Free Birds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Free Birds Reviews

½ February 24, 2017
Pretty dumb movie that doesn't offer much compared to Storks or The Angry Birds Movie.
½ January 11, 2017
Funny animated movie with an interesting story, but, I thought it lacked a little in the storyline and came up short
January 2, 2017
Don't do time travel if you can't.
December 16, 2016
Just another waste of $, talent and energy. Avoid wasting more of your life.
November 24, 2016
Free Birds (2013) is one of those movie that has one heck of a weird concept. Basically it's an animated film about two turkeys named Reggie and Jake. They travel in an egg shaped time machine to 1621 which is where the first Thanksgiving took place. The main goal of the film is to take turkeys off the Thanksgiving menu. I'll admit that the concept is very odd and I didn't think their was much you could do with it. To my surprise I was sort of intrigued on how creative they set things up. Sadly though, This movie does suffer from some weak not well thought out jokes, a very rushed 1st act and a sort of questionable ending. Despite all some of the movie's flaws I still do think the movie has advantages. I really do like the background scenery of 1621 and the main villain pilgrim was surprisingly both witty and kind of threatening. The turkeys from the past are also well meaning and have a interesting way of living. Some of the characters are very likable and do get a couple laughs here and there. Jake and Ranger are kind of annoying sometimes but at least both do mean well. In fact, I won't spoil but there's more to Jake then you'd think and I will admit that I did feel sad for him during one scene with him. The movie does have some very calm and settle moments when it's not being action packed or over the top. These moments really do make me feel that the people were really trying to make something great and while they did fail on doing that I still think the movie is very decent and watchable. It might have it's flaws and the ending is very questionable. Even though it's not a Thanksgiving classic it's still a weird but interesting adventure that I think you may want to watch at least once Especially whenever Thanksgiving is near. (B-)
November 6, 2016
The animation looks cheap, the plot is ridiculous and the characters are not that interesting. Of all the bird puns I could use, I'll just say this movie is for the birds.
September 19, 2016
I really really don't like that.
½ August 27, 2016
Love it. Can't help but watch every time my kids put it on. Family fav.
½ August 13, 2016
Free Birds is convoluted, cliched, and predictable.
½ June 24, 2016
Mission thanksgiving. The turkeys time to fight back!

It is definitely an underrated animation. Okay, I agree, Disney is solely dominating the animation industry, especially at present. But this film is no masterpiece like that Disney makes yet not bad to ignore complete. Yes, there are flaws in it, but very acceptable as they're just minors. In the animations, the real world logics won't apply. So you should try to enjoy it than trying to find the errors.

This film is targeted for children, but then anybody can watch it because it is a beautiful theme with some real laughs in it, only if you forget that you are an adult for a 90 minute. Technically the film quality matches with Disney, Pixer, Dreamworks and even the Sony animation. It is a fine achievement for an outside/new production house to come up with like this. I hope Reel FX would make more animations in the future and compete directly with these top companies.

It was really a star studded cast. I did not know who were they all, but I identified them by their voices. As far as the story, too easy to predict, but somehow it managed to keep me glued to it with its entertaining contents. It is a time travel theme and a quite entertaining film made by the 'Horton Hears a Who' director.

Some are saying it is anti-thanking giving film, but I think it is just a fun film. Although, it was kind of like 'Happy Feet', where a bunch of turkeys tries to loose their kind from the humans grip. But narrated differently, something like in the line of 'Penguins of Madagascar'. I don't think anybody can regret watching it, but then there are people with expectations, so it might fail at them. Overall, it was a decent film for sure if not great as other animations that came in the same year. Waiting for its sequel about 'mission turducken'.

7/10
June 19, 2016
Garbage movie about birds going to get themselves off the thanksgiving menu
June 12, 2016
too avatarish plot-wise but it also has it moments.
½ June 8, 2016
160608: If I was a turkey, I'd be very insulted by this movie. But, I'm not, so I just LMAO instead. I feel for this movie like I do for Surf's Up (2007). A bit of a hidden gem. Owen Wilson was awesome as Reggie. Many great characters for that matter. I even learned that I will no longer require binoculars for the rest of my life. I may even have to become a vegetarian again. Dark & intense at times but many laughs to be had. Some subtle references to other films and at least one tearful moment. Only one negative, a few bad jokes, but at least they didn't come until the very end of the film. Was a bit of a downer after having enjoyed the film so immensely. Last thing; I want to know much Chuck E Cheese paid for the spot?
½ May 1, 2016
4/30/2016: An ok movie and better than anticipated. Had a few laughs.
March 1, 2016
Great movie, could've have a better storyline
February 27, 2016
fantastic animated film great for the whole family glad I saw it
½ January 4, 2016
Had no idea this movie existed, now I know why.
½ December 20, 2015
Is there an option to rate this 0 stars? Cause if there was I would. This was the worst movie of my life!! It was a waste of money, a waste of time, and I saw it with a person I didn't even like. Unless you have no taste in movies, don't watch it!
December 18, 2015
You'd think this crazy-ass plot about turkeys going back in time to take their kind off the menu at the first Thanksgiving might just be insane enough to be inspired. It's not. Aside from the maybe two laughs that it's given, the audience simply scratches its collective head throughout trying to figure out how this thing got made. If not for being super-noticeably low budget and awfully predictable, this animated effort would get a simple "meh" vote from me. But it's mediocrity and inoffensiveness thus gets downgraded to a "blah!"
½ November 28, 2015
the people who probly never een herd of the movie chicken run and its basicly the same thing they just use the a different way so they try ot fool people