Free Birds Reviews

• Dec 02, 2018

Very pointless and forgettable

Very pointless and forgettable

• Nov 25, 2018

Free Birds has some funny jokes, an emotional backstory for one of the characters, a likable time-machine AI and good voice acting but is mostly a mediocre animated movie. The animation is not great. There are a few entertaining visual sequences but it mostly feels like a direct-to-DVD movie with a bigger budget than usual. Maybe I can blame that on the date being pushed back to 2013 since this movie was supposed to come out in 2014 but got released earlier because DreamWorks postponed Mr. Peabody and Sherman leaving a vacant slot before Frozen came out. The movie is also vaguely racist. Ye olde turkeys are all depicted as Native Americans of sorts. To add insult to injury, actual Native Americans do exist and appear in this movie's universe but we don't see a racist depiction of them since we never actually see them until near the end of the movie. Regarding the offensive thing, the beginning of the film also has the main character be blue, cause he's the only sane turkey whilst all the dumb turkeys are red. Hmm... I think the premise sets the tone for what you're in for when you see the movie and the movie's full of animated movie cliches and the people who are meant to be in the wrong actually have a point to be "villains" due to the conditions of the time. Free Birds will keep children entertained but sadly, it does live up to its tagline as "the greatest turkey movie of all time".

• Apr 22, 2018

• Mar 13, 2018

movie to watch one time

movie to watch one time

• Feb 03, 2018

it’s a bad movie. very bad. crude humor.

it’s a bad movie. very bad. crude humor.

• Dec 31, 2017

Flawed, but it was still a good Thanksgiving Movie.

Flawed, but it was still a good Thanksgiving Movie.

• Dec 25, 2017

Nice & funny AND....cute:)

Nice & funny AND....cute:)

• Oct 28, 2017

Interesting for the lite eco-anarchist messages wrapped up in a pretty decently complex time-travel scenario. I'm not sure how I feel about the historical revisionist normalization of the overt, direct link between turkeys and Thanksgiving (an invention of a more recent era - especially since the holiday wasn't even widely celebrated until 242 years after the so-called "first" of 1621), which I have my own problems with that I won't get into. I've now probably used too many complicated words and ideas to analyse a dumb animated comedy movie now, so let's talk about it as entertainment rather than in sociopolitical terms. It's fine, as animated movies go, I've seen far, far worse. I appreciated most that it didn't fall into the usual trap of the typical animated feature story structure (thanks largely to the time travel plot giving it room to try unusual plot developments). It's not mind-blowing, but it's clever enough to be worth at least a look that the reviews might put one off from making. I've maybe overanalysed this. It's an above-average animated film with some pretty unusual ideas that raise it a bit. It's quite specific to American culture, but not something other people can't enjoy regardless.

• Sep 09, 2017

Just weird, but the animation keeps the kid entertained. Likely the only reason I sat through it.