Freedomland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freedomland Reviews

½ November 24, 2017
What I searched for. No threads given. Save for GD and other forum websites. Perhaps a full purge is happening. Me, Gigantopithecus managed to get around the code purge attempt at response. Or oops, nope. and forums...

For anyone upset at this, do be, hugely. Kick at things. Try to find past discussions at Wayback or something to promote a lesser and soon faded site. This is the way, and it is utter shit, and sell-outs are utter shit.

Even a person who might host a comprehensive "Talk HERE from former GD and OT RT posters" would do of benevolence, and yeah, years maybe done, but after google or the net zero or what so long.

I think the best example of this is whoever made the very good "Jumping the Shark" site. Maybe not making billions, but really doing good stuff on when TV shows were like--why, or too much. And other categories. Then bought out by CBS or something. And not to shit on him--a few million for a fan site that had until actual drained monies...

but then Jumping the Shark was useless....

Anyone seeing this should copy-post or screenshot as a rare enter into the purge. Rotten Tomatoes is about to nuclear strike all, every, independent voices, from cunts to morons to wiseasses to noble booger-eaters to cinema veritaes to real-life drug addicts to whatever. And whether or not good/bad, bad was that was that this was done in as dark a dead of night as the Colts fled Baltimore.

[NO TOPICS IN THIS FORUM] is the entirety now of any pushback on whatever purge of the forums may be.

Freedomland is really terrible btw. I'd suggest Moore should be embarrassed about this, except she's been an overrated actress for years. Embarrassed, : YOU Samuel L. Jackson, what is this shit. Is that what your character in Do the Right Thing became?
July 29, 2016
Dont waste your time.
February 9, 2016
Ok movie just a bit slow
½ February 7, 2016
Freedomland is a heavy handed, overwrought look at racism on film. Is it believable... one would like to think not, but with what we see in the news, it seems quite possible. While I don't think the actors involved put forth their best performances, they were still better than a lot with Moore probably giving the best performance with a somewhat subdued Jackson not far behind. This is not a perfect film but I'd still recommend people give it a watch.
½ January 29, 2016
Ensure you can multi-task with other activities while watching this so you won't feel like you totally lost the cost of your time.
September 11, 2015
Good lord Julianne Moore's character is obnoxious in this! Jackson gives a great performance, instead of phoning it in like he usually does these days, he's quite intense. Interesting story where race inequality blows up into almost a riot after a white former junkie tells a stupid white lie to the cops. Ultimately, the story doesn't go far, and several subplots get dropped throughout, but it's still a pretty good watch.
½ August 1, 2015
Freedomland is confusing, tedious, and extremely boring
June 7, 2015
I Like Samuel L. Jackson And I Don't Like Julianne Moore.
May 20, 2015
The book was better...Samuel L. Jackson gives a good performance.
April 16, 2015
This movie had so much potential - two amazing actors and a tense, racially charged plot idea. And it opens with a super tense beginning! But, it falls apart quickly. Samuel Jackson's detective character is completely inept in all areas of detective work, especially securing the suspect. And as awesome as Julianne Moore is, her character is really lame and the dialogue she is given is extremely difficult to understand. I was bummed that I watched this, but even more bummed that two great actors were wasted so thoroughly. Still, Samuel L.'s glassed were cool...
½ March 5, 2015
Painful acting by Moore. I'm not a fan even on her good days. What IS her actual accent, I'll never know. PLEASE just speak normally and don't try to mimic an accent unto which you've not bothered to study or research. I promise, we'll get it. Disjointed movie from the get go,with no redeeming qualities. Mr. Jackson can't even save this flopper.l
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
I thought this was pretty good and i like Samuel L Jacksons movies often. Okey story aswell.
November 17, 2014
One of the best films of the 2000's and Samuel L. Jackson most real performance
October 6, 2014
The power that drives the first two-thirds of "Freedomland" is something author Stephen King describes as "the gotta." Screenwriter Richard Price sets a fascinating plot in motion and you just gotta keep watching because you just gotta find out what happens next and you just gotta know how it ends.

The mystery is absorbing, but unfortunately, the big reveal is botched and a lot less dramatic than it should be. The film is based in part on the real-life case of Susan Smith, and the writing is quite good as it not only focuses on the crime drama aspect but also deals directly with the racial tension caused by these accusations. Price has written some fine films over the years, and I would include this among them despite the reservations I had with the film's final act.

Julianne Moore is at the center of the mystery, and her performance is the centerpiece of the film, at times heart-wrenching even when you know her motives cannot be trusted. It's a credit to the actor when you empathize with her character without really trusting her. Also good in a supporting performance is Edie Falco, head of a parent's group helping to locate Moore's missing boy. She is superb in the film's single best scene in which her conversation with Moore about her missing child subtly turns into a subversive attempt at getting a confession.

"Freedomland" is a smart film that falters in the third act. There are some stunning performances and a terrific script, but the resolution doesn't feel as satisfying as it should.
September 15, 2014
A note to Julianne Moore, who may just as well be my favourite actress working today:

I know you're capable of choosing much better films to express your talent in than this. I can't imagine seeing another performance which restricts your abilities as an actress once again like this.
½ June 22, 2014
Pretty bad movie. Slow, confusing plot, poor direction, overdramatic performances, mostly Moore.
½ May 31, 2014
Good Movie, but sad...
May 25, 2014
To me, this film was too hard to follow. I really wanted to get into it, but I just couldn't. Maybe you would have better luck than me.
May 25, 2014
Extremely difficult to follow.
½ May 24, 2014
greatness could have been but still a OK movie- yoda