Frida - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frida Reviews

November 22, 2016
Salma Hayek is truly fabulous. Alfred Molina Is quite perfect too!
The story lacks a lot of things, but they are trying to portray an artist in just 2 hours.... And I think they did a good job.
September 25, 2016
Love everything about this movie...
September 24, 2016
I first watched Frida when I knew absolutely nothing about her and the time period background when Mexico was going through and Mexico in general. The second time I watched is decades later, I have learned much about and taken intense interests in Mexico as well as Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera and all other things around them, I then absolutely adore this movie immensely.

The movie has some of its excellent visual effects to tell the story of some certain sequences. And because the centerpiece is around Mexico and Frida, one has to expect to see so much of Mexico City. I remember they even used The Gran Hotel interior as part of Frida' s journey in Paris. And it really fits. Of course there is Day of the Dead as well. I can probably go on forever on all the Mexican elements I love about Frida. But most importantly, the life-long struggles of Frida' s is painstaking but inspiring. I really admire Frida.
July 31, 2016
Love love Frida the story is great and the music is out of this world
July 13, 2016
Such a beautiful film I was sleeping on!!
July 11, 2016
Film biografico di discreta fattura che ci introduce un personaggio di cui forse si è sentito parlare per sfuggita. Le opere dell'artista vengono inserite e contestualizzate all'interno del film in modo eccellente e la ricostruzione scenografica è piuttosto convincente. La scelta degli attori è riuscita ma il film in generale non va oltre la sufficienza. In troppe occasioni perde la velocità di narrazione che caratterizzava le scene precedenti e fin troppo spesso non ci sono abbastanza elementi da tenere alto l'interesse nello spettatore.
½ April 24, 2016
An exceptional and visually striking biopic of an extraordinary painter. Great performances throughout, and more importantly, major props to director Julie Taymor. Frida is terrific.
April 5, 2016
Great biopic about someone not english and very worldly. Salma is doing a superb job. The visuals are very colorful, imaginative and convey a feel of grandeur. Great portrait.
½ March 27, 2016
An interesting look at Frida Kahlo's adult life. The cinematography fits the mood.
February 21, 2016
Salma Hayek does an outstanding job. "Frida" is a biopic about suffering that is beautiful in almost every aspect.
½ February 17, 2016
watched this in psyc today! it was so boring!
½ February 3, 2016
Frida takes multiple stylistic cheap shots and forsakes much of its authenticity for pandering to a mainstream audience, but its transcendent performances and gorgeous visual palette make it well worth a watch.
½ January 14, 2016
There are some glimpses at a unique artist, but too much of the film is focused on a bad romance story. It's very graphic too. (First and only viewing - 1/15/2016)
December 13, 2015
Biopic of Frida Kahlo, a monobrowed mexican artist fighting sexism in several aspects of her life. Not too bad but pretty boring in general. I bet there aint many women who can get back at their husband's infidelity by getting off with Trotsky, nice one Frida.
October 4, 2015
I learned about a lot Frida Kahlo in my Spanish class and we eventually watched this movie. I thought Frida was a decent but very fascinating biopic. It may have not describe the events of Frida's life in the best way but it did its job. Very spirited and emotional, this film can be very moving for some people. You don't care for any characters in this film besides Frida and Diego. Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina act off each other very well in this movie. The colors and sets were eye candy for movie lovers. I probably got all I needed from this film in one viewing but the movie flowed nicely, had good acting, and was an overall interesting film.
September 15, 2015
Julie Taymor's best film.

Vibrant colors, brilliant visuals, and astounding performances from Hayek, Molina, and everyone on screen.
½ August 1, 2015
When it comes to artists, most countries have a couple of them that managed to earn a place in the history of art. Spain has Salvador Dali and Picasso, Italy has most of the Renaissance artists, Netherland has Vincent Van Gogh, Norway has Edvard Munch and Mexico has Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo.
We follow the life of a prettier version of Frida Kahlo, from her teen years to her final days.
As a Mexican I have to admit that while I don't generally like Kahlo´s work as the majority of it is monotonous self-portraits (but when she goes for surrealism she shines gorgeously), but I have always find her story fascinating and sad, so there was plenty of source material for a drama and this biopic takes advantage of most of her tragic life. "Frida" is well made biopic that offers some interesting visuals, most of the acting is extremely solid with the best being Salma Hayek in her best performance to date (although it isn't that impressive either) and always fun to watch Alfred Molina, it uses the Mexican environment wisely, Molina and Hayek had pretty good chemistry, the corridos of the soundtrack are actually quite enjoyable to my surprise, the screenplay is straightforward and narrates numerous moments of this tragic life (I am extremely glad that they didn't leave out her political agenda), and it has some actually funny segments. With all the good of the film being said, let's address the issues of this biopic. Julie Taymor´s direction is extremely unbalanced, at times it is generic and manages to subtlety mimic Kahlo´s paintings in certain shots but then it becomes pretentious and extremely heavy handed; it follows most of the "Mexican clichés" (which I already mention in my review of "The Book of Life"), the pacing is inconsistent as it starts with this rushed vibe but by the second half it slow things out, some important moments of Frida´s life are briefly explored while others are stretched needlessly, Hayek doesn't exactly looks like Kahlo (I get that they are trying to make her prettier-just because she has one eyebrow that doesn't make her as ugly- but that contradicts the whole message of the film), and I hate the fact that Spanish is the native language of most of the cast and the film is about a Mexican artist set in Mexico, so why they speak that dreadful "Spanglish"?
"Frida" is an uneven biopic that has its moments but also has its flaws. I appreciate the fact they told a lot of Kahlo´s story thus making it an educational experience, but it doesn't has a lot to offer.
June 15, 2015
Hayek's best performance with the equally steady Molina in the good bio-pick.
June 3, 2015
Frida is a beautifully entertaining ode to the beloved artist. The colors are magnificent and Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina are spectacular as the bickering but loving Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.
March 12, 2015
A unique look into a true story with naked Selma hyaek