Galaxy Quest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Galaxy Quest Reviews

October 22, 2016
It's a winner. Even 17 years later, this movie is still funny and worth watching. The CGI's slightly dated look is just right for the nature of this satire. The comic timing of every actor is close to perfect.
½ October 15, 2016
Not really that funny. It is more of a coming of age story. The story is pretty good and concentrates nicely on each character. The characters do a really good job. It was good to see Alan Rickman. Overall it was a decent movie.
October 11, 2016
It's really dumb, but it's also really clever. It's cheesy as can be, but so likable. I went in expecting to just groan the whole time (I did for the first third), but by the last third, I was enjoying myself thoroughly. It's not a masterpiece, but it's really fun.
½ September 11, 2016
What a perfect way to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of Star Trek! This looked cheesy, and the premise (actors roped into an intergalactic adventure) seemed worthy of Ed Wood... but I'd heard it has a cult following, so when it popped up on Netflix I gave it a chance.

It's actually a pretty adorable parody of Star Trek in which washed up actors playing the fan club circuit do get roped into an adventure - but much of the wit comes from the unlikely circumstances through which everything plays out just like an episode of Star Trek - and the spectrum of reactions that the actors have toward this.

It's entirely unlike "Spaceballs". In that movie, Mel Brooks just used Star Wars as a canvas on which to put his shtick. Galaxy Quest is done from the inside - it was clearly written by big Star Trek fans who simultaneously love the show while being acutely aware of its absurdities, and who have a similar love and amusement for the Trekkies who take their love of the show a little too far.
August 28, 2016
This has been on my list of movies I've been meaning to see for years, and I'm so glad I finally pulled the trigger on it. It is a brilliantly meta send-up on sci-fi tropes and conventions. But it's also a lovely and heartwarming story about people stepping up and reluctantly becoming the heroes they were only pretending to be. Now I wish this would've become a franchise. Ahead of its time,and more relevant than ever.
August 21, 2016
It gets better as time goes on.
½ August 9, 2016
As ridiculous as this movie is it is still one that I find incredibly enjoyable every time that I watch it. It brilliantly spoofs Star Trek and convention culture while at the same time offering a decent sci-fi space exploration story. I found this to be very fun and I can't recommend it enough.
½ July 18, 2016
Interesting story, great cast and lots of fun. Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub and Daryl Mitchell are the cast of a classic sci-fi TV show and it has been 20 years since. They always appear in sci-fi conventions just for money. Tim is egoistic and narcissistic, often turning up late but most popular. Alan dislike him the most. In the toilet, Tim overheard some people laughing at his stupidity and he snapped during the autograph. Real aliens Enrico Colantoni, Patrick Breen, Missi Pyle, Jed Rees find Tim to be their ship commander and to negotiate with alien enemy Robin Sachs. Tim thought they are just from another show and follow. When Robin demand the omega 13 (the show's secret weapon), Tim order the crew to fire at him and leave. He then realize they are real aliens when he is cover in jell and transport thru space and back to home. He knock into super geek fan Justin Long and took the wrong transponder given by the aliens. Tim ask the rest to join him when Missi appear again to go back for negotiation. Sam Rockwell who is an extra actor also tag along. The rest also thought it is another gig but is startle when they go thru the transportation. Tim is still hype up and command Daryl to pilot the ship. When Enrico show them what happen to the last commander been torture by the enemy, the crew realize this shit is for real. They can't return as the enemy demand his request. They were attack and then force to go into a magnetic minefield. Suffering heavy damage to the ship, the crew need to find a energy source from another planet to power up the ship. Tim devise the plan to get it from the small alien critters but is stranded. When the alien told Tony there's a way to save him by digitizing him but it never succeed before. Tim ask him to take a shot and Tony who like Missy and feel power up after seeing her take the shot and save him. The enemies taken over the ship. Enrico still believe in Tim. When he show their drama to Robin, he laugh and force Tim to reveal the truth to Enrico. Robin order them all for death into space. Tim and Alan pretend to fight, copying 1 of the episode and they over power the captors instead. Alan and one escaped alien who is a big fan of him went to save the rest trapped in suffocation chamber. Tim and Sigourney use the transponder to contact Justin who guides them around the ship. Daryl watch the old episodes and learn to pilot. Tony digitize the rock monster who is fighting Tim back to the ship to kill the other enemies still on board. When the alien got shot dead, Alan went berserk and fight the aliens. Tim manage to stop the ship from destruction. They go into the mine field again to lure the enemy. Then dragging the mines, they head towards the enemy and blow it to bits via the mines. They have to separate when going back to Earth and Tim tell Enrico he is a good commander to be and pass the baton to him. Robin still not dead appear as Tony and then kill everyone in the deck. Tim activate omega 13 which is actually a device to go back in time 13 seconds. Tim manage to stop Robin and the ship landed at the convention which they are late for. The fans go crazy when they appear in such manner. Robin appear again and Tim kills him with the ray gun. The show is back on again due to the popular revival. Tony and Missy are an item and she also appear in the show. Sam also got a bigger role instead of been an unknown extra.
½ July 13, 2016
/B/ I hadn't watched this movie for about 15 years. It has aged quite well.
½ July 11, 2016
I actually saw parts of this film as a kid and didn't realize it until the part where they're on the deserted 'moony' planet halfway through the film and the 'cute' little green aliens reveal their yellow eyes and their long fangs and tear the wounded alien apart. Fucked me up as a kid, lmfao. I totally forgot about being scared until I rewatched it again a couple years ago. Yeah. Anyways, the main cast is great, memorable and it's a fun adventure all the way through. I think Alan Rickman and the "By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged" quote sold it to me. Harmless, campy, stupid and refreshingly enjoyable fun. All you can really say.
July 1, 2016
Funny with its Meta humor but no short of exciting action too.
June 16, 2016
I love this movie. It always makes me laugh. It's The Three Amigos in space!
½ May 25, 2016
The cast is exceptional, the story is excellent, and this is extremely fun.
May 12, 2016
Fun and smart satire that's enjoyable for all audiences.
May 12, 2016
it was good and funny... the casting was good too
April 18, 2016
Clever, funny, and a whole lot of fun, "Galaxy Quest" is a smart parody film that is an absolute blast to watch and still holds up today.
April 9, 2016
Very funny and full of heart
April 1, 2016
Une très bonne parodie des films de SF...
April 1, 2016
"Galaxy Quest" is both a delightful comedy and an intelligent parody.
March 16, 2016
Best SciFi comedy of all time.
-easily my favorite movie, ever.