Gambit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gambit Reviews

½ November 28, 2018
Mildly entertaining.
November 6, 2017
One of the worst "comedies" I have ever seen.
October 15, 2017
A pretty average heist movie. Not funny enough or clever enough. Firth is cringeworthy and Diaz is mediocre at best. At least the late great Mr Rickman and the always awesome Stanley Tucci lend it a bit of style!
June 14, 2017
Definitely, the film is not perfect - it should perhaps have gone through one more script edit. But it has entertainment value in the comedy/ suspense / criminality genre. All things considered, Colin Firth pulled it off quite well. Combining some of the physical comedy scenes would be arguably by far best suited to Rowan Atkinson, in his Mr. Bean persona. But these, along with the badly treated by the boss from hell aspects, along with the suspenseful and human interaction scenes together equal quite a range stretch for an actor's talents. Bottom line, not the best of the Coen brothers, but worth a watch.
May 27, 2017
Not the greatest plot for a heist movie. Cameron Diaz seemed out of place in her role.
December 20, 2016
Colin Firth and Carmen Diaz in a rather formulaic tale of double crossing in the art market.
September 19, 2016
Alan Rickman did his job. He showed up to work. He had believable lines and you came away liking him more than any other character. The problem for the Gambit is that is not the protagonist,. The protagonist is a sniveling piece of "work" name Harry Deane who is flawed morally and financially. I actually liked the fact that I was not emotionally invested in the main characters win. Just because the story is told from their point of you that its should be a linear tale of their heroism and triumph. Sometimes a story is just a story that you are willing to follow along with --to learn something or be entertained. -I dislike the main characters being cartoonishly good. So Colin Firth and Alan Rickman did the movie proud in my estimation And had it not been for its other flaws this may I been a winner. I am not sure what country Diaz and Tucci are really suppose to be from.. They are cartoon stereotypes of actually countries. There is a way to do that if you can be in on the joke. But I am not sure it comes off this way. I think had the script completely fallen apart from reality in the last 30 minutes. This is where there maybe a battle of tone. If you are a funnier version of Oceans 11 (spoiler alert) a scene where a multi-millionaire would use a Lion for security instead of any real gadgets available to anyone of means must breaks the audience out of feeling its a smart caper. Had I paid for this movie--I would have found the ticket stand and demanded a refund.
I found it on Netflix so I will happily give the late Alan Rickman a decent rating for his performance.
½ August 26, 2016
The occasional lashing of the Coens' genius makes this average comedy just about watchable.
August 24, 2016
So much fun - whatever the critics say. I like this vesion better than the original.
August 9, 2016
Some funny scences actually occur.
½ August 6, 2016
Ni el estar escrita por los hermanos Coen, o el tener a dos grandes como Alan Rickman y Colin Firth en el reparto, salvan a este churro. Ni graciosa, ni entretenida, me quedo con la versión original con Michael Caine y Shirley MacLaine.
½ August 1, 2016
Normally I love the Coen Brothers, but this film was flat except for Colin Firth, who was struggling manfully with a terrible plot adaption of the classic comedy that starred Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine. Even Tom Courtney, Alan Rickman and Stanley Tucci disappointed in this flick, and they are usually fantastic. Cameron Diaz has never been exactly a Sarah Bernhardt , but even for her limited talent, this was a low point. I was looking forward to seeing this one, but it was a bona fide dud.
½ July 20, 2016
Not hilarious but acceptable light entertainment. I expected better from the coen brothers but with this cast of non-comedians it didn't really work.
May 24, 2016
no idea wat even happened in this movie rubbish
April 3, 2016
Nice little caper. Loved Alan Rickman and Cameron Diaz ass in those cowgirl jeans
March 16, 2016
Expected ending. It is hard for a woman to win over aging, not even a woman like Diaz. Firth was as usual trying to be an Englishman or British gentleman again.
March 15, 2016
It's not a great film by any stretch but it hardly deserves the scathing reviews thrown at it. The plot may be ridiculous (a high-tech security system consisting of one lion?!) and the jokes may be old, but Colin Firth puts in a good performance and there are some.genuinely funny moments (the Japanese businessmen purposefully playing up to stereotypes spring to mind). It's not a good film, but go in with an open mind and you'll certainly get a few laughs and enjoy yourself.
February 7, 2016
Not too bad.

Rickman had a nice body... :)
½ February 1, 2016
Gambit is a boring film. It is about an art curator decides to seek revenge on his abusive boss by conning him into buying a fake Monet. Colin Firth and Alan Rickman give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Michael Hoffman did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ January 19, 2016
Absolutely hilarious! Excellent script, and superb cast.