Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes Reviews

October 20, 2016
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes isn't particularly sophisticated, but it is such a fun and funny film that feels so modern owing to its awesome mix of strong sexuality, weird and over-the-top humor and an infectious energy. Marilyn Monroe is so good here, but Jane Russell is even better and the two are such a great duo. The film is such a good comedy, but also a great musical as it is filled with many catchy songs and so well choreographed musical numbers. It's unabashedly light and fluffy, but fun and charming nonetheless.
July 18, 2016
Quirky and average much like Monroe
July 15, 2016
Most fabulous Musical {Sharpay follows of course} and they rocked this role in the Lorelei and Dorothy with their fabulous dance moves (even just strutting) and their smooth vocals not too harsh on the ear.
June 25, 2016
Mighty entertaining. Jane Russel is an absolute FOX in this.
½ April 7, 2016
Sexy, funny, and lively with spirit, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is my first experience with a Marilyn Monroe film and needless to say.....I can see why everyone liked her! Her effortless sex-appeal envelops the screen and it almost doesn't matter whether she's a good actress or not; her charm is all she needs. The story follows two singers aboard a cruise to Paris and due to Monroe's flamboyant and promiscuous personality, her suspicious husband has hired a private detective to make sure she stays in line and isn't just marrying him for his money. The plot is paper thin and really only acts as the setup for the lavish musical numbers, but the movie is pure entertainment and so it can be forgiven. The character, Monroe plays is 100% materialistic which she makes crystal-clear in her iconic, "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" number and thus the character we identify with is her best friend, Dorothy, played with sly, grace by Jane Russell! In an ironic twist of fate, she begins to fall in love with the private detective which naturally complicates things with hilarious results. There's not much to say about this one, but it is a highly enjoyable musical with two very good-looking stars, some great moments of comedy, and a timeless feel due to the talents of Howard Hawks behind the camera.
March 5, 2016
While not one of Hawks' best, it's still thoroughly entertaining
February 9, 2016
Very good acting, and characters. Classic flick.
January 11, 2016
Friends with very different points of view on finding a man, interest tailed off towards the end with the police involvement and manipulating of the old man, may have better been served taking this in a alternate direction midway
½ December 12, 2015
Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell's dazzling performances keep this simple, upbeat musical going.
November 19, 2015
A complete fun ride with two totally opposite (Blonde and Dark Haired) ladies on a magnificent cruise and later into the streets of Paris. Together they offer you twist of one seductive yet dumb girl befriended with intelligent and witty one. Musical numbers are the highlight of the film.
½ October 3, 2015
Finally watched this classic Marilyn Monroe film directed by Howard Hawks and co-starring Jane Russell. It's pretty funny and entertaining. Not the greatest film, but is entertaining enough. Give it a try.
August 23, 2015
I'm sure it was a pretty racy movie in its time. Fun trip back in time of early movies. Even included some classic cartoons instead of previews.
August 19, 2015
There is so much to love about Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. It's a feast for the eyes, with eye popping colour, fabulous costumes and of course the presence of Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell. Monroe is charming as ever, but even in her irresistible glow, Jane Russell steals the show. Hard edged and witty with legs for days, she is a credible dancer and singer, but an even better actress. Her and Monroe appear to be having a blast together and Monroe pulls less of her lost little girl act to match Russell when they're on screen together. It might be a bit of fluff, but it's most definatly a worthwhile and entertaining piece of fluff.
½ May 28, 2015
Distantly devoted to the film, Monroe's "Novocane in her Lipstick" blonde bombshell Lorelei Lee coins a perfect performance as one half of a singing double act and steals the picture completely as it really is her film. Jane Russell is a flawlessly restrained chalk to Marilyn's cheese and gives a very good performance also. The script is undeniably funny but also snarkily witty and understated and works wonderfully against the sequin studded dresses and glittering backdrops of songs like Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend.
May 9, 2015
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is an incredible film. It is about Lorelei Lee and Dorothy Shaw who travel to Paris but are pursued by a private detective. Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell give fantastic performances. The screenplay is entertaining but has a few slow places. Howard Hawks did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and romance. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is a must see.
½ April 12, 2015
A fun and entertaining film.
½ March 29, 2015
A fun movie to watch, except for the singing. I'm not sure why such a big deal was made about Marilyn Monroe, since Jane Russell clearly is the better actress in this film. She steals the scenes with her intelligence, sass and sexuality. I found Monroe's character annoying, while Russell was enticing. I also thought it was interesting how openly Monroe and Russell portray their sexuality for a movie made in the early 50's.
March 17, 2015
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

Dorothy Shaw and Lorelei Lee are down on their luck singers. They are hired as entertainers on a train traveling to Paris. The train has an assortment of guests, many of which capture the girl's attention. Will the girls finally find a chance at happiness rather than just scraping by?

"You must think I was born yesterday."
"Sometimes there's no possible other explanation."

Howard Hawks, director of The Big Sleep, His Girl Friday, Rio Bravo, Bringing up Baby, Monkey Business, Scarface (1932), Hatari, and I was a Male War Bride, delivers Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. The storyline for this picture was fairly week and seemed like an excuse to showcase Monroe. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Charles Coburn, Elliott Reid, Tommy Noonan, and Marcel Dalio.

"You'll find that I mean business."
"Really? Then why are you wearing that hat?"

This is a movie I came across on Netflix and immediately added to my wish list. I was a little disappointed in this film as it wasn't that dramatic or heartfelt. I felt it was just an excuse to market Marilyn. Overall, this is a must see classic film to see Marilyn, but isn't one of the all time classics by a long shot.

"Men are the same way everywhere."

Grade: C+
½ March 13, 2015
A very funny and entertaining musical in gorgeous Technicolor, with excellent dialogue, an animal magnetism exuded by Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe, and nice musical numbers like "Bye, Bye Baby" and Monroe's glamorous rendition of "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend".
½ March 4, 2015
I love when Hollywood wasn't PC...