Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes Reviews

August 28, 2017
I love classic Hollywood films, especially GPB, the movie is fantastic, Jane Russel and Marilyn Monroe worked perfectly well together, they're the dream duo
½ June 1, 2017
my favourite marilyn film b4 the pills and the marriages and the shit dragged her down
May 26, 2017
This thing is as shallow as a diamond ring, & every bit as infectiously appealing. Full of great one-liners & direction that perfectly times every song / joke cut, it takes difficult-to-love aristocrats & somehow makes them watchable. Monroe is so specifically & hilariously in her element, with her iconic "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" number working as both iconic & fun within the larger context of her ditzy but empowered character. Is it Hawks best? No, but that says little when talking about one of the greats.
May 14, 2017
Outdated sentiments and ideals of course but charming and sexy all wrapped up in a tortilla full of funny. Memorable songs and settings, GPB is a time capsule to when musicals ruled the cinemas.
May 5, 2017
An Interesting romp, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is a stylistically a treat, Oh Marilyn!
March 13, 2017
for the record i prefer brunettes
March 9, 2017
Jane Russell crushes this movie. She is delightful as the wise and sarcastic friend. I found her entire arc, including her romance with Elliott Reid, to be the highlight of the film. She also has some great song and dance numbers that are a treat. I could have used even more songs throughout it, because they were a bit spread out. If this was Gentlemen Prefer Brunettes, and she was the lead I might have loved this movie more.

Sadly, it's the ditzy blonde, Marilyn Monroe who takes the lead. I get that she's attractive, but it drives me nuts that the entire plot of this film revolves around her having such a powerful hold on every man that she can get them to do whatever she wants. It doesn't help that she is shallow to an astronomical degree and cares for money and diamonds over basically anything.

They try to portray her character as someone who exists in this gray area where you're not sure if she is actually an idiot or just playing the fool. However too many of her actions in the film betray her stupidity, so it didn't work for me. There's even a final confrontation where they try to justify her gold digging philosophy and I just shook my head.

My frustration with Marilyn and her behavior in the movie are probably making it seem like I despised Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, but I did have some fun with it. There are some scenes that are hilarious, and unexpected. The music was a welcome treat, although I probably have heard Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend enough times to last a lifetime. Not a bad movie, but also not one I'll likely recommend to anyone else.
March 9, 2017
Entertaining. Smart. Sweet and innocent.
February 19, 2017
I enjoyed this now older movie/musical. Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe have a great dynamic on screen being friendly and adversarial simultaneously.
February 16, 2017
Feminism has come a long way. So this is about a pair of showgirls (Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell) on route to Paris via a luxury ship. A private detective (Elliott Reid) starts snooping around, and his purpose on the ship is to investigate potential infidelity. Now I will admit it: in my focus to watch everything that I could get my hands on that came out in the year of 2016, my wife and I fell a bit behind watching the classics of the past in making our way through the 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list. We seriously start our New Year's Resolutions after her birthday in February, so we are back at it again. What better way to kick it back off with a Marilyn Monroe classic that I have never seen before? Now I must confess that I never truly realized the extent of how iconic this movie is. In fact, there are connections that I never put together until now, like the staging of the number "The Math of Love Triangles" from the underrated television series Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, or the introduction number to Satine in one of my favorite movies of all time, Moulin Rouge. I was quite simply none the wiser due to my lack of exposure. I also don't have a lot of experience with Marilyn Monroe movies either; I've seen bits and pieces of Some Like It Hot, but really, that's about it. Watching this, you can totally see why she was considered to be such a big deal back in the day. She just exudes sex appeal, and she does it so effortlessly; you can totally see why men had their tongues on the floor for her. Sure, she is playing a bit of an airhead in this, but she can be smart when it matters, as you will see when you watch this. I also like the friendship she shares with the character played by Jane Russell; Russell is the better actress, so she does handle a lot of the heavy lifting in carrying this movie, and just like in real life, the friends that you keep don't necessarily have to match your own personality 100%. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is a wonderful little musical. There's not a ton of directorial flair, but there are charming set pieces and musical numbers a plenty. The costuming is ridiculously well done, and every time Marilyn steps out in a new dress, it is comment worthy. It's only 90 minutes, it moves fast, and you should absolutely take the time to watch this if it is missing from your film education.
February 12, 2017
Light, frothy fun, anchored by two strong central performances.
January 13, 2017
Excellent movie, check it out
December 28, 2016
Marilyn Monroe performs her iconic "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" in this censor-baiting Howard Hawks-directed Fox musical; Jane Russell gets her own campy solo to "Anyone Here For Love" in this colorful adaptation of the Broadway show.
½ December 27, 2016
A classic musical from the fifties. Though none of the songs really strike me as being special, the talents of Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell are paired well together. I found it entertaining. (First and only full viewing - 6/27/2010)
December 24, 2016
50s musical charm at its finest. Great songs to sing along to, several quotable one-liners, and fantastic buddy chemistry between Russell and Monroe.
December 5, 2016
Wow, this is a product of its times. Marilyn Monroe plays the most sexist charicature of a 1950s woman. Interested only in men for their money, and transparently using sex appeal to extract it from men. All of the conversations are about finding a man, even though she's engaged. What is redeeming about this film by today's standards? I have no idea.
December 3, 2016
Classic fluff at it's best. Followed by a sequel: Gentlemen Marry Brunettes (1955). On Blu-ray.
½ December 1, 2016
A very funny and entertaining musical in gorgeous Technicolor, with excellent dialogue, an animal magnetism exuded by Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe, and nice musical numbers like "Bye, Bye Baby" and Monroe's glamorous rendition of "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend."
½ November 25, 2016
A great film from Hollywoods finest perood. Monroe absolutely stunning. Humorous fin film.
½ November 20, 2016
A fun '50s musical with some laughs and a classic story.