Get Smart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Get Smart Reviews

½ January 17, 2017
Get Smart will have you smiling the whole time, chuckling and giggling for a healthy chunk of it, and a handful of times it'll make you laugh until it hurts. Surprisingly solid action, a very likable role for Steve Carell, and Anne Hathaway showing more charm than ever. Alan Arkin, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson...they're all good. Not an instant classic, but definitely worth catching if you need a laugh. Some terrific one-liners and physical comedy. Steve Carrell seems to be channeling more of his Daily Show persona and less of Michael Scott, and it's good to be reminded of his comedic range. Rated PG-13 for a few profanities and a handful of vulgar jokes/innuendo. ***1/2 (out of five).
January 14, 2017
Great action comedy. As you would expect, Steve Carrell is top notch as a bumbling agent, he's like inspector closesau. (If you don't know who that is, stop whatever you're doing and go watch a movie entitled a shot in the dark) With such a game cast, funny jokes and thrilling action, you really can't go wrong. Not necessarily a must see, but you will laugh a lot, unless you only like high comedy.
December 31, 2016
Ironically, Get Smart was not smart at all, I probably lost a chunk of brain cells after watching this. It has no humour from the source material, mostly cheap slapsticks and crude jokes. The only shining star was Terry Crews.
December 29, 2016
This is a movie I have seen multiple times and often reference with friends. It's one that so easily could have consisted of a clumsy main character with a lack of intelligence but instead, has a witty book smart one learning to apply his knowledge to the real world. It's full of great moments that will make you laugh and smile. I definitely recommend it, one of my favorite movies
jamrcla
December 7, 2016
Some funny bits but overall pretty average, It's the American version of Johnny English.
November 27, 2016
11/26/2016: It was ok, but disappointing considering the cast.
½ November 6, 2016
Steve Carell remains as funny as ever in Get Smart.
October 29, 2016
Not bad, but not that great either.
October 25, 2016
Movie Review: Get Smart
Do you like the movies like James bond and with more humor to them, well then Get Smart might just be the movie for you. Starring Steve Carell (Maxwell Smart) Anne Hathaway (Agent 99) Alan Arkin(The Chief) and Dwayne Johnson as (Agent 23), this comedy of the agency CONTROL VS the Agency KAOS in order to save the world from nuclear threats. Agents 86 and 99 must Locate these devices and stop KAOS. This movies is full of the cute humor that Steve Carell provides in every movie like Dinner for Schmucks or The 40 Year Old Virgin. The one thing the movie lacks that everything else makes up for is the lack of more backstory on characters like Agent 23 or why these agencies exist in the first place. Otherwise this movie will always have a special place in heart of the Steve Carell movies.
½ September 3, 2016
Adequate cast but lacklustre script.
August 28, 2016
Funneh as helly smart
½ July 30, 2016
Conventional, silly, beyond preposterous, but also funny, competently made, and thoroughly entertaining. I had a pretty good time watching "Get Smart". I laughed quite a bit and the set pieces were fun to watch.
July 13, 2016
Every time I see this movie I laugh SO hard!
½ June 28, 2016
Get Smart was boring and dreadful. Get Smart is probably Steve Carrell's worst movie yet. This movie lacks so much comedy. I would not suggest this movie.
½ June 11, 2016
This is good. Nothing amazing but I did laugh a lot
June 4, 2016
Steve Carell seems to be closer to a Leslie Nielsen imitation (a poor one), than Don Adams, but this modern movie update is nothing like the television series. It's both too long, and too unfunny.
May 15, 2016
Lots of great action, but minimal comedy that made me laugh out loud. I did chuckle often, but it's not something I'd watch again. Steve Carell did not surprise me at all, doing the same old shtick he does in every movie (there's even a scene here that's exactly like the "Oooh Kelly Clarkson" bit in 40 Year Old Virgin...except in an airplane bathroom) so maybe that's why I wasn't laughing that much. And Anne Hathaway's character was so deadly serious the whole time, she could not provide any laughs. BUT I loved Alan Arkin as The Chief...YES!
April 4, 2016
It's a comedy. It's hilarious. It did it's job. There isn't anything else we should judge it on.
½ March 22, 2016
It's sad how painfully unfunny Get Smart is. Stranded, it's cast is misplaced and wasted as the "jokes" are of the lowest intellect variety.
March 16, 2016
I prefer Michael Scott on The Office.