Get Smart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Get Smart Reviews

½ July 21, 2017
Really funny first half, but runs out of steam in the second, becoming a generic and forgettable spy comedy. It's better than Johnny English at least.
½ June 17, 2017
was funny as f**k.. Was a good film and was laughing through the whole lot but was a surprising ending...
June 9, 2017
Get Smart is directed by Peter Segal, and it stars Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway, Dwayne Johnson, Alan Arkin, and Terence Stamp in an action comedy about an analyst agent that wants to be in the field, but CONTROL wouldn't let Maxwell (Steve Carell) to do so. So when something happened to CONTROL, they have no choice but to put Maxwell in the field with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway), who thinks that he's not prepared for the field. I've seen this a few times only for the fact hat Steve Carell is in this, and I wanted to watch this again because I found it on HBO on DirecTV, which got me to DVR it and watch Get Smart, which is a great film. The acting has the comedic chops for the jokes that go by quick, especially Steve Carell who's the best part of the film, and I got a lot of laughs from him. The chemistry between the main characters is fine with some good jokes, but it's a very generic one that you've seen in many buddy cop films. The action scenes are fun to watch, and are also done in a bit of a comedic way. The characters are good, and the villain has some interesting moments, even if I wanted more of it. Some of the jokes don't always but there are so many jokes afterwards that make me laugh that I forgot them for a while. Get Smart is a really funny movie that this would be the closest to a James Bond parody to me without it actually being a James Bond film.
½ May 31, 2017
There are some laughs to be had, but overall its a mildly entertaining film.
May 22, 2017
Get Smart isn't exactly the most recommendable TV show based film in the world. In fact, it works better as a stand-alone film...it worked for me anyway. Fortunately, the film redeems itself with plenty of laughs, some perfectly serviceable action sequences and the charm that is present whenever Steve Carell is on the screen with Anne Hathaway seeming committed in the role of the almost no-nonsense Agent 99. I recently watched an alternative version of this film where the viewer can get to see deleted/alternate versions of scenes that didn't make it into the final cut and I was thorougly amused by them. As I said, the film still works better as a stand-alone film in my opinion but nevertheless remains amusing enough to serve as suitable recommendation for both fans of the original Mel Brooks TV show and regular film junkies like me.
May 18, 2017
favourite movie of all time
April 12, 2017
Get Smart, while well acted, fails to be smart or as fun as it should be.
March 24, 2017
Carell did what he does, and what is expected.
February 24, 2017
A great afternoon movie, with a really nice blend of Action & Comedy.
I loved the performances of the characters, especially Steve Carell's straight face & his attitude, which was unusual, but hilarious!
January 28, 2017
a must see carell film
½ January 17, 2017
Get Smart will have you smiling the whole time, chuckling and giggling for a healthy chunk of it, and a handful of times it'll make you laugh until it hurts. Surprisingly solid action, a very likable role for Steve Carell, and Anne Hathaway showing more charm than ever. Alan Arkin, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson...they're all good. Not an instant classic, but definitely worth catching if you need a laugh. Some terrific one-liners and physical comedy. Steve Carrell seems to be channeling more of his Daily Show persona and less of Michael Scott, and it's good to be reminded of his comedic range. Rated PG-13 for a few profanities and a handful of vulgar jokes/innuendo. ***1/2 (out of five).
January 14, 2017
Great action comedy. As you would expect, Steve Carrell is top notch as a bumbling agent, he's like inspector closesau. (If you don't know who that is, stop whatever you're doing and go watch a movie entitled a shot in the dark) With such a game cast, funny jokes and thrilling action, you really can't go wrong. Not necessarily a must see, but you will laugh a lot, unless you only like high comedy.
December 31, 2016
Ironically, Get Smart was not smart at all, I probably lost a chunk of brain cells after watching this. It has no humour from the source material, mostly cheap slapsticks and crude jokes. The only shining star was Terry Crews.
December 29, 2016
This is a movie I have seen multiple times and often reference with friends. It's one that so easily could have consisted of a clumsy main character with a lack of intelligence but instead, has a witty book smart one learning to apply his knowledge to the real world. It's full of great moments that will make you laugh and smile. I definitely recommend it, one of my favorite movies
jamrcla
December 7, 2016
Some funny bits but overall pretty average, It's the American version of Johnny English.
November 27, 2016
11/26/2016: It was ok, but disappointing considering the cast.
½ November 6, 2016
Steve Carell remains as funny as ever in Get Smart.
October 29, 2016
Not bad, but not that great either.
October 25, 2016
Movie Review: Get Smart
Do you like the movies like James bond and with more humor to them, well then Get Smart might just be the movie for you. Starring Steve Carell (Maxwell Smart) Anne Hathaway (Agent 99) Alan Arkin(The Chief) and Dwayne Johnson as (Agent 23), this comedy of the agency CONTROL VS the Agency KAOS in order to save the world from nuclear threats. Agents 86 and 99 must Locate these devices and stop KAOS. This movies is full of the cute humor that Steve Carell provides in every movie like Dinner for Schmucks or The 40 Year Old Virgin. The one thing the movie lacks that everything else makes up for is the lack of more backstory on characters like Agent 23 or why these agencies exist in the first place. Otherwise this movie will always have a special place in heart of the Steve Carell movies.
½ September 3, 2016
Adequate cast but lacklustre script.