Goats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goats Reviews

July 9, 2016
Great film. The critics how hat it are assholes and the people, well...you're probably assholes too.
½ July 5, 2016
really bad and bad comdey
½ May 16, 2016
Another coming-of-age from a dysfunctional family comedy.
½ November 2, 2015
perfect movie for passing some time. not great, not terrible.
October 9, 2015
Loved it. Some continuity problems, i.e. tulips at thanksgiving and a "goat man" who doesn't realize goats will eat anything in sight.
½ July 6, 2015
I was just getting into it. Then it ended!
½ November 24, 2014
A proper indie experience. The movie dwells about the life of Ellis who is the product of a completely broken family with his mother having her own life and his father having a completely different almost contradictory lifestyle. Ellis however feels closest and most open around Goatman who is a got herding stoner.
It sounds quite weird and different and so it is. It really does give you food for thought and shows how one should be open to trying new things having new experiences and simply exploring through mind and body instead of being stuck in mainstream culture. A good experience!
September 10, 2014
To my surprise, Goats was more than I expected it to be. There's a great cast of characters who are quirky and smart. Duchovny and Graham Phillips have an interesting relationship and dynamic. Farmiga is weird but likable. While the film didn't carve any new territory narratively, it was well shot with great production design, lighting and cinematography. And the music was interesting and unexpected. I can see why this film didn't connect with some people, but overall it worked for me.
½ August 3, 2014
Filmed about 5 minutes down the road from where I live I must say I am a tiny bit biased. This is a very unique and well done film tho. Some might say the story line is a little dull, but I don't think it was meant to be over the top or extremely dramatic at all. A good coming of age story of a 15 year old boy who goes to a Preparatory High School called Gates (The Taft School for all of us locals who know its true name). His two parents seem to send mixed signals to him and he is torn between the two of them and what they both want for him. Goat man is his stand in father and major part of the movie. While this film isn't for everyone I mist say that it should be given a shot.
July 3, 2014
Is a nice story but is not a movie I would recommend...the script has flaws and that do not help the acting either...won't recommend it.
½ May 25, 2014
Unique story, great characters, interesting flick.
½ May 2, 2014
ok coming of age tale
April 1, 2014
Goats is fully of interesting characters who never do anything! Its like a coming of age story, but Ellis has already come of age. With the exception of a slight improvement in Ellis' relationship with his father, everyone is exactly the same at the end as when the movie started.
This story had so much potential. It just went nowhere.
March 8, 2014
I am a believer. This movie is created to morph your brain into thinking that being a couch potato , pot head, will get you places, and it will if you have the right mind set. Watch this film, eat some chips. Then think to yourself... maybe i should have gone to college. Enjoy.
February 15, 2014
This is your everyday tale of a teenager growing up with weird surroundings. We have seen this type of storyline many times before, but the unique thing about this storyline is the fact the leading character is being brought up by a goat man. There is enough in the plot to make the story interesting, but I did fall asleep a few times during the movie because the leading character seemed pretty dull with not much personality. All of the surrounding characters in the movie, especially Duchovny, have strange life's with much going on, which the young teenager has to deal with, along with college life and a alcoholic room mate. Personally, I was hoping for a something a bit different than the norm, but there isn't enough to make this movie stand out from different movies in this genre. Watchable!

If this movie had a leading character with better screen charisma, then it wouldn't have been to bad. Even if they would have taken out the leading character, it had enough substance to be a different type of movie. Anyway, for me, it is Duchovny that makes this film, but the disappointing thing is that he is not in it that much. We are just watching a boy become a man who had to make some difficult choices, like every teenager nowadays.

Budget: $5million
Worldwide Gross: N/A

I recommend this movie to people who are into there dramas about a teenager growing up with strange surroundings. 4/10
January 22, 2014
Little to no goats I'm this movie
January 20, 2014
I only watched it for David Duchovny
November 26, 2013
A good cast playing some delightfully eccentric characters elevates this offbeat comedy/drama about a boy caught between two divorced and self-absorbed parents. The story doesn't go far but, the cast are a delight to watch.
½ November 22, 2013
Friday, November 22, 2013

(2012) Goats

Adapted the screenplay from his own novel by the name of Mark Poirier that was co-produced and directed by Christopher Neil which is a subtle oddball of a film centering on 15 year old Ellis Whitman (Graham Phillips) coming to grips with the break up of his family and the people he interacts with, once leaving the household to go to an all boys prep school. At first Ellis appears to be the only normal one since he's the narrator, but viewers should be able to feel empathy with other characters as the film is progressing, particularly the father Frank Whitman (Ty Burrell) at first they nicknamed him as "F-cker Frank" who abandoned him and his mother to be with other people... and so we thought. It is called "Goats" because of Ellis's bond with the animals as well as the quirky character "Goatman", an unusual role played by David Duchovny who does nothing but smokes cannabis, and originally lives in the same household as Ellis as caretaker of the pool and gardener. Vera Farmiga(Into the Air) who plays the Ellis's mother as Wendy is probably the only character that's hard to identify but overall she's still quite harmless. Kerri Russell also stars as Judy, and a memorable sleazy performance by Justin Kirk as Bennett. This is one of those rare oddball movies about how things are able to work themselves out without resorting to extreme measures.

3 out of 4