The Godfather, Part III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather, Part III Reviews

November 6, 2016
One of the biggest points people argue over with regards to this film is its necessity or lack thereof. Either because the first two films felt self-contained or that this one just brought us to the natural conclusion we could have figured out on our own. When it comes to that my main argument against it would be that the first film to me feels like it could be complete without the first. That's not to say that I don't think the second, or third, add anything as well. One of the things that stands out to me the most with this trilogy is the flow of escalation throughout them.

In each film Michael moves up a "rung" so to speak in the power structures he is trying to navigate. And those levels are reflected in the historical events that the writers chose to tie into the lives of the Corleone family. Moving up from organized crime in the 1st, politics in the 2nd, and religion in the 3rd. Michaels goes from taking over the criminal underworld in order to protects his family in the first, outmaneuvering a senate sub-committee threatening his power in the second, and contending with the prospect of redeeming his soul in the third. In the first the family empire moved their power center to the mob-made town Las Vegas, in the second he sought to be a part of a deal with the Cuban government that would allow him to operate unimpeded their until Fidel Castro's revolution turns everything upside down, and in the third he attempts dealings with the Vatican in a bid to legitimately take control of the Immobillaire real-estate company in keeping with that jumping between spheres.

At the end of the first film Michael orders the death of his brother in law
October 31, 2016
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Todo lo que volvió genial al Padrino la parte 3 se encargó de aniquilarlo; sin embargo las brillantes actuaciones de Al Pacino y Andy Garcia pueden compensarlo.
October 2, 2016
Nothing beats the frist two installment of the Godfather.But this one kind of boring .
September 14, 2016
A great end to Frances Ford Coppola's masterpiece. Andy Garcia is the star player here.
½ September 12, 2016
Waxing of what is possibly the greatest movie trilogy, closing this is not very dignified, but convincing, "Godfather, Part III" is a great film, but IE Part II are brilliant, emblematic and unique, so the comparison is difficult and unfair, but with a lower route to the ancient but regular to good, great photography and unique soundtrack, this film has all the features of previous, perhaps the point here is the acting, the first we have Al Pacino and Marlon Brando at its peak, the second time Al Pacino and Robert De Niro in full swing, now in the third, we only have Al Pacino (already slightly below those of the 70s), not to mention that Sofia Coppola and especially Andy Garcia unconvincing, the best moments of movies are the flashbacks of the previous films, like the great scene of his children singing the song that makes Michael remember his time in Sicily, not to mention at the end that is a little weak, and the motivations that at certain times are silly, the film loses that truth of the previous ones, but "Godfather, Part III" is a good movie, touches on important points of the corruption in the church, the inversion of values ??and the criminal monopoly of large organizations, as well as dealing with the decline of "Family" and the death of organized crime in the classic mold, he tries to pass a lesson water with sugar that crime does not pay. The film does not deserve to be so criticized, and although it is the weakest of the trilogy, has its merits and deserves our respect.
½ August 31, 2016
Decent. Sill good! However greatly inferior to its predecessors
½ August 9, 2016
Great end to one of the best, if not, the best trilogy in the history of film. But it's not nearly as good as the first two movies, sadly. It slowly builds throughout and for the most part, it's a good movie. The last 30 minutes or so are so damn intense, I could hardly watch. The major flaw with part 3 is the casting of Sofia Coppola as Mary Corleone. I had heard for years before I finally watched part 3 how this casting actually ruins the film. And it's true, really. She is just not believable at all, saying her lines with no emotion, no change in facial expressions; it's brutal to watch. There's no connection/chemistry between her and Pacino, and that is detrimental to the overall importance of the tragic events in the end. SPOILER. When she is shot and killed outside of the theatre and dies in Michael's arms, it is a moving moment, for sure, but if their close relationship as father and daughter had been more believable and real, it would've been one of the most powerful/heartbreaking moments ever seen in a movie. Such a damn shame, it shouldn't affect the greatness of this movie, but it ultimately does. Still a solid end to a brilliant trilogy, though.
½ August 1, 2016
Starts off promising and then becomes a complete let down.
½ July 20, 2016
I don't get what the big deal is with The Godfather movies. I watched all nine and half hours of it (for the first time) over the past few weeks and I wasn't very impressed. I'll agree that it was probably groundbreaking stuff for back in the early seventies, but these honestly wouldn't even make my top one-thousand, if I were to write one out now. A little bit too Italian for my taste. Too much talk, leading into small events that I wouldn't really classify as "greatest film in world cinema" material; like the archives state. I enjoyed all three of them equally no-more than average. In my opinion, there were more cons than pros in regards to rewarding moments within all three of the films.
July 20, 2016
Prolonged craving, for a well-suited conclusion to the glorified Godfather trilogy, perhaps haven't been gratified by the status of excellency like the previous prominent movies. The third and final installment, does live up to some extent to the degrees of The Godfather. Carries on, with authentic, sharp characters along with formulated nexus of plot which is successful in utilizing the people and flow of the movie quite well.
½ July 19, 2016
The Godfather Part III is in no way a bad movie, but in no way an excellent one. It is a worthy sequel to The Godfather.
½ July 2, 2016
I liked it, but dang the Ying and yang
June 23, 2016
The Godfather: Part III (1990) C-162m. ??? D: Francis Ford Coppola. Al Pacino, Andy Garcia, Diana Keaton, Sofia Copola, Talia Shire, Eli Wallach, Joe Mantegna, George Hamilton, Bridget Fonda. Pacino, living with the guilt from GODFATHER II, seeks absolution and attempts to separate himself from the world of crime, but finds it an impossibility, especially with his trigger-happy nephew (Garcia) as the new Don. Pacino and Garcia are excellent in this powerful film that brings the series to a unique, heartfelt conclusion. Potential for greatness is severely damaged by the miscasting of Sofia Coppola (and her incestuous relationship with Garcia is just strange). But like the previous films, it's vivid, masterfully crafted, and utterly fascinating. "Final director's cut" runs 170m.
June 21, 2016
not as good as the first 2, but still a satisfying movie.
½ June 14, 2016
This movie has to be one of the most disappointing sequels ever made. It doesn't really have the same feel as the first two and it doesn't particularly add much to move the story forward. Most of it is pretty dull and the movie is mostly a drag. The performances, at least for the most part, are good. The only exception to the good performances is Sofia Coppola. Her performance is so monotone, so bland, and just bad. The final stretch of this movie can be entertaining, but I was just so uninterested by the rest of it, even that couldn't save the movie. I think the first two movies are the only ones you really need to see. The third one seems to weigh down the series as a whole and doesn't really provide any closure you can't get from just watching the first two. There are a few redeeming qualities, but not enough to say it's worth three hours of your time.
May 29, 2016
It is 1979, about 22 years since the events of The Godfather II. For
Michael Corleone, the move to legitimacy is complete: the New York
crime business has been handed over to Joey Zasa and all elements of
the Corleone business empire are legal, non-criminal enterprises.
Michael, approaching 60, is now thinking about his legacy. His charity,
run by his daughter Mary, has just handed over $100 million to the
Catholic Church. Michael also intends buying a large stake in
International Immobiliari, a Vatican-run property company. Things are
peaceful and stable but then Vincent Mancini, Sonny Corleone's
illegitimate son, starts a feud with Joey Zasa. This has far- reaching,
deadly consequences, including for Michael's deal with the Vatican.

Unnecessary, as The Godfather II didn't need a sequel. Francis Ford
Coppola has stated that he only did it for the money.

The product itself is a bit hit-and-miss. Plot has some intrigue, with
a Robert Ludlum-like Vatican conspiracy woven into a more conventional
mafia story. This does mean a departure from the feel of the first two
movies, and I'm note sure it's a good departure. The plot becomes
unnecessarily complex and overwrought, making it less tight than the
first two movies. Coppola also unnecessarily draws out the movie -
every scene gets stretched to the limit and there's a lot of padding.
He could easily have lopped 40 minutes (at least) off the movie without
us losing any information or engagement.

Then there's the performances, which are mostly good, with two notable
exceptions. The old guard - Al Pacino, Dianne Keaton, Talia Shire - put
in solid performances. The change in Connie, from passive to assertive
and decisive, was one of the positive features of this movie and Talia
Shire is great in that role.

The new faces include some pretty big names: Eli Wallach, Joe Mantegna,
Andy Garcia, George Hamilton, John Savage, Bridget Fonda. Andy Garcia
is great as Vincent Mancini, a worthy (potential) successor to Michael.
Bridget Fonda is great but criminally underused, especially as it
appeared that she would have a bigger role. Eli Wallach and Joe Mantegna are solid as Don Altobello and Joey
Zasa, respectively, and John Savage has little screen time.

George Hamilton is badly miscast as BJ Harrison, Michael's attorney. He
really didn't fit the part and comes off as somewhat unconvincing. He
was stepping into Robert Duvall's shoes - Tom Hagen was meant to
continue into The Godfather III but the character was dropped when
Robert Duvall pulled out over a pay dispute - so he does suffer due to
the comparison with Duvall.

Then we have the performance which almost single-handedly wrecks this
movie: Sofia Coppola. She is absolutely atrocious as Mary Corleone,
well deserving her 1991 Razzie wins for Worst Supporting Actress and
Worst New Star. Her dialogue delivery is incredibly flat and
unconvincing and even when she has no dialogue she seems awkward, like
she doesn't know what to do with herself when she's on camera.

Her flat delivery results in lack of engagement with her character, and
this ruins the climax of the movie. So, there are greater consequences
to her terrible performance.

It's a good thing she took up directing - she's clearly better at that.

Apparently she wasn't first choice for the part, as Julia Roberts and
then Winona Ryder were cast for the role but then had to pull out. So
at least Francis Ford Coppola could say she was hired more out of
desperation than being his daughter. Still, he really should have kept
looking...

(Aside: Winona Ryder as Mary - how awesome would that have been? The
mind boggles. And yes, I am a big Winona Ryder fan.)

Overall: not bad, but not that good either.
May 14, 2016
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time.
May 13, 2016
I thought it went well with the others
½ April 4, 2016
More death. Michael Corleone tries to get legit. More oranges. More death.