The Godfather, Part III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather, Part III Reviews

March 13, 2017
One of three movies which ever made me sob. Poignancy reaches new heights.
March 4, 2017
A very mixed bag of good and bad, The Godfather Part 3 barely makes an effort to conclude one of the best stories in cinema
February 24, 2017
The themes and tropes we've come to know and love are always present, but the acting is a bit off and the film over all feels like it's length compared to the first film which feels shorter than it is. It seems like the actors and writers forgot who the characters were during the time between Part II and Part III. Overall, it's an above average movie that gives us an emotional and satisfying conclusion to tragic story of Michael Corleone.
February 22, 2017
Part 3 is a solid end to the 'Godfather' trilogy but it doesn't come without a few clear flaws such as the run-time, which can tend to drag due to it's tedious story at times, and the casting of Michael Corleones daughter. Also a nod must be given to Andy Garcia as he is a nice fresh addition, arguably the best part of the movie, and offers a much needed burst of energy to the film.
February 19, 2017
Although its two predecessors are among the best films I've ever seen, I had ignored this movie for 27 years because I had heard it was "bad". Then I saw it and was very pleased and surprised. Yes, it isn't as good as the first two, but it is a very good movie, and there are only a few things that kept this from being a great film. With a slightly simpler structure, more confident writing, and slightly less melodrama It would have hit the jackpot. As it is, the film is intriguing and well worth watching. You must see the first two before this one, but I would recommend that they be seen as two parts of the same film, whereas this one is different, much more a sequel than a continuation..
February 16, 2017
The best of the trilogy, and frankly the only one I could follow.
January 30, 2017
A few more great scenes than the 2nd one, but doesn't measure up to the original. It does have some nice moments and does nicely closely out the series. Still like the others, very drawn out before hitting any worthwhile scenes.
½ January 20, 2017
The last of The Godfather films is indeed the weakest of the trilogy, and by a substantial margin. While the previous two films featured legendary pacing and execution, this one is unfathomably sloppy throughout, and a dreaded hour too long. In fact, the film even feels cartoonish at times, with thunderous gunplay and predictable violence that might have felt more at home in Scarface, but feel gratuitous for this more proper gangster saga. It really is difficult to ascertain that both Coppola and Puzo had their hand in this largely disappointing sequel, save a moment or two of high quality, and a final image that's memorable but unearned.
½ January 14, 2017
A very satisfying movie that is underrated for being overshadowed by it's predecessors.
January 8, 2017
At the (strange) endig, i asked aloud to no one there:What was the point of that movie?
December 15, 2016
In this final chapter of the Godfather saga there are definitely some hallmarks of the series that they bring back. It not only shows flashbacks to events in the first two films, but it also reflects those events by passing them on to the next generation. I thought the story that was being told in this film was effective, and might have been more engaging than Part 2 for me, largely because Michael becomes a more sympathetic character again. I also have to say that Al Pacino might do some of his best acting in this chapter of the trilogy. There is so much emotion in his performance, and I could sense the internal struggle he was dealing with.

I think where this movie struggles is in some of the story structure, and other acting performances. The plot of the movie is easy to follow, but there are poor decisions made in how things are edited and how they flow that makes it frustrating and uneven. The final act gets very convoluted to the point where I almost started laughing at how they were dragging out the interplay of all these different murders. Don't even get me started on the lazy writing that decided it was a good idea for two characters, who are talking about cousins falling in love, coincidentally finding a puppet show that is about two cousins falling in love.

The poor decisions in the way the story is told is a problem, but possibly a bigger problem is the cast. No, I'm not just talking about Sofia Coppola. Sure, her performance is bad and it almost seems like she's been dubbed for every line. But are we really supposed to buy Joe Mantegna as an intimidating foe for the Corleones? Maybe I've seen Baby's Day Out too many times, but he is too broad and unconvincing as a villain. Andy Garcia is OK as the film progresses, but his early scenes as a loose cannon are a little over the top. Franc D'Ambrosio is totally flat as Anthony, and there are several other minor performances that bother me. Then there is the chorus line of returning cameos that almost turn this into a Where's Waldo game of "spot the characters from the better movies." I thought The Godfather: Part III was a decent enough finale to the trilogy, but it lacked some of the quality found in the first two chapters.
December 10, 2016
Good but not as good
November 6, 2016
One of the biggest points people argue over with regards to this film is its necessity or lack thereof. Either because the first two films felt self-contained or that this one just brought us to the natural conclusion we could have figured out on our own. When it comes to that my main argument against it would be that the first film to me feels like it could be complete without the first. That's not to say that I don't think the second, or third, add anything as well. One of the things that stands out to me the most with this trilogy is the flow of escalation throughout them.

In each film Michael moves up a "rung" so to speak in the power structures he is trying to navigate. And those levels are reflected in the historical events that the writers chose to tie into the lives of the Corleone family. Moving up from organized crime in the 1st, politics in the 2nd, and religion in the 3rd. Michaels goes from taking over the criminal underworld in order to protects his family in the first, outmaneuvering a senate sub-committee threatening his power in the second, and contending with the prospect of redeeming his soul in the third. In the first the family empire moved their power center to the mob-made town Las Vegas, in the second he sought to be a part of a deal with the Cuban government that would allow him to operate unimpeded their until Fidel Castro's revolution turns everything upside down, and in the third he attempts dealings with the Vatican in a bid to legitimately take control of the Immobillaire real-estate company in keeping with that jumping between spheres.

At the end of the first film Michael orders the death of his brother in law
October 31, 2016
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Todo lo que volvió genial al Padrino la parte 3 se encargó de aniquilarlo; sin embargo las brillantes actuaciones de Al Pacino y Andy Garcia pueden compensarlo.
October 2, 2016
Nothing beats the frist two installment of the Godfather.But this one kind of boring .
September 14, 2016
A great end to Frances Ford Coppola's masterpiece. Andy Garcia is the star player here.
½ September 12, 2016
Waxing of what is possibly the greatest movie trilogy, closing this is not very dignified, but convincing, "Godfather, Part III" is a great film, but IE Part II are brilliant, emblematic and unique, so the comparison is difficult and unfair, but with a lower route to the ancient but regular to good, great photography and unique soundtrack, this film has all the features of previous, perhaps the point here is the acting, the first we have Al Pacino and Marlon Brando at its peak, the second time Al Pacino and Robert De Niro in full swing, now in the third, we only have Al Pacino (already slightly below those of the 70s), not to mention that Sofia Coppola and especially Andy Garcia unconvincing, the best moments of movies are the flashbacks of the previous films, like the great scene of his children singing the song that makes Michael remember his time in Sicily, not to mention at the end that is a little weak, and the motivations that at certain times are silly, the film loses that truth of the previous ones, but "Godfather, Part III" is a good movie, touches on important points of the corruption in the church, the inversion of values ??and the criminal monopoly of large organizations, as well as dealing with the decline of "Family" and the death of organized crime in the classic mold, he tries to pass a lesson water with sugar that crime does not pay. The film does not deserve to be so criticized, and although it is the weakest of the trilogy, has its merits and deserves our respect.
½ August 31, 2016
Decent. Sill good! However greatly inferior to its predecessors
½ August 9, 2016
Great end to one of the best, if not, the best trilogy in the history of film. But it's not nearly as good as the first two movies, sadly. It slowly builds throughout and for the most part, it's a good movie. The last 30 minutes or so are so damn intense, I could hardly watch. The major flaw with part 3 is the casting of Sofia Coppola as Mary Corleone. I had heard for years before I finally watched part 3 how this casting actually ruins the film. And it's true, really. She is just not believable at all, saying her lines with no emotion, no change in facial expressions; it's brutal to watch. There's no connection/chemistry between her and Pacino, and that is detrimental to the overall importance of the tragic events in the end. SPOILER. When she is shot and killed outside of the theatre and dies in Michael's arms, it is a moving moment, for sure, but if their close relationship as father and daughter had been more believable and real, it would've been one of the most powerful/heartbreaking moments ever seen in a movie. Such a damn shame, it shouldn't affect the greatness of this movie, but it ultimately does. Still a solid end to a brilliant trilogy, though.
½ August 1, 2016
Starts off promising and then becomes a complete let down.