Gone With the Wind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gone With the Wind Reviews

½ December 2, 2017
A timeless story of romance and conflict, this piece of film history entertains in all aspects.
½ November 26, 2017
BEST PICTURE 1939: A true Hollywood epic drama. Capt Red (Gable) tries to win the affections of Scarlett (Leigh) many times but she loves another; Ashley Wilkes, who is married to her sister. The American civil war parts them and a y chance of marriage. Red comes back to save them from the Yankees and after 2 marriages Scarlett finally marries him. they gave a daughter but their marriage fails and is unhappy. very sad towards the end and Gable delivers the classic line "Frankly my dear, I don't give a Damn". Epic drama
½ November 25, 2017
One of Hollywood's most cherished and lucrative films, "Gone With the Wind" is an epic romance drama that takes place over the backdrop of the Civil War that is bold in Technicolor and clocks in at four hours long. With phenomenal directing and strong performances, the film remains an iconic achievement in cinematography despite its problematic issues with racism and marital rape and its historical inaccuracy.
November 9, 2017
I honestly think this movie is overrated. The protagonist is annoying and disliked the on again off again love story.
October 18, 2017
A perfect example of cinema, they don't make them like this anymore. Not many films can keep your attention for four hours but Gone With The Wind manages the feat. I've seen it half a dozen times and discover something new everytime. Frankly my dear I do give a damn about this cinematic masterpiece. A tragic love story about young southern belle Scarlet o Hara trying to win the love of one man ignoring or not realizing that the scoundrel Rhett Butler is her soulmate.
October 14, 2017
Long and a little drawn out in places but the cast and acting make up for it.
½ October 6, 2017
Too long. Too sappy. TOO HEARTBREAKING! This was a HUGE disappointment. I bought this movie, hoping that I would be watching something DECENT! All in all, I don't recommend it at all. The only good part is Clark Gable
October 4, 2017
The thing that makes "Gone with the wind" such a classic, is partly Scarlett O'Hara & her volatility, which was great that time, and also the grand scope is so overwhelming on a person. This film is truly a masterpiece of cinema, and a epic feast for the eyes. .
½ September 21, 2017
Gone with the Wind gets the audience invested in its characters and the scope of the film. The ending however felt abrupt and didn't feel like it wrapped up anything.
September 3, 2017
A return to the Ole South.. Great weekend movie. Grab a box of pizza, sit back, journey to Scarlet's world..
September 2, 2017
Gone with the Wind is a sweeping romantic epic reminiscent of the highest echelon of the Golden Age of Hollywood. Vivien Leigh portrays the selfish and spiteful Scarlett O'Hara and Clark Gable is the dashing and conniving Rhett Butler. Together they make one of the greatest screen couples in the history of cinema. If you're watching GWTW for historical accuracy then you are watching it for the wrong reasons. If you are watching it for its rich tapestry of a cast of thousands and its ability to loop through time in eye-popping sweeping grandeur then you are watching it for the right reasons. A uniformly superb ensemble that also includes Leslie Howard, Olivia DeHavilland, Thomas Mitchell, Hattie McDaniel, and Butterfly McQueen it stands as one of the best produced, acted, and engaging pictures of all-time. A true classic and forbearing standard for generations of filmmakers.
August 27, 2017
Despite the length of this film, I never find it boring. Vivian Leigh is perfectly cast as the catty, strong-willed Scarlet. Deserving of every award and accolade, Gone With The Wind never disappoints with its gorgeous photography, color, acting, and passion.
½ July 24, 2017
An eternal 1939 Technicolor film left intact by decades. 'Gone with the Wind' vividly portrays Margaret Mitchell's colourful characters. A novel like film of immense virtues, telling successfully an immortal, passionate story set in a key moment of American history, the Civil War. A struggle for life, land and -above all- love within an iconic quartet led by Scarlett O'Hara told in an epic- but never excessive manner. David O' Selznick production earned its place as a monument in Film History, also thanks to unforgettable performances from Clark Gable, Olivia de Havilland, Vivien Leigh and Hattie McDaniel, the latter two having won an Academy Award.
July 13, 2017
As a historian I can spot many things wrong with this film but as a fan of cinematography and good costumes I find that I don't care about the many liberties they take with the Civil War and Reconstruction era Georgia portrayal.
July 8, 2017
Movie was great back in the day but seriously 4 hours for a movie to end exactly where it started. Very disappointing.
July 8, 2017
Filmed and presented on a scale not seen in modern productions, Gone with the Wind is the definitive Hollywood film.
½ July 8, 2017
It is very good movie but it is a very boring and long movie. it is a good romance movie.
June 24, 2017
In my opinion the best movie ever produced. Casting couldn't have been better if they had searched the entire world. They used every Technicolor camera in existence at the time to film it, and it was far ahead of its time. It had everything-love, drama, horror, and comedy all rolled into one spectacular movie. They've never remade it for a reason. There's no way it could ever be made better even with the movie wizardry of today. It's one of a kind.
June 9, 2017