Gone With the Wind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gone With the Wind Reviews

½ September 21, 2017
Gone with the Wind gets the audience invested in its characters and the scope of the film. The ending however felt abrupt and didn't feel like it wrapped up anything.
½ September 7, 2017
Too long. Too sappy. TOO HEARTBREAKING! This was a HUGE disappointment. I bought this movie, hoping that I would be watching something DECENT! All in all, I don't recommend it at all. The only good part is Clark Gable
September 3, 2017
A return to the Ole South.. Great weekend movie. Grab a box of pizza, sit back, journey to Scarlet's world..
September 2, 2017
Gone with the Wind is a sweeping romantic epic reminiscent of the highest echelon of the Golden Age of Hollywood. Vivien Leigh portrays the selfish and spiteful Scarlett O'Hara and Clark Gable is the dashing and conniving Rhett Butler. Together they make one of the greatest screen couples in the history of cinema. If you're watching GWTW for historical accuracy then you are watching it for the wrong reasons. If you are watching it for its rich tapestry of a cast of thousands and its ability to loop through time in eye-popping sweeping grandeur then you are watching it for the right reasons. A uniformly superb ensemble that also includes Leslie Howard, Olivia DeHavilland, Thomas Mitchell, Hattie McDaniel, and Butterfly McQueen it stands as one of the best produced, acted, and engaging pictures of all-time. A true classic and forbearing standard for generations of filmmakers.
August 27, 2017
Despite the length of this film, I never find it boring. Vivian Leigh is perfectly cast as the catty, strong-willed Scarlet. Deserving of every award and accolade, Gone With The Wind never disappoints with its gorgeous photography, color, acting, and passion.
½ July 24, 2017
An eternal 1939 Technicolor film left intact by decades. 'Gone with the Wind' vividly portrays Margaret Mitchell's colourful characters. A novel like film of immense virtues, telling successfully an immortal, passionate story set in a key moment of American history, the Civil War. A struggle for life, land and -above all- love within an iconic quartet led by Scarlett O'Hara told in an epic- but never excessive manner. David O' Selznick production earned its place as a monument in Film History, also thanks to unforgettable performances from Clark Gable, Olivia de Havilland, Vivien Leigh and Hattie McDaniel, the latter two having won an Academy Award.
July 13, 2017
As a historian I can spot many things wrong with this film but as a fan of cinematography and good costumes I find that I don't care about the many liberties they take with the Civil War and Reconstruction era Georgia portrayal.
July 8, 2017
Movie was great back in the day but seriously 4 hours for a movie to end exactly where it started. Very disappointing.
July 8, 2017
Filmed and presented on a scale not seen in modern productions, Gone with the Wind is the definitive Hollywood film.
½ July 8, 2017
It is very good movie but it is a very boring and long movie. it is a good romance movie.
June 24, 2017
In my opinion the best movie ever produced. Casting couldn't have been better if they had searched the entire world. They used every Technicolor camera in existence at the time to film it, and it was far ahead of its time. It had everything-love, drama, horror, and comedy all rolled into one spectacular movie. They've never remade it for a reason. There's no way it could ever be made better even with the movie wizardry of today. It's one of a kind.
June 9, 2017
Good old classic. I loved Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable together
June 6, 2017
A cinematic landmark, Gone With The Wind is a epic in all proportions in it's colorful looks and bring a new age in Hollywood
June 5, 2017
One of the best movies ever
½ June 4, 2017
Sarebbe inutile fornire una breve descrizione per un film così famoso, un film che ha cambiato per sempre il modo di fare film. Si tratta di un colossal immenso, che per il periodo rappresentava un vero e proprio miracolo cinematografico, con scene spaventosamente realistiche e ricostruzioni storiche mai viste fino ad allora. Ero un po' scettico, pensavo che guardarlo per la prima volta dopo più di 75 anni avrebbe tolto gran parte della magia che diffuse al momento della sua uscita, ma, in parte, mi sbagliavo. Ancora adesso il film risulta di una modernità incredibile, riesce a costruire dei personaggi estremamente caratterizzati, con caratteri molto realistici e una loro precisa identità, che si plasma lungo tutta l'enorme durata della pellicola. Gli splendidi dialoghi accompagnano una storia d'amore intramontabile, molto coinvolgente ed emozionante ancora adesso. E' sicuramente un film da vedere e da studiare, una vera e propria pietra miliare del cinema. Non oso neanche immaginare come debba essere stato vedere questo capolavoro nel 1939, attraverso gli ingenui occhi di una comune persona del tempo.
June 1, 2017
god i would have bitch slapped scarlett black and blue the film is beautiful but well and truly a product of its time and is uncomfortable to watch like many of the older films the acting being so over the top
May 11, 2017
Wonderful movie about what was, what was lost and what could be again.....hopefully.
May 3, 2017
Visually impressive,but otherwise is historically inaccurate and has a predictable plot. Also is downright offensive.
May 2, 2017
I get the cultural significance and the impact it had on cinema. And I respect the fact that it is the most financially successful movie of all time, inflation taken into account. The performances are fantastic even if Scarlett is a selfish brat, Rhett is pretty much a rapist, and Mammie is stereotype our world is uncomfortable with. As it should be. There's just no real story. I mean there is, it's just not very engaging or told that well. Soap operas do melodrama much better. In fact Patrick Swayze's mini series, North and South is much more entertaining. It's glorification of slavery is pretty disturbing however you have to remember what year it was made as well as the perspective it's told from. Still, a little too racist I think for even 1939. The movie is gorgeous and the score is wonderful. I am most certainly glad I saw it, I just don't see myself ever watching it again.