Good Kill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Kill Reviews

May 11, 2019
Movie sucked, unless you like watching Ethan Hawke do poor Bruce Willis facial imitations.
March 12, 2019
You wait so long for a movie about drones and then just like buses, yada yada... you see where I'm going. Short version 'Eye in the Sky' is a million times better than this, This spends a long time trying to make you care about whether Ethan Hawke will ever get to fly jets again (guess what? you don't). It then goes for the 'troubled angsty man lets everyone around him down, becomes an alcoholic but pretty young assistant still falls for him (errr, why?). Ending is laughably bad and equally implausible. Give me Helen Mirren any day over this.
February 12, 2019
A very good movie about what the military personnel go through when it comes to drone strikes. Tackles info I never knew about what goes on with these strikes and the toll on the military personnel who have to conduct these strikes.
July 29, 2018
Major Tom Egan (Ethan Hawke) is a decorated Air-force pilot, who after five deployments, has been assigned to a base in Las Vegas, where he conducts drones strikes over Afghanistan. He hates his job and feels like a coward, but things get a whole lot worse, when the CIA commissions his team to start doing questionable jobs. Egan starts to come apart and take it out on his co-workers and family, leading to an uncertain future. IFC films are right at the top of my list right now as the absolute best in independent film. Seldom have they disappointed me, and I wouldn't describe my feelings about Good Kill as disappointed, but rather indifferent. This film, based on a true story, was exceptionally written and features a fantastic director and an amazing cast, but it also moves at a snails pace and is extremely repetitive. It's just drone strike, reaction, intervention, repeat, over and over again, followed by an ending that wasn't all that surprising. Ethan Hawke gives a powerful performance, despite the fact that he lacks the kind of emotion this role sorely needed. I understand that having Egan be this stone cold guy on the outside is a major theme, but it also makes for a lot of seemingly endless conversations and interactions. Good Kill has a lot of elements I look for in a movie, it's well written, has a cast I really enjoy, a director I know very well, still, it's lacking in emotion and levity. The film is monotonous and much longer than it had to be, all in all, not bad, but not great.
June 14, 2018
Everyone who wants to see a nuanced, thought-provoking anti-movie with great performances from Hawke, Jones Kravitz and Greenwood must see this. It's a morality tale about honor, duty, and the burdens our warriors carry. Without maudlin sentimentality, Hawke heroically shoulders the guilt, stress, and responsibility of killing for our military. We need to honor and support our veterans and actively enlisted men and women for doing the terrible things in our nation's behalf.
½ January 28, 2018
Sub-standard and rather dull in comparison to Eye In The Sky which tackled very similar issues.
November 3, 2017
'Good Kill' is a thought-provoking and engaging drama for about an hour, then it takes a bizarre tonal shift which just didn't fit. Ethan Hawke is great as usual playing conflicted Air Force pilot who helps run the counter terrorism drone program. There are a lot of important questions raised and we're not beaten over the head with them. It's subtle and much appreciated, however when the narrative changes from Hawke's moral dilemmas to his personal life the viewer will be left lost and disappointed. Bruce Greenwood, playing Hawke's commanding officer, is awesome. Overall, unless you're a Hawke completist like I am this is missable. Final Score: 5.5/10
September 3, 2017
As a pilot I was quite understanding of the dilemna faced by Hawke in the film. However, the plot is weak and so is the depiction. Not really worth your time.
½ August 7, 2017
An Air Force drone pilot (Ethan Hawke) begins to question the ethics of dropping bombs on Afghanistan from the safety of his post in Las Vegas.
½ July 27, 2017
A different and unique perspective on modern warfare. The story of drone pilots is a fascinating one. They arguably have one of the most important roles in modern warfare and they do it from a chair thousands of miles from the battlefields. This film shows the mental toll it takes on one pilot in particular. Ethan Hawke gives a solid performance and January Jones and Bruce Greenwood offer some nice support. The film as a whole is rather good but I wasn't thrilled with the ending and it knocked it from a 4 to a 3.5 for me. Still a very good modern war film!
May 10, 2017
excellent movie based on true events of a airman who family and professional lives all come to a unexcepted turns of events when the c.i.a. get involved to whom they should and should not killed regardless if there are women or children involved and how 1 kill took a personal note.
½ April 29, 2017
Ethan tried really hard but this movie stunk.
April 26, 2017
Didn't care for the bad ending. Sorry, but I feel asleep on two occasions during the movie.
½ April 11, 2017
Good Kill is incredibly well acted, with career best work from Ethan Hawke, tightly directed, and the subject matter of drone warfare is very timely. The film does get very heavy handed, and pointlessly disturbing at times, like two rape scenes that come out of nowhere. Plus an ending that seems unbelievable, unsatisfying, and ruins most of the tension built up throughout the last 30 minutes.
½ April 2, 2017
While I appreciate the goal, it's marked with one too many instances of credulity-stretching and ends up contradicting its own critique in the final 15 minutes.
½ March 1, 2017
Good Kill
When in war, we acquire targets to destroy. When we are part of the highest target killings using unmanned aerial vehicles. When we are serving our country, we are targets, outside of our country we are targets. When some targets are easily seen, when we are uniformed in it. When some targets, it's about the eye on the prize. When some targets are less severe when we want to go home. When hitting targets runs in the family when we fight. When some targets we aim to improve others on or put focus towards fixing up. When our less severe targets we don't hit when they get away, or our mind isn't into it and somewhere else. When we are trying to hit as much targets as we can, when we are trying to save lives from going in. When we are a target by the media when what we do is not fair and critical practice of war. When we are targeting young recruits everyday to fight the long fight of war, and trying to advance our forces and technology along the process. When we targeting more then we intend to, when we targeting advancement of weaponry. When we target top recruits straightway to go into battle and transition them to real life simulations. When our targets are set on far more faster, threatening and equipped weaponry to hit our targets better. When some targets that seem hard are easier to hit for some. When our targets are easier to hit, when we reached top ranks at a fast pace and age. When some targets are harder to reach when they dodge away or make themselves a target to be reached. When we can't hit all our less severe targets. When some targets are harder to hit, when we are hiding or undercover when we know we are being seen. When some people and places are inhospitable, that males hitting targets difficult and timely when we are always watching and waiting to hit. When some targets others get, are more forced when you can come and go as you please and abuse your targets when you think less of them. When we can't hit some targets when they are not part of the objective. When we are a hot target waiting to be hit on by others, but gets unintended cross fire. When we are not a target, because we don't have a reason to be targeted. When we had another target along we kept secret, that we don't reveal so others wouldn't try targeting us. When living the life we commit to, we are targeting one direction that we cannot go back from. When something has been targeting our mind for along time, that we take a solo mission alone until it's achieved. When we have to always commit to our targets, and have one over our bed as a reminder of what we have to hit as good Catholics/Christians. When some targets are more of greater importance than others. When our targets are popping everywhere and we are always fighting. When some targets we wish to hit, we don't wish to hit the untargetted ones. When our job gives us plenty to think about, hit many targets that far reach our mind, but others are far from our radar to know exactly. When we work as a team, and our decisions to target is all the teams decision to target. When we reach our targets sometimes we don't feel a thing. When we are following new orders, once we been targetted for specified combat instructions. When what we do, we are targetted to do more, and target more based on suspicious behaviour. When our targets are getting bigger, and we are the best suited when we get the job done. When some targets are never meant to survive. When some targets we miss when we don't understand or care the justification of our actions. When our sole purpose is to save lives and end lives and not take credit or say a word. When we target others to do our job, so we don't have to get our hands dirty. When we don't understand the justifications of war, to know we are not randomly targeting civilians on orders we don't confirm too. When we are easy targets when we are a secret, and cant say a word to be called into question. When there is a loophole in the system we are not targeting to resolve, we are told to follow orders no questions asked. When we can easily be targets for not following orders, and held accountable for our actions. When we can easily be targets for following orders but considered a war crime for our actions. When war targets our opinions, views, and direction of right from wrong, that we follow orders and blow up whatever we have in mind. When any order is justifiable when we are always against our enemies and always targeting them, like them to us. When we know we are not being targeted. When we have other targets in mind to narrow our scope to our own teammates. When we are targeted, we know we are when we take it up a notch. When we have other targets in mind, our selves when we enjoy the fear of death that gives us the thrill. When we miss targets on purpose, when we are red hot and cant miss us. When some targets we miss intentionally or when intoxicated when they don't matter. When we miss out on so much, because we have high hopes for some targets to come by. When some targets we don't miss, when we were once in their shoes to know and relate. When some targets keep us awake at night, or don't when we are trying to hit the many targets that overwhelm us. When we are targeted when we are hated. When we do out of love we put much hatred towards it so w target the right enemy, no one else. When some targets we know where to stay way when we are definitely not wanted. When we can justify any target as any threat and say it's justified. When the next target of war is the enemies play, when we have all weapons targeting them to not make a move, or if they might make imminent moves they will die. When the next target is the enemy not copying the same battle tactics as we do. When we are targeted to do the job when we can go all night watching and have others back. When we are targeted when we are both on the ground, in air and at Bae to know what's it like. When we are always targeting our own moral actions and mind set to be proud of ourselves. When we are always targeted when we are the ones whom are always letting their loved one down. When we are always targeted when we are weak, defenceless and give what we want without a fight. When some targets we can't help not stand being on, but we make the most of it. When we just don't know when being targetted will come. When we can't see and they can't see when the next attack move will be made, we are all walk, sitting or sleeping targets. When some targets we don't miss out and about. When we don't want to be targetted for another thing we can't s a mile away. When we are targeting unintended targets and we are living with it. When the only target we want to hit is ourselves for where we are, how we are seen, and all that went wrong with our decisions and planning. When our thoughts of the most idealistic target takes us there. When we are targeting innocent lives to draw the enemies. When targeting whomever, justifying whatever, and signing off is part of the job. When your targets are others targets, when being together means we are a team. When what we do targets more then we are able to handle when it effects us, our family and everyone around us. When targets get harder to acquire when the people learn our tactics and not be open targets. When we wish we had our sights on different targets but we stand down. When hitting targets is exhausting enough, that our morality takes control before it explodes restablishes the target of our mind is safe. When some targets are starting to all look alike that, our minds explode in differentiating that we justify all our targets as justifiable. When we are targetted, because we are too good of a soldier that others need to put down. When others don't know why you would deliberately miss a target, but only follow the rules of law to say that you broke the law. When we are targetted because of what we do, that we can't g back to civilian standards. When some targets we saw a mile away, and couldn't do anything sooner to stop it, when its too late to back away and your left the intended target. When for some targets, they have some time to back away. When whatever we can salvage from this destruction, we target to rebuild. When we still have 1 last person to target, those who is our and others enemy and ourself. When we will never stop targeting you as you to us, but we make way for the next group to take over and go our separate ways. Once you are out, then they can't target you anymore.
When we have the choice of being Dead in the sky, dead at heart, or dead outside your uniform with civilian life, war has its good kill eventually.
*When not every order a high ranked American makes is America.

Visuals-4.5
Timing-5
Twist & Turns-4.5
Message-5
½ February 5, 2017
The Huffington Post version of fighting terrorism. Awful dialogue. Awful movie.
January 25, 2017
Ethan Hawke is a king and the concept of this movie definitely fucks with your head. The idea of modern warfare being fought from control booths and drones is pretty crazy. Plus Zoe Kravitz and January Jones are both hot and should be in more movies.
½ January 10, 2017
I'm not the biggest Ethan Hawke fan, but I would give this one a mild thumb's up for subject matter. It is a bit obvious in the points it covers regarding drone strikes, but it's an important subject - one worth some reflection after viewing this film. What is war? Is a war fought without risk, without the intimacy of battle still a war or is it murder? What is acceptable collateral damage? Does that exist? Do done strikes combat terrorism or fan its flames? What is the future of warfare? Are we prepared for it to come to OUR doorstep? Who gets to decide who dies? Not fun to think about, granted, but films like this are good conversation starters at least. ...Regardless of what you think of Ethan Hawke. Personally, I could have done without the home life angle (and January Jones entirely). Recommended for a lazy day, when you don't want to turn your brain off.
December 16, 2016
Not that bad and a fine ending for Hawke's caracter ! But seeing it once is enough .