Good Morning, Vietnam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Morning, Vietnam Reviews

July 16, 2017
One of Robin Williams' best films & roles... this was an instant classic.
July 5, 2017
It's Robin Williams' performance that gives this movie the energy that makes it a great watch. The execution of dialogue, acting, and pure emotion make every scene he's in a joy to behold. This is easily among his best performances and it is yet another reminder that we truly lost a great talent. I think the story is good and unique and tackles some complex ideas. It balances comedy and drama pretty well and kept me invested. Overall it is a war movie that is unconventional and ultimately a feel good movie that is worth seeing.
½ June 10, 2017
Of its time and a superb performance.
½ May 31, 2017
A funny, and at times sobering, comedy that gives us one of Robin Williams most memorable performances as a man with an unwavering sense of humor even in the worst of predicaments.
March 24, 2017
Robin Williams has you won from the beginning
½ February 12, 2017
Intense at times and end up having a lot of political subtext, this is great movie about old school radio DJ
January 30, 2017
viewed on 26/6/04 (Sat)

All I wanted was to have a few good laughs from this comedy. Instead I get more out of it. Now, calling this a comedy will be understating it. It has anti-war messages, not with scenes of dead bodies and explosions, but subtly conveyed in Robin Williams' performance and his humour. I may be naive but I believe Robin is playing himself, a humourous chap with a heart of gold. There is a scene his jeep was stuck in a jam together with trucks of GIs. There and then, he, upon request, puts up a stand-up comedy and in his eyes rolling are tears. Now this is not a close-up... I think he is happy not because the soldiers' applause affirm his popularity and hence 'exacting revenge' on the conservative radio station which booted him. But I think because he is wise to know that humour cheers up the soldiers better than words of encouragement or moving big talk. Now, that kind of subtle performance deserves an Oscar too, not necessarily a serious one.

The movie reminds me of how humour is so sparse at workplaces. No boss really wants to take a jokey worker seriously, unless you are a straight-faced no-nonsense worker, in short the nerdy killjoys. They may play the tune of injecting play in your work but they actually mean it as a joke.

The movie can go in all the 'right' directions to be a mushy comedy which yearns to be taken seriously. There are scenes of farewell, arguement between friends with different political views, welcoming back a beloved DJ etc but never once you feel nauseous because of a well-balanced light humour. There is a sequence of Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World playing to shots of a very chaotic Vietnam. I like that very much. Sad, ironical but never insensitive.

Now, I realise from imdb's trivia that Robin's character Adrian Cronauer is based on a real person and he did not do half the things mentioned in the movie that would surely have him court-martialled. Yes, this is taking too much liberty of the facts but hey, I don't mind a bit if that would be a better story.

Rating: A-
December 22, 2016
Excellent Robin Williams performance filled with-- and about-- levity and humanity in the wrong places.
December 13, 2016
A story we already know but yet another more bearable narration.
½ November 24, 2016
This film is about levity, censorship, politics, and a whole lot more. Its a different kind of war film, not about gory battle scenes but about morale and trust. Robin Williams is solid, and is backed by a good cast of allies and over the top military assholes. Its not amazing, but worth a look.
October 14, 2016
Robin Williams is excellent, making the most of his improvisation skills and ad-libbing every one of those funny broadcasts (though his frenetic sense of humor may not be for everyone), and it is a great thing that the movie has a lot of heart and understands the complexity of that conflict.
½ October 10, 2016
Robin Williams truly throws himself into one of his first major movie roles, blending his skill for both on-the-fly comedic routines and teary-eyed gravitas. The first half of the movie is excellent, with Williams' improvised DJ routines entertaining the troops and riling up the top brass at the same time. Plenty of great gags are delivered in these scenes and you may have to watch the film several times to pick up on them all, and the supporting cast all contribute their own unique elements. But rather than blending the importance of humour in difficult situations with the shocking realities of war, at the half way point the film hits the sentiment button, and hits it hard. The laughs almost completely dry up and we are forced to endure a stiff march through the motions. It doesn't sink completely, largely thanks to Williams' sympathetic portrayal, and overall the film is very enjoyable, if fairly unbalanced. Were it not for the dynamism of the central performance it could have been a colossal misfire, but as is, it's often funny, occasionally poignant, and definitely worth the watch.
½ October 7, 2016
it took me nearly 30 years to see this. wish i had not. i know it is somewhat based on a true story but i still find it anti-american.
September 12, 2016
I really enjoyed good morning Vietnam where robin Williams plays a wacky DJ for armed services radio for the Vietnam war I'm not a robin Williams fan but I thought he gave a good performance in this
August 16, 2016
With the sad passing of Robin Williams the other day, I thought I would look back at one of his many great films. I chose GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM because this film was his big breakthrough performance - the one that made him a superstar. For his efforts, he took home his second Golden Globe (R) award (Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical) and he received his first Oscar (R) nomination (Best Actor in a Leading Role). Robin was an incredible talent who will surely be missed by his millions of fans all over the world.

GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM is very loosely based on the experiences of former radio DJ Adrian Cronauer during his stint in (South) Vietnam in 1965 and 1966. Cronauer was a radio announcer on Armed Forces Radio in Crete when he was sent to Saigon back when the Vietnam War was still referred to as a "police action". With his enthusiastic broadcasting style including his now iconic sign on address, his choice of playing James Brown and Martha Reeves & the Vandellas rather than the usual unimaginative fare of Perry Como and Mantovani, and his disdain for authority, he butted heads with his superiors on more than one occasion. But the American soldiers who were posted in Vietnam loved Cronauer and he quickly became the Voice of Saigon.

The real Adrian Cronauer has said on many occasions that if he had acted in real life as he was portrayed in the film, he still would be serving time in military prison. Yes, GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM is not much more than a vehicle to showcase Williams' brand of rapid fire stand up humour, so ignore the back story and enjoy the show. His comparison of Mister Ed (a fictional talking horse from 1960s television) to then former US vice president (and future president) Richard Nixon is pure genius. Who else except Williams would have noticed that the two voices actually sound alike? (It's ironic that the real Cronauer is a big supporter of the Republican Party and probably voted for Nixon.) Throughout the course of the film, Williams also channels other voices from popular culture of the day including Elvis, Gomer Pyle, Elmer Fudd, Rod Serling, Lawrence Welk and Walter Cronkite. Even Ethel Merman makes an "appearance". For those of us who grew up watching with these people on TV, it's like a blast from the past.

Of course, some of Williams' material would never make it onto any radio station back in the 60s let alone a government-run station. His character, Mr. Leo, a flowery fashion consultant for the army, thinks that the soldiers' camouflage uniforms are all wrong. As Mr. Leo says, "You know, you go in the jungle, make a statement. If you're going to fight, clash." Funny, most definitely, but that's because the film was made in 1987 when it was acceptable to make gay jokes like that. The same can be said about Williams' other character, Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, a soldier stationed in Vietnam who provides Cronauer with regular weather updates. ("Fool, it's hot! I told you again!") One can argue that Roosevelt is an updated parody of Jack Benny's servant, Rochester, but I doubt that people back in 1965 would have made the connection let alone appreciated it.

Don't expect to garner any great insights about the American presence in Vietnam in the 60s from watching this film. This is no APOCALYPSE NOW or THE DEER HUNTER. The few scenes that show the Viet Cong bombing American hangouts in Saigon or the Americans bombing the Vietnamese countryside offer nothing more than a Reader's Digest version of the events that took place there. But this film is a pleasure to watch if only to see a master entertainer at work.

Thanks, Robin, for giving us so much happiness. If there is a heaven, I hope you're there making G-d and the angels laugh.
½ August 11, 2016
Under Barry Levinson's masterful direction, Good Morning, Vietnam signifies a captivating storyline, a terrific blend of comedy and drama and delivers one of Robin Williams' best and most memorable performances.
July 29, 2016
Good movie. Well acted.
July 5, 2016
Even if it is inaccurate, Robin Williams gives the best in his performance as a rule-breaking deejay in this comedy-drama about Vietnam radios
June 29, 2016
"Good Morning Vietnam" was enough to convince me on this one. A fantastic performance as ever from the late Robin Williams, and brilliantly scripted. Great humour, whilst exploring sad themes also. I'll hold this one as a classic from now on.
June 27, 2016