Goon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goon Reviews

November 5, 2017
not a bad movie. it was awesome because of the fighting in hockey. I like hockey too.
October 19, 2017
Very funny. Best hockey movie.
September 15, 2017
One of my favorite movies. Made me want to take up hockey for the first time since high school.
September 11, 2017
A dumb, mindless, hilarious good time. Goon utilizes some good characters with some hilarious, slapstick violence for an enjoyable hockey flick
September 7, 2017
A sports farce that's funny from start to finish. Jay Baruchel's scenes as the foul-mouthed best friend are show stealing.
September 3, 2017
Such an underrated film. If you like hockey and good stories, watch this now.
September 2, 2017
Unabashed and therefore entirely original reworking of the age-old tale of heroism, completely unbelievable if it weren't somewhat true.
August 31, 2017
one of Sean William-Scott's rare gems
he's more than just a goofball of an actor given the right material
this sports flick paints a new face over ice hockey by making it way more violent and fun than it should be
it's the physical confrontations that truly drive the fans wild
Doug is very lovable, sweet, and sincere yet he's not the brightest of his entire family
his parents believe he should aspire to be a doctor but even Doug knows he doesn't have the IQ to do something like that
his brother is also gay and they are very religious
his foul mouthed best friend played by Jay Baruchel always has his back
he's recruited for an ice hockey team and it looks like this is his true calling to defend an entire team
he even meets a sweet girl who's troubled like him played by Alison Pill
the ultimate competition still lies ahead in the form of a veteran player played by Liev Schrieber
Doug is a Goon no matter how crazy or how violent the game gets
I do like that a good amount of heart goes next to the bloody jaws, noses and knuckles
if hockey was like this in real life I'm sure everyone would eat it up
manages to skip more than a few clichés I might add
in the span of 85 min Sean William-Scott proves he's a leading man with little intelligence but so much warmth in the field of ice hockey
August 29, 2017
Best hockey film ever.
August 26, 2017
Don't understand why so much hate for this movie, i f**king love it. Its hilarious !!!!
jamrcla
August 21, 2017
A very good and believable film, Really funny and the fight scenes were very hard hitting at times but they were well done, Seann William Scott plays his part brilliant, His character is very believable as were the rest of the cast, I loved Jay Baruchel in this movie his foul mouth and constant a sex humour worked better than it should of, The humour might not be for everyone as it's a weird tone of humour but I found it great, The love story didn't really add anything to the film as a whole but it's was awkwardly funny and sweet, Based on true events but a few things were changed and added on but it's still a great film.
½ August 19, 2017
Just your average american sports comedy but not as bad as your usual average american sports comedy. Rush's Working Man is in its soundtrack after all.
July 18, 2017
Well written, gut bustingly funny and full of heart. Goon ranks among my favourite comedies of all time.
½ July 2, 2017
Fucking hilarious. Dowse's bad experience with the Topher Grace movie must have also been a learning one because this and Fubar II are exquisite academic examples of comedic timing and pacing in filmmaking. It's just this constant forward momentum, controlled chaos, yet with all these beautifully simple and clearly communicated character arcs and plot escalations. Pure joy from start to finish.
½ June 7, 2017
Hilariously funny and easily the best film Sean William Scott has been in.
½ June 2, 2017
Wow... I was actually very surprised about this movie. It is defiantly Seann William Scott's best performance.
April 14, 2017
Very entertaining with great characters, plot and fighting scenes! Such a good hockey film! And I'm not even into Hockey lol
March 28, 2017
this movie is a waste of time and money.
hopefully people who see this movie don't think that it in any way represents Canadian hockey.
March 16, 2017
When it comes to Canadian cinema, there are very few wide releases in a year. Aside from films like Bon Cop Bad Cop or The Sweet Hereafter that have gained a cult following, there isn't much of a draw to Canadian films. On a shoestring budget, Goon was released back in 2012, and while it was not regarded as a box office success, its cult following became fairly large upon its home release. Not only is this a solid Canadian film, but its a solid film in general. Sure, it embraces the fact that its Canadian and exploits the use of hockey, the term "eh," and being extremely polite and apologetic, but when you're making a Canadian film about hockey, why wouldn't you just go all out. Here is why I think Goon demands your attention if you haven't seen it.

Sean William Scott has went off the radar after his stardom in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Starring in hits like American Pie and Dude, Where's My Car?, many people quite enjoyed his presence on-screen. That being said, this is by far the best performance I've ever seen him give. Goon follows Doug Glatt (Scott) as he is recruited by a local OHL hockey team for being a fantastic fighter. He can't skate, he is ridiculed, and his teammates can't even believe he was asked to be on the team. Being very useful when needed, the team begins to come around on him and he may just be what they needed to make the playoffs after all. It's about as Canadian as Canadian stereotypes get, but this film makes it work so well.

With such a simple premise, there needs to be a villain that really gives our hero a run for his money. Hoping to fight the best of the best, Doug will do everything he must, including fighting the champion in Ross Rhea. Although he doesn't have a lot of screen time, Liev Schreiber and Sean William Scott have some very believable chemistry here. Throughout the film you will most likely be focussing on the character arc of Doug, but you will also be long-awaiting the showdown between these two goons on the ice. The wait is more than worth it and I found myself engaged in this film from beginning to end. The fight itself isn't the reason I enjoy this film so much though, but the undeniable likability of the central character.

Rough and tough, Doug Glatt is one hell of a fighter on the ice, but it really is about the humanity of his character. How is as polite as can be off the ice and pretty dim-witted out in the real world. These characteristics are truly what make this film so likeable. Sean William Scott's portrayal of this character is absolutely gut-busting and I found myself laughing throughout every single scene he was present in. Goon is by no means a groundbreaking comedy, but it's easily one of the best films to come from Canada in the last decade or so.

In the end, a film like this wouldn't have been as authentic as it was without an actual Canadian hand in the mix. Written by Jay Baruchel, he also plays Doug's best friend throughout the film, and while he is just present to make audiences laugh, he does serve the purpose of giving his friend the much needed confidence on the ice. Cleverly written, well-directed by the man behind films like The F Word and Take Me Home Tonight, and having a sense of humanity and heart along with some pretty gut-splitting comedy, Goon is easily one of my favourite Canadian films. I really do think this is the best comedy revolving around hockey since the original Slap Shot. It's pretty straight forward when looking back on it and some of the jokes are very one-note, but the story is cared for and the end product is great. I highly recommend Goon.
February 19, 2017
This movie was amazing. It had funny remarks and I think Sean William Scott plays a good idiot.