Goon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goon Reviews

½ June 7, 2017
Hilariously funny and easily the best film Sean William Scott has been in.
½ June 2, 2017
Wow... I was actually very surprised about this movie. It is defiantly Seann William Scott's best performance.
April 14, 2017
Very entertaining with great characters, plot and fighting scenes! Such a good hockey film! And I'm not even into Hockey lol
March 28, 2017
this movie is a waste of time and money.
hopefully people who see this movie don't think that it in any way represents Canadian hockey.
March 16, 2017
When it comes to Canadian cinema, there are very few wide releases in a year. Aside from films like Bon Cop Bad Cop or The Sweet Hereafter that have gained a cult following, there isn't much of a draw to Canadian films. On a shoestring budget, Goon was released back in 2012, and while it was not regarded as a box office success, its cult following became fairly large upon its home release. Not only is this a solid Canadian film, but its a solid film in general. Sure, it embraces the fact that its Canadian and exploits the use of hockey, the term "eh," and being extremely polite and apologetic, but when you're making a Canadian film about hockey, why wouldn't you just go all out. Here is why I think Goon demands your attention if you haven't seen it.

Sean William Scott has went off the radar after his stardom in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Starring in hits like American Pie and Dude, Where's My Car?, many people quite enjoyed his presence on-screen. That being said, this is by far the best performance I've ever seen him give. Goon follows Doug Glatt (Scott) as he is recruited by a local OHL hockey team for being a fantastic fighter. He can't skate, he is ridiculed, and his teammates can't even believe he was asked to be on the team. Being very useful when needed, the team begins to come around on him and he may just be what they needed to make the playoffs after all. It's about as Canadian as Canadian stereotypes get, but this film makes it work so well.

With such a simple premise, there needs to be a villain that really gives our hero a run for his money. Hoping to fight the best of the best, Doug will do everything he must, including fighting the champion in Ross Rhea. Although he doesn't have a lot of screen time, Liev Schreiber and Sean William Scott have some very believable chemistry here. Throughout the film you will most likely be focussing on the character arc of Doug, but you will also be long-awaiting the showdown between these two goons on the ice. The wait is more than worth it and I found myself engaged in this film from beginning to end. The fight itself isn't the reason I enjoy this film so much though, but the undeniable likability of the central character.

Rough and tough, Doug Glatt is one hell of a fighter on the ice, but it really is about the humanity of his character. How is as polite as can be off the ice and pretty dim-witted out in the real world. These characteristics are truly what make this film so likeable. Sean William Scott's portrayal of this character is absolutely gut-busting and I found myself laughing throughout every single scene he was present in. Goon is by no means a groundbreaking comedy, but it's easily one of the best films to come from Canada in the last decade or so.

In the end, a film like this wouldn't have been as authentic as it was without an actual Canadian hand in the mix. Written by Jay Baruchel, he also plays Doug's best friend throughout the film, and while he is just present to make audiences laugh, he does serve the purpose of giving his friend the much needed confidence on the ice. Cleverly written, well-directed by the man behind films like The F Word and Take Me Home Tonight, and having a sense of humanity and heart along with some pretty gut-splitting comedy, Goon is easily one of my favourite Canadian films. I really do think this is the best comedy revolving around hockey since the original Slap Shot. It's pretty straight forward when looking back on it and some of the jokes are very one-note, but the story is cared for and the end product is great. I highly recommend Goon.
February 19, 2017
This movie was amazing. It had funny remarks and I think Sean William Scott plays a good idiot.
January 19, 2017
I can watch this everyday. and I do.
½ January 8, 2017
Well acted and decent for a hockey movie.
January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 19, 2016
Had heard this was a decent movie, and it actually was quite enjoyable. A decent study of hockey/hockey culture. Pretty straight forward plot, but good characters and decent pace. It was a little annoying how simple they made the main character, but it was offset by his caring and innocence.
December 18, 2016
Rewatch. Good dumb fun.
November 17, 2016
Really stupid but has some funny parts
October 5, 2016
Who said this was good? Awful. Repetitive and dull. It's no 'Slapshot' unfortunately.
August 31, 2016
This is a good movie even if you don't enjoy hockey. (78% of all Americans don't enjoy hockey.)
August 27, 2016
Goon is a comedy about a guy who can fight well and plays hockey, but can't actually play hockey. This one started off sort of clunky and rushed for me, and the lead actor really wasn't that great here, but had his moments. The romance was forced and much of the dialogue between the two was pretty bad, I'm pretty sure it was on purpose, but it was done a little too well. However, the middle and ending of the film become pretty good, even with the awful love story. There were definitely more than a few really funny moments, and the ending was quite a bit more compelling that I was expecting it to be. In the end, Goon is a strange mix of tough characters with some uneven acting with some pretty gruesome scenes, and a plot that pick up better the more you go into it to deliver a good message about friendship and loyalty, I was kind of surprised by it
½ August 19, 2016
Get dialogue! Love it!
½ August 3, 2016
This was pretty hilarious and stupid.
August 2, 2016
Very funny. There is some blood, fighting, and some other stuff, but I laughed more than anything coming out of this film.
July 28, 2016
Goon is directed by Michael Dowse, and it stars Seann William Scott, Jay Baruchel, Alison Pill, and Liev Schreiber in a sports comedy about a bodyguard that wanted to do something worthwhile in his life, and when his best friend and him went to a hockey game, one of the hockey team was about to go at Pat (Jay Baruchel) Doug (Seann William Scott) goes at the player and beats the living crap out of him, which got one of the hockey coach to notice him and hired him as a goon. When going through YouTube, I was watching a video about movies that people haven't seen in a decade, which I actually have, and when I saw Goon in one of the list, I figured I go back to it again and see how it holds up, which it really does. I haven't seen Seann William Scott in a while, and in this, he's fantastic in this, and it's interesting that even though he plays a goon, he's also a really nice guy that would mess with someone that would either mess with the main character, his family, or his team. The team members are very memorable, and the fight scenes are entertaining to watch, even if it's brutal to watch at times that some people would look away from the film. As Jay Baruchel's first script, which he co-wrote with Evan Goldberg, it's really good at bringing humor to it, while also creating a lot of heart, which is something that I haven't quite seen in a while. Alison Pill is really good, and the chemistry between Eva and Doug is very adorable. The hockey scenes are exciting that got me to hope that Doug's team would succeed as I cared about the characters, and I like that Liev Schreiber's character is not necessarily a villain in this as he doesn't hate the main character, and more or less respects him. Goon is probably my favorite hockey film that I hope that Goon: Last of the Enforcers gets made so I can go and see it.
July 23, 2016
Surprisingly good, and also surprisingly sad. Really really sad. I never would have guessed in a million years that Sean William Scott would be able to pull off the sensitivity required for a role like this.