Goon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goon Reviews

October 5, 2016
Who said this was good? Awful. Repetitive and dull. It's no 'Slapshot' unfortunately.
August 31, 2016
This is a good movie even if you don't enjoy hockey. (78% of all Americans don't enjoy hockey.)
August 27, 2016
Goon is a comedy about a guy who can fight well and plays hockey, but can't actually play hockey. This one started off sort of clunky and rushed for me, and the lead actor really wasn't that great here, but had his moments. The romance was forced and much of the dialogue between the two was pretty bad, I'm pretty sure it was on purpose, but it was done a little too well. However, the middle and ending of the film become pretty good, even with the awful love story. There were definitely more than a few really funny moments, and the ending was quite a bit more compelling that I was expecting it to be. In the end, Goon is a strange mix of tough characters with some uneven acting with some pretty gruesome scenes, and a plot that pick up better the more you go into it to deliver a good message about friendship and loyalty, I was kind of surprised by it
½ August 19, 2016
Get dialogue! Love it!
½ August 3, 2016
This was pretty hilarious and stupid.
August 2, 2016
Very funny. There is some blood, fighting, and some other stuff, but I laughed more than anything coming out of this film.
July 28, 2016
Goon is directed by Michael Dowse, and it stars Seann William Scott, Jay Baruchel, Alison Pill, and Liev Schreiber in a sports comedy about a bodyguard that wanted to do something worthwhile in his life, and when his best friend and him went to a hockey game, one of the hockey team was about to go at Pat (Jay Baruchel) Doug (Seann William Scott) goes at the player and beats the living crap out of him, which got one of the hockey coach to notice him and hired him as a goon. When going through YouTube, I was watching a video about movies that people haven't seen in a decade, which I actually have, and when I saw Goon in one of the list, I figured I go back to it again and see how it holds up, which it really does. I haven't seen Seann William Scott in a while, and in this, he's fantastic in this, and it's interesting that even though he plays a goon, he's also a really nice guy that would mess with someone that would either mess with the main character, his family, or his team. The team members are very memorable, and the fight scenes are entertaining to watch, even if it's brutal to watch at times that some people would look away from the film. As Jay Baruchel's first script, which he co-wrote with Evan Goldberg, it's really good at bringing humor to it, while also creating a lot of heart, which is something that I haven't quite seen in a while. Alison Pill is really good, and the chemistry between Eva and Doug is very adorable. The hockey scenes are exciting that got me to hope that Doug's team would succeed as I cared about the characters, and I like that Liev Schreiber's character is not necessarily a villain in this as he doesn't hate the main character, and more or less respects him. Goon is probably my favorite hockey film that I hope that Goon: Last of the Enforcers gets made so I can go and see it.
July 23, 2016
Surprisingly good, and also surprisingly sad. Really really sad. I never would have guessed in a million years that Sean William Scott would be able to pull off the sensitivity required for a role like this.
July 21, 2016
You know, not a great film, but it has its moments in the hockey scene. The love story in this film was there only because a movie apparently needs to have a love story. It didn't exactly further the plot a great deal. I thought Scott did a good job, in that he wasn't playing his usual quick-witted, snappy character. I thought there were a ton of nice Canadian-isms in the film that made it enjoyable, as I watched it with several Americans who were unfamiliar with my homeland; it was nice to share. Overall, I enjoyed this film.
July 8, 2016
Hilariously funny and easily the best film Sean William Scott has been in.
½ June 28, 2016
A talentless hockey player becoming a champion through violence. It's also not funny, it's more like a waste of time.
June 3, 2016
You don't at all need to be a fan of Hockey, sports movies or Sean William Scott to enjoy Goon. I know because I don't care for any of them and I still thought it was great.

Less cask wine than expected though.
May 14, 2016
This movie is 100% perfect. I have absolutely no interest in hockey, and I still don't, but this movie is perfect.
½ May 2, 2016
A frustrating movie that has many moments of promise. The script is pretty poor and Seann simply can't manage the required character nuances well enough to compensate, leaving the viewer with alternate moments of genuine hilarity and embarrassment. I mean, if you didn't know it was based on a true story you'd think you were watching Happy Gilmore at times. As a result, it's also a lost opportunity to tap more insightfully into a niche culture. I enjoyed quite a few moments in this film, and thought substanstially less of others. The depiction of violence can be pretty ham-fisted in a pretentious sort of way too. There's a good story here that's worth telling, but this effort doesn't quite get there.
April 22, 2016
Firstly, it took me a while to realize stuff like this happens in real sports. Yes in a spur of the moment there can be a fight or two, but legally recruiting someone to rough up the opposition in a live game of hockey is definitely new. What's even fresher is Sean William Scott plays a humble down-to-earth character even after going for super-stardom.

Doug (Seann William Scott) works as a bouncer in a local tavern who belongs to a family of highly educated professionals. One day a hockey team coach notices his talent of dealing with miscreants and offers him a place in the local hockey team, his job is precisely to protect the rest of the team and smash the opposition. He gets promoted to the state level team who is wildly encouraged by his foul mouthed friend Pat (Jay Baruchel). Here he comes face to face with a notorious and legendary goon of the opposite team Ross Rhea (Liev Schreiber) and facing him will make him part of history.

Sean William Scott gives a humble performance who otherwise is associated with jerk like characters. Jay Baruchel is energetic and occasionally over the top, while the rest of the team members are aptly cast. Liev gives the necessary image required for the notoriety associated with Ross Rhea character as the face off builds up the second half of the movie. It is a simple story with generic sports drama elements only that it is not a normal sport and our protagonist is not a conventional sports person. Decent runtime, the injected love story starts good but drags a bit after a while. The final showdown drama is well done

Go with no expectations and you will not be too disappointed.
April 14, 2016
I New Favorite of Mine.
April 12, 2016
An exceptional piece of Canadian cinema!
April 3, 2016
Would give more stars if he didn't go full retard.
½ April 2, 2016
Wow, I'm shocked Rotten tomatoes actually got something close to right. Although It should be at 90% rating I'll give this shitty critic site kudos for actually being close
March 26, 2016
A very good film, Really funny and the fight scenes were well done, Seann William Scott plays his part well, A good comedy film worth watching.