The Goonies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Goonies Reviews

May 16, 2018
"Goonies never say die!"

Nostalgia trip to the past on this lovely adventure romance that children of adults alike will enjoy. It still holds up 35 years later. The ultra fast pace will hold your attention, the jokes will still make you genuinely laugh, and the adventure will still thrill you. I can easily imagine parents sitting down passing their love of The Goonies to a new generation with their kids. The Goonies remains a sweet coming of age story that brings you on a fantastic adventure on screen. You feel like you are one of their friends. It is absolutely charming.

Director Richard Donner, of The Omen and Superman fame, crafts the childhood of kids everywhere with his delightful film The Goonies. The wondrous close up shots and inspired panning shots still look gorgeous. The entire attic scene is so well filmed it looks like it could have been directed by Steven Spielberg who came up with the story for The Goonies.

Donner adapts Spielberg's vision with stunning results. From the fun sequences of the kids hanging around the house or discovering a pirate ship, every scene is a blast. Donner directed The Goonies so well, it has solidified its status as a cinema classic! Richard Donner deserves to be remembered fondly for all the first-rate films he directed.

Chris Columbus's script is a real treat as the cast of children and teenagers actually talk like how real kids speak. They swear, goof around, taunt, and come up with endless one liners. The story itself is such a pleasant mystery that is elevated by the verisimilitude of the language. Columbus's screenplay is truly one of Hollywood's best ever with his clever wit and neat characterization.

The Goonies boasts a powerful score from Dave Grusin who captures the magic of childhood and the exhilarating feeling of going on an adventure with your friends. The music is iconic as The Goonies' iconography, writing, and cinematography. Grusin composed a lovely score that still sounds beautiful to me.

Lastly, but certainly not least, The Goonies has a splendid cast of child actors that carry the movie to new heights. Sean Astin, Josh Brolin, Corey Feldman, Jeff Cohen, Ke Huy Quan, Kerri Green, and Martha Plimpton were excellent child actors. You believe them the entire time. They each represent a type and they play their part perfectly. Anyone watching The Goonies today can still relate to these kids. The Goonies has an enchanting ensemble here.

In short, buy The Goonies. You will want to watch and revisit this movie often. For adults and children of all ages. I cannot recommend The Goonies enough!
May 13, 2018
When I was growing up, my grandpa used to record movies for us off the T.V. Yeah, it was very much illegal, but that's how I learned about some great movies from the 80s and 90s.

I can specifically remember turning the dial on an old-school tube T.V. to watch "The Goonies" one weekend. Now that there's a bunch of movies on Blu-Ray, I think it's kinda of taken away some of the experience of watching a film on a crappy T.V., but that's just my opinion.

"The Goonies" was written by Steven Speilberg and Christoper Columbus, those names should be familiar to you. It was also directed by Richard Donner, primarily known for directing the "Lethal Weapon" films.

For those who are completely new to "The Goonies." The plot follows a group of adolescent kids, known as The Goonies. They all reside in Astoria, Oregon and soon their entire neighbor is going to be demolished to make way for newer houses.

Mikey (Sean Astin), Brand (Josh Brolin) Mouth (Corey Feldman), Chunk (Jeff Cohen), and Data (Jonathon Ke Quan) stumble upon a map that may lead to buried treasure, and they decide to go after it.

What they don't realize is that a band of criminals, the Fratellis (Anne Ramsey, Joe Pantolliano, and Robert Davi) are hiding out in the exact spot that the map points them to!

Mikey and the rest of the Goonies, along with Andy and Stef (Keri Green and Martha Plimpton) must follow the map through caves full of deadly booby traps, and not mention the Fratellis who are right on their tails.

Can The Goonies find the buried treasure--and as a result pay off the foreclosure on their homes? Will the Fratellis catch up with them, and put a permanent end to their adventure? You'll have to find out!

So let's review "The Goonies"

It's not difficult to see the appeal of this film, and it's even better to watch it as an adult.

"The Goonies" is an adventure film at its core, but it infuses elements of other genres to compliment the main storyline.

Each character and the way they interact with each other make them feel relatable and familiar. Christopher Columbus' script is superb, and it really keeps the audience's attention.

The biggest element, in my opinion, is the comedy. By often using adult oriented jokes, the film makes a connection to the older crowd while allowing the audience to feel close to the main characters.

Secondly, "The Goonies" has an element of suspense and danger to it. The Fraterllis are armed and dangerous, and willing to go to extremes to get rid of anyone on their trail.

Lastly, there are scary scenes thrown in, and that also crosses another barrier into the horror genre of film. Thus, bringing in an even larger audience.

The scary scenes include: Andy and Stef running into the fish on a stick--which is both funny and scary, I like it! Meeting Sloth (John Matuszak) at the gross restaurant, finding Chester Copperpot in the tunnel, and escaping the octopus--which was cut from the theatrical version.

"The Goonies" features a fantastic cast, and great performances all around. There's plenty of adventure and action, and the humor is priceless!

If you haven't seen this movie yet--do yourself a favor--and SEE IT!
May 11, 2018
Goonies never say Die!
½ April 25, 2018
A great movie with some language
April 15, 2018
A classic 80s film all the way
March 28, 2018
A true classic. Steven Spielberg's magic is all over this film.
½ March 14, 2018
This movie got me into movies when I was a child. It's a great adventure that I never wanted to stop. Brings me back to my childhood every time I watch it. Love it
February 13, 2018
A must see for all kids.
½ January 30, 2018
Arguably a 80's classic, The Goonies' feel-good atmosphere appeals to all ages in an entertaining adventure.
December 24, 2017
Classic. Probably the best childhood nostalgia movie of the 80s.
December 9, 2017
Great classic, a must see for everyone
½ November 2, 2017
A silly movie I remember liking as a teenager. Its not particularly thrilling, nor is it very original. But the kids in the movie each have a different personality. That sets it apart from hundreds of other movies. Donner did a good job.
½ October 28, 2017
Entertaining; the movie flowed together well. A fun movie, just full of illogical parts, as is usual for an entertaining feel-good film. It would be much better without those illogical bits.
October 28, 2017
I'm a GOONIE forever, Goonies never say die.
1 of my TOP 10 CULT FAVOURITES. Sadly, Mikey grew up.
Visually and Musically LOVELY. Dead Things, Dead Things Mikey.
½ October 27, 2017
A really cool treasure hunt movie that needs a sequel.
October 10, 2017
This is the fun and adventure movie in 1985 movie with Steven Spielberg storyteller
½ October 2, 2017
When two brothers find out they might lose their house they are desperate to find a way to keep their home. They find a treasure map and bring some friends along to find it. They are all out looking for the "X" and trying to get away from a group of bad guys who also want the treasure.
Classic childhood favourite.
½ September 19, 2017
Weird, fun, and interesting to watch as an adult.
½ September 18, 2017
2017-09-18 amusing enough
September 10, 2017
Goonies never say die, and neither will the greatness of the film. From nostagia, heart, thrill of adventure to the overall heart of this movie. The legacy lives on.