Gran Torino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gran Torino Reviews

½ September 20, 2017
Its clear now that Eastwood is the cowboy behind the camera making seemingly effortless affecting movies. Although this seems to be slipping through the awards season net I have to jump in and say that there is little wrong with this at all and deserves some big attention come awards night. A simple story brilliantly made, with Eastwood landing himself the lead as the veteran who has to become the man he once was a la Unforgiven - maybe he still wants to be that cowboy after all...
September 18, 2017
fantastic film. Good acting.
½ September 18, 2017
This movie is spectacular. Clint Eastwood transmits such a realistic character. No flashback scenes were needed, you could feel Walt's pain. The storyline is simple but powerful. No nudity, but much profanity. Yet, the profanity was perfect to set the mood of the character and time period. There are only a handful of movies that measure up to this one. One of the best I've seen in my life (26 years).
½ September 10, 2017
Gran Torino is a good movie that needs to be constantly re-edited in your head. Walt's (Eastwood) adult children tell us what we need to know about the character in the first scene through wooden dialogue. Sue, a young Hmong woman next door, tells Walt, and the audience, what we need to know about her people's history is a similarly contrived info dump. There's really nothing subtle about how anything is revealed. Less would have been better. But Eastwood's performance and the relationship between Walt and Thao are convincing and sell the story, which is the most important thing. While the setup is a bit hamfisted, the sweeter moments are handled deftly, and are genuine and meaningful. The conclusion also subverts expectations, especially if you see Walt as a retired Dirty Harry and expected an outcome like that movie or A Fistful of Dollars.
September 4, 2017
Great movie. Made me cry! ????????
September 3, 2017
Some filmmakers, no matter what they make, there work will always be terrific, and Clint Eastwood is one of them. So far, I've only seen two movies by him, Unforgiven (1993) and this one, but I can assure you, they're both damn fine. This film makes the list of one of the most thought-provoking movies I've ever seen, it's dramatic, touching, fascinating and certainly entertaining. Really makes me want to see more of Clint Eastwood's movies. Great movie and recommended !!
½ August 28, 2017
Clint Eastwood vs Asians
August 7, 2017
Not bad but the ending is such a disappointment.
August 1, 2017
A great film..
A retired car worker and Korean War vet Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) fills emptiness in his life with beer and home repair,(he is a widower) despising the many Asian, Latino and black families in his neighborhood. Walt becomes a reluctant hero when he stands up to the local thugs
July 2, 2017
Again a great job from Clint Eastwood.
June 18, 2017
O inicio é trôpego, a estorinha demora para nos conquistar mas quando estamos no clímax, buum somos impactados pela ousadia de Nick Schenk com seu roteiro dramático de caráter melancólico. Eastwood tem uma atuação rabugenta de atraente desempenho mas a inexperiência dos outros atores trazem charme e doçura a trama.
½ June 3, 2017
A familiar story from a shallow film that tries so very hard to shout out its emotions and themes.
½ May 14, 2017
This old school, slow-burning drama manages to spin a delicate, quiet, and respectable yarn for its first two-thirds, offering up a slew of complicated characters, solid dramatic intrigue, and several healthy doses of irreverent humor in the process. But what first starts out as a seemingly basic, "going-of-age" mood piece eventually twists beautifully into a searing and poignant ethical study of redemption, sacrifice, and simply doing the right thing. In fact, get this - I actually had the unfortunate pleasure of having this movie's ending spoiled for me before finally seeing it. But, sure enough, even though I knew full well how things were going to come to a close, "Gran Torino's" emotional climax still got me. Right, square in "the feels," as they say. Just another one of the many reasons why Eastwood's eye for crowd-pleasing narratives ranks amongst the keenest in the biz.
½ April 2, 2017
Clint Eastwood cannot stop himself from making films filled with racist prejudice. This time, we see gangs (of Hmongs, Mexicans, blacks, never white people) confronted with an old fart able to fire his gun to defend his car ... that it is intelligent! Of course, the old white racist protects the nice yellows who come to work for free at his home ... Morality: long live slavery, racist prejudices and old armed fart who shoots the evil immigrants ... Avoid this! This is what Trump America's look like!
February 6, 2017
The acting from some of the Hmong actors is sometimes a little off and the film has a smaller scope than what some might want from Clint Eastwood but the film is firmly anchored by his phenomenal performance and its unexpectedly sweet and humorous direction
½ February 6, 2017
Eastwood hardly miss it! What a director!
January 30, 2017
Amazing actor, Director and story teller. This movie left me speechless. Dirty Harry's final act goes out on top and with class. My Father always said to my Mom that after we got to a certain age he couldn't relate anymore with us. My Dad had a hard life growing up and I think seeing us have it so easy some how felt unfair. We weren't as tough or as poor but over the years we saw how hard life could be. He made sacrifices for us we aren't willing to make for our children today. We have grown closer and finally see eye to eye. Walt made the ultimate sacrifice for people that weren't even his blood. My father made his for us. See this movie you'll be a better person for it.
January 15, 2017
Loved this. Made me laugh and very touching
½ January 10, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 3, 2017
Brought tears to my eyes.