Gran Torino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gran Torino Reviews

February 16, 2018
Slow but enjoyable. With a great ending.
February 3, 2018
Very well written, and Eastwood is awesome.
January 29, 2018
We've all meat this old man. Maybe he won't ever have a filter, but hee can learn to appreciate the struggle of others and how similar they are to his own.
January 28, 2018
Throughout his career, Clint has had a knack of making movies that lots of people like, and this is one of 'em. Not his best and the kids aren't good actors, but it's very enjoyable. Those that look for political correctness shouldn't be TOO offended.
January 17, 2018
The movie that showed that clint eastwood can still kick arse even as a old man
January 4, 2018
Re-watching this in 2017 makes me enjoy this movie even more than I did before, and seeing the droves up SJWs talking about how "racist" this film is makes me realize how much more provocative and great this film really is.
Back when this film came out (which wasn't all that long ago) people weren't obsessed with calling everything racist, and this movie did a great job of taking place in a part of town similar to many other towns in America. Gran Torino actually used real Hmong actors, which I thought was a great idea, despite using unknown actors whose acting chops weren't exactly great. But it helped add to the realism of the film.
Although the story is predictable, the supporting cast can be a little robotic, and Eastwood is a bit over the top at times, this story turns a rough and calloused exterior , and turned it into a very heartfelt story, much like Eastwood's character.
If this movie offended you, or you were mad that "there were no white gangs", you either don't live in America, or you have never been to Detroit. The director obviously wanted this movie to have a dialogue about the actual demographics of that old industrial area of Detroit. and they did so in a very realistic way.
I think Gran Torino makes humor out of ugliness at times, and turns a tragic story into a story of acceptance, and personal growth. I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone who gets offended by their own shadow, but for the normal people who enjoy cinema, it is a great outing for Eastwood, and loved that it draws attention to the American-Hmong people, cause many Americans that watch this film wont even know who the Hmong people are.

Great Film. 7.5/10
December 16, 2017
Wonderfull movie. Such emotionally catches. The script was wise & Clint Eastwood direction was fabulous. Every cast member played their role very well. Even Clint performance was outstanding. While he slanging or hiting like fire.. the issue I found with this movie is nothing.
½ December 12, 2017
Clint Eastwood one more time proves that he can both direct and act in a movie. "Gran Torino" is one of his best recent movies and one of his best role performances. He build such a angry, grumpy, racist, prejudiced and rude character who goes through an excellently developed redemption. Walt Kowalski is one of his best characters in recent years. And proves as well he has still the capacity to guide a talented cast. Again an old and classic director had shown us that age isn't the synonymous for sloppiness.
November 24, 2017
A very well made, well acted film. Very thought provoking. We all know someone like Walt, and we know that while they may say horrible things that they're actually good people who just aren't familiar with people different from them and if only they could know these people they say such awful things about their opinions be wildly different. As I said, a deep profound movie without being overly preachy, movies trying to convey a message like this can be way to heavy handed at time but here they let it play out and feel natural. One of my favorite movies from 2009.
November 9, 2017
Classy movie. With good ac ting, and profound moral subjects for the story.
November 6, 2017
Very interesting and humorous movie. I loved it!
October 31, 2017
/Users/coleanthonymclaren/Desktop/gran torino .docx
the moral lesson is forgiveness
October 10, 2017
Clint Eastwood's best film!
½ October 7, 2017
Eastwood is great as usual as a grumpy racist war veteran with endless hilariously racist quips! The acting by literally everyone else in the movie though is as bad as I've ever seen and the storyline is fairly straightforward/predictable. Even with Eastwoods brilliance I don't know this film has such a high rating as the only good thing about it is Eastwood himself!
September 30, 2017
Clint Eastwood is the best!
½ September 20, 2017
Its clear now that Eastwood is the cowboy behind the camera making seemingly effortless affecting movies. Although this seems to be slipping through the awards season net I have to jump in and say that there is little wrong with this at all and deserves some big attention come awards night. A simple story brilliantly made, with Eastwood landing himself the lead as the veteran who has to become the man he once was a la Unforgiven - maybe he still wants to be that cowboy after all...
September 18, 2017
fantastic film. Good acting.
½ September 18, 2017
This movie is spectacular. Clint Eastwood transmits such a realistic character. No flashback scenes were needed, you could feel Walt's pain. The storyline is simple but powerful. No nudity, but much profanity. Yet, the profanity was perfect to set the mood of the character and time period. There are only a handful of movies that measure up to this one. One of the best I've seen in my life (26 years).
½ September 10, 2017
Gran Torino is a good movie that needs to be constantly re-edited in your head. Walt's (Eastwood) adult children tell us what we need to know about the character in the first scene through wooden dialogue. Sue, a young Hmong woman next door, tells Walt, and the audience, what we need to know about her people's history is a similarly contrived info dump. There's really nothing subtle about how anything is revealed. Less would have been better. But Eastwood's performance and the relationship between Walt and Thao are convincing and sell the story, which is the most important thing. While the setup is a bit hamfisted, the sweeter moments are handled deftly, and are genuine and meaningful. The conclusion also subverts expectations, especially if you see Walt as a retired Dirty Harry and expected an outcome like that movie or A Fistful of Dollars.
September 4, 2017
Great movie. Made me cry! ????????