Gran Torino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gran Torino Reviews

October 26, 2016
Horribly acted but friggin hilarious.
October 26, 2016
A surprisingly touching and heart warming film with a very good comedic side to it.
October 10, 2016
Standing strong/ Do you belong/ In your skin/ Just wondering...
½ October 1, 2016
A wonderful movie about life and death, and how our decisions through life can make us slaves of it, the characters of Walt and Thao are great as well as their chemistry, the story is heart felt and the performances top notch.
½ September 28, 2016
What a great and compelling movie Gran Torino is.
It shows brilliantly the dynamics of racism and how it can be overcome.
Terrific performance and direction from Eastwood.
September 28, 2016
I may not agree with his politics but he sure makes good movies. Finally got around to watching Gran Torino and really enjoyed it.
September 25, 2016
You could say that Eastwood plays the same role in every movie, the reason being because nobody else could pull it off with such ease. Just a look and you know somebody gonna need to be lucky.
½ August 30, 2016
A thrilling drama with a great leading turn from Eastwood and a striking foreign supporting cast, the story of Gran Torino is one that everyone should see.
August 23, 2016
Another great Eastwood acting job. Gran Torino had solid characters and a powerful story.
August 22, 2016
Gran Torino is a very good movie, which loses out on the chance to be great due to a surprisingly flat performance by star/director/producer Eastwood. Clint plays Walt Kowalski. an old-school, cuss-mouthed, gun-totin', beer-guzzlin', slur-throwin', scowling, grunting, grumpy, contemptuous Korean War vet and right honorable SOB, coping with the loss of his wife and interacting begrudgingly with the Asian Ethnic enclave that has taken over his neighborhood. For a long while we tag along with Walt as he slowly warms to his "gook" neighbors, particularly cheeky and precocious teenager Sue (Ahney Her in a wonderful performance), and her younger brother Thao, who Walt catches trying to steal his '72 Gran Torino for a local gang. Eventually Walt takes the boy under his wing, but as the boy wises up the threat of retaliation by the thugs he snubbed threatens the whole neighborhood.

Unfortunately for us, Clint plays Walt as a caricature of the man he could be rather than the man himself. For a man with such a ripe and conflicted background he carries no nuance whatsoever, beating the "I'm pissed at the world and I'll say whatever the f%&k I want" drum over, and over, and over. The result is a wonderfully long string of unintentional comedy permeating the first two-thirds of the film. Were Eastwood to follow these laughs and the thus-far pleasant, predictable plot to the end, he would have made an unremarkable but perfectly entertaining film.

Gran Torino aspires to be above that, but by the time it speeds up and turns to a dark, compelling place befitting that aspiration, we're too stuck in the silliness to become engrossed, and when it reaches its poignant and powerful end, I found it hard to be moved.

Depsite the disjuncture, Gran Torino is a strong film, and well worth a watch or two. Had Eastwood breathed a bit more life into his character in the early goings, however, he would have elevated the film to a much higher level.
August 12, 2016
This movie is heart warming and heartbreaking simultaneously. This movie strikes perhaps the most difficult societal issue down with an axe and never misses. The social commentary found in this film is as relevant as it was seven years ago and will likely continue to be for some time to come as gang culture proliferates. Eastwood plays the role of a xenophobic korean war vet absolutely perfectly. His character is so clearly broken, making his redemption deep and impactful.Though the film is not without its flaws, the central message, the motifs of forgiveness, acceptance, and perhaps most importantly, human kinship, carry this film from start to finish. This is an eye-opening film, beautifully directed, and acted by Eastwood and the actual Hmong cast. The story is simply unforgettable. Please watch Gran Torino. It deserves to be seen not only by movie lovers. But humankind as a whole.
August 8, 2016
A perfect movie (aside from some of the side characters' acting)
July 28, 2016
This is a movie that takes on racism without dehumanizing the racist. In the end it wasn't hate, resentment or a self-righteous PC-ism that won they day, but tolerance, acceptance, good will and humor in the face of bigotry. I loved it
July 19, 2016
Racism, manhood, friendship. Human story about Korean War veteran coming to peace.
July 18, 2016
Clint Eastwood's final acting role is one for the ages.
July 17, 2016
Eastwood is a legend
July 13, 2016
This may be the performance of a lifetime. I am positive Clint Eastwood can deliver more quality to his characters and how his stories are inspired by all events.
½ July 8, 2016
When we have to start relying on ourselves to take care of things when our loved ones are gone. When we can't rely on family whom dont understand you, use you or can't help you when they either want it for themselves or you rather just do it yourself. When we are not reliable to others when they come in the wrong place and time. When we can't rely on our country when they let us down during war we served, or letting the enemy move next door. When we can't rely on others when they don't understand their times, or people. When the things we relied upon we keep hidden in mint condition. When other things we rely upon whom let us down, we keep stored down locked away. When no threat scares us when we been through war and seen more scary shit then somethings that we face. When we face a crisis when things go bad, we can always rely on the people to help us get through it. When some people are unreliable when they support other things that don't build their own country's industry, civility, or relations with others.
When coming of age we have to be reliable and help out more. When we have always relied upon religion and culture to pave our way through life. When we your more relied upon when your move away to make room for better neighbor for others. When we don't want any reliance on others help. When you live in dangerous parts of the neighbourhood, you need reliance to have your back when your in the trouble. When being in a gang means we rely on members and weapons to protect us. When we don't need any reliance when we are used to living in harsh environments and we rely on ourselves to do nothing to be safe. When we can always rely on good reliable man's best friend at times, but not always when we are tired and old.
When we can always rely on others our age or people whom understand us to know what we want, in a joke, a remedy for pain, and to talk what's bothering us. When we always looking out for those beyond the grave when we asked others to do so. When we are relied upon to serve God's work and our fellow parisheners work. When reliance is persistence to help others selflessly or to get something small in return. When we rely upon a gang that is persistent to treat you better, stronger and protect you but you have to prove yourself. When we can alway rely on our weapons to protect us, when we are threatened. When we don't expect reliance, we reward those who save us as a hero for their deeds. When we always relied upon family to have our back and a neighbour. When we once saw the importance of an army to help us or a large family to help us. When we are used to relying on ourselves, that we neglect others whom duty is to protect. When we rely on good to light the path of darkness during times of turmoil. When somethings are are just more reliable then others, when its helped us during dark times. When we rely on our own ways of life, living, wording to communicate with the world and live in it to make our self happy in it. When blending in is not reliable when we can see through some people whom are soft and fake and those whom are hard and real. When relying in ourselves to get through trouble doesn't always work and we are out matched and over powered. When we rely on life we know about our country others country and all about life we can relate to others easily. When not everyone is the same, and there are good reliable people you can count on to help. When others whom try to help us, rely on their money and others more experienced to help out when we are seen as unreliable, old and weak that can't take care of ourselves. When we can always count on the things that stood the test of time, newspapers to know the world news, a pet to talk to, and a porch to relax and observe outside. When what we see, we are unhappy to see another house, when we rely upon outside views to relax us. When some views are pleasant to us to see.
When others don't understand us, we rely on them to leave us alone. When others we easily relate to, we are welcomed when we know what they want and like, we rely on them for a good time and a simple beer. When we rely on others to help us understand those whom are different to us to see what they see about us, and to se how we see about them. When we rely on guidance from others to keep us on the right path, whether we accept it or not, depending on how stubborn we are, or health depends on it. When we are always looking for something to naturally do, when we always relied upon our hands to do the job. When we rely upon our eyes and senses that can put some knowledge and perspective in things to people we relate to and can see eye to eye with. When some good reliable ways of life are still good when they do the trick. When others are constantly relied upon to up hold traditions and cultural practices. When we are unreliable when we are not good at anything. When we are reliable when we do as we are told without any questions why. When we can rely upon the strength we don't have but others have to do some work around the house. When we are old and our body is no longer reliable, we go see a doctor. When whom we see matters when we are comfortable with those whom we known reliable for along time. When we are always let down by others that makes reliability hard to come by. When something is reliable it stands the tests of time. When it is builded strong, made with good materials and quality, it is strong. When we are reliable because we are a great friend and grateful. When what pleases us are things that are reliable. When something we see reliable and old, others might see used and old worth less. When we are a large source of reliability when others whom have less we give, as they return the favour. When reliability is good, when we do good, it makes feel better inside, but weaker to deal with our illnesses. When we enjoy doing as it is reliable when it relaxes us all through tough times is killing us. When we rely on advice and guidance for others to follow, but we refuse to hear. When we rely on understanding one another to know what we like, how and why we treat eachother this way, we rely on ways of communicating that stood the test of time when things never change and nothing is ever good. When we rely on like minded knuckle heads to help us when we are down, but also face the unreliable ones that gouge us financially. When we are reliable, to get us on our feet, to start us up. When others are seen not welcomed when they are seen unreliable to us when we need those to fight. When we rely on ways in battle to fight, what others don't have. What we don't rely on, is some battles ending. When we see a real reliable person, they deserve something as reliable as good old reliable Gran Torino. When whom we are and what we did we are a National hero, we rely on that duty to stray us to the right decision. When we rely on fighting for good, that no man, god or angel can't stop us when we are relied upon to end turrany. When we are reliable to take care of what we know what is coming. When we have our ways when those we relied upon, we thank for a lifetime of business, friendship, and a tip. When we rely upon others to take care of things that have been reliable to us, and made us feel at home. When some things that are reliable, we keep hidden and locked up to remain that way. When times have changed, and we are no longer relied upon to fight a war we can't fight, but relied upon to save others by taking a bullet for them to keep them safe. When our wits of combat came in handy when we we finally rely on the institutions to fight the battle against evil. When somethings we wish not to stick around we protect to serve others and be the reliable person to build faith. When others whom are reliable we wish could stick around but his time is up. And those whom are a drain, unreliable we rely on the law to do its job.
When whom we are, what we did, and the people we chosen to be reliable to give the funeral we would have liked based on how you understood him, and know he would like a wise ass joke read at his funeral. When those whom given us a reason to live when all is dead, we were reliable as much as they were reliable to them.
½ June 29, 2016
Somewhat predictable, but a moving story about becoming a man.
June 27, 2016
How can a film be offensive and violent, yet charming and uplifting at the same time? I don't know, but Gran Torino sure pulls it off. Clint Eastwood plays a despicable character, yet you can't help but like him. It shows what a good actor Eastwood is - even if the rest of the cast struggles. I didn't expect to like this movie as much as I did.