Gran Torino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gran Torino Reviews

December 7, 2016
Funny movie from Clint Eastwood, where the protagonist takes his most sarcastic humor from his "Iron Sergeant", but it can be improved. Recommended for nostalgics.
December 5, 2016
this looks reele good!
this looks reele good!
½ December 1, 2016
one of the best Eastwood films ever
November 24, 2016
Clint Eastwood provides an original movie on the social commentary of domestic violence, racial tension, and the religious idea of redemption all with the painted backdrop of the Korean War, Gangs, and the bleakness of the inner city.
November 15, 2016
I started the movie expecting a good movie, but as the film went on I realized that I was watching a masterpiece. Clint Eastwood plays one of the grumpiest, and probably one of my favorite characters of all time. The movie was surprisingly funny, moving, and every dramatic scene worked so well. Eastwood's Gran Torino is one of my favorite movies for sure.
November 13, 2016
Clint Eastwood is great as a grumpy war vet that is struggling to adapt to an ever changing America.
½ October 29, 2016
A great film marred only by the sometimes obvious amateur acting of the boy. This is one movie where Clint Eastwood should have done more takes. Nevertheless, the movie works and the ending seems fitting for Eastwood's character.
October 26, 2016
Horribly acted but friggin hilarious.
October 26, 2016
A surprisingly touching and heart warming film with a very good comedic side to it.
October 10, 2016
Standing strong/ Do you belong/ In your skin/ Just wondering...
½ October 1, 2016
A wonderful movie about life and death, and how our decisions through life can make us slaves of it, the characters of Walt and Thao are great as well as their chemistry, the story is heart felt and the performances top notch.
½ September 28, 2016
What a great and compelling movie Gran Torino is.
It shows brilliantly the dynamics of racism and how it can be overcome.
Terrific performance and direction from Eastwood.
September 28, 2016
I may not agree with his politics but he sure makes good movies. Finally got around to watching Gran Torino and really enjoyed it.
September 25, 2016
You could say that Eastwood plays the same role in every movie, the reason being because nobody else could pull it off with such ease. Just a look and you know somebody gonna need to be lucky.
½ August 30, 2016
A thrilling drama with a great leading turn from Eastwood and a striking foreign supporting cast, the story of Gran Torino is one that everyone should see.
August 23, 2016
Another great Eastwood acting job. Gran Torino had solid characters and a powerful story.
August 22, 2016
Gran Torino is a very good movie, which loses out on the chance to be great due to a surprisingly flat performance by star/director/producer Eastwood. Clint plays Walt Kowalski. an old-school, cuss-mouthed, gun-totin', beer-guzzlin', slur-throwin', scowling, grunting, grumpy, contemptuous Korean War vet and right honorable SOB, coping with the loss of his wife and interacting begrudgingly with the Asian Ethnic enclave that has taken over his neighborhood. For a long while we tag along with Walt as he slowly warms to his "gook" neighbors, particularly cheeky and precocious teenager Sue (Ahney Her in a wonderful performance), and her younger brother Thao, who Walt catches trying to steal his '72 Gran Torino for a local gang. Eventually Walt takes the boy under his wing, but as the boy wises up the threat of retaliation by the thugs he snubbed threatens the whole neighborhood.

Unfortunately for us, Clint plays Walt as a caricature of the man he could be rather than the man himself. For a man with such a ripe and conflicted background he carries no nuance whatsoever, beating the "I'm pissed at the world and I'll say whatever the f%&k I want" drum over, and over, and over. The result is a wonderfully long string of unintentional comedy permeating the first two-thirds of the film. Were Eastwood to follow these laughs and the thus-far pleasant, predictable plot to the end, he would have made an unremarkable but perfectly entertaining film.

Gran Torino aspires to be above that, but by the time it speeds up and turns to a dark, compelling place befitting that aspiration, we're too stuck in the silliness to become engrossed, and when it reaches its poignant and powerful end, I found it hard to be moved.

Depsite the disjuncture, Gran Torino is a strong film, and well worth a watch or two. Had Eastwood breathed a bit more life into his character in the early goings, however, he would have elevated the film to a much higher level.
August 12, 2016
This movie is heart warming and heartbreaking simultaneously. This movie strikes perhaps the most difficult societal issue down with an axe and never misses. The social commentary found in this film is as relevant as it was seven years ago and will likely continue to be for some time to come as gang culture proliferates. Eastwood plays the role of a xenophobic korean war vet absolutely perfectly. His character is so clearly broken, making his redemption deep and impactful.Though the film is not without its flaws, the central message, the motifs of forgiveness, acceptance, and perhaps most importantly, human kinship, carry this film from start to finish. This is an eye-opening film, beautifully directed, and acted by Eastwood and the actual Hmong cast. The story is simply unforgettable. Please watch Gran Torino. It deserves to be seen not only by movie lovers. But humankind as a whole.
August 8, 2016
A perfect movie (aside from some of the side characters' acting)
July 28, 2016
This is a movie that takes on racism without dehumanizing the racist. In the end it wasn't hate, resentment or a self-righteous PC-ism that won they day, but tolerance, acceptance, good will and humor in the face of bigotry. I loved it