Gran Torino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gran Torino Reviews

November 24, 2017
A very well made, well acted film. Very thought provoking. We all know someone like Walt, and we know that while they may say horrible things that they're actually good people who just aren't familiar with people different from them and if only they could know these people they say such awful things about their opinions be wildly different. As I said, a deep profound movie without being overly preachy, movies trying to convey a message like this can be way to heavy handed at time but here they let it play out and feel natural. One of my favorite movies from 2009.
November 9, 2017
Classy movie. With good ac ting, and profound moral subjects for the story.
November 6, 2017
Very interesting and humorous movie. I loved it!
October 31, 2017
/Users/coleanthonymclaren/Desktop/gran torino .docx
the moral lesson is forgiveness
October 10, 2017
Clint Eastwood's best film!
½ October 7, 2017
Eastwood is great as usual as a grumpy racist war veteran with endless hilariously racist quips! The acting by literally everyone else in the movie though is as bad as I've ever seen and the storyline is fairly straightforward/predictable. Even with Eastwoods brilliance I don't know this film has such a high rating as the only good thing about it is Eastwood himself!
September 30, 2017
Clint Eastwood is the best!
½ September 20, 2017
Its clear now that Eastwood is the cowboy behind the camera making seemingly effortless affecting movies. Although this seems to be slipping through the awards season net I have to jump in and say that there is little wrong with this at all and deserves some big attention come awards night. A simple story brilliantly made, with Eastwood landing himself the lead as the veteran who has to become the man he once was a la Unforgiven - maybe he still wants to be that cowboy after all...
September 18, 2017
fantastic film. Good acting.
½ September 18, 2017
This movie is spectacular. Clint Eastwood transmits such a realistic character. No flashback scenes were needed, you could feel Walt's pain. The storyline is simple but powerful. No nudity, but much profanity. Yet, the profanity was perfect to set the mood of the character and time period. There are only a handful of movies that measure up to this one. One of the best I've seen in my life (26 years).
½ September 10, 2017
Gran Torino is a good movie that needs to be constantly re-edited in your head. Walt's (Eastwood) adult children tell us what we need to know about the character in the first scene through wooden dialogue. Sue, a young Hmong woman next door, tells Walt, and the audience, what we need to know about her people's history is a similarly contrived info dump. There's really nothing subtle about how anything is revealed. Less would have been better. But Eastwood's performance and the relationship between Walt and Thao are convincing and sell the story, which is the most important thing. While the setup is a bit hamfisted, the sweeter moments are handled deftly, and are genuine and meaningful. The conclusion also subverts expectations, especially if you see Walt as a retired Dirty Harry and expected an outcome like that movie or A Fistful of Dollars.
September 4, 2017
Great movie. Made me cry! ????????
September 3, 2017
Some filmmakers, no matter what they make, there work will always be terrific, and Clint Eastwood is one of them. So far, I've only seen two movies by him, Unforgiven (1993) and this one, but I can assure you, they're both damn fine. This film makes the list of one of the most thought-provoking movies I've ever seen, it's dramatic, touching, fascinating and certainly entertaining. Really makes me want to see more of Clint Eastwood's movies. Great movie and recommended !!
½ August 28, 2017
Clint Eastwood vs Asians
August 7, 2017
Not bad but the ending is such a disappointment.
August 1, 2017
A great film..
A retired car worker and Korean War vet Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) fills emptiness in his life with beer and home repair,(he is a widower) despising the many Asian, Latino and black families in his neighborhood. Walt becomes a reluctant hero when he stands up to the local thugs
July 2, 2017
Again a great job from Clint Eastwood.
June 18, 2017
O inicio é trôpego, a estorinha demora para nos conquistar mas quando estamos no clímax, buum somos impactados pela ousadia de Nick Schenk com seu roteiro dramático de caráter melancólico. Eastwood tem uma atuação rabugenta de atraente desempenho mas a inexperiência dos outros atores trazem charme e doçura a trama.
½ June 3, 2017
A familiar story from a shallow film that tries so very hard to shout out its emotions and themes.
½ May 14, 2017
This old school, slow-burning drama manages to spin a delicate, quiet, and respectable yarn for its first two-thirds, offering up a slew of complicated characters, solid dramatic intrigue, and several healthy doses of irreverent humor in the process. But what first starts out as a seemingly basic, "going-of-age" mood piece eventually twists beautifully into a searing and poignant ethical study of redemption, sacrifice, and simply doing the right thing. In fact, get this - I actually had the unfortunate pleasure of having this movie's ending spoiled for me before finally seeing it. But, sure enough, even though I knew full well how things were going to come to a close, "Gran Torino's" emotional climax still got me. Right, square in "the feels," as they say. Just another one of the many reasons why Eastwood's eye for crowd-pleasing narratives ranks amongst the keenest in the biz.