Green Book - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Green Book Reviews

February 16, 2019
Wow, what a moving movie. It's sweet, funny, sad, touching, all inside a real story which happened in 1962. Thumbs up for the real Dr. Donald Walbridge Shirley to actually have gone on this concert tour in the black hating southern states of the US, hoping to change racists' hearts, and also thumbs up for the director for having turned this incredible story into a humor laden adventure of two so extremely opposite characters. 140 minutes which easily pass like 30 in other movies. This is one of the very few times when I actually agree with an Oscar nomination. 7 1/2 of 10 points
Fantastic anti-racism movie.
February 16, 2019
My favorite movie in awhile. Loved it.
February 16, 2019
This movie is kinda racist...
February 16, 2019
This film it's very important, it's strong and funny like is sadness see the racism of the world.
½ February 15, 2019
Nothing too fancy, but felt like real people for a change.
February 15, 2019
This is the best movie I have ever seen besides "Gone with Wind". All beautiful elements have been combined together perfectly: history, justice, scenery and culture, jazz and classic music, love and friendship, romantic poems, respects and self-esteem, trust and honesty, humor and wise conversations. Such a warm touching movie with lively rhythm!
February 15, 2019
Deriving the title from the handbook for black motorists seeking "vacation without aggravation", Peter Farrelly delivers a fulfilling comedy about an Italian-American chauffeur bodyguard borrowing a page the book of an African-American renowned pianist and learns civility, dignity and the courage to change stubborn racist perspectives.
February 15, 2019
Fantastic movie. Watch it immediately! Best of the year. Loved the Directing and Writing by Peter Farley. Great acting as well. Laughed alot, teared up some. Perfect pacing, cool camera angles, and great music kept me fully engaged. Loved the Italian Scenes and Food (though it was very hard to see that Food during the 4th day of my water fast). I hope it wins Best Picture.
February 15, 2019
La pelicula es excelente, una historia interesante y muy divertida. Las actuaciones de Mahershala Ali y Viggo Mortensen son formidables.
½ February 15, 2019
A tragic comedy movie concerning "color discrimination" filled up stars like Vigo and Alli.
½ February 15, 2019
this movie is great. just a perfectly tight movie. great story. unlikely freindship. viggo kills it. perfection. tony is a guy with a heart but at the end of the day is the product of his environment. never challenged to be better even though he has that in him. he doesnt want to work with the mob even though they all want him. he doesnt have a problem with homosexuality because he is exposed to it working in the clubs, unlike most people of his time. he is a kind of dumb and pretty racist. But once he spends time with dr shirley he stops being racist. he understands more. he stands up for what he knows to be true. and now the he knows racism is wrong he stands up to it.

Mahershala ali was great as usual, but also as predictable as usual. there is nothing he can do that would surprise me. that being said,the level of genuiness he brings to his characters where i think another stoic type actor would bring is brilliant. its just stoicism for stoicism sake. not in the moments that arent tense. not every moment is tense and stoic. some are happy and stoic or chill and stoic.

great script. great lines. i loved the line "the world is filled with lonely people too afraid to make the first move." incredible line. incredible.
½ February 15, 2019
aanrader we hebben gelachen en genoten!
February 14, 2019
Um filme leve apesar de fala sobre um assunto serio, o racismo, Alem de ser muito engra├žado sem ser chato.
February 14, 2019
Best movie of 2019. Super amazing time travel with the brings us to the reality of not so distant time that still reflects on todayÔ(TM)s racism and cultural shock. Well produced and the picture is amazing.
February 14, 2019
A nice film with lots of heart and two really great performances at it's core.
One thing I liked in this film was how it shown racism across America during that time. In the southern states racism was quite a bit more extreme, but not only the system was discriminatory in New York. The film portrays everyday racism in New York City in a way where all white aren't so racist as to harm people belonging to ethnic minorities, but simply take a minor disliking to them, tend to stray away from chatting with them and have a bit of a superiority complex.
I found this to be one of the most interesting and genuine feeling portrayals of racism in pre-civil rights movement America.
I'm not this was anywhere near a perfect film. It had it's problems, but the script is mostly great and these two great actors bounce of each other so well, and really sell their characters. Someone give Mahershala Ali another oscar.
½ February 14, 2019
Great performances and a good script made this one a very good movie.
½ February 13, 2019
A pleasant film, a feel good movie. Well shot and acted but the plot lacked any edge at all. Whether it was the dialogue failing to explore themes with any depth, such as how Ali's character discovers rick and roll.

Even in what should have been intense and high racial conflict situations the water barely warmed yet alone boiled as the writers avoid the central premise of risk associated with the tour / road trip.

Enjoyable but don't expect to be challenged.
February 13, 2019
Touching. Well acted
February 13, 2019
I honestly wasn't looking forward to this movie because I thought it was just going to be a bunch of super upsetting scenes of super-racist violence. The movie really didn't show much though because frankly, it didn't have to. Everyone knows how minorities were abused in those days, we don't need to see it graphically played out for us to get the message.

The two main characters were really good together, the actors had a ton of chemistry, and the storyline was really powerful while keeping everything pretty light. It was the best new movie I've seen in a few years, which is the only reason I'm bothering to review it. Definitely go see it!