Happy Death Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Happy Death Day Reviews

½ August 19, 2018
Excellent : recommended viewing ; the best film I've seen for at least a year. Essentially a Groundhog Day pastiche, but much slicker and consequentially more interesting.
½ August 17, 2018
I thought it was going to stink just because of the name of it alone!But it ended up being pretty damn good like a cross between groundhog day and the best of the scream movies(if there was one).
½ August 14, 2018
Creative, original and entertaining. Would recommend to watch if you're into slasher/teen/plot twisted movies. The concept also makes the movie kind of comedic. As a PG 13 movie, it's kind of what's accepted from a horror movie. Not too scary or brutal in most ways, but definitely worth watching.
August 12, 2018
Happy Death Day is the first (and so far only) time I went to see a movie on a whim. More so, because I never go to see horror movies in theaters. Along with comedies, horror movies never felt like they were worth a theater going experience. So my going to see Happy Death Day wasn't based on it being a horror movie. It actually first caught my attention when I saw the TV spots for the movie. I took notice of the "time loop" storyline and that at least made me curious. Then I realized that October was going to be a mostly scarce month for movies. I had seen two movies by myself this year already, and they were both disappointments. I needed to see a movie that would redeem the year for me. Happy Death Day has a "time loop," an attractive lead, and plus it was Friday the 13th, so I figured why not. It was a good idea, because Happy Death Day is a lot of fun. Tree (short for Theresa) is your typical selfish college girl who sleeps around and parties. She wakes up on her birthday and lives out her day until she is suddenly killed by a killer in a baby mask. The "time loop" plays out pretty much as you'd expect (a lot like Groundhog Day). With the main character first being confused, then having a break down, then doing whatever they want, and then finally improving their life. The horror element felt like it came in at just the right moments. Though the best thing about the movie is easily Jessica Rothe's performance. Her character is funny, smart, and eventually badass. I definitely wasn't expecting much from this movie. Happy Death Day was a very pleasant surprise.
August 11, 2018
8.11.18 library dvd @ home w/Sh & J
August 2, 2018
Badly acted, not scary, unfunny, slightly boring. It did have some interesting moments, but they are few and far between.
August 2, 2018
Though humorous at times, this is really a bad movie. Very poor acting -- Jessica Rothe simply failed to show appropriate emotions during almost every situation in which she could have made this a more riveting movie. She actually made this unbelievable story even less believable. Not to mention the massive plot holes, like, when Tree Gelbman put a knife to a police officer's throat and then stole his gun and pointed it at him -- the result? Nothing. It didn't even explain how she got away with assaulting a police officer, and this was her final day when she finally survived! I did find it funny at the end when the character Carter Davis pointed out how similar Tree's situation was to Groundhog Day. Sadly, all that did was remind me how much better this movie could have been, as Bill Murray's flick was far and above a much better version of this die and repeat style storyline.
½ July 31, 2018
Happy Death Day is a recent horror/comedy film about a girl called Tree Gelbman (Jessica Rothe) who keeps reliving the same day over and over where at the end of the day she gets murdered by a person wearing a mask.

Most of the films run-time is taken up by Tree trying to find out who the killer is by seeing what every suspect is doing at the time of her murder, which gets her killed, a lot. The film also has a lot of side characters that we see nearly every life and sadly some of them get slightly annoying after the first few times you see them such as Danielle Bouseman (Rachel Matthews) or Ryan Phan (Phi Vu).

But there are certain likable characters Tree or Carter Davis (Israel Broussard), then the rest of the cast are okay. Unsuspectingly the film is quite funny in a lot of scenes especially after Tree realizes she can die lots of times.

The film does go downhill once the comedy stops and it tries to be a serious horror film, succumbing to some of the terrible horror clichés we know and love such as the main character learning how much of a bad person she has been and makes herself a better person.

Another good aspect of the film is the relationship between Tree and Carter even if it is clichéd and cheesy. During the film's first act it gets quite boring as the day repeats nearly exactly the same as the last day.

As I said earlier the films biggest downfalls are certain annoying side characters that are in the film way too much and the fact that when the film tries to be scary or emotional it falls flat.

So after everything I have said about the film I give Happy Death Day a 7/10 for having a cast of good actors and a decent premise but some of them being very annoyingly written and acted, also the films horror moments aren't actually scary except for a cheap jumpscare early in the film.
½ July 28, 2018
FUn twist of groundhog day (instantly had me interested) and was PLEASANTLY happy to RECEIVE lots of dark humour (more so then I thought the trailer made it out to be).

What was actually SURPRISING was Jessica Rothe. At the start I thought she would be your generic "blond girl who get's killed" and was just a tool for the film's idea but actually, she steals the show. In both how she worked well with the dark humour and GENERALLY, just a really LIKEABLE "i don't give a shit", tongue-in-CHEEK character who said and did things that had me jumping out of my seat laughing. Grew to really to like her and her performance is what get's a little extra 1/2 star from me for a solid 3 star film.
July 24, 2018
An inversion of the stereotypical horror movie, it was continually surprising, scary and comedic.
July 22, 2018
The plot had a lot of potential but it ended up being a slasher movies for kids, with all the stupid comedy.
½ July 9, 2018
Scream meets Groundhog Day in the satiric horror film Happy Death Day. Tree Gelbman discovers that she's trapped living the same day over and over again, being killed by a masked stranger, and attempts to break the cycle by finding out who her killer is. Jessica Rothe gives a pretty strong performance and does a good job at subtly changing the character as she goes through the different death cycles. However, the murder mystery isn't really that interesting or well-constructed. In fact, the killer and their motivation seem rather arbitrary. Happy Death Day is a weak slasher film, but it has a fun concept and is entertaining.
July 1, 2018
Predicatable and exactly as expected yet watchable horror.
½ June 19, 2018
A movie that was loose on tone and a distinct feel, that had lackluster twist and surprises that overall felt like a poor attempt of a dark version of Groundhog Day.
June 19, 2018
If GroundHogs Day and Scream had a baby, this would be it.Really funny. I liked it.
June 11, 2018
Surprised by how good this was. Truly horrible character that you kind of want to die (until you inevitably start to understand her, of course). It was funnier than I expected too and not taking itself seriously.
½ June 8, 2018
I accidentally read a spoiler when the movie first came out. I hate when people do that. I knew in the back of my head what was likely going to happen the whole time. That did, in fact, take some of the suspense and mystery out of the experience. I was expecting the twist and wasn't surprised when it came. However, it was still enjoyable, but I do have to take some points off for the times when my mind wandered off. I'm also taking points off for reminding me too much of Groundhog Day-- that whole element of improving one's character and seeing one's flaws throughout the journey. Yes, oh yes, I deduct points for too much swagger jacking.
½ June 6, 2018
This is also a story of how the girl grows. The heroine is so cute
½ June 5, 2018
Groudhog day + The time machine.
May 24, 2018
If I had to live again and again the same day, I preferred it to be a movie. Happy Death Day. It's original and so simple that you do not need many characters like other horror movies.