The Haunted Mansion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Haunted Mansion Reviews

November 14, 2016
I LOVE this movie I really don't care how cheesy. or stupid it is, this movie came out around the time that Ella enchanted came out and this one and that one were my childhood! the soundtracks were my jams! I love how this movie gives the classic ride more of a story! What some people don't seem to understand that THIS IS A DISNEY MOVIE it's made to where parents and kids can enjoy it.
October 31, 2016
Man, this film is frustrating. Not only because of its cringeworthiness but because this has lots of ingredients to be a Halloween classic. This film is obviously based on the Disneyland ride of the same name and captures the spirit of the attraction marvelously. The style and production design of this film are wonderful. The aesthetics of the ghosts, the mansion, and the overall tone is really cool. Here comes the problem. While there are some elements and general story ideas that could make this film a Halloween delight for the whole family, those same ideas are coated around the ridiculous cliche storyline of a father who works too hard to pay attention to his family. Not only has this story been done countless times and was never interesting in the first place, but what in the world is this story about some rich, modern, suburban lawyers and their family trip to the lake have to do with the Haunted Mansion. Speaking of that dull family, they are all played by the dullest of actors. Eddie Murphy is a great actor but you can clearly tell that he is being held back. There were some scenes where he got genuinely angry and actually showed some emotion, but I knew he was trying so hard not to swear and keep it kid-friendly. News Flash Hollywood, don't cast actors in roles that downplay their strengths. Eddie Murphy is a crude, rude, funny jokes, dude. He shouldn't be exploring spooky corridors in a suit. Also, the actress who plays his wife... I think I just witnessed the death of acting on screen. Along with their daughter who literally looks like she isn't phased by anything. A ghost appears in front of her and she looks more bored than the audience does in that scene. Overall, this film's story did have some potential and stuck closely to the source material. The Haunted Mansion is a wonderful looking film that with a different story really could have worked. Eddie Murphy man. This is not the film for you. As for a recommendation, only for die-hard Disneyland fanatics that don't mind some cringeworthy dialogue.
October 24, 2016
The Haunted Mansion is an absolute treat for a spooky family movie night, far better than its overall score and reviews suggest. There is an immersive eerie atmosphere, particularly due to the beautifully gothic mansion set that doesn't look like it was filmed on any sound stage. The light hearted performances by the well cast actors (particularly the the butler Ramsley, the endearing kids, and the ever fun-to-watch Eddie Murphy) and the unexpectedly not-boring haunted plot also contribute to this movie being a highly enjoyable scary but not too scary movie that both kids and parents would enjoy. It's also always wonderful to see a starring family of color, and subversion of gender expectations in the son and daughter characters. Give this spooky movie a chance!
October 18, 2016
"The Haunted Mansion" is the Olive Garden of Disney films: bland and seemingly pointless. You may not die from the experience, but is that really a blessing?
October 10, 2016
Why this movie why this movie has such low ratings I don't understand. It's witty, funny humor that Eddie Murphy gives, and it's meant to be a kids movie. It's not up for an Oscar but it's funny.
½ September 23, 2016
Horror comedy for kiddies with nothing to offer but special effects.
September 1, 2016
This movie is just as dead as the ride when it closes at one of The Disney Parks.
August 7, 2016
Painfully unfunny and too childish for the spooky ride, The Haunted Mansion is a mediocre Disney movie.
August 7, 2016
I personally love this movie despite the terrible reviews, great adaptation of the ride
June 30, 2016
i hope Guillermo Del Toro does it better like he said he was going to do.
½ June 28, 2016
While it does offer some occasional neat visuals and an interesting backstory to the the Mansion itself, along with its ghostly hosts, this film is really nothing more than a major disappointment.
May 12, 2016
It was ok. Laughed a couple times and the movie had more of a plot then I was expecting for a kids movie.
May 7, 2016
Used to be my favorite movie a few years ago. It's funny, and age appropriate, not cheesy like a lot of kid haunted movies. Great for all ages and a movie that you can keep on watching.
April 10, 2016
A fun family film. Not the best you will see, but doesn't deserve the critics slating.
½ March 6, 2016
It's awful how they made a classic Disney ride into an unbearable movie.
½ February 25, 2016
The Haunted Mansion is a mixed bag, as its fun for kids but it feels like a really lazy attempt at a comedy for any other ages.
jamrcla
½ February 25, 2016
Not really what I'd watch but had some good bits, One for the kids.
January 31, 2016
The ride is better than this...
½ January 21, 2016
This film has to be first, this film was based on the back story of a successful Ride at Disneyland Haunted Mansion, & the design of the film was based on the ride also.

Although a little silly & predictable it's a relatively interesting film that juggles comedy & scary quite well especially for a Disney Film.

As the film progresses there are quite a few spooky scenes but it's goes hard for the Happily Ever After in the final quarter. The visual effects are quite good for a film in 2003.
January 14, 2016
I like Eddie Murphy, I honestly think almost every movie he's in is funny. But this one just doesn't seem to match up to par.