The Haunted Mansion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Haunted Mansion Reviews

November 10, 2017
I found this to be a real sleeper. Excellent movie for grade school kids (and adults) with fast moving action and great visuals.
November 9, 2017
An average family friendly movie. If Disney did not create this nobody would watch this by the numbers safe scary movie.
October 27, 2017
Trust me folks, The ride is better then this lifeless film. Not even close to being scary or funny. Eddie Murphy has had better movies and personally I think this is one of his most forgotten performances. It's predictable, cringe worthy from start to finish and cast looks bored and not taking the roles seriously enough.
October 26, 2017
It was awesome. Not scary.
½ October 21, 2017
Some funny moments, and the singing busts were great. An ok family movie.
½ October 20, 2017
Atmospheric and campy, this movie is a fun adventure more in the vein of Hocus Pocus or even the Mummy than an out and out horror movie. It's certainly not a masterpiece, but I find it endlessly rewatch-able and at times genuinely scary.
August 16, 2017
I loved it ever since I was a kid, I disagree I think its hilarious. Not scary but it's meant for kids what do you expect. ??
July 29, 2017
This is my favorite movie. My favorite character is Ramsley.
BEST MOVIE EVER!!
½ July 27, 2017
So here's a list of problems with this movie:
1. Eddie Murphy is the main star
7. A "Getting Jiggy" reference in 2003
8. Pointless references to the ride
9. Crappy ending
½ June 23, 2017
Welcome Foolish Mortals, to the Haunted Mansion >:)
½ June 19, 2017
The visuals can be kind of fun, in fact it can almost be worth it, but even they still look familiar from other house based horror movies. Heck, even the effects are not that spectacular. Overall this feels like a giant waste of many missed opportunities.
May 4, 2017
It has its moments, but not very many.
April 21, 2017
10/18/2015: Meh. There were a few funny moments, but that was about it. Pretty disappointing considering the pretty decent cast.
February 26, 2017
This is such a fun movie
November 14, 2016
I LOVE this movie I really don't care how cheesy. or stupid it is, this movie came out around the time that Ella enchanted came out and this one and that one were my childhood! the soundtracks were my jams! I love how this movie gives the classic ride more of a story! What some people don't seem to understand that THIS IS A DISNEY MOVIE it's made to where parents and kids can enjoy it.
October 31, 2016
Man, this film is frustrating. Not only because of its cringeworthiness but because this has lots of ingredients to be a Halloween classic. This film is obviously based on the Disneyland ride of the same name and captures the spirit of the attraction marvelously. The style and production design of this film are wonderful. The aesthetics of the ghosts, the mansion, and the overall tone is really cool. Here comes the problem. While there are some elements and general story ideas that could make this film a Halloween delight for the whole family, those same ideas are coated around the ridiculous cliche storyline of a father who works too hard to pay attention to his family. Not only has this story been done countless times and was never interesting in the first place, but what in the world is this story about some rich, modern, suburban lawyers and their family trip to the lake have to do with the Haunted Mansion. Speaking of that dull family, they are all played by the dullest of actors. Eddie Murphy is a great actor but you can clearly tell that he is being held back. There were some scenes where he got genuinely angry and actually showed some emotion, but I knew he was trying so hard not to swear and keep it kid-friendly. News Flash Hollywood, don't cast actors in roles that downplay their strengths. Eddie Murphy is a crude, rude, funny jokes, dude. He shouldn't be exploring spooky corridors in a suit. Also, the actress who plays his wife... I think I just witnessed the death of acting on screen. Along with their daughter who literally looks like she isn't phased by anything. A ghost appears in front of her and she looks more bored than the audience does in that scene. Overall, this film's story did have some potential and stuck closely to the source material. The Haunted Mansion is a wonderful looking film that with a different story really could have worked. Eddie Murphy man. This is not the film for you. As for a recommendation, only for die-hard Disneyland fanatics that don't mind some cringeworthy dialogue.
October 24, 2016
The Haunted Mansion is an absolute treat for a spooky family movie night, far better than its overall score and reviews suggest. There is an immersive eerie atmosphere, particularly due to the beautifully gothic mansion set that doesn't look like it was filmed on any sound stage. The light hearted performances by the well cast actors (particularly the the butler Ramsley, the endearing kids, and the ever fun-to-watch Eddie Murphy) and the unexpectedly not-boring haunted plot also contribute to this movie being a highly enjoyable scary but not too scary movie that both kids and parents would enjoy. It's also always wonderful to see a starring family of color, and subversion of gender expectations in the son and daughter characters. Give this spooky movie a chance!
October 18, 2016
"The Haunted Mansion" is the Olive Garden of Disney films: bland and seemingly pointless. You may not die from the experience, but is that really a blessing?
October 10, 2016
Why this movie why this movie has such low ratings I don't understand. It's witty, funny humor that Eddie Murphy gives, and it's meant to be a kids movie. It's not up for an Oscar but it's funny.
½ September 23, 2016
Horror comedy for kiddies with nothing to offer but special effects.