Neil Young: Heart of Gold - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Neil Young: Heart of Gold Reviews

June 14, 2017
If not for rust never sleeps, this would be my favorite concert of his.
Beautifully shot and staged, this is Neil proving that he can do the "down home" sound along with the best.
It improved the prairie wind album, which I didn't really care about before hand; as well as the deep cuts and classics that the 2nd set excellently purveyed.
A must watch for even casual Neil fans.
½ April 10, 2014
Neil Young's music and persona may be an acquired taste; but well worth the effort. This is the mellow Neil Young; not the Rockin' in the USA version. His music and band maintain their affectionate quality like worn leather. Jonathan Demme has a gift for capturing the musicians, the flavor, and the aura. Enjoy it!
October 24, 2013
There was nothing like seeing this in theatres and it still holds up.
July 11, 2013
I'm not too big on Neil Young's more modern stuff and wasn't too familiar with Prairie Wind but this concert was pretty good.
cosmo313
May 2, 2013
In 2005, lauded musician Neil Young was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm. After getting this news, he wrote and recorded Prairie Wind- an album of ten sweet and folksy, but rough-hewn country rock songs that are both reflective on the past, but also look into the future. Shortly before he went in for surgery to correct the brain aneurysm, Young and his band, along with special guest Emmylou Harris, played a pair of concerts at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee- the original home of the Grand Ole Opery. The concerts featured the Praire Wind album in its entirety, along with an encore set of older songs that had been previously recorded in Nashville.

Filmmaker Jonathan Demme was there to document this event on camera, and this film, is the resulting compilation of the major highlights. It's very folksy, reflective, and full of sentimentality. Only one song features an electric guitar, but there's still a great deal of heart, soul, and hope to be found here.

Peppered with some of Neil's dry humor and a few interviews at the beginning, this is an elegantly simple concert film that is quite enjoyable and really comforting. The great thing about Neil is that he's always been great at performing both folksy acoustic music and raw electric jams with great skill. All of what's featured here is the former, but, even though I tend to prefer his more 'grungy' electric stuff, sometimes nothing beats the lighter stuff.

All of the musicians are at the top of their game, the Prairie Wind album is pretty decent, and the songs for the 'classics' set are well chosen, and have a few of my favorites like "Heart of Gold", "Harvest Moon", and "The Needle and the Damage Done", so that makes me happy.

If you're a fan, you definitely dig it. If you're not a die hard, you might find it to be decent, and if you're a newcomer, this might not be the best place to start, but it probably couldn't hurt, either.
December 27, 2012
Im not interested in the storyline.
December 21, 2012
This will warm your soul. And make you buy more Neil Young records!
December 7, 2012
Neil Young : Heart of Gold" is filmmaker Jonathan Demme's intimate musical portrait of legendary singer/songwriter Neil Young.
½ November 11, 2012
Give it extra stars if you're a Neil Young fan.
½ June 10, 2012
If this concert was based on another Young album like 'Harvest,' 'Tonight's the Night,' or 'After the Goldrush,' it would be an easy 5/5.
½ March 4, 2012
Niel young! Tell me how to vote and think! please!
January 30, 2012
A fitting tribute to a great and still underappreciated artist. Demme succeeds where Young fails in his later Trunk Show film. Well rounded film that lets the music do the talking and what a story it tells.
December 4, 2011
Excelente filme-concerto que documenta um concerto muito especial de Neil Young num grande auditório de Nashville. A escolha da sala não podia ter sido mais acertada para a apresentação de "Prairie Wind", um disco tão assumidamente country-rock quanto a própria Nashville, ao que parece. E ficam assim reunidas as condições ideais para verificar como Neil Young (C) um dos mais impressionantes int (C)rpretes dos nossos tempos. As canções de "Prairie Wind" não serão as melhores do cânone, mas aqui ganham vida com os pain (C)is temáticos na parte de trás do palco e com uma grande família de músicos empenhadíssimos em canções sobre a família, precisamente. Tudo gira à volta de Neil Young e todos parecem extremamente satisfeitos por partilhar o palco com o homem e fazer parte da vida dele (o mesmo não deve acontecer com o Van Morrison). O realizador Jonathan Demme anda um pouco pelas ruas da amargura, mas aqui redime-se com o primeiro capítulo numa trilogia dedicada a Neil Young (o segundo, "The Trunk Show", ainda não vi e o terceiro está ainda por lançar). Ficou só a faltar um (C)pico como "Cowgirl in the sand" ou "Cortez" para ser perfeito. Mesmo assim, "Old King" (*ver em baixo) (a mais bonita canção sobre um cão?), "The Needle and the damage done" e as pequenas explicações de Neil Young antes de alguns temas são todos pontos altos de um filme essencial para fãs.
½ February 26, 2011
This is a five star film that records the live premier of the four star album "Prairie Wind" at Nashville's Ryman auditorium. There is something very special about the humanity in Neil Young's material and it's wonderfully and heartwarmingly on display here. It's an aptly named film as Neil's patter between songs telling us about his late father (to whom the film is dedicated), his daughter and the people who inspired some of his classic songs, reveal that Neil Young really does have a heart of gold. The band are first class musicians, the playing is note perfect and after the entire "Prairie Wind" album is played out we get treated to a collection of Young's older material, stretching all the way back to his first album, though most non-"Prairie" songs are from "Harvest Moon." I recently received a text with the message "Neil Young is dead!" Turned out it was a different Neil Young. When that day does come the world will lose one of the greatest and most prolific artists of the era. Till then Neil, long may you run.
½ February 5, 2011
Neil Young at his best with some of the best pickers ever. Incredible steel guitar!
Tecnoandre
December 18, 2010
Documentary and concert film by Jonathan Demme, featuring Neil Young. The film was made in the summer of 2005 in Nashville, Tennessee, premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, and was released to theaters on February 10, 2006. The film documents Young's premiere of his songs from his album Prairie Wind at the Ryman Auditorium.
Great concert, great movie.
Great music.
December 17, 2010
When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
When we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart.
½ November 20, 2010
Well, I don't have much time for concert films... and I absolutely loathe country music... but this was alright, I guess. Really well shot, and Demme lets the direction match the tone and pace of the music, which might seem elementary, but there's some real thought in there. Other than that, though... it is what it is.
September 11, 2010
Great concert dvd for a great musician. good sound and loaded with extras.
May 8, 2010
Pretty touching and moving. Love "It's a Dream"