Hellraiser - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hellraiser Reviews

August 21, 2016
A cult 80s horror movie. Its story is pretty disturbing and well executed with graphic special effects and gore.
August 20, 2016
Gory, strange, and required watching for any horror movie fan. This movie does not hold up after all this time so maybe an updated remake is called for...
½ August 16, 2016
Hellraiser is one hell of a unique horror film! It's not the most horrific movie you'll ever see, but even for today's standards this film has it's charm.
August 7, 2016
Another 80s horror classic ruined by many half-assed sequels. "Hellraiser" has an excellent concept and offers plenty of gore. Everything from the atmosphere, script, and characters are great. The story is disturbing and unpredictable. Some of the special-effects are cheesy but that is not surprising considering the time the film was made. If only Clive Barker could have directed some of the sequels.
July 27, 2016
1931's Dracula Is One Of My Favorite Films.
July 26, 2016
What's your pleasure sir?
July 21, 2016
160721: This flawed film still has some capacity to entertain but if you enjoyed Hellraiser when it came out, you might be better served with your memories. The special effects seem dated and much of the fear factor has been lost. I imagine if you watch it with surround sound, and on a larger screen, you may be able to recreate some of the nostalgia you once felt but trust me, much of the impact has been lost. Hellraiser, and the Cenobites, still holds a place in my heart however.
July 17, 2016
It's bold for its time, but not worth the watch today. I wouldn't entirely dismiss checking out the remake, if and when it is completed.
July 11, 2016
It's heavy and mood and atmosphere, with also a creepy ghoul story and some of the best special effects of the 80's. And especially, the best gore effects of Britain ever! For a modestly budgeted movie, this is really a well made masterpiece of horror gore, with memorable characters, and vilains too. And the memorable Pinhead, he' definitly an iconic horror movie vilain, but for some reason, never got much attention. Anyways, disturbing and classic horror movie, recommended !!
June 12, 2016
Even before the dimensions of Hell were opening up to swallow those who inadvertently opened them, there is a different kind of Hellish atmosphere permeating the scene. The family dynamics is distorted against the expectations, true values are rejected as a mere illusion while perversions are endorsed as the ultimate truth. And that is only the first few developing scenes of the movie. Then come the real demons...
Clive Barker's debut on screen presents an complicated tangle of psychological and supernatural horror that is as fun to watch now as when it first came out, despite the visual effects that may be found lacking based on modern standards for graphics.
June 1, 2016
Both awful and brilliant at the same time. The acting is bad...very very bad. But the story line itself, and the concepts were amazing. TO think that solving a puzzle box can open gateways to Hell where you experience the utmost in pain and pleasure. But there is no escape. Frank did and thus begins a bloody tale.

The only thing that doesn't make any sense was the bum (or is it bone dragon) at the end. That was rather silly.

As I said, amazing concept, just poorly executed. Maybe in its day it was great.
½ May 4, 2016
Concept was interesting...but I don't know if the movie will grow on me as far as being a horror classic.
April 22, 2016
Clive Barker creates an ultimate masterpiece of pure horror
April 16, 2016
one of the coolest and original horror movies ever
½ April 15, 2016
Too outdated to be scary, but I did appreciate the practical effects. The cenobite in the sun glasses cracked me up every time it was on screen.
½ March 2, 2016
Clive Barker has a real talent for coming up with shit that's confusing but that you can't take your eyes off. It's not a great movie, but at no point do you want to stop watching it, and there's great visceral things in it, fun practical effects, etc. The kind of movie that images of which will stick in your head forever, and the story is far secondary to that. I'm very impressed with something being watchable even though it's quite incoherent. That's a really tough line to ride and this movie rides it well, and that's what makes it a classic.
February 28, 2016
As far as 80's Horror movies go, this one is one of my favorites! It is gory, but it also has quite an engaging story. If you don't like horror, I would say skip it. If you DO like horror and have never seen this before, I recommend it for sure!
February 10, 2016
This is a classic that evey horror fans should watch!
February 6, 2016
Horror that makes you cringe is few and far between. Pre gorography that gives you shudders.