Hidden Figures - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hidden Figures Reviews

June 4, 2018
I was forced to watch it in 1st period in math I hate this a math related movie really I'm more mad at my teacher I wish I could rate my teacher movie is actually really good
½ June 1, 2018
An inspiring story not aspiring for originality, Hidden Figures forgoes new math for simple arithmetic, boasting a different kind of edginess just in telling a tale of marginalized trailblazers that needs to be told and seen. This is not to say that such storytelling is easy work, however. For a teaching moment to be this heartwarming, entertaining, and rousing, it takes a very intelligent design and the true beauty of the film comes down to how the whole production explains a complex problem involving segregation and empowerment with such a single, satisfying solution. This PG-rated drama presents the story of a team of female African-American mathematicians (Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae) who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program.

Certainly, the true events on which Hidden Figures is based didn't unfold so breezily in real life and the actual hidden figures themselves didn't enjoy such a breezy journey. This is a film meant to fuel the soul of all filmgoers, however, especially women and people of color. Its intent is to raise the spirits--not look back in abject anger. This is why their story has been re-purposed as a crowd-pleaser. With a PG rating, it is meant to be accessible. If it encourages action as well, this is only a good thing. But Hidden Figures's main purpose is to inform, honor, and celebrate, which the film does with great dignity and grace.

Adapted from the book by Margot Lee Shetterly, Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi's screenplay provides the perfect template for this successful rendering. The casting only sweetens the pot. Spectacular turns by veterans Henson and Spencer as well as relative newcomer Monae (a breakout role, to be sure) drive the strong narrative. The great supporting performances of Kevin Costner, Jim Parson, and Mahershala Ali likewise deserve mention but this is definitely the ladies' show. As director, Melfi has pulled off a ridiculously impressive feat. Not only does Joan Q. Filmgoer learn about some criminally overlooked figures from American history, but she feels pretty damn good about doing so.

To Sum It Up: All Plusses, No Minuses
½ May 23, 2018
Hidden Figures is a 2016 American biographical drama film directed by Theodore Melfi.
This biographical drama, based on a true story, weaves together a romance, white/black relations, and science. I wasn't sure how successfully it managed to achieve a balance between all three of these elements, and how accurate the depictions and sentiments were. Nonetheless this is an entertaining and informative film, and I especially enjoyed its retro feel.
AAN
May 22, 2018
A brillantly written and amazing story with very solid acting. Everyting is spot on, the rythm, the soundtrack, the acting, the storytelling, the camera. And being it based on a true story it makes it even more surprising. A must see.
May 19, 2018
I cannot recommend this film enough. Inspiring! The scenes that will make you wonder how America was so deeply and openly segregated that it makes you want to scream will be overshadowed by the strength, wit and stick-to-it-iveness of these REMARKABLE women who paved the way for so many more. Five stars is simply not enough. This should be viewed by kids in public schools!
May 13, 2018
Cautivadora y implacable,este film muestra el esfuerzo de tres mujeres de color por dejar su huella en la historia de la Nasa,una cinematografía increíble actuaciones impecables,su punto mas débil es el desarrollo de una de las protagonistas.
May 1, 2018
Heartwarming yet politically important.
½ April 27, 2018
Wow oh wow! Do yourself a favor and watch this!
½ April 24, 2018
What is hidden is always something to figure out. A movie in the name of equity and humanity.
April 21, 2018
One of my favorite movies!
½ April 4, 2018
As they probably say in NASA, if you don't reach for the stars, you won't get off the ground. And boy, that is true for movies too!
HIDDEN FIGURES
In the light of the recent Oscar nominations I've started my yearly goal of watching every single full-feature film fiction before the ceremony. The last two years I've been successful at this task and I figure this time it will be no different. To keep you updated in my task, I'll post reviews in almost every film nominated this year, including films I've seen quite a while ago and that I didn't have time to write a review about. Shifting now my attention to the movie in cause, I have to say that, from the movies nominated, this seems like one of the weaker offers. Despite rating Deadpool just a little higher, I'd be quicker to nominate it for Best Picture first (same with Civil War, Silence, Zootopia, etc.). Despite this, I get why this was nominated as it's almost an obligation to the Academy to nominate films that perpetuate anti-racist messages, especially under the new president. You have to understand that a film's right to be nominated for best picture isn't based solely on the quality of it. With a Best Picture nom often comes a lot of visibility to the film and, consequently, to the matter in question. That's why many studios spend some under the table money to get their features nominated, as they know they'll make back that amount and way more. So, there's a social conscience rescuing this movie from falling flat and from being goldless. In fact, this movie's success pivots around the plot and makes me think why haven't I heard this story sooner. It's an excellent story revolving around a smart script that matches it. The performances are all solid but I was expecting them to be better. Octavia Spencer gives one good performance but a quite manageable too, judging from most of her filmography. I find that she didn't quite deserve her nomination and many performers could have had her spot, though it's amusing to see Viola and Spencer nominated again, the former winning this time around. It also has a strong supporting cast, with Jim Parsons, Kevin Kostner and, especially, Kristen Dunst. However, there's something too neat about the film's directing, editing and cinematography. The director doesn't take many chances, he shoots a scene like any other person would and in this case I don't mind it so much, but it leaves edginess to be desired, that extra excitement that should come from watching a movie for the first time. Ultimately, it's a very good movie that would have been better if it hadn't relied so much on its release date and important plot. It's one of those movies that you should see as a citizen of the world, not much as a cinephile.. .
March 25, 2018
I found this a very inspirational movie and I am glad I learned that these three African American woman where so important contributors to the Space program/
½ March 25, 2018
Wondeful moves - but is it based on a historical farce
March 24, 2018
Wonderful movie! Eye opening for me! All three ladies should be awarded!
March 22, 2018
Such a great movie. These women are amazing and it's wonderful to see their story in such a powerful film. It instantly become one of my favorites.
March 18, 2018
Hidden Figures is the true story of the women behind the space program in 1961. The three women face issues besides the math behind the launch, they face segregation and sexism. This movie was a successful attempt to inspire women and those of color. Trying to encourage them to break through stereotypes and do what you must even if it is difficult. Besides inspiring, this movie wanted to bring the stories of the quiet heroes to light. The director and writers did just that. They showed the struggles these women faced for their country.
One way that "Hidden Figures" tried to inspire was by inspiring women and young girls to go for a career in math and science. In the movie not only did the three main women have to face and get through the racism that was still present but they had to face sexism that was still just as much of an issue. It was believed that women aren't as smart as men and that they were meant to just raise a family, clean, and cook. Hidden Figures shows girls that a career in such field as math or science is possible and that they can make a difference. Actor Aldis Hodge said "I love the fact that a lot of these girls are now getting support for their interest.", though his role in the movie that quite small he still gets to witness the difference this film is making. The screenwriters even snuck a little hint towards inspiring women in these careers into the dialogue. The character Karl Zielinski says "a person with an engineer's mind should be an engineer." this was towards a black female character, Mary Jackson, who was struggling following her dreams.
If it wasn't for this movie then the stories of these women probably would be unknown to all. If some people did know of them before the movie that's amazing but it just isn't enough. These women did extraordinary work and made huge breakthroughs in history. Honestly if it wasn't for their hard work and calculations the space launch could have failed or even been delayed. The directors found it important to show what they did to the world using the big screen and by adding slight humor to it. Obviously the movie isn't exactly accurate but it still accomplishing showing the work of these women. Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Dorothy Vaughan are all now recognizable names.
Although this movie added humor and made it a nice family film, the subtle racism and sexism behind are made apparent to adults or older people. When irritated the character Mary Jackson says "Every time we get a chance to get ahead they move the finish line." this really shows how much harder they had to work just to do what a white man could have done in half the time it takes the black women. It shows just how strong and brave they are because they still tried and never let anybody stop them. Knowing the struggles they had to go through while just doing their job and trying to help their country makes it even more amazing.
This movie is just as important as it is entertaining. The writers accomplished a lot by making it funny and cute while still addressing the problems they faced. Everybody who worked on this movie hopes that it will, inspire, bring the hidden stories to light, and show the struggles these girls had to face. It's important to know these things so we can have an appreciation for the hidden heroes. Which sometimes are the most important ones. Some would say it's the perfect movie, entertaining for all ages, has an important message, and funny.
March 12, 2018
Most of this country's history - like most Hollywood movies - has been written by white men. 'Hidden Figures' is a great reminder of the unsung African-American women who contributed to all our accomplishments.
March 9, 2018
Everyone should see this movie. Schools should show this movie. Basically, this is a fantastic movie.

Why are you still reading this? Go watch it!

Well acted, well written, with interesting characters and a great pace.
March 9, 2018
So, this movie was pretty great. However, I truly feel that movies talking about racism in the 1960's are often whitewashed in that they downplay a LOT of what black people went through or just don't show a lot of it. The irony that this movie was directed by a white man wasn't lost on me, either.