Hidden Figures - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hidden Figures Reviews

March 27, 2017
Beautiful story of strong women during difficult times. Loved it cant wait to rent it!
March 27, 2017
Powerful, beautiful, and well acted. What else is there to say? The plot was moving and it was brilliantly brought to life by everyone involved. Excellent!!
March 26, 2017
Great movie to see with a older kid! Definetly is something that you want to learn more about!
March 26, 2017
Incredible movie, incredible ladies. Why are we just hearing about them now. SMH. Casting was perfect. Seeing the real ladies at the end was icing on the cake!! So glad they were given recognition. It was chilling to see how life was not that long ago. Thank goodness things have changed for the better! It made you really sad about how people were treated but it was a good reminder.
½ March 26, 2017
Fantastic film!! I laughed and cried! I know it's a great movie great when I get to do both!!
March 26, 2017
Warm and witty performances by Spencer, Henson and Monae, the stoic moral stature Costner plays and unlikable-until-they're-reasonable turns by Dunst and Parsons make Hidden Figures a winner, a piece of unknown history rendered flesh and blood funny, uplifting and never less than entertaining. As Melfi proved in his previous film, St Vincent, he's good with actors and is a competent storyteller, but he can't resist underlining things that are already obvious. At a time when calls for diverse media dominate the industry, Hidden Figures hedges its bets with a family-friendly commercial solution: warm and fuzzy storytelling that's both progressive and safe. For all of its current touchstones, Hidden Figures feels far too late, both in the recognition these women deserve and the filmmakers' goodhearted but dull approach to their stories. Hidden Figures is an earnest movie, but not a very exciting one. The screenplay feels as engineered as a Gemini rocket launch, with every scene and line carefully calculated. The film aims for the stars but might have gone stratospheric if it cooled its jets ever so slightly. Hidden Figures is engaging, entertaining and enlightening -- but by playing fast and loose with historical fact, it risks blunting some of the story's eye-opening emotional force.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
March 26, 2017
The last movie that moved me this much was Saving Private Ryan. That's saying something. A triumph over multiple types of prejudice. Easily the best movie I've seen in a long time.
March 26, 2017
Based on a true story, Hidden Figures relates the highly improbable lives of three black women achieving success while working for NASA when racial and gender discrimination in America was still pervasive. Equally inspiring and empowering, it manages to endear us to their struggles while on their journey of self discovery and identity. The movie was a delight to watch from beginning to end.
March 25, 2017
Amazing script ( actually real life story), great acting, this one will go down as a classic.
½ March 25, 2017
Can't remember a recent time when I enjoyed a film based on a true story as well. Hats off to the acting team that pulled this together. It was an exhilarating, yet painful look back at an overlooked undertold story.
March 25, 2017
Wonderful movie, great cast!!!! ??????????
A very loveable film. Go girls, go! <3
March 25, 2017
Perfect films don't exist. They never have, and they never will. Though perfect scores are given out nonetheless.

True stories (biographies) are my favourite genre. To me, they can get as close to perfection as possible. A well-made biopic has the power to shake us to our very core.

Hidden Figures proves this beyond the shadow of a doubt. The story of three African-American women, fighting racism, who, against all odds believe in themselves and make their country proud.

While telling their story, the film also tackles the issues of gender inequality and racism. Inequality between men and women in general and apartheid between the whites and colored. It seemed like being a black woman in 19th Century America was the worst life you could possibly have.

This disparity was clearly seen in general public as well as within their space organization NASA. The film also understands that it wants to tell the story of these three women and not the story of racism in America at period of time. So, it never gets too preachy or deviates itself from the subject matter. Hitting all the right notes along the way.

Taraji P. Henson (as Katherine Johnson), Janelle MonŠe (as Mary Jackson) and Octavia Spencer (as Dorothy Vaughn) were outstanding. A special mention to Mahershala Alia (Colonel Jim Johnson) and my boy Jim Parsons (Paul Stafford) for their side roles. And Kevin Costner (Al Harrison) who gets some of the best lines.

The directing, editing, visuals, cinematography & set pieces were on-point.

As for issues, I think they should have dumbed it down a bit. It gets far too technical and mathematical, diving into analytical geometry and whatnot. Also the film doesn't have much re-watching value to it. I don't see myself watching it alone all by myself again. There are no action scenes or plot twists. Just a simple story told in a passionate way.

Maybe I'm nitpicking here. Gather round with your family and watch this if you can. It is well worth your time. You won't be disappointed.

5/5 Stars.
March 25, 2017
An amazing Movie and learning experience. A must watch for everyone to see.
½ March 25, 2017
An absolutely fantastic cast (even Kevin Costner was decent!) bringing to life and teaching us a part of our history that so many people did not know. I hope we can continue to shine bright lights on the smart, beautiful, and inspiring women and men that have been shoved to the back simply because of race. I highly recommend this to be watched with your children because they will be the ones to keep these stories alive.
Good movie great movie!!
March 25, 2017
Wow great movie ... and even more amazing because it tells the true story of these amazing trailblazing women! It came out of nowhere and I was blown away! We need more stories like this told as I know there's many more it there that should be told.
March 24, 2017
Good but don't understand the hype on it.
½ March 24, 2017
Insightful, unique point of view. Unheard-of story
March 24, 2017