Hidden Figures - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hidden Figures Reviews

February 12, 2018
Brilliant film, watched it 5 times. Great music.
February 6, 2018
A must-see movie, if you like movies.
½ February 1, 2018
Not bad...pretty inspiring for young folks. I did get a little bit of the "White Saviour" feeling with this film though.
½ January 30, 2018
An important story told. I look forward to reading more about these great women and their contributions to NASA.
January 26, 2018
Taraji's part moved me
½ January 25, 2018
An absorbing account of the long unsung story of the three strong and brilliant black women without whom the NASA space program would not have been as successful as it was in the early days of American space exploration. This film is beautifully done--directed and acted by a wonderful cast with great production-screenplay and cinematography. A not-to-b- missed movie. My question is why their story hasn't been told before?
January 24, 2018
This movie is a definite 5 star you'll get laughs but also feel inside the struggles for black woman in the 1960's.
½ January 23, 2018
I felt that this movie was incredibly inspirational and forward thinking, and really enjoyed finding out the story of these three women that contributed so much to our space industry. I could have done without how Hallmark Channel that they made it at times, though.

These are three very important black women in American History as well as the Space Program. I sort of wish that they would have focused more on that than their personal lives. However, now that I know this I am going to be looking for a documentary about them.
January 23, 2018
This was a very interesting movie about 3 hero black women who were the computers for NASA before there was computers. Excellent!
January 23, 2018
So touching and very inspiring
January 23, 2018
I admit, I am a sucker for stories about nerds. This film opens with a young girl showing such aptitude for mathematics, she is allowed to go to an advanced preparatory school early. I. Am. In.

It's so easy to say this movie is about one thing. You could say it is about the struggle African-Amercians had to get recognized in the '60s. Perhaps it is about NASA trying desperately to catch up the the Soviet space program. Or maybe it's about the under-representation of women in fields such as science and engineering (hang on, isn't that still the case?) The truth is, the film juggles a lot of issues deftly, without sacrificing the impact of any single point.

This film boasts an excellent cast, championed by Taraji P. Henson. She shows so many aspects of Katherine Johnson, and elevates everyone she is in a scene with. Octavia Spencer is always fun to watch, and she brings he A-game here. Janelle Monae rounds out our three leads, and provides a great foil for them. Other standout performances include Kevin Costner and Jim Parsons.

Some of the directing choices were not my thing (the use of historical footage was a bit to intercut), and there were aspects that I wasn't as into as the math, computing, and literal rocket science parts of the movie, but I cannot deny how well-put-together this package is.
January 20, 2018
A great film, which is both inspirational and embarrassing. I found it difficult to watch at times in the way black people were treated, and had to think is this for real. Reality hit home when I realised it was. However the overall feel of the film is inspiration as the three black women get to the top of their game, in an otherwise white male dominated world.
January 17, 2018
This film is a masterpiece on almost every front. The acting is phenomenal from the entire main cast. The writing was spectacular; they didn't turn anyone into a cliché which would've been so easy. They didn't rely on sassy lines like so many movies like this would do, they wrote real people with real problems and made them so likeable. They made me care about math. They made a 2 hour movie about three women working out how to land a rocket using math into something you couldn't look away from. The score was really well done, it wasn't too on the nose and felt like it fit with the movie which was so very beautifully shot, some of the shots were just incredible to behold. It's a truly great film.
January 14, 2018
No words to describe how brilliant in every aspect of a movie !
January 13, 2018
It's a 2 hour film, but it took me over 4 hours to watch it because I kept having to take sanity breaks.
I was overwhelmed by a virtual avalanche of inaccuracies (factual, historical, scientific), distortions and "Hollywood moments" which all rang so false in the face of historical knowledge, and in many cases, common sense, that I would have to periodically walk away and calm down. And do some research to check some details - love the Internet.

Yes, I know the film is not a documentary, I know that there is such a thing as dramatic licence and artistic licence and so forth, but - Holy Fuck - this was not, as advertised, a "dramatic biopic"; it was fairytale. The impact was doubled by the hideous dumbing-down of everything. Everything was a caricature. There are no real, 3-D people in this film. There are only goodies and baddies. The goodies are always right, and the baddies are always wrong. In fact, some of the goodies have magical powers and do things that are ridiculous and impossible - sort of the cerebral equivalent of action heroes in a Chuck Norris film, I suppose. There are 2 speaking part baddies who get redemption at the end of the film by seeing the error of their ways and finally behaving nicely. Ta-dah! Redemption level achieved. Lesson learned. Example set. Didn't see that coming, did you?

The central theme is that both black people ("coloreds") and women were treated unequally at the time in the US, and the film lays this on with a trowel. And then a shovel. And then a series of dump trucks. OK, the film-maker is entitled to emphasis his point, and these things were true in many aspects of everyday life, and this would be a fair enough take, except for one important thing. The average viewer would come away thinking that racial segregation was endemic at NASA, which is actually the opposite of the truth. NASA was a federally-mandated equal opportunity employer (one of the first), and in fact, set up by Johnson that way to provide opportunities for education, employment and advancement for blacks. Yes, there was one "Colored Women's Bathroom" (left over from the old NACA days), but it wasn't 1/2 a mile away, and the sign wasn't dramatically knocked down with a tyre iron in front of a breathless audience by the head of NASA (or Kevin Costner). As usual, the truth was more prosaic. Its existence was mostly ignored, and the sign was eventually removed with a memo. Apparently this tyre iron scene in the film had US audiences cheering. Cheering. Did they think it was real? Or even remotely likely?
The logic wouldn't fool a 12 year old.

While this film provides, apparently, many uplifting moments, I found it so contrived and false and wrong (unintentionally in many places) that I was alternating between outraged gasps and laughing out loud. I know that this is a common experience for those of us with an interest in history, but there is one difference here: many of the the people who worked there at the time are still around, and they must love that they're all being painted as misogynistic racists.
Most people don't read books or even articles. The film is what they will think was the truth. That's sad.
I could list all the distortions, exaggerations, and stupid scientific/factual errors in this film, but that will have to wait until I have a few hours spare.
January 5, 2018
Absolutely brilliant film.
January 2, 2018
Fantastic movie! Well-done, well acted, and a great story for all generations.
December 30, 2017
Heartwarming and a much needed addition to the Hollywood oeuvre. Octavia Spencer was awesome as always, as was the rest of the cast.
½ December 27, 2017
Absolutely wonderful movie about 3 African-American women who worked at NASA and helped put men into space. I am so glad that this movie was made. The contributions of women, especially those who are minorities are often ignored. It's a terrific story. I especially liked the scene where Kevin Costner smashes the "Colored" sign over the bathroom.
December 27, 2017
Three brilliant African-American women at NASA -- Katherine Johnson ,Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson who serve as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit, after Russia send Juri Gagarin into space first. At a time when Black people were segregated into coloured areas only and these women stand up and show that prejudice has no place in society. Inspiring drama