Hollow Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hollow Man Reviews

cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
Superb visual effects highlight Paul Verhoeven's slick, modern, and really violent retelling of The Invisible Man.

Kevin Bacon stars as Sebastian Caine- a gifted, driven, and hard working, but also very arrogant and entitled scientist who, along with his team, are developing some revolutionary new intelligence technology for a military organization. Their project is a serum that renders the user invisible. Testing on animals worked just fine, and, despite some hesitancy, Caine, pressured by the organization and his own impatience, goes ahead with a human trial...on himself. Things start out fine, but they didn't count on the side effects, namely that the serum is irreversible. Sebastian soon goes insane, and it's not long before his madness consumes him and he turns into a homicidal maniac.

Kevin Bacon is a good choice for the lead, doing a great job of bringing Caine's arrogance and madness to life. The two most notable cast members backing him up are Elisabeth Shue as one of his team (and a former lover), and Josh Brolin as another team member and current lover of Shue's character. I also liked Kim Dickens as Sarah, ANOTHER team member, though she's rather underdeveloped.

The film starts off great, with big ideas, thoughtfulness, and wonderful effects. Verhoeven is known for this sort of thing, so I wasn't surprised. Unlike some of his other violent but intelligent sci-fi efforts though, this one starts off strong then devolves into a typical slasher movie. That's not a completely bad thing, but it is disappointing. They also seem really eager to get right to the mayhem aspect of Caine's insanity instead of drawing out the suspense.

All in all, this is a really flawed, but still decently entertaining effort.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 3, 2011
Interesting concept by director Paul Verhoeven, Hollow Man is an intense Sci Fi horror film with a good cast of actors. The special effects are well done, however considering that this is a film by Paul Verhoevem, it lacks in delivering what you'd expect from the man that brought classic films such as Robocop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers to the screen. This is still a well acted film that has it its moments. Kevin Bacon gives a stunning performance, and Hollow Man manages to thrill despite its flaws. I felt that this was a departure from Verhoeven's previous work, because after all he did direct Robocop. Hollow Man though is a good film for what it is as it blends Sci Fi elements with horror and thrills into one film. The story is quite interesting, and works quite well. However there are a few things that could have been done better. Despite the flaws the film is quite entertaining and is visually appealing as well as having an interesting plot. The acting performances delivered by the cast are wonderful and they each bring something effective to the screen. Kevin Bacon is great in his role of Sebastian Caine. Verohoeven's change of direction works well, and he proves that he can make something different while retaining his signature style. Hollow Man is an effective Sci Fi horror film that has an intricate story and good acting. This is a better film than what most people say and it delivers effective chills with a good enough story to keep you interested till the end. A good film worthy to watch.
June 15, 2010
Kevin Bacon starred with Kevin Costner in JFK (1991)...who was one of the star cast members in 3000 Miles to Graceland with Courtney Cox...who used to attend summer camp as a child with Chip Brown...who used to work with me at my last job. There I did it in 4!!! Lmao!
Oh yeah... the movie was okay....
3niR
June 22, 2010
So so.
½ December 5, 2009
Very bizarre take on The Invisible Man. To see him as a pervert is something new and unexpected. It has a lot of the same humor as Paul Verhoeven's other films, so if you enjoy them, then you will enjoy this. Kevin Bacon always plays a great psychopath.
ScoopOnline
December 1, 2009
Great Suspense.
February 28, 2007
A great edge of your seat Thriller/Horror. Kevin Bacon plays evil impressively in this well cast film, which combines Science and endless possibilities when things begine to spiral out of control.

The use of effects in this film are outstanding and really create the atmosphere of the story.
September 10, 2009
The first time I saw the previews for "Hollow Man," I knew I had to see this movie. Of course, what I was impressed with the most by the previews were the special effects, and that was what I was most impressed with after I finally saw the movie. Sebastian (Kevin Bacon) is a genius who has already made something that can make animals completely invisible. Since the experiment works successfully with animals, Sebastian begins to wonder whether it would work or not on a human. To find out, he volunteers to be the first person the experiment is tried on. Will his new invention be as great as it sounds or will something go wrong? I recommend watching the movie to find out.
The special effects in "Hollow Man" are some of the best I've ever seen in any movie. I can't believe that it didn't win a lot of awards for best special effects of the year because they are spectacular to say the least. Plotwise, the movie seemed a bit left off. After Sebastian finds out that he is going to be invisible a little longer than expected, the movie takes a huge twist that is both compelling and unexpected. As a subplot, Sebastian isn't too happy with a past breakup with his co-worker ex-girlfriend, Linda (Elisabeth Shue). When I was a kid i used to imagine being invisible and what it would be like. "Hollow Man" appeased some of my past imaginations about being invisible and toying with people because Sebastian did tons of that in this movie.

Even though "Hollow Man" wasn't the kind of movie that I thought it was gonna be, and even though it has a choppy plot, I still thought it was a cool movie. I recommend anybody who likes watching movies with spectacular special effects or anyone who has ever had fantasies about being invisible to watch or get "Hollow Man." It's not as bad of a movie as some of the critics and some of the other reviewers are saying it is. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. One of those not quite as good as you thought it'd be from the previews, but still da kewl.
TheGame90
August 31, 2009
Good movie...Good Action....Great Special Effects
½ June 5, 2009
i ised to like this when he was invisible sucking the girls tit. cause its every 10year-olds fantasy to be invisible so you could suck a girls tit.
flixsterman
January 7, 2009
Valiant effort from director Paul Verhoeven but this retelling of The Invisible Man misses the mark.
thmtsang
July 7, 2007
A group of scientists discover they can make people invisible. Kevin Bacon's character becomes obsessed and goes on a rampage. Interesting take on the Invisible Man.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ February 13, 2008
Bad beyond words, what was Verhoeven thinking? I'll take Showgirls any day over this.
½ September 22, 2007
Multi-million dollar B-movie.
May 12, 2007
Good movie.
puffchunk
May 6, 2007
I'm sorry I'm going to kick you in the face sweetie- this is what i say to you hollowman!
½ March 22, 2007
A cool horror/thriller with great SFX!
garyX
February 11, 2007
Another stinker from Paul Verhoeven. A promising young scientist tests an invisibility serum on himself and promptly turns into a psychotic pervert who strangely seems to also become nigh on indestructable in a Jason-style way. Badly written, ugly effects, and nonsensical plotting. A complete waste of time.
sanjurosamurai
January 23, 2007
silly but not totally pointless
½ December 28, 2006
Kevin Bacon is always good and this wasn't too bad a flick.