Honkytonk Man Reviews

• Dec 05, 2018

What can I say about Honkytonk Man except it is a clear indication of Eastwood's reputation as a risk taker. A road movie, it features an interesting boy character who learns the harsh realities of life. In the short space of a couple of days, he will have experimented love (first in a brothel, then probably later with the girl they met along the road) and death (he'll have to cope with a burial). The young female "singer" they -reluctantly-take with them provides the movie with the comic relief it does need: you should hear her sing "My bonnie" in a shrill voice. The ballads Eastwood sings are moving and tuneful(I don't know if he is dubbed for them, but anyway it's made with taste and respect for the audience).The audition is the highlight of the movie, Eastwood seems to sing as if it were a matter of life and death(and it is anyway).The actor/director avoids pathos and melodrama. Once again, it was a very risky move to play such a character at a time when success story was the golden rule. The movie was bound to be a flop, but it deserves to be restored to favor now.

• Dec 03, 2018

• Aug 19, 2017

A kind, bittersweet take on two common film themes, Depression-era Okies suffering from the Dust Bowl and leaving for California, and itinerant country singers living complicated lives while they look for their big break. Eastwood is excellent, and the movie's gentle pace seems completely natural for the time and setting, and for this story of vulnerable humans doing their best to get by and seek a better life. Touching.

• Aug 07, 2017

This movie has stayed with me since I was a young child. I felt like I was with Whit as he traveled and lived with a struggling singer. One of Eastwood's most underappreciated roles and movies. Laid the groundwork for Bridges of Madison County with his softer persona and real-guy charm.

• Sep 20, 2016

Like an old country ballad, this is a calm, steadily paced little ditty of a film. Unfortunately, it has the gender and sexual politics of those old southern crooners as well, its fun be covered in uncomfortable social circumstances (i.e. the whorehouse scene...no no no). Not without its own life and humor, this Eastwood film is ALMOST worth recommending, but not quite. (P.S. Pet peeve: noticeably fake musicianship.)

• May 24, 2016

Honkytonk Man (1982) C-122m. ? 1/2 D: Clint Eastwood. Clint Eastwood, Kyle Eastwood, John McIntire, Verna Bloom. Artificial (and overlong) story of Oklahoma musician and his nephew heading to Nashville. Interesting for the use of Kyle Eastwood (Clint's real life son), but the leaden pace just destroys this movie. From the Clancy Carlile novel.

• Dec 23, 2015

One of Eastwood's hidden gems, if you may.

One of Eastwood's hidden gems, if you may.

• Feb 01, 2015

A fun road movie with a country music soundtrack and tuberculosis.

A fun road movie with a country music soundtrack and tuberculosis.

• Aug 30, 2014

Nice, Clint's son can gave a great acting career.

Nice, Clint's son can gave a great acting career.

• Aug 06, 2013

Eastwood gives us one of his best acting performances along with some very nice singing playing a depression era country singer. His son also gives a wonderful performance as his nephew and traveling companion. A great movie.