Hunky Dory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hunky Dory Reviews

February 15, 2015
Some seriously sniffy reviews here, well I loved it! You could probably argue that the drama doesn't quite live up to the sparkling Welsh school recreations of 70s classic songs but it's never less than heartfelt. In the end Minnie Driver is so good at this sort of role and any film which ends with a recreation of 'Life on Mars' is always going to win me round. I was really charmed from start to finish.
½ December 31, 2014
An uplifting coming-of-age story with a great soundtrack. It just feels a little too written-for-the-screen rather than a genuine story from the 1970's.
December 24, 2014
another school play pic
½ August 15, 2014
Wednesday, August 13, 2014

(2013) Hunky Dory
MUSICAL DRAMA

Takes place sometime during the late 1970's focusing on a choir/play group with Minnie Driver as Vivienne Mae attempting to conduct and organize a musical play of Shakespear's the Tempest. Watching this is like watching the UK equivalent of "Glee" with the only difference is that it's based on actual characters viewers don't even get to know what they really look like after the closing credits. Some of the issues regards, support from fellow teaching staff members, a brother who has an older skin head brother, hitting puberty, as well as some gay themes. I don't care.

1 star out of 4
July 6, 2014
An OK movie, I just didn't seem to connect with it. Good performance from Minnie Driver as always.

3 Stars!
PantaOz
½ April 27, 2014
This British (or if you prefer Welsh) independent musical about the trials of an idealistic drama teacher as she tries to put on the end of year show, was like a book of clichés put together. That was done by the writer Laurence Coriat and directed by Welsh director Marc Evans and stars Minnie Driver, Aneurin Barnard, Kimberley Nixon and Robert Pugh.

The setting of the story is in a Welsh comprehensive school during the long hot summer of 1976, and very keen drama teacher Vivienne (Minnie Driver) fights sweltering heat and general teenage apathy to put on an end of year rock and roll musical version of Shakespeare's The Tempest (that David Bowie would be proud of). She has high expectations and to engage her students, she uses hits of the time, performed by a fresh young cast led by Davey (Aneurin Barnard).

It has a good message wrapped in a pleasant, feel good movie shiny wrapper (kept for a while) directed like a giant kids puzzle where you explain every piece in details, giving kids the hint where to put it. But, I have to admit I enjoyed it because all that was very smoothly done and with enthusiasm and chemistry which could not be faked! Enjoyable.
March 8, 2014
Charming story, great (young) actors and my favourite actress Minnie Driver <3 could not be more brilliant.
½ February 20, 2014
This was a fun movie. The blend of crazy characters, music, and story was very entertaining. I loved that the school's show was staged outdoors.
½ May 13, 2013
True story......good to see (at the credits) what the young people all ended up doing in life too.....Minnie Driver is totally watchable!!
April 21, 2013
Was hoping this would be a hidden gem but there's a reason it's not well known - it's overly saccharine, pretty dull and seems to rely on Welsh people saying swear words for most of its laughs.
March 27, 2013
Aneurin Barnard was a pleasure to listen to and to watch. Wow! Beautiful voice and he really nailed the range of awkward to shy to angry and through all of those again. The film's virtues include not being just another Glee or High School Musical but evokes realism in a way that makes me wonder about the reviewers I have seen who are too slick and cynical to see that it works in a different way.
½ March 23, 2013
Loved this! set in Swansea in the 1970s a drama teacher tries to get the kids to put on a show. with the rest of the teachers on her back and the kids all having issues, will it go ahead. Great to see half the cast of Stella in it. If you are welsh you will love this movie :)
March 19, 2013
A high school musical (rehearsals, mainly) in 1976 Wales, directed by a new female drama teacher who sets to prove other older teachers are all wrong, starring a bunch of way-too-old looking kids.
March 17, 2013
Coming of age british musical with all the heart of Billy Elliot but hardly any of the talent.
March 12, 2013
I really enjoyed it, funny and touching, and the Welsh accents sound genuine mostly.
March 4, 2013
much deeper than it seems and that is it's charm...loved it...with one quick kiss 'Miss' gets through to her student that maybe Stella is not THE one...that the pain will pass...that he is of value..totally appropriate action....great bit of writing and acting. Minie is a great story teller in real life and on screen.
March 3, 2013
Superb comedy-drama interspersed with some truly brilliant music and featuring a warm and affable performance from Minnie Driver as the EA teacher trying to direct a musical based on The Tempest. It's sort of like Glee with a degree or Pitch Perfect without the slapstick and one-liners but with added (realistic) swearing and a particularly believable exploration of sexuality. Another gem from chameleon-like director Marc Evans. Cynicism should ideally be left behind.
February 6, 2013
Funny, sentimental and some great tunes (well played and sung too!). Loved it.
December 24, 2012
Great film! Great soundtrack took us back to our youth in the 70's and a great version of the Beach Boys Don't talk put your head on my shoulder'
July 29, 2012
Liked this a lot. The hazy summer of '76 perfectly recreated with Bowie, ice pops and 10p phone boxes.

Its full of clichà (C), but is a poignant look at those last weeks of school and childhood. And its funny with a cracking Bowie/ELO score by the kids.