I Killed My Mother - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Killed My Mother Reviews

September 24, 2016
Brilliant, I loved it. The music remained me of 'In the mood of love' movie. For all the poetry involved and the whole interesting plot this is just a great movie.
½ June 8, 2016
Impressive directorial debut from also writer and star Xavier Dolan. A complex and sensitive issue explored in an accomplished manner by the cast, especially Dorval in the maternal role.
April 17, 2016
It is essential to note that this film was made by an 18 year old man. Highly stylized and visually astute, this movie may slip off the rails but it is often an amazing cinematic experience. The dialogue between mother and rebellious young adult is painfully realistic. It is probably more tied to the director's youth and inexperience that it all ends up being a bit over-wrought. Yet it can be denied that the film's situations would be experienced with a great deal of angst and passion. "I Killed My Mother" is an amazing example of a great film artist in process of mastering his skills. He may over reach and gesture a bit too much, but this is clearly an unrestrained work of a great filmmaker about to happen.
December 23, 2015
This is what cinema should be more frequently. Dolan proves to be quite a performer, a storyteller and a cinéaste. That this is his debut (at age 20) makes him all the more impressive.
December 22, 2015
Xavier Dolan's debut and probably the reason of much of his fame. I saw brilliant "Mommy" a while back and was utterly impressed. This is a film that is very close to it, but still something else.

Hubert is at odds with his mom. He is 16 and studies art. She is a pain in the ass for him as they just fight and manipulate all the time. There is loads of love here, but it's under the shade of hate. Things does not get much better when the mom finds out about Huberts sexuality.

This is known as a semi-autobiographical story and I absolutely buy that. The story is as powerful as it is beautifully shot. Fantastic acting and the film never feel flat. It's hard to look away from the film. Intense and down to earth, typical but stil an original story.

Xavier was only 16 when he wrote the script and 20 years old when he directed it. This is a fantastic debut in most ways. I still got "Mommy" as a favorite of his, but this comes close and is only the second film I've seen from the young master that seem to be one of my favorite directors at the moment.

8.5 out of 10 car lifts.
December 8, 2015
A deep and thoughtfull exploration of relationships coupled with great dialogue and amazing acting make for a film that easily showcases Dolans talent and makes great statements towards his future endevours.
December 2, 2015
Xavier Dolan is a really talented, promising young director, and his filmmaking debut is this sensitive and engaging approach to a semi-autobiographical subject, a story that balances subtle humor and compelling drama in a more than satisfying way.
½ October 29, 2015
While I can see the germs of the talent Dolan will show in greater amounts in future films, and keeping in mind this is the directorial debut of a 20 year old, I can't say my interest level was kept very high. It feels like a rehearsal for Dolan's later effort "Mommy," where his talents were greatly enhanced. I've watched his movies completely out of order, but it's obvious that if you watch his movies in production order, you can see him getting better as a filmmaker with each movie.
½ September 16, 2015
A bit self-indulgent & sophomoric but for a 19 year old director this is amazing work -- and the way he directs Anne Dorval in 2015's Mommy is incredible & the transformation from her role in this movie to that of DIE is nothing short of genius.
August 30, 2015
-What would you do if I died today?
-I'd die tomorrow.
A coming of age,true and raw story,about a boy and his relationship with his mum.Mother's do not understand everything,can be annoying sometimes,we may hate them other times,but at the end of the day all of us miss the peacefull and calm,long-gone days of the past when our mothers meant everything to us.
½ June 11, 2015
A stunning, semi-autobiographical tour de force from writer/director/producer/performer Xavier Dolan, it is a film with the sting of shrewdly observed truth. Xavier Dolan has done at 19 what most of us will never accomplish: produce a legitimate work of art that communicates to us in innovative, challenging and affecting ways. As a director, Mr. Dolan has a freewheeling style, and he's self-dramatizing enough to want to call attention to it without being too much of a visual show-off. Xavier Dolan's I Killed My Mother marks the emergence of an exciting new filmmaking talent. The Montreal actor, a mere 20 years old, displays a startlingly mature perspective on human behavior in his triple threat position as writer-director-star. As an actor, Dolan's an accomplished comedian, one with a tragic core. And as a screenwriter and director, he's even better. This is hardly the reassuring, audience-friendly coming-of-age-and-out tale it could've been. It's very much a two-hander between opponents who are equally matched and often equally flawed. What makes it extraordinary is its depth of feeling, which Dolan's age makes all the more impressive: he was just 19 when he made this. For Dorval's acting alone, the film is a must-see. Add to that Dolan's own petulant performance, knowing eye for character detail, offbeat camera set-ups and assured direction, and the movie becomes a blissful character study. It's fabulous.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent... (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
May 22, 2015
OH, Dolan. Nuevo ídolo <3
½ May 9, 2015
La crudeza de los sentimientos hogareños en la primera muestra del joven Xavier Doldan engloban los momentos tensos en los que poco a poco se desevela una humanidad "sin querer queriendo".
½ April 25, 2015
La fin est dà (C)cevante un peu :(
April 24, 2015
No, Hubert Minel(Xavier Dolan, who also wrote and directed) did not kill his mother, Chantale Lemming(Anne Dorval). That was something he wrote for a high school writing assignment. That does not make her any happier when she finds out, though. However, after things calm down, which is a relative state for this normally bickering pair, she offers to let him get his own apartment at the age of 16. But once he does find an apartment very much to his liking, she reneges on the deal.

"I Killed My Mother" is a movie about communication between two people who have trouble expressing themselves to each other. As far as Hubert goes, he is at an age when he is just starting to define who he is and who he wants to be and does not feel supported by his mother. As far as Xavier Dolan goes, he shows promise as a director, especially in his use of two-shots. But ironically enough he has trouble communicating with the audience about his specific point of view. To quote Hubert's teacher(Suzanne Clement), who talks to their mother like this? Which is a question the movie never satisfactorily answers.
½ April 3, 2015
Acerbic, poignant and personal, "J'ai tué ma mère" is an outstanding debut feature from writer-director Xavier Dolan. Dolan achieves an effortless balance of style, mordant humour and bracing honesty, while exploring the complexities of familial love. With a distinct voice and strong command of visual and aural aesthetics, Dolan is undoubtedly an auteur to watch.
March 20, 2015
Directed by 19 year old Xavier Dolan. Let me say again, 19 year old. Fantastic drama revealing the disturbing relationship between a sixteen year old homosexual and his depressed mother.
March 18, 2015
This excellent first film from a young Canadian film maker I very interestingly done and quite unique in it's portrayal of the tumultuous relationship between an adolescent and his mother. Dolan has an eye for details and beauty that will probably increase and become even richer with time. This film is quite an achievement on a technical level, using a series of tricks and effects that dynamite the story and gives the film a very specific and unique touch. Really enjoyable from start to finish.
February 28, 2015
Xavier Dolan may have KILLED HIS MOTHER but his first film shot world cinema with a much needed dose of adrenaline. Watching this film after the great success of MOMMY, makes you realize what a talent we have in our midst. A perfect companion piece to MOMMY, I KILLED MY MOTHER is equally devastating and insightful.