I Love You, Man Reviews

• Jul 22, 2019

It is a charming bromance film that has funny relatable moments. Like most good comedies, they a certain level of re watchability.

• Apr 23, 2019

These Judd Apatow style films are usually pretty hit or miss for me. I'm either going to be cringed out massively, stony faced or fully embrace it, laugh throughout and feel great after. I love you, man is the latter. Of course this isn't the most groundbreaking film-making or direction but for me this suits the film completely. The script is incredibly sweet but sprinkled with conflict when necessary for the stories development. I love the idea of a usual boy meets girl rom-com completely turned on its head to a guy meets other guy friend, it feels fresh and I was completely rooting for Peter and Sydney the whole film. Paul Rudd and Jason Segel give delightful, sweet performances and address a lot of male issues such as opening up and confidence levels amongst so called "alpha-males". I must have belly laughed about 10 times and found myself unable to stop smiling through a lot of it and after. This is an undemanding treat with a brilliant act structure, one of the best films of its kind.

• Apr 13, 2019

The round premise not only benefits from the cast's comedic charm to make it hilarious minus the low cheese, it provides a reassuring insight at a relatable level regarding adult friendship depends on the social angle. (B+) (Full review TBD)

• Mar 11, 2019

Frequently funny with positive messages about never being too old to find new friends, being honest and true to yourself, and balancing relationships. Overall one of the better bro comedies out there and it's one your significant other will like as well. It's not for everyone however, as it can be a little cringey and silly, but there are laughs to be had for every sense of humor. This movie is nothing special in technical terms, but nothing is bad about it either. It isn't going to be on your top 10 list, but it's still respectable. Definitely worth watching.

• Nov 11, 2018

This film was great.

This film was great.

• Oct 24, 2018

I Love You, Man is one of the most unique films I’ve ever seen about male friendships. I found myself identifying a lot with Paul Rudd’s character, because I also have difficulty forming close relationships with other men. In fact, his journey through this film to find people who might qualify as groomsmen for his wedding mirrored my own struggles when I got married. The writers clearly had a lot of fun with the story, creating parallels between making friends and dating, and it all felt like a good TV sitcom. The humor was well-written, and I loved the cast that they assembled. Everyone nailed the comedy, even people who had a limited number of scenes. In fact, the handful of lines from J.K. Simmons delivered some of the funniest moments in the whole film. I Love You, Man also did a great job of setting itself apart from other modern comedies. I’ll admit that the jokes sometimes got a little low-brow, but even those moments were clever and seemed to fit the situation. I expected that Jason Segel was going to be one of those clichéd characters who is so over-the-top and exaggerated that he doesn’t even seem like a real human being. However, while he is quirky and a little crazy, he’s not a constant burden that destroys Rudd’s life. He feels like an authentic human being, and someone that you might want to befriend. By the end, I was emotionally invested in this story and I cared how the wedding and the friendship would turn out. I Love You, Man was a surprisingly enjoyable film. While I don’t think it was powerful enough to make me rush out to buy a copy of it, I’d gladly watch it again any time.

• Oct 11, 2018

Strengths: This is one of the funniest movies to come out in an era that was filled with strong comedies. The cast has incredible chemistry. Paul Rudd (Peter Klaven) and Jason Segel (Sydney Fife) work so well together. They just play off one another and everything feels natural. However, the supporting cast is just as great. Rsahida Jones (Zooey Rice) is charming and likable, while Jamie Pressly (Denise McLean) and Jon Favreau (Barry McLean) are hilarious as a dysfunctional couple. Even those given minor roles like Andy Samberg (Robbie Klaven), JK Simmons (Oswald Klaven), and Lou Ferrigno (Himself) were all very strong. It's insanely quotable and features some side-splitting scenes. The little things like the "slapping the bass" lines or the gag about dogs looking people all work. The script is great. Not only is it witty, but each character is given a lot to work with and the main few all grow over the course of the film. It balances the raunchy with the heartwarming in a difficult way that most movies fail at. Weaknesses: One character who didn't work at all was played by Rob Huebel (Tevin Downey). I get that he's supposed to be a douche, but he's way too over the top. Nothing he says is funny. You can't even straight up dislike him because he doesn't even feel like a real person. There was a bit too much predictability in some of the plot points. Overall: An all-time great comedy with mostly likable characters, hilarious moments, and a heartfelt story.

• Sep 18, 2018

Tons of unnecessary foul language. I think the film is a comedy but widely misses the mark. Disappointed given the cast.

• Sep 14, 2018

Quite good, and pretty funny

Quite good, and pretty funny

• Sep 04, 2018

as far as craft is concerned, you are knocking on the wrong door.. I Love You, Man I Love You, Man is a plot driven comic feature about a guy whose journey to find a friend in order to claim "the best man" title for its upcoming wedding. There resides very little space or range for even the actors to explore their own characters let along the audience. The chemistry doesn't communicate to the viewers where neither the writing nor the performance works in its favour. It is a different thing to stay subtle and mellow on expressing the agendas and different to just surf through the shallow emotions; the "buddy" thing isn't just convincing here. Addition to that, the mature take on it, leaves the crisp out of it and the makers start losing the audience as it ages on screen. The writing may be mature, but isn't adaptive or gripping enough to keep the audience tangled in its quirky bubble. Its side characters gets more and more obvious and doesn't grow beyond their one-dimensional persona. And as far as lead ones are concerned, their non-impressive way to connect by depicting various episode is pure corruption. It falls flatly on technical aspects like its almost non-existent background score, immature cinematography and daft editing. Neither the theme or the tone of the feature is palpable to its camera work; it's a big mess. Segal's portrayal is of step-back nature where he never attempts to steal the show and unfortunately Rudd fails to make the best out of it. Hamburg and Levin's script isn't sincere enough to breed the sincerity of its self-created world and neither does Hamburg's execution factors in to save it. Segal's smarter portrayal and few tiny notions that sweetens things are the only high points of the feature. I Love You, Man is a response that the audience offers to the actors as a consolation prize for as far as the craft is concerned, you are knocking on the wrong door.