I, Tonya - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I, Tonya Reviews

Page 1 of 36
½ August 17, 2018
An interesting way to tell this sad story with excellent acting.
½ August 16, 2018
En el año 1991 la patinadora sobre hielo Tonya Harding se convirtió en la segunda mujer (y primera de Estados Unidos) en conseguir un salto triple Axel en una competencia profesional. A partir de allí logró ser campeona estadounidense, subcampeona mundial y medallista olímpico. Sin embargo, hoy en día no se la recuerda por todos esos méritos, sino por un ataque que sufrió su principal rival Nancy Kerrigan, cuyo actor material fue un atacante contratado por Jeff Gillooly, esposo de Tonya en 1994.
24 años después llea a los cines Yo soy Tonya, una biopic con mucho humor negro y algunos toques dramáticos que por momentos su narración y montaje simula ser un falso documental, y que relata la difícil vida de Tonya (Margot Robbie) desde sus inicios hasta el ataque a su rival y sus consecuencias.
A la película se la podría dividir en dos partes de casi igual duración. La primera nos presenta a Tonya desde muy chica cuando deseaba ser patinadora hasta lograr conseguir el aclamado triple Axel. Allí vemos todas las dificultades que tuvo que afrontar desde su infancia con una madre abusiva y muy sobre exigente (interpretada por la ganadora del Oscar Allison Janney) a la que en su adolescencia se sumó a su novio y futuro marido Jeff (Sebastian Stan) con quien mantuvo una relación enfermiza con muchos distanciamientos y acercamiento en la que incluía violencia física de ambas partes. En toda esta primer parte se destaca un gran dinamismo en la narración y una gran cuota de humor ácido lo que la hace sumamente entretenida.
Sin embargo, la segunda parte, cuando entra de lleno al ataque de Kerrigan, uno de los escándalos deportivos más importantes de la historia, al cual llaman "el incidente" el humor que era lo que más sobresale empieza a desvanecerse para darle lugar al drama cambiando el ritmo que tan bien llevaba, tropezando un poco en el ritmo y alargando de más algunas escenas.
Más allá de este cambio abrupto entre ambas partes, la narración es prolijo y el montaje al estilo documental le aporta un extra bastante positivo.
August 14, 2018
Absolutely brilliant, darkly funny, and fantastic insight into the complicated characters.
½ August 14, 2018
Decent, but would of liked more focus on the actual attack.
½ August 12, 2018
Fantastic movie. Brilliantly acted. If not for the dark humour, you would swear it was a full on documentary.
August 11, 2018
Good to watch just for Robbie. The direction is... fine.
August 7, 2018
Best movie that I have ever seen!
August 7, 2018
Surprisingly relevant for a sports bio-pic. Critiques sensationalist media, speaks about classism in the sports world and rightfully blames bloodthirsty audiences that demand scandals no matter what the price may be for the individuals behind the headlines. Great acting, too.
½ August 5, 2018
A tragic tale about Tonya Harding from her rise to fall. A figure skating and one of the most hated figures in the United States at the time. It's kinda dark but it's made in a funny idea. The pace isn't too slow and its pretty firm makes every minute never felt bored. Margot Robbie makes a new character in herself. It's not fictional, but it's too real for a sports biography film which doesn't focus too much on it. With the choreography and costume design which is really beautiful, this movie is just freaking hilarious and irony at the same times.
½ August 3, 2018
I enjoyed this storytelling ! This was the first film I've seen with Margot Robbie.
I watched this film out of curiosity, and mainly bc I knew Allison Janney would be incredible .(I was not disappointed). Makeup and costumes were nice, and soundtrack kept me entertained. The film did leave me hanging a bit.. there wasn't really a huge xlimax or shocking ending .. it just ended .
½ August 3, 2018
Excellent interpretation of this pop culture event . Movie does drag a bit near the end. A must see movie though with outstanding performances from Robbie and Janney.
August 1, 2018
7-2018 Dysfunctional people, does not clear up who lied
July 23, 2018
her story is Tragic. confused about her accent though she is country then new york :?
Super Reviewer
½ July 22, 2018
Based on a true story, I, Tonya is a remarkably compelling and tragic tale of ambition. The story follows the life of US figure skating champion Tonya Harding, from her beginnings as a young child in an abusive home to the scandal that ruined her career. Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, and Allison Janney all give excellent performances; especially Robbie, who has tremendous screen presence. And the script is incredibly well-written, with an unconventional narrative that constantly breaks the fourth wall. Additionally, the film has a subtle comedic wit and uses dark humor to lighten the tone. Also, the soundtrack does an amazing job at capturing the emotional resonance of the characters. A smart and well-crafted biopic, I, Tonya looks beyond the controversy and finds the humanity.
July 18, 2018
This movie should have been best picture for 2018. This is Margot Robbie's finest role to date. Margot received a well deserved Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for her portrayal of the Olympic figure skater Tonya Harding. Tonya's skating career was disintegrated after her husband was implicated in the assault of a rival Olympic skater by the name of Nancy Kerrigan. I can't fault this movie on any level. It is must see entertainment.
July 18, 2018
Between Margot Robbie's fiery portrayal as Tonya Harding and Alison Janney's raw performance as her abusive mother, 'I, Tonya' is a satisfying bio pic that uses dark comedy to tell the many sides of the true events that led up to that famous incident in 1994 and the fallout that occurred.
July 17, 2018
The world of figure skating isn't one that has ever held massive appeal for me and I had never heard of Tonya Harding previous to watching this movie. That said though, what a fantastic film! The story follows Tonya Harding, a figure skater with immense skill who failed to progress because of her lack of privilege and the snobbery of the judges who were looking to portray a wholesome image of the sport. She is also hampered along the way by an abusive husband and a cruel, controlling and overbearing mother who is played superbly by Allison Janney. Margot Robbie was excellent and this is certainly her best film to date, even if figure skating doesn't appeal, you have to see it because it's her life outside the rink that will keep you hooked.
July 15, 2018
Margot Robbie is at the top of her game with a masterful performance as troubled, yet extremely talented, figure skater Tonya Harding. In fact many of the performances in the film are quite good. However I was not all that impressed with Allison Janey's performance which ultimately won her an Academy Award. It seemed to me like a one note performance. She displayed hardly any emotion or personality. I would think those are necessary things for a performance to work. Also I do have a small issue with the movie's historical accuracy. I know movies based on true events do take dramatic license, but I felt there was a little too much contrivance here. Still, I think the movie has enough positive aspects for me to recommend it.
½ July 11, 2018
Surprised I very much enjoyed this movie. The character development was wonderful.
Page 1 of 36