In Bruges - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Bruges Reviews

½ February 15, 2018
Great performances all around, sharply written and original story. Can be both brutally violent and touchingly sincere at times. The characters have depth and handle their moral dillemmas in a realistic way, which keeps audiences engaged in the film. This is only made more poignant by the aforementioned performaces. Ralph Fiennes' insanity is terrifying, hilarious and touching all at the same time. His late appearance as Harry helps the movie keep its momentum until the end, which is shocking yet fulfilling. Ken's (Gleeson) reserved and contemplative posistion in the film comes to a heartbreaking and shockingly creative climax in the final scenes. Ray (Farrell) views a world of crime and immorality through a profoundly innocent lens, the movie is essentially about a child killing another child. McDonaghs films tend to focus on the capacity of terrible people to change (their hope and belief that they can), and the movie ultimately has an uplifting message.
February 11, 2018
Really damn good and original
February 2, 2018
moved a bit slow in the beginning but towards the end it had me on the edge of my seat... don't miss this great thriller! and yeah... it also have great comedy and a satisfying ending which is rare in most of the movies they recommend me.
January 28, 2018
Full of witty, acid and funny dialogues, In Bruges is an outstanding debut for writer-diretor Martin McDonagh that boasts hilarious work from Colin Farrell.
January 20, 2018
Wrong film to feel good on a Saturday night with my beer & pizza! Good film though. Mix of humour, sadness & light action. Now I feel sad though.
½ January 12, 2018
Wonderfully twisted crime dramedy that manages to be both gut-wrenching & hilarious at the same time. The entire cast give career best performances, with Colin Farrell giving his best lead performance to date as the mournful Ray, who tries to deal with a horrible thing he's done, but sometimes in the craziest ways (he's got a thing for midgets). He's matched wonderfully by Bendan Gleeson, who genuinely believes in Ray, despite his past, while Ralph Fiennes is hilarious as their short-tempered mob boss. Behind the camera, writer/director Martin McDonagh crafts a truly original piece and you'll never sure where it's going. What's remarkable is that the dramatic moments are gut-wrenching (Ray did do a bad thing) while the comedic moments hilarious (an argument over a suicidal man with his supposed assassin over who gets to kill him is brilliant). Best of all, they fit together in the film perfectly and never feel out of place with each other. McDonagh also makes great use of the the Christmas holiday, as some pretty horrible stuff happens around the time humans should be sharing peace & joy. Overall, one of the best & most original crime films in recent years, and since it takes place during Christmas, and awesome addition to the holiday film rotation.
January 12, 2018
Oh my god just please watch this movie
January 11, 2018
One of the strangest and funniest movies I've ever seen.
½ January 10, 2018
I would be wary of anyone who likes this movie a little too much. There's so many effective elements that overall cohere into a gripping thriller, this film really does revel too much in its "Non PC" attitude. I get that, in many ways, it's aping Tarantino, not only in its quick-talking-hitman plot but also his use of offensive, taboo language. You really get the sense from Tarantino, though, that he at least *likes* the groups whose language he might offend - I don't get that from Martin McDonagh. It really just seems to be three straight white men doing things like asking midgets if they want to kill themselves because they're a midget.
The characters are very well fleshed out; good thing, because there's so much dialogue and so few actual characters. This makes the eventual climax legitimately pulse pounding and ultimately (mostly satisfying). Like I said, though, this movie is liable to turn a lot of people off with its misogynistic, racist, bigoted language, but if you're able to look past that, you will find a strong film.
December 30, 2017
What a great film. The synopsis does not do it justice. Very funny.
December 28, 2017
Top drawer firecracker dialogue led movie. Very funny.
December 23, 2017
One of the best films to come out since I have been alive As close to perfect as I've seen. The tight screenplay is especially mind-boggling.
½ December 21, 2017
Great film - funny and dark. One of my favorites.
½ December 21, 2017
My full opinion: 3.5/4.
December 10, 2017
A great little crime drama by MacDonagh. The two characters, Ken and Ray, are on an assigned vacation by their boss, Harry, who sent them to Belgium to see the sights. Bruges is a preserved medieval city in Belgium that's Gothic architecture and art shows the turmoil of heaven and hell on Earth. Ken and Ray's personal histories are revealed, and we see how and why they ended up where they are. Bruges' buildings, streets and waterways, and alcoves (don't forget the alcoves), are used effectively, showing us different parts of the town as the story progresses. The characters travel through different parts of the city as it shifts from exhibition and majestic through architecture to present and modern through the people, both residents and transients. City sites change as the characters' perceptions shifts from the prosaic to the artfully mythic. Several characters intersect Ken and Ray's story providing intertwining subplots, including a third act shift, until the entire plot is straightened out in the end.
The sparse comedy is sardonic, acerbic, and dark, which lets the characters be humorously insulting, though that may be an endearing Irish sentiment from an Irish director. I don't know.
November 14, 2017
*****
Well, I'm blown away. 'In Bruges' is a film I've been meaning to see for many years now and, looking back, I have no idea what stopped me. The balance this film strikes between hilarity and emotion is unfounded. Two completely opposing tones working together PERFECTLY to create one magnificent whole. Outstanding performances from everybody involved, particularly Ralph Fiennes who gives his most unconventional (and best) to date are part of the reason this film works as well as it does; but it would be nothing without the truly stunning script by Writer/Director Martin McDonagh that provides for tear-jerks and belly laughs all at once. The ending, too, was just phenomenal - very unconventional, and an excellent way to wrap things up. Not going to spoil anything - just go and see it as soon as physically possible.
½ October 14, 2017
good dark humour . great acting. colin Farrell on form here
October 10, 2017
Hilarious, Clever, and Un P.C as shit, I loved it!
September 29, 2017
I only watched it because I have a trip to Bruges soon. However it was surprisingly entertaining. I might even like it more after my trip if I can bare to watch Colin Farrell with his Irish accent.
September 16, 2017
Fucking brilliant dark comedy.