In Bruges - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Bruges Reviews

September 18, 2018
With great dialogue and performances In Bruges is a must see for fans of Tarantino.
September 4, 2018
Movies don't get any better than this. Exceptional script with unforgettable one liners at every turn.
½ August 14, 2018
A very funny dark comedy with great performances by Colin Farrell and Brenden Gleeson, they had excellent chemistry. Ralph Feinnes was hilarious as their boss.
August 2, 2018
Martin McDonagh bust on the the big screen with a true masterpiece. Location, great cast and top script bring this black comedy to life. A must see film!
June 16, 2018
In Bruges is a stupid film
June 1, 2018
Romance. Drama. Violence. Comedy. Tragedy.
May 7, 2018
Excellent script, excellent idea. Black surreal humour and irony are definitely the strongest aspects of this movie.
½ April 29, 2018
A wonderfully crafted black comedy. Hilarious, sad, violent, and potentially offensive, this gem doesn't hold back. At times, it seems like a vehicle for Colin Farrell to act like an angsty toddler, but then someone gets shot.
April 14, 2018
Really good for a comedy movie. Give it a shot!
½ April 12, 2018
Though it isn't something you haven't seen before, the script salvages the story through well-layered characters.
March 22, 2018
A pitch black comedy that leans a little too heavily on being seedy and offensive to lighten the tone (but the appearance of Fiennes in the third act gives the gloom the little spark of levity it needs).
March 17, 2018
A film that defines dark humor, 'In Bruges' will have you laughing at its hilarious, witty, and vulgar comedy. There is also an element of suspense as you have two hit men hiding in Bruges, Belgium because of a hit that went wrong. As an American watching this British film, I can appreciate the things that less censorship allows. I love watching Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson going back and forth saying sometimes ghastly things, but with hilarious effect. This is a dark comedy that you have to focus on because the jokes and lines are not fed to you with a spoon, like so many abysmal modern comedies. It also helps that it is filmed in beautiful Bruges, despite the film's obvious punchline in bashing the most well-preserved medieval city in Belgium. Add Ralph Fiennes and you have quite the treat.
½ March 14, 2018
Not a whole lot to this movie to this movie, but it is pretty charming. It has the qualities of something that a depressed Tarantino would make, and I don't mean that as a bad thing. It has the same smart vulgar dialogue and sense of fun throwaway violence, but there's a bit more nihilism and somber tone to it all that sets it apart. It's an enjoyable ride with two enjoyable characters who we really shouldn't enjoy as much as we do. It goes through horrible events with a casual tone that adds a sense of realism that makes it unique. I love films that can have two mortal enemies stop in the middle of a shootout to have a conversation on the logistics of where they'll continue shooting each other.
February 25, 2018
With a particular proper amount of dark humor and its respective violence, director Martin McDonagh finds himself accomplishing a compelling-yet-raw film about two assassins, with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson sharing a fine chemistry and stealing the show as the main characters, inside a well-written and appealingly directed flick that may not be action packed, as many British-like takes on the genre, that grows better only with the presence of Ralph Fiennes.
February 22, 2018
An original black comedy that successfully balances light and dark, surprising at every turn. Script is packed with feisty comedic punch, allowing leads to fully own their roles. Despite some gratuitous moments, it hangs together marvellously.
½ February 15, 2018
Great performances all around, sharply written and original story. Can be both brutally violent and touchingly sincere at times. The characters have depth and handle their moral dillemmas in a realistic way, which keeps audiences engaged in the film. This is only made more poignant by the aforementioned performaces. Ralph Fiennes' insanity is terrifying, hilarious and touching all at the same time. His late appearance as Harry helps the movie keep its momentum until the end, which is shocking yet fulfilling. Ken's (Gleeson) reserved and contemplative posistion in the film comes to a heartbreaking and shockingly creative climax in the final scenes. Ray (Farrell) views a world of crime and immorality through a profoundly innocent lens, the movie is essentially about a child killing another child. McDonaghs films tend to focus on the capacity of terrible people to change (their hope and belief that they can), and the movie ultimately has an uplifting message.
February 11, 2018
Really damn good and original
February 2, 2018
moved a bit slow in the beginning but towards the end it had me on the edge of my seat... don't miss this great thriller! and yeah... it also have great comedy and a satisfying ending which is rare in most of the movies they recommend me.
January 28, 2018
Full of witty, acid and funny dialogues, In Bruges is an outstanding debut for writer-diretor Martin McDonagh that boasts hilarious work from Colin Farrell.
January 20, 2018
Wrong film to feel good on a Saturday night with my beer & pizza! Good film though. Mix of humour, sadness & light action. Now I feel sad though.