In Bruges - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Bruges Reviews

October 22, 2016
Pretty damn disappointing
½ October 19, 2016
An incredible crime/comedy/drama, with great characters and equally great performances, particularly by Farrell and Gleeson, the dialogue is really good, as well as the psyche of the characters and their motivations, the score and the cinematography are also top notch. A great movie overall.
October 11, 2016
Absurd movie. Lots of graphic violence and gore. Good production values and acting, but the whole thing felt pointless.
October 8, 2016
Black humour and hilarious story!
½ September 22, 2016
sem qualquer duvida o verdadeiro "artistic thriller" dramático quanto baste para o humor irlandês não enjoar com banda sonora 5*
½ September 19, 2016
I had no idea what to expect when it came to In Bruges, but I'd heard good things and thought it was worth looking into while it's available on Netflix. What a brilliantly hilarious film! I was genuinely taken aback at how much I laughed while watching this movie. It is a dark comedy, because there is some serious stuff going on throughout the film, but somehow that just made the humorous lines even funnier. The genius really comes in the way that these dangerous assassins go about life and talk about the serious things that come with their job in such a casual way. It also helps to add poignancy when one of them gets genuinely emotional when he talks about a particular event that happened while on the job. This adds gravitas to that event, so that we know even in their world this is a big deal. Colin Farrell is ridiculously charming and funny in the lead role, which is impressive because his character lacks a filter, so he could be seen as a total jerk. Brendan Gleeson is perfection as the best friend that everyone would love to have. Every moment he's on film I just want to relax and have a drink with him. Added to all this is the amazing Ralph Fiennes who is playing a character that is comedy gold, nearly every other word out of his mouth had me laughing out loud. I recognize that In Bruges has a very particular kind of humor (and some very serious things going on as well) so it won't appeal to all audiences. My recommendation would be to try watching it and if you don't find the first few scenes humorous, then just give up because it's not going to get better for you. I, personally, loved the film and can't wait to watch it again.
½ September 18, 2016
I waited way to long to see this one.
September 10, 2016
It's everything you could ask for from a dark comedy. Farrell and Gleeson are a great odd couple.
½ September 8, 2016
A pitch black comedy with wit to spare and an emotional core that rattles the heartstrings.
August 29, 2016
Flawed and very dark, but funny and brilliant all the same.
½ August 20, 2016
A comedic Boondock Saints: In Bruges in enjoyable but not great. The characters are funny, witty, and the plot is particularly dark.
August 15, 2016
Review coming soon..
August 13, 2016
Understated and funny in unexpected ways, Farrell pulls

The shenanigans are balanced out by some truly dark backstory and plot points that nonetheless play together into an engaging storyline. Very much a character study, though, if you aren't really interested in the two main characters then you probably will be bored by the halfway point.
August 2, 2016
Witty, brisk, sleek, funny, sad, everything. It's everything.

It's twisted, and dark, and it's incredible. I don't know how this film came to be so underrated, but on the other hand, I'm not even sure how this film had an American release, so I don't know, maybe I shouldn't be surprised? But thanks to this, and Seven Psychopaths, I have full confidence in Martin Mcdonagh to write and direct his way to the top in black comedy filmmaking. Can't wait for whatever comes next.
July 28, 2016
Because it's like a fucking fairy tale or something.
July 24, 2016
Equally bloody and hilarious, In Bruges is a brilliant dark comedy lead by a fantastic performance from Colin Farrell.
½ July 24, 2016
Inspiring, absorbing, intelligent and fresh. No more words needed.
July 18, 2016
Freaking brilliant. nothign is out of place, the dialogue is amazing and hilarious. The story never ends, with tons of twists and surpizes. I simply loved it.
½ July 13, 2016
Colin Farrell was fantastic in this dark-comedy, seamlessly switching between indignant childish squawking and guilt-ridden melancholia. The film was full of hilarious and preposterous dialogue, and its a fun ride even if you never really feel like you got anything once the credits begin.
July 7, 2016
Fantastic dark comedy about two hit men who must flee to the Belgian city of Bruges and deal with the fallout from a botched job.
Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell brilliantly portray two men who become quite close despite the fact that they are, in a sense, each other's foil. The absolute greatest quality of this movie is its masterful mixture of dark and deep seriousness with thought-provoking, witty humor. Combining real and sincere meaning with lightheartedness is not easy to pull off, but by centering the plot around some profound ideas, the movie becomes a powerful synthesis of these opposing concepts.
The film is also quite poetic and thematic without being pretentious or convoluted. The humor does not distract from the serious aspects of the movie, and it does not merely serve as comic relief. Rather, it cleverly focuses the audience's attention on the main messages of the movie. The plot itself is interesting enough for a great movie. Although it gets just a bit improbable in the end, the story is interesting and smart enough to make up for this slight stretch of reality.
Overall, the wonderful performances by Gleeson and Farrell, the engrossing story, and witty dark humor made this one of those great movies that left me breathless at the end--both because I was deeply captivated and because I had laughed so much.