In Bruges - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Bruges Reviews

May 7, 2018
Excellent script, excellent idea. Black surreal humour and irony are definitely the strongest aspects of this movie.
½ April 29, 2018
A wonderfully crafted black comedy. Hilarious, sad, violent, and potentially offensive, this gem doesn't hold back. At times, it seems like a vehicle for Colin Farrell to act like an angsty toddler, but then someone gets shot.
April 14, 2018
Really good for a comedy movie. Give it a shot!
½ April 12, 2018
Though it isn't something you haven't seen before, the script salvages the story through well-layered characters.
March 22, 2018
A pitch black comedy that leans a little too heavily on being seedy and offensive to lighten the tone (but the appearance of Fiennes in the third act gives the gloom the little spark of levity it needs).
March 17, 2018
A film that defines dark humor, 'In Bruges' will have you laughing at its hilarious, witty, and vulgar comedy. There is also an element of suspense as you have two hit men hiding in Bruges, Belgium because of a hit that went wrong. As an American watching this British film, I can appreciate the things that less censorship allows. I love watching Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson going back and forth saying sometimes ghastly things, but with hilarious effect. This is a dark comedy that you have to focus on because the jokes and lines are not fed to you with a spoon, like so many abysmal modern comedies. It also helps that it is filmed in beautiful Bruges, despite the film's obvious punchline in bashing the most well-preserved medieval city in Belgium. Add Ralph Fiennes and you have quite the treat.
½ March 14, 2018
Not a whole lot to this movie to this movie, but it is pretty charming. It has the qualities of something that a depressed Tarantino would make, and I don't mean that as a bad thing. It has the same smart vulgar dialogue and sense of fun throwaway violence, but there's a bit more nihilism and somber tone to it all that sets it apart. It's an enjoyable ride with two enjoyable characters who we really shouldn't enjoy as much as we do. It goes through horrible events with a casual tone that adds a sense of realism that makes it unique. I love films that can have two mortal enemies stop in the middle of a shootout to have a conversation on the logistics of where they'll continue shooting each other.
February 25, 2018
With a particular proper amount of dark humor and its respective violence, director Martin McDonagh finds himself accomplishing a compelling-yet-raw film about two assassins, with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson sharing a fine chemistry and stealing the show as the main characters, inside a well-written and appealingly directed flick that may not be action packed, as many British-like takes on the genre, that grows better only with the presence of Ralph Fiennes.
February 22, 2018
An original black comedy that successfully balances light and dark, surprising at every turn. Script is packed with feisty comedic punch, allowing leads to fully own their roles. Despite some gratuitous moments, it hangs together marvellously.
½ February 15, 2018
Great performances all around, sharply written and original story. Can be both brutally violent and touchingly sincere at times. The characters have depth and handle their moral dillemmas in a realistic way, which keeps audiences engaged in the film. This is only made more poignant by the aforementioned performaces. Ralph Fiennes' insanity is terrifying, hilarious and touching all at the same time. His late appearance as Harry helps the movie keep its momentum until the end, which is shocking yet fulfilling. Ken's (Gleeson) reserved and contemplative posistion in the film comes to a heartbreaking and shockingly creative climax in the final scenes. Ray (Farrell) views a world of crime and immorality through a profoundly innocent lens, the movie is essentially about a child killing another child. McDonaghs films tend to focus on the capacity of terrible people to change (their hope and belief that they can), and the movie ultimately has an uplifting message.
February 11, 2018
Really damn good and original
February 2, 2018
moved a bit slow in the beginning but towards the end it had me on the edge of my seat... don't miss this great thriller! and yeah... it also have great comedy and a satisfying ending which is rare in most of the movies they recommend me.
January 28, 2018
Full of witty, acid and funny dialogues, In Bruges is an outstanding debut for writer-diretor Martin McDonagh that boasts hilarious work from Colin Farrell.
January 20, 2018
Wrong film to feel good on a Saturday night with my beer & pizza! Good film though. Mix of humour, sadness & light action. Now I feel sad though.
½ January 12, 2018
Wonderfully twisted crime dramedy that manages to be both gut-wrenching & hilarious at the same time. The entire cast give career best performances, with Colin Farrell giving his best lead performance to date as the mournful Ray, who tries to deal with a horrible thing he's done, but sometimes in the craziest ways (he's got a thing for midgets). He's matched wonderfully by Bendan Gleeson, who genuinely believes in Ray, despite his past, while Ralph Fiennes is hilarious as their short-tempered mob boss. Behind the camera, writer/director Martin McDonagh crafts a truly original piece and you'll never sure where it's going. What's remarkable is that the dramatic moments are gut-wrenching (Ray did do a bad thing) while the comedic moments hilarious (an argument over a suicidal man with his supposed assassin over who gets to kill him is brilliant). Best of all, they fit together in the film perfectly and never feel out of place with each other. McDonagh also makes great use of the the Christmas holiday, as some pretty horrible stuff happens around the time humans should be sharing peace & joy. Overall, one of the best & most original crime films in recent years, and since it takes place during Christmas, and awesome addition to the holiday film rotation.
January 12, 2018
Oh my god just please watch this movie
January 11, 2018
One of the strangest and funniest movies I've ever seen.
½ January 10, 2018
I would be wary of anyone who likes this movie a little too much. There's so many effective elements that overall cohere into a gripping thriller, this film really does revel too much in its "Non PC" attitude. I get that, in many ways, it's aping Tarantino, not only in its quick-talking-hitman plot but also his use of offensive, taboo language. You really get the sense from Tarantino, though, that he at least *likes* the groups whose language he might offend - I don't get that from Martin McDonagh. It really just seems to be three straight white men doing things like asking midgets if they want to kill themselves because they're a midget.
The characters are very well fleshed out; good thing, because there's so much dialogue and so few actual characters. This makes the eventual climax legitimately pulse pounding and ultimately (mostly satisfying). Like I said, though, this movie is liable to turn a lot of people off with its misogynistic, racist, bigoted language, but if you're able to look past that, you will find a strong film.
December 30, 2017
What a great film. The synopsis does not do it justice. Very funny.
December 28, 2017
Top drawer firecracker dialogue led movie. Very funny.