In the Electric Mist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Electric Mist Reviews

½ August 3, 2016
Wow! That was dull. Not always sure what was being said nor what the story line was either.
Don't bother wasting your time.
July 29, 2016
Though the movie meandered and never really targeted a plot, I still liked this film. Perhaps it's the humidity that causes the South to feel as if the past still lingers with the present. If you've ever tromped through a Civil War battlefield, you know what I mean. I'm going to read the book as I feel so much of the story was left on the editing room floor.
June 26, 2016
Tommy Lee Jones stars as an alcoholic sheriff in this slow developing murder mystery. There is the backstory of a slave being murdered 40 years ago while in the present young strippers and hookers are being offed at a reckless pace. Neither story is interesting enough to carry the movie. Jones does a lot of sitting around talking to Confederate army ghosts for no reason. Eh.
½ April 25, 2016
The film was kinda generic in a way. To me it was ok. Which can be the worse place for a film to be. When it's just ok it becomes forgettable . Not bad or good enough to remember .Which is what this movie is.
A lot of talent ... just doesn't grab you into believing or caring about any of these characters .
Sorta has the fluff of a network crime drama.
Although the late great Levon Helm as a civil was captain was great . He's the only memorable thing to me about the movie. And he's in it 5 mins maybe. If you're looking for a good southern gorh film. Check out " The world made straight " or "Mud" both of which I enjoyed much more.
November 17, 2015
This is pretty terrible. This is one of those movies that makes you realize that great performances aren't just the work of great actors, but of great actors in partnership with a great director. Here we see some great actors delivering mediocre performances and some terrible actors delivering terrible performances.

The whole thing feels jerky and disjointed and superficial, like a Lifetime original movie's interpretation of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil or something. The writing is heavy-handed and unnatural. Very disappointing.
October 8, 2015
i thought it was a pretty good movie with tommy lee jones and john goodman
July 15, 2015
Was kinda meh..probably would be/is a better book.
April 30, 2015
An off-kilter modern-day film noir that fails to hit the target despite the brilliant Tommy Lee Jones in the driving seat, good supporting cast, and decent production values.What is most frustrating about this miss-step though is the fact it takes its inspiration from all those great crime thrillers of the post war years, yet instead of taking a fresh spin on them it copies the lesser qualities with a slacker pacing that negatively effected certain films of that era without a great deal of the better elements. When even Lee Jones struggles to spark much interest in what is going on you just know things aren't quite right here. This though isn't a bad film it just really needed more guts and quality on the page.
½ April 13, 2015
Bad narration, seemingly lifted straight from the novel's prose (don't do that, filmmakers), some very strange editing choices. There are a lot of really nice, evocative scenes and images (and performances, especially from Jones who sells a potential clichť of a character), but the whole thing seems to be shabbily glued together, with the tasks of making the plot seem compelling and the characters interesting apparently left as an afterthought. For me it got by on mood, but it has a lot of problems. (Also, I admit I only watched this because I thought the title was cool.)
February 6, 2015
Directed by Bertrand Tavernier (Round Midnight (1985), Life and Nothing But (1989) and The Bait (1995)), and based on the 1993 book In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead by James Lee Burke, the book was the 6th in Burke's Dave Robicheaux series, the character had been done for the screen before in Heaven's Prisoners (1995), this is a dark piece of Southern Gothic, full of damaged souls. In Iberia Parish, Louisiana. Detective Dave Robicheaux (Tommy Lee Jones) has just arrested Hollywood stars Elrod Sykes (Peter Sarsgaard) and his girlfriend Kelly Drummond (Kelly Macdonald) for drink driving. Elrod tells Dave about a decaying body they found. Dave investigates further, and finds there are similarities to previous murders gone before. All fingers point to Mafia associate Julie "Baby Feet" Balboni (John Goodman), who claims not to know anything. Meanwhile, Dave investigates the film production being made nearby that Elrod and Kelly are in. Dave interviews the film's producer Michael Goldman (John Sayles), who is vague with details. It's a good murder mystery, and it benefits from having a good setting in the exotic landscape of Southern Louisiana, it has a good ensemble case as well and this should have been given more recognition than it did, it went straight to DVD in America, where it was recut heavily, which is a sad shame really.
January 2, 2015
A drama movie with Tommy Lee Jones in the main role and he seems to like make these kind of flicks. He plays a detective/cop in a small town where murdered girls are found and must investigate the whole thing.. John Goodman have a smaller part aswell as the local mobster. The movie are well made with nothing negative to talk about really. Its just an average flick and worth seeing atleast one time.
October 18, 2014
Well-executed but dramatically foggy, contempo film noir ‚??In the Electric Mist,‚?? helmer Bertrand Tavernier‚??s first U.S. production, reps a moderate disappointment.¬†
September 21, 2014
Okay detective flick with a bayou flavor but the random confederate ghosts/hallucinations weren't needed.
½ June 27, 2014
Mildly entertaining with a frustrating storyline that seems to lack coherence ; I don't recommend this film unless you have an affinity for all things Louisiana and even then it's nearly unbearable like Louisiana heat !
½ June 16, 2014
Tommy Lee Jones performance is superb and the Southern US atmosphere is really genuine but the story is just made overcomplicated and disappointing.
June 12, 2014
A Solid Crime Drama, With A Good Cast. In The Electric Mist Follows Detective Dave Robicheaux (Tommy Lee Jones), Who Is Trying To Catch A Murderer Praying On Young Women. Meanwhile Dave Has A Run In With Hollywood Star Elrod Syks (Peter Sarasgaard), Who Is In Town Shooting A New Movie Financed By Local Crime Boss "Baby Feet" Balboni (John Goodman). Sykes Tells Dave About A Body He Seen Lying In The Swamp. The Discovery Brings Memories Hurtling Out Of Dave's Past And It Comes To Mind That Both Cases May Be Linked. This Film Is Excellently Directed, With A Good Script And Good Plot. Tommy Lee Jones & John Goodman Are Excellent In Their Roles. But It's The Film's Slow Pace Which Let's It Down As There's Not A Lot Of Atmospheric Scenes, Where Some Are Needed. The Overall Review However Is That This Is An Entertaining Crime Drama, & One I Would Definitely Recommend.
Jim P.
½ June 5, 2014
It was a good movie that I enjoyed. It had a well chosen cast. It was very suspenseful, and kept me interested throughout the entire film.

Tommy Lee Jones stars as a New Orleans police detective, who's investigating a bunch of murders alongside this he struggles with his sanity and fights his past alcohol addiction as he digs deeper into the case.

It has a very good supporting cast including John Goodman, Ned Beatty, and Mary Steenburgen as Beatty's onscreen wife. 5/27/14
April 13, 2014
Found this on Netflix and really enjoyed our. Love Tommy Lee Jones & both Phyllis & I are wondering how we missed this one when it came out.
February 23, 2014
Crime movie following the endeavours of Louisiana detective Dave Robicheaux, based in the novel by the same title of James Lee Burke. Dave is indeed a busy sheriff as he has to deal with corrupt businessmen, the discovery of a long dead negro corpse, the violent death of two local prostitutes and the colourful production crew of a new movie that is being shot in his town, Iberia, still torn in the aftermath of Katrina.
Dave has to navigate through a maze of half truths and innuendos while struggling with his personal life: he is a recovering alcoholic, he has narrowly survived two attempts of assassination and occasionally has visions of him having conversations with a confederate officer, General Hood, which offers him advice and tries to help him in his quest to discover the guilty part in this complex plot.
I really like detective films and this one is not bad at all, it is a bit hard sometimes to follow all the threads of the story especially when it is a fast paced movie and characters have that strong southern accent. But indeed has all the right elements a clever and charismatic detective, an apparently unsolvable mystery and the unhelpful town people. The characters are a bit flat without much development but indeed the plot didn't require it.
½ February 13, 2014
IN THE ELECTRIC MIST is a near-perfect neo-noir anchored by a solid, yet restrained, performance by Tommy Lee Jones. Ever since I heard about this, I wanted to see it and boy was I surprised. It exceeded my expectations greatly. The story, put simply, is about a New Orleans detective Dave Robicheaux (Jones) who is investigating the murder of a prostitute and also looking into the 40-year-old murder of a black man who was recently found in a swamp. Along the way he ends up getting into situations that drag him further into Louisana's deep dark secrets and past, uncovers some things that other people would rather forget and has some surreal encounters with a Confederate general. That last bit really caught me off-guard, and also calls into the question the mental state of Robicheaux, who also serves as the film's narrator. I really liked the way that the filmmakers play around with the concept of reality in this movie, because it adds some depth to a fairly standard story and it also works in the thematic context of the story itself. There were also some great supporting performances given by John Goodman, as a crime boss who is also investing in a movie being shot there, Peter Sarsgaard as actor in that movie, as well as Mary Steenburgen (Robicheaux's wife), Kelly MacDonald, Buddy Guy and Levon Helm. Each of these actors has moments in the film where they can show off their acting ability, and not a moment is wasted with them. Also of note is the stunning soundtrack, which is full of great blues tunes and native Cajun folk songs which really bring out and accentuate the Louisiana culture on display. The score also helps to establish and maintain the palpable dramatic tension as well as give some shades of melancholy which are also personified in Jones' weathered detective character. If there was one fault I could find with the movie, it's a third act twist which is a bit predictable and cliche, but fortunately it's resolved rather quickly. Overall, the real draw is the strong central performance by Tommy Lee Jones who does a great job of portraying a seasoned, hard-boiled detective with some flaws, but a good sense of right and wrong. I also especially liked the idea of transplanting the hard-boiled detective story into post-Katrina New Orleans. Highly recommended viewing.