In the Loop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Loop Reviews

½ March 17, 2018
A rewarding Netflix find for me, In the Loop provides hilarious political humor with witty and unforgivingly crass dialogue. This British comedy is refreshing compared recent American efforts which seem to heavily rely on sex and drugs to get source material. This film also gets me more excited about the next season of Doctor Who because of the performance of Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker. Capaldi is domineering, vulgar, and totally angry as Tucker but he is the one that provides the most laughs and really is the one that drives the plot.
½ December 26, 2017
Calling this a comedy is playing pretty fast and loose with your adjectives. Satirical?....yes,....intelligent?....yes,......but funny?......se vriously,...if you laughed out loud at this anti-comedy then you should consider getting some kind of neurological therapy. It quite possibly the unfunniest "comedy" I've ever seen in my entire life. A part of me died while I waited patiently for one single heartfelt laugh. I recommend this to people I don't like.
November 14, 2017
Pretty funny for a political satire
August 8, 2017
A dark yet humourous satire on the political scheming's of both sides of the Atlantic, pushing desperately for something that exists because, it has to exist. Goes to show how the colourful use of language doesn't have to be a sign of lacking intelligence.
July 6, 2017
Very, very, very dark humor will make you laugh and feel disgusted at the same time. Excellent.
½ July 4, 2017
Exceptional movie about politics in the UK. So fast paced that I had to watch it again to catch all of the dialog. A lot of cursing. A lot of insults. Very funny. One of my favorite movies.
½ June 26, 2017
Unless you're British, you'll need to watch this with subtitles, but watch it you should. 'In the Loop' is a quintessentially British comedy about the dense bureaucratic maneuverings behind war.
June 25, 2017
A funny movie for smart people.
FiLmCrAzY
½ May 22, 2017
Peter Capaldi makes this film Just as he did in the series! It's very British and I love it! Funny, entertaining and enjoyable!
½ February 12, 2017
Genius. Absolutely classic. The dialogue is so quick fire that when I watched it a second time, it was like watching another version.
January 2, 2017
One of the funniest movies of the late 00s. This is a scathingly brilliant satire of what supposedly goes on within the American and British governments during war time. It pulls no punches and it keeps you laughing all the way through.

I was unaware at first that the movie is based off of the British television series The Thick of It. But don't worry, you don't need to know the show to understand the movie. The commentary is biting, the mockumentary feel allows for some excellent comedy, and the performances (my personal favorite being James Gandolfini as General Miller) make this a fantastic comedic gem that is worth many viewings.
½ December 5, 2016
A hilarious political satire with a witty dialogue and a deliciously British sense of humor that I imagine is not for everyone - and Peter Capaldi is priceless and steals the show every time he appears, swearing insanely and shouting the f-word to everyone.
November 25, 2016
Ridiculously clever and eternally pertinent.
October 25, 2016
Brilliant. Wag the Dog with British timing. No documentary of U.S/U.K politics behind a march to war better captures its sleazy rewriting of facts and history better than this fast, dark and offensive comedy.
½ October 7, 2016
"In the Loop" is a sharp, funny, potty-mouthed political satire.
September 6, 2016
Crazy funny comedy you would love if you like Veep. It is fast and springy dialogues with wit and sharpness. It requires constant attention to understand but if you get it, you can't help laugh out loud multiple times! A must watch for political comedy enthusiasts.
½ July 31, 2016
New approach for writing reviews: One economical paragraph, no plot description. RT's comparison of In the Loop to Dr. Strangelove is fitting in the similar deconstruction of professional politics into childlike name-calling, bickering, and whining. Rather than using archetypes to create characters, In the Loop arranges a vast web of vital, quirky office holders for the tense situation of a war between the U.S./U.K. and the Middle East. The details of such are not too specific, a grateful choice for heightening the timelessness of the comedy, but In the Loop sharply pokes fun at the frighteningly ridiculous choices made during the Iraq war. The bulk of the film's humour is seeing the quirks we recognize in our own politicians, cranked to maximum levels of lunacy. Cabinet minister Simon Foster (Tom Hollander) is a publicity trainwreck, director of communications Malcolm Tucker (Peter Capaldi) seems not to have lived a day where he did not throw a profanity-laced tantrum, and various characters who stand accused defend themselves in manners not much sillier than what we might hear in actual interviews. It's sharp, it's funny, it's practically what I have seen for all of my life. At the same time, it's not what I usually see. The mingling of the cast opens characters to great vulnerability, even if they are not transparent. We see politicians as wild animals, acting on instinct to protect themselves before anyone else. That may have been what you imagined politicians to act like, and In the Loop will certainly reinstate that vision. Politically intelligent, not intellectual, and non-partisan laughs, for less than two hours of your time.
½ May 3, 2016
Made Me LoL out loud a few time, enjoyed the swearing and now i wanna watch the thick of it. I hope it's like this. was the bastardised side of politics, big ups.
½ March 29, 2016
Modern day Dr. Strangelove... type political-war satire which is as intelligent and funny as its dose of expletives

Simon Foster (Tom Hollander) a British Minister gets embroiled into a media circus after making a controversial statement on war. While every single politician and their aides have a different agenda on their minds, rest is a showdown comprising of bullying, canniness, betrayal and righteousness.

First thing to admire is its script - that is so water-tight in terms of clarity, pace and development. Next is the spontaneous work by relatively unknown actors who pitch in with their own persona even though sometimes the script makes them do similar things as others. There are some good moments like the one where the roles played by James Gandolfini and Mimi Kennedy sit in a nursery and do war plans using a toy calculator. However it gets a little repetitive and incomprehensible when trying to process each character's utter dislike with each other and this also minimizes its reflection on the real world.

A hilarious romp but something says that it also can be easily forgotten.
February 28, 2016
In the Loop is the kind of movie that should be shown 100 times a month on HBO because it's so damn quotable. The movie parodies the quest for war from numerous sides and the few who desire to stop it. The flick is written in a mocking tone that's delightfully directed by Armando Iannucci. The funny part is I can see George W. Bush starting the Irag War as haphazardly as this movie portrays, so perhaps it is also based on a true story.

Wonderfully acted from an ensemble cast that includes Steve Coogan, James Gandolfini and Mimi Kennedy. A delightful treat that will be better the more you watch it.