Inch'Allah - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inch'Allah Reviews

July 16, 2016
Adopting a naturalistic approach to depict the difficult reality of that place, this solid drama is complex enough to be worth checking out, centered on a woman who gets voluntarily caught up in a war that is not hers and driven by tragic circumstances to a drastic decision.
½ May 12, 2015
In short: Well acted and shot, but lacking a narrative. It leaves the mere impression of a guided tour through Israeli border areas and refugee camps

I saw this film at the Berlinale 2013 film festival, where is was part of the Panorama section. My overall impression when leaving the theater was that it had the effect on me as if it was a guided tour through the refugee camps and Israeli border areas. We knew in the abstract sense about checkpoints in between to let people travel from one side to the other, the soldiers who are assigned to guard those border posts, people wanting to pass being humiliated, assaults in public places by for instance suicide bombers, and the existence of refugee camps. For many years this is and remains newspaper and TV material.

We observe a world that is very different from our quiet and reasonably safe lives. We implicitly see and understand the aftermath of assaults, inevitably leading to posting guards and ID checks in public places, augmented with random house searches. What most impressed me were armed people all around carrying large machine guns, also in the role of an average bus passenger wanting to get from A to B, and that no one seems to find those arms in public places disconcerting.

It was a good idea to make the woman doctor (Chloe) into a single reference point to provide for some skeleton story line, otherwise this film would be no more than loose fragments (like holiday photo's) of how people live there. There was no real narrative that I could recognize as such, which made me wonder in the beginning what it was all about. We see an Israeli woman (Ava) hating her job guarding one of the checkpoints. We see a women (Rand) sifting through the rubbish dump, but does not want a bed lying there because "settlers have (bleep) F**ked in it". We see Chloe arranging a day pass that allows a family to visit their former house, now only visible as a ruin. And so on. Chloe is the one linking these persons together, hence my idea that a guided tour was the prime purpose of this film.

Of course, for Chloe as a white doctor and without roots on either side, it is relatively easy to travel around. And as a doctor, she helps people by definition with their problems. But do not think that people are thankful for her efforts. She remains an outsider in spite of her doing good things on both sides. In the end, for example, after having failed to rescue a newborn baby (not her fault), the mother blames her for being too late and thus causing the death of her child. The mother also became abusive and called her all sorts of nasty names, like whore, all of which was very undeserved given the circumstances.

All in all, this movie was not as involving for me as could have been. Maybe I expected too much, being prejudiced by the fact that it received 3rd prize for the Berlinale Panorama audience award. It apparently was able to arouse the interest of a significant number of viewers. However, I was not that much impressed, in spite of the superb acting performances and revealing close-by shots of the local settings. I also think that the film presupposed too much background information from the audience, about the long standing issues around Israeli, Palestinians, settlers and refugee camps. Plus that I have had problems for many many years to take a stand in this controversy. But I obviously am an exception and alone in this.
March 21, 2015
Beautiful and heart wrenching movie that clearly shows the pain on both sides and that violence only leads to more violence. Both the Israelis and Palestinians tell the Canadian doctor that it is not her war but the conflict affects all of us and we all have to work together to find a way to end the cycle of violence. If I had to live in Palestine I might just lose it too.
April 18, 2014
a moving story that shows some of the travesty that is allowed to happen there. also surprisingly seems to side with the Palestinians
½ February 25, 2014
Evelyne Brochu shines in Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette's powerful drama about Chloe, a young Canadian doctor who finds herself torn while working in the middle of the Middle-Eastern conflict.

Chloe lives in Israel and is good friends with her roommate Ava, a young Israeli Soldier. Every morning she crosses over to Palestine, where she works in a volunteer clinic. When Chloe befriends a Palestinian family, she ends up getting personally involved with the conflict. Experiencing allegiance with both sides, the futility and simple impossibility of the situation get to her; the more she is immersed in the war, the greater her psychological deconstruction.

"Inch'Allah" is a fearless, balanced and artistically accomplished analysis of an immensely complex issue. Its approach is deeply personal; the narrative conveys internal struggle that reflects political turmoil. Yet Barbeau-Lavette is direct above all else, even if there are no hollow attempts of providing answers. In its hopelessness, "Inch'Allah" might seem too aimless as a piece of cinema, but its ambition and honesty give it power beyond that of a simple parable. The subject matter is anything but simple, and the movie honors and reflects this beautifully.
February 12, 2014
Inch'Allah tries hard, and serves up a few moments of compelling specificity, but for the most part, it has little to offer beyond good intentions. For a subject this daunting and knotty, that just isn't enough.
½ November 23, 2013
I didn't quite understand this film. It may show my ignorance but I just don't have that kind of knowledge to grasp all the meaning at a go without any further explanation. The woman's complete change of mind was rather sudden and not very convincing.
September 20, 2013
HIFF harvest. I think my quota for Palestinian misery is full for a while. Heartbreaking. Made me cry, and laugh too. Just so depressing, on multiple levels.
September 2, 2013
Yes, both sides are right, and both sides are wrong. Nothing new to add here, except some purposeful confusion on what is going on. I was most impressed that the main character could speak so many languages -- which is probably not the best endorsement.
½ July 13, 2013
Jannah.. is not for people who commits suicide..
June 29, 2013
An interesting look into what life is like in that part of the world. Dialogue a bit slow.
April 22, 2013
Exceedingly rare, but it's a film that shows the truth of what is going on in Israel/Palestine. Now for the faint of heart- The brutality waged against the Palestinian people goes unmatched in history. Not Hollywood propaganda like "Exodus." This film shows a race that has been mutilated and tortured, beyond all recognition.
March 17, 2013
Film de type documentaire sur la vie en Palestine, sans plus, aucune histoire conductrice.
½ February 26, 2013
Barbeau-Lavalette a un talent fou. Nul doute. Ici le projet est grand et ambitieux... Par contre à part dans le dernier trente minutes du film j'ai l'impression qu'elle reste à la surface des émotions. Je n'ai jamais vraiment entré dans le film...... Excellente interprétation d'Évelyne Brochu. Très bon film tout de même.
January 31, 2013
An exquisitely made film about life in Palestine/Israel. Perspectives were shown from the views of an Israeli military woman, a Palestinian pregnant mother and her family, as well as a French-Canadian doctor working at a UN hospital for women in Palestine.

Although the topic of the Arab/Israeli conflict has been beaten to death in every form of media, this movie provides a surprisingly fresh addition. Focusing more on the personal experience between individuals involved in the conflict, and aiming to connect the audience emotionally with all sides, it brings up interesting questions about the purpose of war, the role each human being has in protecting his fellow man, and what solutions can be brought to the table. In regards to the last question, the film would seem to suggest very convincingly, that nothing short of complete, true, and loving unity between these two peoples can end the conflict. No amount of temporary treaties or aggression (in the form of revenge or otherwise) can succeed in its place.

Acting was above par across the board, and camera style was excellent. An incredible ending will leave you somber.
January 13, 2013
Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette a réussit a humaniser les gestes les plus atroces, aucun partie pris juste une guerre qu'on regarde les bras croisés.
October 29, 2012
Un scénario de béton en aucun cas moralisateur. L'interprétation d'Évelyne Brochu est subtile et sans faille. Son personnage est habité, son regard, chargé. Touchant et troublant, du très bon cinéma québécois.
½ October 28, 2012
Taken from IMDB :"Chloe is a young Canadian doctor who divides her time between Ramallah, where she works with the Red Crescent, and Jerusalem, where she lives next door to her friend Ava, a young Israeli soldier. Increasingly sensitive to the conflict, Chloe goes daily through the checkpoint between the two cities to get to the refugee camp where she monitors the pregnancies of young women. As she becomes friends with Rand, one of her patients, Chloe learns more about life in the occupied territories and gets to spend some time with Rand's family. Torn between the two sides of the conflict, Chloe tries as best she can to build bridges between her friends but suffers from remaining a perpetual foreigner to both sides. Following up her acclaimed debut-feature Le ring, filmmaker Anais Barbeau-Lavalette delivers with Inch'Allah the moving tale a young woman's encounter with war and its everyday life. Avoiding any political agenda, Chloe's story questions how one can internalize a foreign conflict without incurring any scars of their own"

Review : The movie is pretty tough and puts in perspective the actual conditions that Palestenians and Israelis live every day. The Story is pretty interesting showing a domino effect but i won't say more ....:)