Innerspace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Innerspace Reviews

August 19, 2017
If you can't find something to enjoy in this movie, you are too serious! Great fun, great characters and great laughs!
½ August 12, 2017
You know, I hate to start off with this, but if I were to compile a list of the most boring actors alive, Dennis Quaid would have to be on that list. I'll never say the guy is a bad actor, he was perfectly fine and even somewhat charismatic here. He's serviceable, he gets the job done if you need him to. But, in my opinion, Mr. Quaid has spent a lot of his filmography just looking bored, barely emoting and looking like he'd rather be anywhere else than where he is at that point in time. I watched Vantage Point, in which he was one of the leads, but that film was so fast paced and intense that you never got a sense of how boring he is because the film jumped from character to character. But, I digress, I've just never been a big fan of the guy. I used to dread watching his films, but it's been such a long time since I've seen him (not counting Vantage Point) that I'm not bothered by it. I'd be bothered by it if every movie I saw had him in it. That's neither here nor there, let's move on to the flick, shall we? I like Joe Dante, I've certainly enjoyed a good percentage of his movies. Not The Hole, though, that movie is terrible. This movie has a completely silly and over-the-top concept and they, certainly make the most use of that as they possibly can. Is the movie good??? Eh, I don't know if I would go that far. There's certainly a lot of parts of this film that are very entertaining, for sure, like a lot of the early stuff in the build up to Tuck, who's been miniaturized as part of this experiment, being injected into Jack's buttocks instead of a lab rabbit. A lot of the stuff after Jack starts hearing Tuck's voice in his heads is fun as well, with Martin Short believing that he is being possessed by the devil or something. All this is fun and Martin Short gives a good performance. Martin Short has a comedic style that's as subtle as a nuclear blast, but he's still good at what he does and he gets to showcase that here. I'll be completely honest, I literally had no idea Martin Short was in this movie. I had never seen it before nor did I really know what it was about. I know, I know, this is one of my failings as a film nerd. I think that, honestly, part of the problem with the movie is that the novelty of the concept wears out fairly quickly. Don't get me wrong, the film is certainly silly and self-aware enough to make it easy entertainment, for the most part, but I also think it's a concept that uses a lot of its best concepts early on and everything else after that is just peaks and valleys. Another major problem is the fact that this film is like, seriously, 1 hour and 56 minutes long without credits. I don't think there's any way that a film with a concept as this should have gone longer than 90-95 minutes. The film does not have enough content to justify its length and, quite frankly, I have no idea why Scrimshaw and his people wanted the miniaturization chips to begin with. They do an absolutely terrible job of explaining their motivations. Maybe their motivations weren't integral to the plot, but they're trying to kill Jack and take the chip that is inside him with Tuck, so the least you could do is give us a legitimate reason that they're doing this. There's a good number of scenes that, honestly, feel like padding. Like the beginning of the whole film. I understand that you had to establish Tuck's personality, but I believe it could have been done without that whole rigmarole at the beginning. That's not the only one, but that's the first one that comes to mind. While, again, the character of the Cowboy is essential to one scene, getting from the moment where Lydia meets the Cowboy at the party to when Jack assumes the Cowboy's identity for the deal with Scrimshaw takes way too fucking long. It stops the movie dead in its tracks. And the whole dinner scene with Jack, having his face altered by Tuck to look like the Cowboy, goes nowhere to me. That's just two but, again, I feel like there's much more where that came from. I honestly do believe that you could have cut off 20 minutes off this movie and it would have been so much better, the flow would have been tighter and there, obviously, wouldn't have been as much dead time. They certainly do pick it back up again in the climax, but I feared that it was too little too late by this point. There was nothing they could have done by that point to make this a good movie. I don't know what else I can say. The stuff on the inside of Jack's body is well done and it, actually, won an Oscar for Best Visual Effects. That'll show you how far visual effects have come since this film's release 30 years ago. I don't know what else I can say about this movie. Good performances from Martin Short, Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan aside, the film's flaws are way too obvious to keep me from truly enjoying this movie. Some of the film's scenes being longer than they should have been killed any chance this had of being good. It's not bad, it's sporadically entertaining for sure, but there's no reason I can recommend this Joe Dante movie when he's clearly done much better like both Gremlins movies, The 'Burbs, Explorers. Even The Howling, which I gave the same rating as this one (on Flixster at least), is better. Not by much, but it's better. This misses the mark, to be honest, but it's still perfectly decent.
½ August 3, 2017
Despite a frustrating ending that seems to attempt to set up a sequel that would never come, this is still a very good film (I'd go so far as to say it's kind of great). A fun, wacky 80's buddy adventure comedy that shows Dennis Quaid and Martin Short in some of their best roles. It also makes good use of some miniature/practical effects. Much better than I expected it to be. Definitely recommended.
July 9, 2017
Martin Short is hilarious and few are as gifted in physical comedy. This sci-fi comedy classic team Short up with the always wonderful Meg Ryan and Randy Quaid's brother Dennis, whom married Meg soon after this movies. 30 years later and it still thrills me and puts a smile on my face.
May 10, 2017
a little cheesy, but, still a fun family adventure
½ April 30, 2017
4/30/2017 (2): A decent movie, but I was hoping for much more comedy from this plot and cast.
½ February 15, 2017
Still great.
Everyone in the cast is at their finest. Meg Ryan is hot.
½ February 5, 2017
With an excellent cast, a fun plot and some great special effects (for the most part) - this science fiction, action, comedy has a lot to recommend it. It's not perfect but it's easily good enough for the 3 and a half stars it gets here.
January 5, 2017
Slow start but gets good starting the moment the three protagonists (Ryan, Quaid and Short) start working together.
November 11, 2016
Ah yes , the spaceship into the body of Putter ...Funny , nice adventure ! SOMVIDEO
October 19, 2016
After years it's still watchable but not that funny.
September 25, 2016
Fun, Fun, Fun and overacting is exactly what this movie needs and is. Groundbreaking technology make this great even today.
½ August 15, 2016
A fast-paced pastiche of 'shrinking' in scifi, an alcoholic Navy pilot gets trapped in the body of a loser Safeway clerk. More of an action-adventure comedy than anything else, it's entertaining without being much more.
½ July 25, 2016
Watch this classic 80s scifi
June 11, 2016
A really good movie. I remember watching it way back in the day and it was one of my favorites. It's a little long though. That would be my only complaint.
March 5, 2016
From a fresh original story to special effects, Innerspace is a 80s underrated film
½ March 2, 2016
A fun movie that is the perfect mix of science fiction and comedy. Martin Short and Dennis Quaid are entertaining together, and make a good team. (First and only full viewing - In my early twenties)
½ February 3, 2016
It runs maybe twenty minutes too long, but it's fun almost the whole way through.
½ December 28, 2015
Despite a few scenes where Martin Short goes a bit over the top, I really enjoyed watching this. A good movie from the 80's that is worth seeing if you haven't already.
October 30, 2015
Classic, funny, suprisingly rude and more than a little stupid. pure 80s entertainment