Interview with the Vampire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Interview with the Vampire Reviews

September 18, 2017
What if a man was so distraught and depressed with his life that he decided to extend it indefinitely? That?s the moronic question that begins this tale of vampires in America. The mere premise set up at the beginning was so befuddling to me that I didn?t even know if I could tolerate watching any further. There was some interesting stuff going on when Kirsten Dunst was brought into the story, and the undertone of homosexuality in the vampire relationships was something they could have used to great effect. So I paid attention but the movie continued to make strange and frustrating choices. The trip to Paris was perhaps the most infuriating section of the film, to the point that I almost gave up on it altogether. I started to get very confused over what it took to kill a vampire because it seemed their rules were all over the place and undefined. By the time it reached the final scenes I was begging for it to end. The framing device didn?t even have a logical reason for being there, and also ends in an unsatisfying fashion. I think there were elements of Interview with the Vampire that had some potential, but it didn?t live up to it?s potential at all.
½ September 7, 2017
Incredibly well done art piece in vampire lore.
August 1, 2017
Best vampire film I have ever seen. It also came out the year I was born. Brad Pitt plays a fantastic role in this film even though I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan he plays a good role has Brad's vampire friend. I would say that film tackles issue like friendship, love and even envy. I film sorry for the little girl who gets bitten because wants a child. She soon realise she will never grown into a fully grown adult. I give this 5/5
July 21, 2017
It's interesting at points, but hasn't aged well.
May 4, 2017
Personalmente opino que esta película es perfecta... Lo tiene todo! Una mística espectacular que sumerge a cualquier escéptico en la credibilidad absoluta.
La imposible y poco clichè historia de amor que hay detrás me ha dejado siempre exultante, cada vez que veo esta joya cinematográfica, y las actuaciones de Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise y de todo el reparto son tremendas.
April 6, 2017
"Interview with the Vampire" is one of the best movies of the genre, in addition to approaching the vampires' naturalness in a different way, it still has luxurious costumes and production design. It may have some problems, but it's definitely worth it because of Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Kirsten Dunst.
March 12, 2017
Vampires are definitely out of my taste but this movie is amazing!
February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by Anne Rice. A vampire (Pitt) tells his epic life story: love, betrayal, loneliness, and hunger.
February 4, 2017
My favourite film of all time. A flawless, genius film. I've seen it loads of times and it's still awesome. 61% RT? That's hilarious.
January 20, 2017
Tom Cruise is Brilliant! Brad Pitt plays the tortured undead soul so well! Entertaining and Thrilling even after 20 years.
January 15, 2017
Visually appealing and very interesting.
January 10, 2017
it's still one of my favorite movies of all time a true classic
½ January 7, 2017
Fascinating performance by Tom Cruise, rich atmosphere and set-pieces make this movie quite enjoyable.
½ January 4, 2017
a must seee for all Vampire fans
½ December 16, 2016
76%
Saw this on 16/12/16
Fuck Twilight, this is a real vampire film with quite a lot of dark thrills, but the film fails to achieve what it ultimately aims for due to excessive tonal shifts in the third act. The cast does what they can with whatever is provided to them.
December 11, 2016
While the film is unrealistic and cheap, the cast tries to achieve perfection, but they fall short.
½ November 20, 2016
This is a metaphor for the American Civil War. Louis is the noble Northerner - resisting the urge to sustain himself on the blood of his fellow man. Lestat is the slave-holding Southerner - unashamed in his exploitation of men.
October 30, 2016
This film is a 7.5/10. Although Brad Pitt is well cast in his role, I am not certain that Tom Cruise is. A more sinister and better actor would have been more appropriately cast.

This is a case where the story itself carries the film. In other words, this film adaptation of a novel is weaker than its source material. The acting could have been improved, but the film is unique and intriguing enough in itself, to make this a good movie.

The sets and makeup are appropriate. There is just the right amount of gore to prevent this from being a modern "horror" film, and rather in the category of "suspense".
October 17, 2016
While some have misgivings with casting or tacky script and dialogue, the fascinating narrative and gothic tones definitely have their appeal. While some of the emotional appeal and character vulnerability is lost from book to screen, this film definitely finds its niche and works well as a period piece and a drama - not the horror flick that some expect.