Inventing the Abbotts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inventing the Abbotts Reviews

September 14, 2016
Easily one of the most underrated movies of the 90's. Always thought this was a well-regarded movie, but just looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and critics / audiences hated it. I guess they just weren't in the mood for it, which is lame, because it's really good. Well acted, beautiful, and told economically. What more can you want?
½ August 8, 2016
A bit slow paced but the characters are interesting.
March 15, 2016
This is one of the best romantic dramas of the 90;s I put it up with Good Will Hunting, and A River Runs Through It, legends of the fall. The actors are all in the beginning of their careers and they are stunning.
February 25, 2016
A forgotten little film that features some really good acting but moves along a bit too slow and unfocused to be a really good film. I liked it enough, but it could've been a lot better.
January 10, 2016
Boring. This whole movie could have been done in a fifteen minute skit.
½ March 20, 2015
Better than expected. A fucked up love story.
January 31, 2015
Not a very piercing story, just normal drama story. I just like the 50s theme to it.
January 6, 2015
Jennifer Connelly is wonderful. Good writing. This film survives the awful Joaquin Phonix.
MANUGINO
June 6, 2014
Love no matter what.

Good Film! I found this to be a sweet and emotional film. The story takes you back in time, and brilliantly captures the attitudes and prejudices of small town life. Every actor in this film gives such a genuine performance that you can't help being sucked into their world, a world where what is said by the rich can either save or condemn as they see fit. Each location used in the film leaves an imprint on you, from the garage where the brothers always unite over a game of ping-pong to the romance of the abandoned farm where the sparks of love really begin to fly. "Inventing the Abbotts" is a coming of age story that captures the awkwardness of adolescence without all the cheese that so often pervades the genre. It is a tale of love and lust, rich and poor, pure and simple. All in all, "Inventing the Abbotts" is a splendid movie that *somehow* teaches you to love "no matter what".

Set in the 1950s, Inventing the Abbotts is a dramatic look at the life of two boys from the wrong side of the tracks and their interaction with the three daughters of local aristocrat Lloyd Abbott. The boys, Jacey and Doug Holt, have only three things in common: their family, table tennis and chasing the beautiful Abbott sisters. Their father, a reckless risk-taker, lost his life through a wager with Lloyd Abbott, his then business partner.
May 3, 2014
I thought this was a really good film.
April 13, 2013
I remember seeing this when it came out. LOVE this movie. Great cast - plus I love period pieces. Billy Crudup is also just SO sexy. Where did he go?
April 1, 2013
good movie with a goo dplot about small town life and what truly is hidden below the surface of people's lives. yeah more of a little movie and wouldnt win any awards but worth watching. joaquin is quite charming. troubled at times but charming.
February 24, 2013
Rich girls, poor boys, sex, lies and miserable lives. Not bad in all, good performances by the then-new and upcoming cast. Small town living.... equals to melodrama. nothing more.
February 6, 2013
A solid screenplay and cast combine to make this undeniable 90s classic drama.
January 11, 2013
love this movie! Written well and thought provoking!
½ September 20, 2012
Damn this movie lumber's along cautiously...as far as inventing goes, its story is still in the planning stages and has no hope for a Patent...it's a must miss.
August 28, 2012
Oh how I like Juaquin.
½ August 8, 2012
great i loved this movie
July 30, 2012
Good movie, but very slow paced.
April 11, 2012
amazing. i love liv tyler