It's Kind of a Funny Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's Kind of a Funny Story Reviews

December 4, 2016
One of those rare movies that does an apt justice to the title and its obvious that its title isn't something great to live up to. Again I wouldn't write it off as just another coming of age stories as it has its own style, theme and is backed by good performances from its talented cast. At a time when Zach Galifianakis has become monotonous in his goofball comedy, this for him was a gem of an opportunity where he does his best within the confines of the limited scope of its script.

Craig (Keir Gilchrist) is a depressed teenager who is not very sure on what makes him feel like that. While he keeps having a recurring dream about killing himself, one night it becomes quite intense that he commits himself to a psych ward for treatment. He has a typical middle-class family who are loving, caring and also slightly pushy for his academic achievements. Craig is infatuated with Nia (Zoe Kravitz) who is his best friend's girlfriend which is part of his problem. During his stay he meets Bobby (Zach Galifianakis) who looks normal than others but going through a rough patch which is a combination of divorce, losing child custody and being homeless. The rest is about how he handles his time in the ward, realizing his potential and also helps others recover during the process.

Best part of the movie is its breezy screenplay - it is neither innovative nor sticking to a familiar routine. Next is to include seasoned actors like Viola Davis as Dr. Minerva who brings the necessity intensity and character realization through simplicity. Zack's turnaround role feels refreshing considering his filmography around it. Keir definitely has talent though mildly explored in this offbeat role, it all depends on the roles that comes his way in the future or his selection that defines his career. The female leads in Zoe Kravitz and Emma Roberts has an important role in the movie but limited character arcs.

There is a moment in the movie where Dr. Minerva makes Craig realize about the triviality of his problems that is dealt with just the right amount of subtlety to make it more impactful. More such moments were required to make it even more engaging, but unfortunately the final segment resorts to being just about any other Hollywood coming-of-age genre. These offbeat movies generally lean on popular soundtracks to attract their target audience and this is no different.

Not a must watch but not something you wouldn't enjoy for a lazy Sunday matinée.
November 12, 2016
Tough subject, aka triggering to some.
October 28, 2016
I appreciate the overall message but from the patients air-banding to 'Under Pressure' to a patient being able to dance freely in front of strangers after JUST overcoming his fear of leaving his room, it could have been more down-to-earth.
October 25, 2016
It's Kind of a Funny Story, starring Keir Gilchrist, Zach Galifianakis, and Emma Roberts, shows the mind maps of teenagers and adults when life takes unexpected turns. 15 year old Craig Gilner (Gilchrist) has a family that loves him, friends to hang out with, acceptance into his dream college prep school, can't eat anything without throwing up, and is on antidepressants. After walking into a hospital at 5am before jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge, he finds himself checked into a mental health clinic. There, he meets soon to be mentor Bobby (Galifianakis) and Noelle (Roberts), the girl with scissor cuts on her face. His mandated week long stay is filled with unrequited love, new beginnings, and a fresh look on the reason we are alive. The movie gives a real but lighthearted representation of mental illnesses of all kinds with a fantastic performance by the supporting cast, especially Galifianakis. All of the main characters deliver a rounded character development, something that is essential to the movie's purpose. However, the movie is not all true to the book and the main plotline is not as clear as it could be and drags in some parts. The camera work is jumpy and scattered, not what you really want for any type of movie. Overall, I give it four out of five stars. A hopeful coming of age movie, it is, in fact, kind of a funny story.
½ September 17, 2016
I thought it would be another feel-good and melodramatic film, but I found myself very entertained by "It's Kind of a Funny Story", its lovely characters and charming plot elevated the picture from mediocre to actually good.
½ September 16, 2016
This movie will give any who watch it a newfound appreciation of child actors. Other actors, at least. Not this one. Anyone watching this movie will be reminded of how *not* bad other child actors are. Indeed, stilted dialogue, awful writing, an uninteresting plot, and a monotonous child actor with no emotions have come together to create a perfect storm of storytelling incompetence.

This movie only "does a good job of sidestepping psych ward comedy cliches" in that it has no actual comedy in it whatsoever. This movie was so unbearable I'd go so far as to call it a money laundering operation. Even Zach Galifianakis was off his game, delivering one or two witty lines of dialogue, and spending the rest of the movie relegated to an unconvincing mental ward patient role. The only scene of his that was supposed to have any weight to it, the outburst scene, had zero weight to it. A surprising performance from a normally enjoyable actor.

The movie follows the most generic, unfunny, and lame teenager stereotype imaginable. He's impossible to take seriously as he spends the movie traipsing from one unimaginably bad decision to the next, motivated only by the prospect of squeezing boobies in a miserably failed attempt at making fun of teen sexuality. This movie is genius in that it's not possible to come up with a more clichéd and tepid teenage main character if one were to try. If one were to get a crack team of highly-paid researchers to try, in fact. The worst part was that the writing team behind this atrocity of a movie had a golden opportunity to create a witty, sarcastic criticism of the quirks of the teenage mind, but they blew it.

The plot is thrust into motion when the idiot main character checks himself into a mental institution because he thinks he's suicidal. The reason he gave the doctor was, "I dunno. Stress and stuff". Through some kind of miracle, he's admitted, and he is shocked when he realizes he cannot leave and is stuck with people who have actual mental health issues, instead of pathetic pretenders who have the competence of a lobotomized frog. In hindsight, the main character should be in a mental hospital. Not because he is suicidal, but because he has no brain.

Then another two hours of eye-glazingly boring, poorly-executed romance play out, mixed in with a few miserably failed attempts at comedy. Then, the viewer is treated to a blatant PSA that a teenager's problems aren't real, they're not actually suicidal, and to stop over-exaggerating their own problems to get attention. Or something. It's hard to tell what pathetic moral the movie is trying to convey. The only thing that is successfully and convincingly conveyed is just how unpleasant the whole thing is. Then the movie ends, at last.

I would have shut it off sooner, but I was eager to see just how unenjoyable one movie could get. I wasn't disappointed.

Some movies are so bad they're good. Unfortunately, this movie has just the right level of production value to be an all-around miserable viewing experience. To the director's credit, I did laugh once. I began to laugh hysterically at how inorganic and awkward a section of dialogue was. But that's it. That was the high point of this movie.
September 12, 2016
Loved the flow, art everything about the movie
August 5, 2016
This movie matches my life so well. Great movie, just watch it!!!!!!!!!!
½ August 1, 2016
Seemed a bit blah but I enjoyed it. Watched it mostly just to see how things will unravel and the acting.
July 30, 2016
It´s kind of a very nice movie
½ July 24, 2016
It's kind of a bore. C
July 2, 2016
My 13 year old daughter and I just liked it. Enough said.
½ June 26, 2016
Se Enlouquecer Não Se Apaixone tem um elenco de peso,um romance
central lindo,personagens instigantes,um protagonista carismático e retrata a mente de pessoas loucas de uma maneira divertida e fantástica.
½ May 2, 2016
I'm a sucker for the teenage angst type of movie, and this is a version of that genre. It would be lovely if everyone could find out so much about their lives in just 4 or 5 days as is depicted in this movie.
March 23, 2016
The first Coming of Age story I saw. Will always hold a special place in my heart.
½ February 28, 2016
It's true, it is...kind of funny. That's about it, though. So much about it is asinine and forgettable, especially the cringe-worthy attempts to represent this kid's inner life, most of which end up giving the impression that he doesn't have one. But at least he has a bunch of quirky, fun-loving crazy people to help him self-actualise, realise he's amazing at everything, and learn the lesson that checking yourself into a mental institution will result in Emma Roberts wanting to fuck you.
February 16, 2016
2/4/16
WOW I really hated this film. Okay, backstory. I have wanted to see this movie for years, however, I kept pushing it off until I read the book. BAD IDEA! The book was incredibly good, but the movie in comparison was an absolute trainwreck!!!! I understand why the have to cut down a book to make it into a movie, but they completely changed nearly everything or displayed what they did keep in an order that didn't make sense.
Aside from the plot, I still hated this movie. I am a filmmaker. I know what makes a good and a bad movie and boy was this movie way over on the bad side. Aside from the awful acting from nearly the whole cast, the directing, camera, and editing were all extremely sloppy and cheesy as hell. The whole time I was watching this I kept texting my one friend (who also read the book) everything wrong with the movie. I also frequently sent her clips of the movie and she even thought it looked horribly made (and she knows nothing about making movies).
To put it simply, it was very scattered. I can only assume they made it that way to represent the inside of a mental patient's mind, but they did not pull it off. It might have been better if they had executed it properly, but it all just looked a mess. Also, the story line seemed to be contradicting itself quite a lot and leaving holes in the plot that don't quite make any sense.
I'm actually quite upset I didn't like this movie. I had really high hopes for it. Would I recommend this movie? No. Especially not if you have read the book or are a fan of good films. If you are a very casual viewer who likes just about everything, go for it. But don't expect anything incredible. Read the book instead.
January 26, 2016
Ughhhh "being mentally ill is a truly endearing part of growing up", shut uuuuuuup. I'm really glad that Emma Roberts got over her face-cutting self-hatred through getting a crush on a boy, and that the catatonic room-mate was cured by listening to a song and dancing, who knew. These kinds of movies are a plague.
December 13, 2015
It's sad to see that Indie has now become as formulaic as some other hollywood genres. The recipe of just add a depressed kid or two who like reading, drawing and British music, and a comedian not being funny and their you have it. This is kind of cheesy but I suppose it does carry a fairly decent message so it's not all bad.
½ December 8, 2015
A super charming and enjoyable movie.