Jackie Brown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jackie Brown Reviews

April 21, 2018
Jackie Brown is the 3rd film by writer/director Quentin Tarantno, it's based off the book "Rum Punch" by Elmore Leonard. Quentin once stated that "True Romance" was like a Elmore Leonard story he didn't write. Tarantino changed two keys things from the book, Jackie Brown was originally named Jackie Burke and she was white. I'm sure he changed more elements and probably some of the plot but he basically makes the movie he wanted.

Jackie Brown is a caper movie with a blaxploitation feel. It stars Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster, Bridget Fonda, Michael Keaton, & Robert Deniro. Jackie Brown isn't the same kind of movie that Tarantino did with his first two, yes it's still a crime movie but of different sorts. Jackie Brown is also slower and less chaotic than Fiction or Dogs, it still has Quentin's swagger and dialogue. Though the dialogue isn't nearly as sharp as Pulp Fiction.

Jackie Brown isn't all over the place, it's alot easier to follow, some fans might of found that dissapointing. I personally can't relate to being let down, since I hadn't seen Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs to compare when I saw this. This film was actually my first Tarantino picture and I saw it the year it was released. When I first watched it, I wasn't that impressed, actually I really didn't care for it. But over the years I've learn to appreciate it, with each repeated viewing, it's still my least favorite of Tarantino's work.

But even Quentin's worst is still pretty good. Now the acting in Jackie Brown is excellent. I think the chemistry between Pam Grier and Robert Forster is top notch, Samuel L Jackson plays a very deceitful character but in a very charming way. You wouldn't except anything less from this cast anyways, it all works.

The plot is good but not overwhelmingly spectactular like Pulp Fiction's plot. It's pretty much a con job that doesn't go the way you expect, Grier does a fine job weaving her web. Does she get the money at the end or does Ordell (Jackson) get his hands on it? Or will the feds ruin everything for both of them.

Jackie Brown is full of twists in a linear fashion. So don't think non-linear, which Tarantino is know for up to this point. Jackie Brown also has a pretty good sound track, the music basically 70's inspired. The whole movie has a 70's vibe which is what Tarantino was going for, so like I said this isn't my favorite Quentin Tarantino movie but it's good movie overall.

So any fan of caper movies, or previous Tarantino movies, should enjoy this. Who knows, you might like it more than me, there are some hard-core fans out there that think Jackie Brown is Tarantino's masterpiece. Give it a watch and see.
April 9, 2018
"Jackie Brown" is certainly not Tarantino's strongest films, but it is an interesting enough movie that I was fine with watching once. The reason this movie is engaging is the characters. They all have entertaining personalities and the exchanges of dialogue they have are enjoyable. That being said, this is a very slow paced movie that at times feels boring and uneventful. It is a movie that really feels its length. The performances and writing are both solid but the story can be a drag. Overall, I think it is a fairly forgettable movie but it has moments that I liked.
April 3, 2018
"Jackie Brown" has the biggest all-star cast Tarantino has ever assembled for a film that is surprisingly more subtle, nostalgic and reflective than he has ever done before or for that matter, has done since. First off, it is notably different from Tarantino's other crime thrillers as this one is more low-key and uneventful with characters that are less flawed in their moral codes than their understanding of themselves as people. Though, of course, this allows the story organically to explore themes of old age and the poignancy that comes with it as the aging main characters look back on their lives to reflect on how much of it was wasted staying in a rut. Thus, as a result, they cling to what they love of the past such as music to remember what good times there were amongst the struggles. An idea which Tarantino exhibits well not only in the story itself but also in his musical selections for the soundtrack. These themes are especially noteworthy considering this was created partly as a comeback vehicle for its stars Pam Grier and Robert Forster who use their own careers' wanes to bring their own emotionally retrospective punches to their performances. Overall, while the film's remarkable restraint for a Tarantino flick may make it unmemorable to many, it's depth and charm will prove to be a rewarding experience for those who can appreciate it.
½ February 23, 2018
Sicuramente non il migliore per Tarantino, che come terzo lavoro ci propone un film pi¨ terreno e comune rispetto ai suoi primi due capolavori. Jackie Brown Ŕ un'opera lunga e piuttosto noiosa, che intrattiene poco e che nel complesso ha poco da offrire. E' molto intricato e non del tutto facile da seguire, con personaggi che personalmente ho trovato particolarmente antipatici, a cui risulta difficile affezionarcisi. Una specie di flop che a mio parere giÓ in partenza non aveva le potenzialitÓ per essere un film al livello degli altri.
January 1, 2018
Not just Tarantino's most underrated film, it's arguably his best. The plot is straightforward, like the rest of his films, and he departs slightly from his usual style by holding off on nonlinear storylines and self aware title cards/narration. The uncomplicated storytelling makes for the deepest character study in Tarantino's filmography, while balancing a solid and completely believable heist plot. The cast is great too but Tarantino never hires shitty actors anyway. If he didn't have the rest of his filmography planned out already I would say he should adapt more novels.
½ December 24, 2017
F

8.2

[Quentin Tarantino]
December 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Un estilo muy propio de Tarantino, que es probablemente la ˙nica razˇn por la que mires esta pelÝcula.
½ December 13, 2017
The epitome Tarantino charm and style, with commendable performances from all. Has some blaxploitation elements some will find nostalgic, and a neo noir flair most will love
½ December 2, 2017
QT, is, without a doubt in my crome, one of the pinnicales of American cinematic genius. This motherfucka knows how to belt out the coolest, creamiest slices of film, that go down like a smooth cocktail and a deep bowl of dank. Jackie Brown, Quentin's followup to my favorite of all time, Pulp Fiction, smoulders with yet another unforgettable ensemble, some of the slyist dialogue ever slang from the silverscreen, and a soundtrack that still rings in my head to this day. Dissapointingly, I was a little thrown off by the minimal or almost lack-there-of, of QT's trademark stylized violence. The idea of death was mostly just looming around the characters. Still a tight tight pic, with badasssss written all over it. I fuckin love it and you will too....trust. Go now and catch it, and be one of the cool kids.
November 26, 2017
Good Quentin Tarantino movie but not his best work but I still enjoyed it and his worst movie is still better than the best micheal bay movie and better than Steven Spielbergs worst movie. I thought the story was bland , the main girl was good but Keaton, he was ok. Overall I wouldn't watch this movie again but if it's on Netflix then I will.
½ November 7, 2017
the story about a man hustling with guns and stuff. He's treats his friends well if he must, but he can also use them for his own benifits. He bails out some lady, Jackie, and they are doing some jobs later. Many people are in the mix, and the result is a pretty huge money exchange finale.

This film has an amazing script - there are nice chatting and conversations all over. Great music lifts the movie a lot too. Great characters and few dull moments are big plusses.
The cool mixup is pretty confusing but still smart stuff. Most of the directors trademarks is here but this films lacks the last bit of punch for me. It's a bit long, but never boring. Sadly never that interesting either. I miss Jackson in this mode, he is brilliant here. The entire cast is, really.

6.5 out of 10 jeans shorts.
November 7, 2017
Such an entertaining movie.
October 21, 2017
Jackie Brown: Quentin Tarintino's thrid film is stuffed with plenty of wit and charm and is typically overstuffed. Boasting Tarintino's most mature story to date. With a talaneted cast starring Pam Grier and Smauel L Jackson.
October 11, 2017
Tarantino's weakest movie. Hard to get attached to anyone and really slow but a good story and well acted
October 6, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

September 24, 2017
It is what it Quentin'ssentially is, but 30-mins too long. T'tino needs to get Gibson's "Payback" editor on his team. Then this would've sizzled as a faux black'sploitation genre vehicle. Good music cues throughout and a superior cast spouting plenty of fothermuckers & other urban street level dialogue. Forster seemed esp'ly good; Fonda's back from "True Romance," perhaps a better T'tino overall. | - Norm de Guerre
September 19, 2017
It's no exaggeration to say that this is every bit as good as Pulp Fiction. The cast of characters - played by a host of superbly cast actors - are just as engaging, and the plot is just as interesting, even though it only focusses on one story. Oh, and the script is just what you'd expect from poet and master of words, Tarantino. It's clever, witty, funny and as cool as the other side of the pillow.
½ August 27, 2017
I loved the music and the story. Great cast delivering great performances. I loved how the plot twists and turns after I thought I knew what was happening. Tarantino might have cut this movie down a little more, but I liked the slow pace and the restrained amount of blood and violence I have come to expect from his films.
½ August 18, 2017
It can't match Pulp Fiction in terms of overall quality, but Jackie Brown is still amazing in its own way. Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, and Michael Keaton stand out among the cast, but all the performances are great. Bringing the same smart dialogue, well-developed characters, and over-the-top violence as Tarantino's first two films, Jackie Brown tells a surprisingly relatable story, and entertains you the whole time.