Jackie Brown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jackie Brown Reviews

July 17, 2016
Tarantino's weakest film.
½ July 16, 2016
Not Tarantino's best work but still an enjoyable homage to blaxploitation with a welcome comeback by Pam Grier - and although this solid crime movie has charm and style, it is also a bit overlong and could have had a few scenes left out in post-production.
½ July 13, 2016
Great movie. Though it feels a little overlong in moments, the movie has quite the captivating pace thanks to its stylish direction, phenomenal writing, fun characters and great performances from its cast, especially Forster, Grier, Jackson and De Niro.
July 1, 2016
Another film from the legendary Quentin Tarantino, Jackie Brown is a crime thriller with twists and turns from the off. This is somewhat more tame with the violence compared to other Tarantino films, and focuses more on the suave plot. With the likes of Samuel Jackson and Robert De Niro and Michael Keaton, you knew you were guaranteed excellent performances. A great film and a nice turn of style for Tarantino.
June 18, 2016
I surprisingly liked it, it's different from the other Tarentino films, but it has it's own reasons to be good. Mostly, it's the characters that make it a winner.
June 13, 2016
Samuel goes on a rant in this movie about an AK-47 and its virtues that is hilarious!!
June 12, 2016
Una clasica para revivir el pasado. No me ha gustado tanto como perros de reserva pero cumple su cometido. Oh si, hay sangre.
June 12, 2016
I used to hate Quentin Tarantino - I didn't get him. Now I do. Many people describe Jackie Brown as a masterpiece and I agree!
June 11, 2016
One of Quentin Tarantino's most underrated movies, Jackie Brown, while long, is very good and interesting. The characters are interesting and enjoyable, the plot, while sometimes not easy to follow, is very entertaining and interesting. Also, as with most Tarantino films, it has memorable lines and a really good script. So to anyone who hasn't seen it, I'm sure there is, to them I say go watch it, you won't regret it.
May 28, 2016
Serving as both a homage to Blaxploitation films & a gritty, action-packed thriller. Jackie Brown is another delightful treat from Quentin Tarantino.
May 22, 2016
Jackie Brown is Tarantino's most mature film that created a different atmosphere than his other work. He has proven time and time again that he can make excellent crime films and Jackie Brown is no exception. The film has a clever story, great acting, and Tarantino behind the camera.
½ May 12, 2016
So thrilling, great climax!
May 6, 2016
pulp fiction for people who cant stand blood but its good very good and very mature
April 25, 2016
The Godmother⦠or not.
April 24, 2016
Fast intentions, slow plot.
April 11, 2016
Jackie Brown makes up for its slow pacing with stellar performances, knockout crime thrills, and witty pop culture that Tarantino diehards have come to expect
½ April 9, 2016
The third Tarantino film, Jackie Brown is probably his most underrated film. not many people love this movie, including myself, but I do like it a lot. it has a different feel to it, in my opinion, probably the least Tarantinoy movie out there. but the characters are cool, especially Robert DeNiro as Louis, the dialogue is sharp, and the ending of the film is amazing. a good movie but one of my least favorite Tarantino flicks.

7.4/10
March 16, 2016
My favorite Tarantino movie!
March 6, 2016
Jackie Brown (Pam Grier) is a flight attendant for a small Mexican airline. To make ends meet, she smuggles money from Mexico into the United States for Ordell Robbie (Samuel L. Jackson), a black-market gun runner living in the Los Angeles metropolitan area area under the ATF's close watch, forcing him to use couriers. Ordell learns that another of his couriers, Beaumont Livingston, has been arrested. Assuming that Livingston will become an informant in order to avoid jail time, Ordell arranges for bail with bondsman Max Cherry (Robert Forster), then coaxes Livingston into a car trunk and murders him. Acting on information Beaumont had already shared, ATF agent Ray Nicolette (Michael Keaton) and LAPD detective Mark Dargus intercept Jackie as she returns to the United States with Ordell's cash and some cocaine that Brown was unaware was stashed in her bag. Initially refusing to cut a deal, she is sent to jail on possession of drugs with intent to distribute. Sensing that Jackie may also now be a threat to inform, Ordell goes back to Max to arrange her bail. Max picks up Jackie from the jail and begins to develop an attraction to her while driving her home. Ordell later arrives at Jackie's house intending to murder her to prevent her from informing on him. She surprises him by pulling a gun that she surreptitiously took from Max's glove compartment. Jackie negotiates a deal with Ordell to pretend to help the authorities while smuggling in $550,000 of Ordell's money, enough to allow him to retire. To carry out this plan, Ordell is counting on Melanie Ralston (Bridget Fonda), an unambitious, stoned surfer girl with whom he lives, and Louis Gara (Robert De Niro), a friend and former cellmate. Unaware of Jackie and Ordell's plan to smuggle in $550,000, Nicolette and Dargus devise a sting to catch Ordell during a transfer of $50,000. Unbeknownst to all, Jackie plans to double-cross everyone and keep $500,000 for herself. She recruits Max to assist with her plan and offers him a cut...

When "Jackie Brown" came out in 1997 we got a more sombre, stylized and dialogue driven film with less action from Tarantino as he in this case adapted a script from an Elmore Leonard novel. The problem is that Tarantino needs highly dynamic and fast paced scripts like "Pulp Fiction" as he knows how to handle that sort of story. With "Jackie Brown" he tells a character-driven crime story in a linear matter and he ends up in this over drawn, boring and stale direction that drags everything down and the focus gets lost the deeper we get into the story. The dialogue is classic Tarantino (but by now we have seen Samuel L. Jackson deliver the same speech it seems some many times in Tarantino films it hurts), the sudden violence and the editing with flashbacks and rich excellent soundtrack is also classic Tarantino. But, this time he simply fails to deliver something that keeps you intrigued during the running time. Ok acting from Jackson, Forster, Keaton, Fonda and De Niro. But, it´s the talented and beautiful Pam Grier that steals the show. She's cool, tough, vulnerable and very attractive. An actress I feel is underrated and she really deserved that renewed place in the limelight with the role as Jackie Brown as she makes the most out of it. This is however not amongst Tarantino´s best films in my opinion.
February 23, 2016
Everything goes just a little too easy in this still enjoyable crime caper...the ending was really annoying though.