Jade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jade Reviews

July 7, 2016
"I want you to be David Caruso in Jade." - 40 Year Old Virgin

This movie is pretty underrated. Caruso and Chazz P are both excellent and Fiorentino plays a good floozy. Some solid car chases coupled with David Caruso Driving Face and you've got yourself an excellent 90 minutes on NetFlix.
March 27, 2016
Great car chase but of course there are weaknesses that overshadow good parts like said chase.
April 23, 2015
Friedkin had to be doing this just for the money.....a thriller with no thrills.
March 28, 2015
Yes this film has faults...I cant deny that but I enjoy it for what it is. I do prefer the directors cut as feel the conclusion is better. I am a fan of Friedkin. The Exorcist, Sorceror and To Live and Die In La are 3 of my favourite films. The car chase is suspenseful and enjoyable. I like it more than Basic Instinct
November 11, 2014
My all time favourite . Linda Fiorentino, score and cinematography are excellent .
September 24, 2014
I've always wanted to see this, but I always forget that I do :X
TheDudeLebowski65
½ July 22, 2014
Decent thriller that could have been much better if the script would have been better fleshed out, Jade is one of those films which has good ideas and plenty of potential in being a good film, but it never becomes anything truly riveting or memorable. Jade could have been quite good if the film's script would have been better though out, and it's a shame that this is such a tiresome, lazy affair. The cast are fairly ridiculous in their roles and in turn, it doesn't do much to make this film really standout. Jade plays out like a low budget film and it has that feel to it as well. If you're looking for something good here, then you'll be disappointed as the film never becomes anything truly entertaining. Overall it is amusing, but it could have been much better as well, and leaves a lot to be desired in terms of good storytelling. The Exorcist director William Friedkin directs and he makes one of his least accessible works here. Jade is amusing at best for its camp value and to me it felt like a cheap wanabe Basic Instinct film, but it failed due to a lack of original ideas and good performances. If you enjoy low budget affairs, then Jade is worth seeing, but even then don't go into this one expecting a highly entertaining film, it's one of those films that tries to be something great, but never gets there due to too many script limitations. Jade is worth seeing only once and doesn't demand multiple viewing due to its sheer ridiculous acting and lack of immersive storytelling.
April 24, 2014
Excellent thrills and acting.
½ March 29, 2014
Directed by William Friedkin, produced by Robert Evans and written by Joe Eszterhas (alarm bell ringing), this erotic thriller was intended to get actor David Caruso away from success on TV in NYPD Blue and get him success in the cinema. Jade was a massive flop, not helped by a confused plot, (Eszterhas' screenplay was heavily rewritten by Friedkin), which has been seen done before by Eszterhas. It begins when San Francisco Assistant District Attorney David Corelli (Caruso) is called to a crime scene of a dead businessman. At the scene, they find photographs of Governor Lew Edwards (Richard Crenna) having sex with a prostitute called Patrice Jacinto (Angie Everhart). Despite Patrice being questioned, she's not the real suspect, that turns out to be Katrina Gavin (Linda Fiorentino), a clinical psychologist who was once in love with Corelli, but left him and married Corelli's best friend Matt Gavin (Chazz Palminteri). It was Katrina's fingerprints that were found on the murder weapon at the crime scene, but she denies murdering him. It should have been a good film, and it had potential to have been good, especially with a director as good as Friedkin on board, but poor casting choices let the film down. In an alternate universe, there's a version of this film that had Warren Beatty, Julia Roberts and Kenneth Branagh in it, that nearly happened here.
February 1, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is an alright movie 2 watch....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that david caruso, linda fiorentino, chazz palminteri, richard crenna, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/action/adventure/mystery/suspense movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie........its got a great car chase scene in this movie which is probably the best scene throughout this whole movie......i think that the fight scenes were pretty good throughout this movie.......i think that the gun shoot outs were pretty good throughout this movie.......this is nothing special 2 watch but its an alright movie 2 watch.......there is nothing special about this movie but its an enjoyable thriller movie 2 watch.......i think that david caruso was great throughout this movie.....i think that the special effects thorughout this movie were pretty good throughout this movie......i think that this is an enjoyable movie 2 watch.....sure it is nothing special 2 watch but its an alright movie 2 watch.....i think that the fight scenes throughout this movie were pretty good throughout this movie......i think that the car chase was probably the best scene throughout this whole movie......its nothing special but its an alright movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie......i think that this is an alright movie 2 watch but its an ok movie 2 watch......i think that the best scene was the car chase scenes throughout this movie.....its an alright movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie....it sure is nothing special 2 watch but its an alright movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie........
½ November 28, 2013
Jade (William Friedkin, 1995)
[originally posted 22Oct2000]

Good things about Jade:
1. Gratuitous use of Loreena McKennitt

Okay, I'll try to be fair. Things that SHOULD have been good about Jade:
1. William Friedkin. What the hell was he thinking?
2. David Caruso, if he hadn't been trying to sound exactly like Russell Crowe
3. Chazz Palminteri, if he hadn't been trying to be Joe Mantegna
4. Richard Crenna attempting to use the F-word in a serious conversation, had Friedkin been filming it for laughs

I mean, this guy directed The Exorcist! He's won Oscars! He's good at what he does! Honest! But the whole responsibility for this exceptionally boring film can't lie on the head of scriptwriter Joe Eszterhas-who really hasn't written a decent script in thirteen years now-alone. Some directors are capable of taking mediocre scripts and turning them into fantastic films. Hell, Friedkin did it earlier this year with Rules of Engagement, to an extent.

So what happened here? I don't know. Perhaps Friedkin was as bored with the movie as I was. An old, rather powerful man gets killed in a way that suggests a sexual killing. Over time, the lead investigator (Caruso) uncovers what looks like a very high-class prostitution ring. Hmmmm. Law and Order and NYPD Blue hadn't been doing that sort of thing on television for five years already. No, not at all. Aside from a little more nudity than you'll find on NYPD Blue (and to be fair, Linda Fiorentino is a lot easier to look at than Dennis Franz!) and a little more profanity than you'll find on any police drama, there's nothing here you won't find on prime time. Prime time usually has plot twists that work, though. (Half a star for Loreena McKennitt.)
November 26, 2013
Another awful screenplay from the guy that brought us Showgirls. And another in the long line of Basic Instinct wannabes in the 90s. Bad and boring to boot. Plays like a cheap episode of CSI.
½ November 22, 2013
This is a decent erotic thriller/mystery brought down by predictability, cliche and some rather bad writing. The film does have an impressive pedigree, having been directed by William Friedkin, and starring Chazz Palminteri, Linda Fiorentino as well as a pre-CSI: Miami David Caruso. All of the actors do a serviceable job, but they have to deliver some of the hammiest dialogue I've ever heard. The script is devoid of any real surprises or thrills, and so it relies on an over-insistent score. It's like it's shouting "Look at me! Take me seriously!", except it's impossible to take anything in this movie seriously. The most impressive part of the movie is the intro (before the score has become overbearing), which features some creepy music and surrealistic camerawork. It's too bad that they overuse the style throughout the film, though. Another bright spot was a well-filmed (but ridiculous) car chase through San Francisco, but it wears out its welcome once they hit Chinatown and the movie almost literally comes to a halt. So, there's also some issues with pacing, particularly in that sequence. However, the biggest problem with this movie is the script, penned by Joe Eszterhaz (who also wrote BASIC INSTINCT and SHOWGIRLS). Not only is the story relatively unengaging, but it's rather misogynistic towards its female characters, and the voyeuristic camerawork doesn't help in that regard either. At best, it's a rather bland erotic thriller with some decent performances, but it could be worth a late-night watch if you're into this sort of thing.
November 22, 2013
William Friedkin's erotic thriller got panned on release. It is not that bad and worth a watch,for a decent car chase and a filthy Fiorentino (High heel up some cats swiss ouch). Caruso is so badly cast in this and good support from Palminteri, Biehn and the legend that is Richard Crenna.
½ November 5, 2013
Basically the film is, from a technical standpoint, well made (that car chase is fantastic) but the script is utterly ridiculous and stupid.
October 15, 2013
that car chase though...
September 23, 2013
I think this was the movie that was supposed to launch David Caruso's film career. It didn't and we were all lucky to have him back on TV in CSI: Miami. However aside from that, this was one of those fun thrillers. I think they really tried hard to make it cutting edge at the time, using lots of vulgar sexual lingo and plenty of gratuitous nudity, which was nice to see. If you're looking for a thriller look no further, this will fit the bill.
September 18, 2013
Married unhappy woman that cheat can follow this movie (besides the husband killing the lovers obviously) and use the same excuse as the wife of having a split personality lol
September 6, 2013
When bad scripts happen to good people. Despite a talented cast and an Oscar-winning director, the script is so inept that no one could make a good film from it. It's needlessly lurid, sorely lacking in logic, very predictable. William Friedkin adds enough visual flair to keep this from being a complete disaster.
September 1, 2013
Joe Eszterhas has written some well received movies as well as some real stinkers. This one is somewhere in between. The characters are not fleshed out as it relies and sex and nudity to maintain your interest. Fiorentino is on fire as the main suspect. The story is mildly interesting but not difficult to figure out. The twist is anti-climatic. Director Friedkin holds it all together into a worthwhile endeavor.