Jane Got a Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jane Got a Gun Reviews

½ June 22, 2017
The never ending pile of behind the scene issues destroyed what could have been.
June 8, 2017
Love the movie great western
½ June 1, 2017
Fine Western! Portman handles her role well. McGregor is effortlessly and believably villainous. Worth anyone's time who enjoys the genre
½ May 27, 2017
really slow and boring and in the end just not that good.
½ May 26, 2017
This movie wasn't that bad, but it certainly wasn't great either. I tend to love Natalie Portman in almost anything, and while she was good in this, the overall story seemed to have some pacing issues. All in all, i would say that it is on the low average side of things.
April 29, 2017
You can see that the actors are trying to put on solid performances but the story is just not there. The history happens in flashbacks and by the time you start caring people start dying. Overall not a good movie.
April 15, 2017
Love Natalie Portman, but did not love this movie. Really no redeeming quality whatsoever.
April 11, 2017
I really enjoyed it. The performances are better than the story. The themes are familiar, but the plot is different from what I've seen. Nat. Port. is a beauty queen. JE, EM, and NE, all made a lot out of their characters. I might watch it again. It was a good ride.
½ April 3, 2017
A lot of fun. Solid production. Critic reviews are unfairly rough. You can't even tell it's McGregor until you really look!
½ March 22, 2017
Interesting premise with the promising inclusion of the talented star Natalie Portman. Falls flat due to bad writing.

Despite the title, Jane rarely handles a gun, and never with the badassery I expected. This is not a one-woman war for revenge. This is a woman of medicore shooting skills teaming up with an also medicore male gunslinger to shoot maybe five people, and we don't even see half of the shooting happen. A film that seems to be set up as an action flick is mostly talking.

The movie seems like it was written in a week and filmed without editing. It's never boring, but there are so many weaknesses and underused ideas, to the point of leaving the viewer confused.

It's not all bad, though. The acting is decent, except for Portman, who is good for what she was given. There's a touching plot of motherhood, and Jane is a strong and compelling character despite her relative lack of violence. The visual element is also decent, with some good examples of set and costuming.

Overall, I was disappointed to not enjoy it more, but I liked it alright for what it was.
March 22, 2017
Due to change up in directors, the film feels unfocused and slightly boring at times. On the bright side, Natalie Portman commits to the role and remains a consistent and slightly compelling character. Edgerton and McGregor are also a pleasure to watch on screen. If you can manage to sit through the boring parts, Jane Got a Gun is an OK movie.
March 17, 2017
Portman gives her all and yet you wonder why. Why would she take a role in a film so lacking in originality or powerful characters?
March 10, 2017
Not just a movie about a gun-slinging, butt-kicking Portman in the Wild West!

Panic strikes Jane Hammond (Natalie Portman) when her outlaw husband returns to their 1870s New Mexico farm with bullet wounds. Expecting the worst, she delivers her young daughter to safety and travels to the home of Dan Frost (Joel Edgerton), a boozing ex-lover who may be her only hope. With Dan now on her side, Jane prepares for a showdown with the vengeful John Bishop (Ewan McGregor) and his gang of thugs. Looking to settle an old score, Bishop must now contend with the gun-toting Jane and her new partner.

'Jane Got A Gun' isn't just a movie about a gun-slinging, butt-kicking Portman in the Wild West, despite what the trailer might have you believe. As a new feminist take on the classic Western, 'Jane Got A Gun' doesn't just take on traditional Hollywood gender roles, it also takes on the daunting task of portraying a sexual assault survivor, without ever really identifying the character as such. When the audience meets Jane, she has survived being raped after being forced into prostitution, but that fact isn't revealed until well into the movie. 'Jane Got A Gun' portrays Jane as shaped by her sexual assault, but not defined by it---a fact that makes it worth watching and in the minds of everyone who sees it, well after the end credits roll.
February 23, 2017
didn't mind it better than some i've seen lately but then i have cold so my discernment might be off
February 19, 2017
Not your typical western. I enjoyed it.
February 12, 2017
Watch the trailer then move on! Anything further is a waste of time...just take a look at the poster of the movie and note Jane carries an 1873 Colt single action revolver...a gun that was not even yet being made during the year the movie is set in......yep just another dog however better than a host of westerns higher rated ....better than anything with Kurt Russel in it...but bad nonetheless....dont waste your time....go watch any number of far better western movies, True Grit, Crossfire Trail, Conagher, many others....Hollywood has all but lost the ability to make a decent Western...True Grit (2010) was the last great Western movie to date.
½ February 1, 2017
Didn't get the action I expected out of this movie to be honest, but it had more story and was deeper than I expected. The story was good, somewhat original. The script was ok, and the acting was also quite good. Natalie Portman did a great job, and so did the others, loved seeing Ewan Mcgregor as well, would have been nice for him to have some more screen time however. I expected more of a just shot em up revenge story with this, and am glad I didn't, it was nice to have an actual good story and all. However the main issue is there doesn't seem to be any beginning, middle and end. Yes once Dan Frost shows up to help Jane you could argue that's the beginning of the middle of the story, but it feels like it's just one long bunch of kind of nothing until the final shoot out. They share their stories, have some flash backs and prepare for Colin McCann and his crew to arrive, but nothing big really happens and it just feels bland, at least the story is interesting. The final battle is ok, of course they win against all odds and being completely out numbered, and then kill Colin and live happily ever after. It was pretty predictable that one of 2 things would happen, Dan would sacrifice himself for Jane and Bills love, or Bill would succumb to him wounds and Jane and Dan would ride off into the sunset like that had always planned, the second one is true. The final fight is ok, the only real complain I have besides the fact they would Never kill that whole crew just the 3 of them is that sometimes it's really dark and it's really hard to tell what's actually going on. Anyways ok movie for the story and cast and acting, although lacking in many other important areas.
January 20, 2017
a good solid western a bit slow in parts
½ January 19, 2017
A colossal misfire, relegating the titular Jane second-fiddle to her former lover, who achieves his goals while she fails in hers.
½ January 13, 2017
Just a regular old western that doesn't do much to stand out.