Jane Got a Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jane Got a Gun Reviews

½ December 1, 2016
Entertaining, but not brilliant.
½ November 26, 2016
Better than I expected. Sad though...
November 26, 2016
The final act is so strong it kind of makes up for what is an otherwise slow and emotionless, though well intended, western with a female protagonist. On Netflix.
½ November 19, 2016
From it's title, Jane Got a Gun announces itself as a feminist revisionist Western where Natalie Portman gets to deliver some frontier justice. Indeed, it starts out promisingly enough, with Jane's husband Ham (Noah Emmerich) arriving back at the homestead full of bullets and barely alive, rambling about the Bishop gang, led by a mustachioed and otherwise weirdly indistinct Ewan McGregor, being angry and on their way. Jane enlists the help of her ex-lover Dan Frost (Joel Edgerton), and...immediately stops having much agency in her own story. Dan takes charge, flashbacks tell us how Ham saved Jane from Bishop in the past, and Jane herself gets lost in the shuffle. It's not a terribly exciting shuffle either, with the action heavily backloaded as both the flashback and present-day storylines reach near-simultaneous conclusions. Noah Emmerich's Ham is really the only character who makes much of an impression (aside from a quick nasty appearance by Rodrigo Santoro), and the climax of his flashback's arc gives us perhaps the only memorable scene of the film. There's potential here, but it never goes to the level of camp it's title so richly deserves (despite the aforementioned Ewan McGregor stache), and falls flat because of it.
½ November 18, 2016
Really enjoyed Natalie Portman's performance in this decent revisionist western, Emmerich and Edgerton add solid support but unfortunately Ewan McGregor's villainous turn isn't quite as unsettling as his slightly odd appearance.
½ November 13, 2016
The story is interesting but not very much happens through the course of the movie
November 11, 2016
This movie was just ok. Considering the tragic events depicted, one would hope the movie would move the spectator more deeply, but it was not to be.
November 9, 2016
Gritty. Natalie Portman plays a good, strong, feisty frontier woman. Story has a few good turns.
November 3, 2016
Simple y efectivo western.
October 16, 2016
Gritty and enthralling one moment, groan-inducing cliches the next.
October 4, 2016
A woman's preparation to fight the outlaws.

Probably on underrated film, but for me, I'm sure it is an underrated film. From the director of 'Warrior', another excellent film to include in his filmography. A well written screenplay, but that's where the problem is according to those did not like it. Because it was kind of 'all's well, ends well' story. That does not mean it is full of cliché, maybe they expected the film to be more harsh and violent like most of the high profile western films do.

Sorry to those who did not enjoy it, but I did. It was nothing like only for men, but still R rated. Yep, I understand the last 10-15 minutes was so intentional, so what, the story wrapped perfectly in a right way. I must appreciate the cast, particularly the lead two actors, Natalie Portman and Joel Edgerton. This film is not an opportunity to give the best character display, but everyone did their parts quite finely.

Ewan McGregor was a disappointment with his useless role. I mean it was a good one, but not made for him. I think the villain character lacks the toughness. That leaves it a one sided theme, so you might not know how the developments happen, but you will know which way is it heading in the earliest. Particularly as it was focused more on the romance, despite it is not a romance theme. Though there is a twist and many turns in the narration. Overall film was very entertaining, partly predictable, yet totally worth a watch if you keep your expectation locked in a safe afar while watching it.

8/10
½ October 3, 2016
Not especially unique. C
½ September 28, 2016
Brukar ju gilla western, men det här var i segaste laget!
September 22, 2016
Excellent performances. Incredible scenery. Storyline was decent but the ending seemed rushed - resolution and 'happy' ending a little too precious for a seemingly dark tale. Stilled enjoyed it very much and would recommend.
½ September 17, 2016
Review:
This is just another one of those movies which has a good cast but the film wasn't that great. It takes a long time to get going and the big build up for a massive showdown, turned out to be pretty disappointing. Although the movie is called Jane Got A Gun, it's really Dan Frost (Joel Edgerton) who saves the day, because he is hired by Jane Hammond (Natalie Portman) to save her and her husband, Bill Hammond (Noah Emmerich) from a bunch of bounty hunters who are hunting down Bill, so they can get the reward. John Bishop (Ewan McGregor) plays the leader of the bounty hunters, who has a personal score to settle with Bill but to his surprise, Dan Frost is on hand to help his ex-girlfriend, Jane and her husband. The director stupidly shot the whole showdown at the end, in the dark, so you can't actually see what is going on. The storyline was also predictable and I found most of the characters to be quite dull, so it has to get the thumbs down from me. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
This movie was directed by Gavin O'Connor, who also brought you Miracle, Pride & Glory, Warrior and the upcoming, the Accountant, starring Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick, J.K. Simmons and John Lithgow, so he's had some experience making movies in this genre. He certainly wasted a great cast, who all starred together in Attack of the Clones, and none of the performances really stood out from the other. On the plus side, there was some depth to the film, which gave the whole storyline some meaning but apart from that, it just seemed like a mediocre western with an average storyline.

Budget: $25million
Worldwide Gross: $3million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/drama/westerns, starring Natalie Portman, Joel Edgerton, Ewan McGregor, Noah Emmerich, Rodrigo Santoro, Alex Manette and Boyd Holbrook. 3/10
September 17, 2016
Took a long time to develop, but turned out to be an okay movie.
½ September 11, 2016
Natalie Portman is great, of course, but I just couldn't get into this film. as a gritty, revenge western tale, it delivers just a considerable amount, but as a whole film, there seems to be so much missing. I liked some aspects of the film, but too much of it I didn't like. it's to bland to recommended.
September 10, 2016
Great story, excellent acting, good cinematography, satisfying ending, add up to a terrific western with a nod to the current interest in strong women. Really enjoyed it. Just wish some of the scenes played out in the dark were not quite so dark. It made it difficult to see some of the action.
September 8, 2016
Enjoyed it. Classic Western with a nice plot line.