Jane Got a Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jane Got a Gun Reviews

November 6, 2017
So emotionless, it?s a shame, would?ve been great otherwise.
November 2, 2017
There are certainly some good moments in this film and as a whole its not a bad experience. That being said it never truly exciting levels. It prefers to meander in the middle giving some decent drama and some decent action but never rising above to become a great Western.
August 19, 2017
The film makes sense up to a point. Very good acting for sure. The story has heart. It is not epic, though. It is a small personal story of murderous people in a lawless country. Many flaws making it unlikely. I like the girl being of french descent. I liked the plot twists and the story changing with the viewpoints. And the ending being too good. I liked it too. It could be a murderous Disney western.
July 19, 2017
Gritty and violent, Jane Got a Gun is a rare movie showcasing a frontier woman's unconditional love for her family and the danger of living in a world without laws.
July 10, 2017
Well done. Portman gives an amazing performance. There was a lot of politics and mis-starts that went into the production, but it was a solid story. Strong female character with a believable story. Complex interactions between the characters and a few refreshing and surprising plot twists.
½ June 22, 2017
The never ending pile of behind the scene issues destroyed what could have been.
June 8, 2017
Love the movie great western
½ June 1, 2017
Fine Western! Portman handles her role well. McGregor is effortlessly and believably villainous. Worth anyone's time who enjoys the genre
½ May 27, 2017
really slow and boring and in the end just not that good.
½ May 26, 2017
This movie wasn't that bad, but it certainly wasn't great either. I tend to love Natalie Portman in almost anything, and while she was good in this, the overall story seemed to have some pacing issues. All in all, i would say that it is on the low average side of things.
April 29, 2017
You can see that the actors are trying to put on solid performances but the story is just not there. The history happens in flashbacks and by the time you start caring people start dying. Overall not a good movie.
April 15, 2017
Love Natalie Portman, but did not love this movie. Really no redeeming quality whatsoever.
April 11, 2017
I really enjoyed it. The performances are better than the story. The themes are familiar, but the plot is different from what I've seen. Nat. Port. is a beauty queen. JE, EM, and NE, all made a lot out of their characters. I might watch it again. It was a good ride.
½ April 3, 2017
A lot of fun. Solid production. Critic reviews are unfairly rough. You can't even tell it's McGregor until you really look!
½ March 22, 2017
Interesting premise with the promising inclusion of the talented star Natalie Portman. Falls flat due to bad writing.

Despite the title, Jane rarely handles a gun, and never with the badassery I expected. This is not a one-woman war for revenge. This is a woman of medicore shooting skills teaming up with an also medicore male gunslinger to shoot maybe five people, and we don't even see half of the shooting happen. A film that seems to be set up as an action flick is mostly talking.

The movie seems like it was written in a week and filmed without editing. It's never boring, but there are so many weaknesses and underused ideas, to the point of leaving the viewer confused.

It's not all bad, though. The acting is decent, except for Portman, who is good for what she was given. There's a touching plot of motherhood, and Jane is a strong and compelling character despite her relative lack of violence. The visual element is also decent, with some good examples of set and costuming.

Overall, I was disappointed to not enjoy it more, but I liked it alright for what it was.
March 22, 2017
Due to change up in directors, the film feels unfocused and slightly boring at times. On the bright side, Natalie Portman commits to the role and remains a consistent and slightly compelling character. Edgerton and McGregor are also a pleasure to watch on screen. If you can manage to sit through the boring parts, Jane Got a Gun is an OK movie.
March 17, 2017
Portman gives her all and yet you wonder why. Why would she take a role in a film so lacking in originality or powerful characters?
March 10, 2017
Not just a movie about a gun-slinging, butt-kicking Portman in the Wild West!

Panic strikes Jane Hammond (Natalie Portman) when her outlaw husband returns to their 1870s New Mexico farm with bullet wounds. Expecting the worst, she delivers her young daughter to safety and travels to the home of Dan Frost (Joel Edgerton), a boozing ex-lover who may be her only hope. With Dan now on her side, Jane prepares for a showdown with the vengeful John Bishop (Ewan McGregor) and his gang of thugs. Looking to settle an old score, Bishop must now contend with the gun-toting Jane and her new partner.

'Jane Got A Gun' isn't just a movie about a gun-slinging, butt-kicking Portman in the Wild West, despite what the trailer might have you believe. As a new feminist take on the classic Western, 'Jane Got A Gun' doesn't just take on traditional Hollywood gender roles, it also takes on the daunting task of portraying a sexual assault survivor, without ever really identifying the character as such. When the audience meets Jane, she has survived being raped after being forced into prostitution, but that fact isn't revealed until well into the movie. 'Jane Got A Gun' portrays Jane as shaped by her sexual assault, but not defined by it---a fact that makes it worth watching and in the minds of everyone who sees it, well after the end credits roll.
February 23, 2017
didn't mind it better than some i've seen lately but then i have cold so my discernment might be off
February 19, 2017
Not your typical western. I enjoyed it.