John Q - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

John Q Reviews

January 14, 2017
It's not the film you see that often and it has a powerful message for American people.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 15, 2016
great movie with an enthralling story and superb acting by denzel. his acting job was seriously amazing. so many intense and suspenseful scenes. they did a great job of making you root for him. so many heart-wrenching moments. there were also a couple of questionable parts and some cheesy/corny parts (about 3 viewings)
½ September 20, 2016
An interesting movie.
May 8, 2016
A mediocre hostage drama with a message delivered with all the subtlety of a bazooka is only validated by Denzel Washington's strong performance.
March 29, 2016
I loved it... Anything for your boy
March 28, 2016
A gripping drama with a fantastic performance by Denzel Washington.
February 12, 2016
What a great heartfelt movie!!!! Awesome performance by Denzel Washington!
January 22, 2016
This is the movie about real life, about real people. This could happen
with anybody, even if you think that you insured. Who are we? Home
sapiens? Zombies? Slaves of the God? Fellows? People? Nevermind. We are
mortals! This is 100% true. We are human beings with minds and hearts.
Keep this legacy all your time. This is very important to remember who
you are and understand a reason to being here near to other human
beings. Of course this is important to find the way, but the main point
is keep it right.
Sorry for my English.
Thank you guys for this movie.
January 18, 2016
This is probably one of my favourite Denzel Washington movie! It brings out so many emotions and makes you understand what it means to have unconditional love for your children!
January 3, 2016
I have been noticing a trend with Denzel, he is always better than the movies he is in (except maybe for Malcom X). This is no exception but its harmless enough that you can sit back and enjoy a perfect performance by one of the best actors of this generation and have a perfectly good time.
December 18, 2015
While the acting of the 3 family members is genius John Q is just a boring movie i was bored while watching it
August 23, 2015
one of my all time favorites
½ August 20, 2015
I'm ashamed of myself for sticking around until it ended. It is utter dreck. What a stupid, absurd film.
August 17, 2015
This flick defines what "do something" means!!! That's what I like to lay out about it.
July 23, 2015
Denzel Washington is a great actor, and is top notch at everything he plays in, but for this film, it's not his best. This could have been something special, but when the pop culture quality kicks in, I started to care less and less! What a waste of potential!
July 13, 2015
John Q

One of the worst issues that you can be plagued with is being broke. It's an issue that has been soley prominent with black folks both here in the U.S and especially Africa. The movie John Q looks at a black family with medical insurance problems. Having good insurance for medicare is something I appreciate greatly so you can imagine how bad a brotha felt having to see the Archibald family struggle with this on screen. So greatly executed by Denzel Washington and director Nick Cassavetes as well as the rest of the cast. A really underated feature by man zel.
John Archibald is a factory worker who is married to a wife who works restaurant shifts and a son who dreams of being a body builder. They are a happy but ultimately broke family, or at least close to broke as we see that they are not able to pay the car bills. When John;s son Michael suffers a potentionally fatal heart problem they immediately take him to the hospital. Unfortunately they find out that they do not have the proper insurance for a surgery. Both John and his wife try hard to get the money needed but they still fall flat and john is pushed into a corner by his wife and decides to take matters into his own hands. John takes hold of the hospital and keeps people hostage as he demands the doctors perform the surgery for his son.
The film is great! Not only does it look at black family with medical insurance issues but also looking at what a father would do for his son. Kinda raises awareness of medical insurance as a whole. Only thing is what the hell was the incident in the beginning why was that never explained? Denzel gives quite the emotional performance very different than most roles he's usually in. John is desperate man all around here. Robert duvall anne hetche and ray liotta do a good job here too
I liked how its directed in a way where you truly believe this could actually happenPretty stunning that this hospital here were actually pretty unfair when it came to living up to their sworn duty. Nicely written into the story. Overall good script here really good. Both a good and bad ending for the film but wont spoil it for anyone
John Q is a superb film that brings the heavy drama and a sense of awareness as far as the issues of black folks being broke or coming close to poverty. A must see flick.
July 6, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
June 15, 2015
One of Washington's worst movies but no actor could have saved this BS scripted movie.