Joshua - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joshua Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
Boring until the last 20 minutes.
July 11, 2016
Intelligent, disturbing and well acted, but a little messy at times. Could have been the new Omen and sparked many sequels. Joshua definitely left me wanting more. There are a lot of unanswered questions and scenes that turned out to be unnecessary. Sam Rockwell and Vera Farmiga play two very disconnected parents in their own separate ways very well. Jacob Kogan is excellent as the sociopathic child. He sells the character well with his deadpan expressions and odd comments even though you never see him commit any of his heinous acts.
June 4, 2016
Intense. This has made me glad of my "no kids" choice.
½ May 15, 2016
A little long, very slow, disappointing ending.
April 8, 2016
Truly unnerving and expertly strings you along... the ending is just... wtf. It's a decent ending for sure but it's also kind of ridiculously silly. wtf
April 1, 2016
(SPOILER) Actually there is a definite conclusion. The whole movie undermined the fact that Joshua was actually gay (like his uncle), and that he had an actual bond to him, unlike his parents in which he felt completely disconnected from...his intent was not to harm the baby at all but rather to bring about the demise of his parents..
March 30, 2016
Better than the Orphan, where the antagonist finally wins. The Omen doesn't really count cuz Damien did have a lot of guardians. I always knew kids could be terrifying, besides Kevin Khachaturian. He displays evidence, yet wins. Will give points for the rich piano soundtrack.

Vera Farmiga wasn't too wasted here, though she had to play the stereotypical depressed mother everyone hates. Especially when she was fearing for the baby. Still no idea why Lily was constantly crying when Joshua was away.
March 17, 2016
not a great movie but not a bad one either. There were a couple of creepy scenes and a couple that just didn't really make much sense. I think it could of been executed better the acting wasn't too bad.
½ February 13, 2016
The kid is a Psychopath. Sad thing is this personality disorder is more common than we think. There are just some people who have no soul; no empathy.
September 3, 2015
Looks very freaky, def see it with friends. Thank god i don't have a son yet.
August 1, 2015
Unsympathetic characters are ultimately this film's undoing. Of course, you can't expect the evil child character to be likable, and he's not, and I will admit the actor portraying him does a pretty good job. But his Father is self-absorbed and shallow, and his Mother is either suffering some severe postpartum depression and is taking it out on everyone or is just a vindictive bitch. There's no one to root for, and without that necessary anchor, you find yourself bored and detached. Two stars for the actor in the title role, but I'd say give this "evil kid" movie a pass. (Fun fact: Vera Farmiga, who plays the Mother, has made a career out of playing the mother to evil children. Two years later, she adopted pure terror in "Orphan," one of my favorite horror films of the past decade, and is currently the infamous Mrs. Bates, mother of Norman on "Bates Motel." She's really got a knack for this kind of subgenre.)
½ February 8, 2015
Despite the awesomeness of Rockwell & Farmiga in the cast, the movie never sustains much suspense.
½ January 28, 2015
Nice story, annoying kid whatsoever! not enough story closure
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A thriller in the same spirit as the Omen , Godsend etc. Story is about a young kid "Joshua" which is a bit different and acting a bit strange time to time.. I thought the movie could have been a bit more scary but it turned out to be a decent movie in the end but i have seen better ones in this genre.
December 17, 2014
This is an important film and portrays the stress of a family in the midst of postpartum depression and the severe stresses on fathers during this adjustment, too. I appreciated all the overtones and the themes of the script. Interestingly, all the baby's problems begin 2 days after vaccination, but they don't press this point. Small town boy makes it big, interfering mother in law, intermarriage, one of them is Jewish, Fans of Sam Rockwell will love this film. His acting is really good, and there is a love scene.
½ September 6, 2014
Well acted but painfully slow.
½ September 5, 2014
Frightening story... about an innocent detail in everyone's life.
½ September 1, 2014
Yeah, I would've murdered at kid. Sorry.
½ August 26, 2014
Spends a very long time slow burning the dread, and we're escorted along this long dreary journey by unlikeable characters behaving just outside being relatable...maybe that's just my take on them...

After all the entirety of this hate filled paranoid trip the pay off in the last minute or two tells us what we'd suspected all along in a nice patronizing song.

I haven't been angered by a movie in quite some time but this one did it well...so there you go, avoid at all cost.
April 14, 2014
Joshua is a perfect and smart psychological thriller with kids as the leading role. Not horror, but the tension in this film so dark and thrilled. Slow in story-telling but geniusly sure.