Jurassic World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jurassic World Reviews

January 22, 2017
much better movie Jurassic Park 3
½ January 21, 2017
Jurassic World is a disappointment, it loses all the fun and adventure that the original provides and it gets very boring as the movie goes on, by the end you really won't see anything really happen with this film. The special effects are really good but the action doesn't wow me.
January 18, 2017
Raptors kid. Raptors.
½ January 15, 2017
What do you call a blind dinosaur?
Doyouthinkhesaurus
½ January 13, 2017
I Really like This Movie Better Then Jurassic Park Good Job Chris Pratt! HAVE A COOKIE!
January 11, 2017
Jurassic World knows exactly what it is, and it knows what you expect it to be, and it knows what you're afraid it will be. It's not trying desperately to disprove you, either. It's confident in what it's doing. This is a family friendly film about huge dinosaurs, and it's a love letter to Jurassic Park. There's themes in it too which are easy to overlook. It's simultaneously modern while critiquing the modern. It's filled with corporate sponsorship while mocking it. Our characters are lacking depth in this iteration but that's like, totally on purpose. The adults are comic book characters, exactly what we're afraid they would be and exactly what a kid would expect to see. All I'm saying is, give the film a chance. It knows what you know and it knows a little bit more. P.S. The first time I watched it in a cinema the finale almost made me cry.
½ January 7, 2017
I thought this was pretty much rubbish. The story was totally predictable and not good enough to back up the CGI which was obviously what this film was all about; taking advantage of advances in technology since the originals were made.
January 6, 2017
This movie is a great watch. I love Chris Pratt. But, there wasn't any chemistry between him and the girl. She is a good actress but she did not do this film justice. They needed another person for that part. Besides that good thrill.
½ January 2, 2017
Truly one of the worst films I've ever had the mispleaure of witnessing. What characters? What plot? The only thing this movie cares about is referencing better movies, advertising, and showing off a lame dinosaur. It brings me to tears.
½ January 1, 2017
It's probably been 20 years since I first watched Jurassic Park as a little kid. Like many others, I have many fond memories of this film (Though perhaps I was a bit too young to be watching a film that is rather terrifying for children). Then again, what kind of asshole doesn't like Jurassic Park? It's one of the best blockbusters ever made, and remains forever rewatchable without getting old because of its lasting power on viewers to thrill, scare, and leave you on the edge of your seat.

Even as an adult, the prospect of watching a film with dinosaurs remains as enamoring and joyous as ever because these types of films bring out the little kid in all of us. Hell, I even enjoy The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III (Even with the ridiculous gymnast scene and hypocritical environmentalist messages in The Lost World and Tea Leoni's nails-on-chalkboard screaming in Jurassic Park III) and I always will enjoy those rather divisive entries of the Jurassic Park series.

So, when a fourth entry was announced, I was absolutely ecstatic even with the possibility of being burned by a bad franchise entry (Oh, the pain of A Good Day To Die Hard and Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull...the pain. *Lies in fetal position in corner and cries like a little girl*). So excited was I, that the only film I was more excited and dying to see in theaters in 2015 was Mad Max: Fury Road (A fucking amazing film and one of my favorites of the decade). Not even a new Star Wars film was capable of topping my excitement of a new Jurassic Park film (Sorry, Star Wars. As much as I love you and as much I would enjoy The Force Awakens...move the fuck over! It's a new Jurassic Park flick!).

As you can see by my rating, I was not disappointed by Jurassic World. While purists will always scoff at this film for not being as good as Jurassic Park and bemoan how silly it is, Jurassic World is the best entry of the series since the original film and it has now become a cherished film for me that much like the original, will be forever rewatchable and ass-kicking. So, with the orgasmic John Williams score for Jurassic Park playing in the background to get me in the mood for writing this review, let me tell you why I love Jurassic World.

It's been over 20 years since the events of Jurassic Park, and from the ashes of the original park, a new park - Jurassic World - has been established on the same island of Isla Nublar and has become a popular resort and tourist attraction with the latest high-tech equipment.

The story revolves around multiple characters, and early on, we are introduced to brothers, Zach and Gray. Their parents are going through a divorce, and before they split up, the boys are sent to Jurassic World for a vacation and to see their aunt, Claire, who is an operations manager at the facility. Gray is excited to see the dinosaurs and the sights, while Zach is mostly bored and annoyed that he has to babysit his brother.

Another main character in the plot is Claire, who as the operations manager of the facility spends much of her time trying to recruit new investors in the park and find new ways to increase visitor turnout. One of the new attractions is a new dinosaur created from a myriad number of D.N.A. sources called the Indominus Rex. However, the exhibit has had to delay the opening of the new exhibit because of the dinosaur's troubling behaviors, like eating a companion created for it and trying to break through the reinforced glass.

The last of the main characters is Owen a Navy veteran, who works as a trainer for the velociraptors. Owen is pestered by Vic Hoskins, who works for InGen and is trying to get the raptors trained for military purposes to send in combat zones instead of soldiers (Despite Owen explaining how incredibly stupid this plan is, like asking what would happen if they forgot to feed the raptors).

In preparation for the opening of the Indominus Rex exhibit, Claire approaches Owen at the behest of her boss to provide feedback about the new dinosaur and how to possibly handle it, which is partly strained not only Owen's objection to a freakish new dinosaur creation, but also the fact that he and Claire had a brief fling, further complicating matters. But, he agrees to come and observe the new dinosaur.

However, things are amiss when they get to the exhibit and Claire is unable to find the dinosaur in its paddock via heat sensor, and discovers troubling signs like claw marks on the walls of the paddock, making them believe that it has possibly escaped. Claire drives back to the command post, while Owen and a couple workers explore the paddock, trying to figure out if the dinosaur has escaped.

But during her drive back, Claire gets troubling news from the command post that the dinosaur is in fact, still in its paddock according to its tracking device. Unfortunately for Owen and the workers, this is discovered to be correct when the dinosaur emerges from hiding and kills one of the workers. When the gate to the paddock is opened, all hell breaks loose when the dinosaur escapes, wreaking havoc not only on other dinosaurs, but also the park visitors.

Meanwhile, during their exploration of the park (And ditching Claire's appointed babysitter), Zach and Gray have wandered into a restricted area with the gyrospheres, only to get caught up in the ensuing disaster as well.

Now, the boys, Claire, and Owen must find a way to stop the Indominus Rex and survive against the dinosaur's cunning abilities thanks to its mixture of genetic sources.

The story is undeniably silly and filled to the brim with bizarre plot holes (How does this park have WORSE security measures than the original park? Why is the door to the Indominus Rex paddock big enough to fit the damn dinosaur through? How does one start a Jeep that has been sitting around for 20+ years?), but it manages to still be a rather entertaining ride.

Not only that, but the story itself is more clever than what people give it credit for, thanks to its rather sly meta humor about product placement ("Verizon Wireless presents: the Indominus Rex," quips Claire at one point in the film) as well as throwing jabs at people who are going to complain that the film isn't scientifically-accurate when Dr. Wu explains how the dinosaur came to be. It's also genuinely funny at certain points, particularly with scenes between Owen and Claire.

In short, the story is utterly preposterous, but also entertaining both unintentionally (The Indominus Rex can not only camouflage itself, but is also part raptor - SPOILERS) and also in its interesting satire it throws in every now and then to viewers who pay attention. Its more intelligent than it lets on, but still very stupid nonetheless...but in a good way. It has the aura of a script filled with ideas pitched to the writers by 10-year-olds...and I love it for that.

The acting is also rather solid across the board. Chris Pratt as Owen makes for a charismatic, entertaining, and funny action hero which plays quite nicely. Bryce Dallas Howard as Claire works well as a stuck up workaholic, but proves to be rather charming and funny, too, when she wants to be. I must also give props to the actors playing the children - Ty Simpkins as Gray and Nick Robinson as Zach - for also delivering good performances, being likable, and never being annoying unlike the curse that befalls many child characters in these sorts of blockbusters.

As a popcorn action flick, Jurassic Park delivers most splendidly, complete with all the trimmings and fancy special effects to be expected from a $150 million budget. It contains all the dinosaur mayhem one could ever want from a flick, including a glorious showdown between *SPOILERS* the Indominous Rex, raptors, Tyrannosaurus Rex, and Mosasaurus bringing out the child-like joy from any viewer who isn't a completely pretentious, un-fun shithead. I don't want to know that person who can't get a kick out of that scene. If you can't at least enjoy that scene, you're not worth watching films with.

Needless to say, if you're an action fan, Jurassic World delivers the goods in plentiful helpings to satisfy your cravings.

Overall, while Jurassic World will never top Jurassic Park, it's still a damn fine popcorn flick and one that I am sure to watch many times for the remainder of my life. It's well-directed, action-packed, well-acted, and above all else, a hell of a good time. Thank you, Jurassic World for all the unpretentious fun you have gifted me, and I greatly look forward to Jurassic World 2.
½ January 1, 2017
too much focus on aesthetics and not enough on the actual film, excessive brand placement, and plot holes made this absolutely painful to watch... my bf thought it was good tho
December 31, 2016
Quite a few plot holes and needlessly gruesome deaths (seemingly to ramp up the "wow" factor), but still pretty entertaining.
December 30, 2016
Loved it! Can't wait for Jurassic World 2!
December 28, 2016
An ode to masculinity. (Still - dinosaurs.)
December 28, 2016
Christy Lemire has it on the nose, about corporate greed while ensconced by product placement. Moreover, the characters seem to act about 50% of the time that there's dinos on the loose. The other 50% is dedicated to staring at the sky in the open, drop-jaw marveling.
December 27, 2016
2016-12-27 kept hubby's attention better than tonight's other movie
December 27, 2016
Better than Jurrassic park 3
½ December 27, 2016
It hit every nostalgic note I hoped it would. Chris Pratt takes over the franchise and shows he's here to stay for a while longer than your typical Marvel set piece.
December 26, 2016
After 14 years the JP francgise came back,and JW iswhat the fans want !
December 26, 2016
Jurassic World is still unable to live up to the classic 1993 Spielberg film. Fortunately, the film manages to exceed expectations as well as serve as an amazing improvement over that half-assed Joe Johnston-directed third installment. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard's performances are amazing, the film is just as visually dazzling as one might expect from a big-budget sci-fi movie about dinosaurs released in 2015 and, all in all, it's an action-packed thrill ride. Okay, it does indeed have its implausible moments like the fact that Howard's character of Claire is able to outrun a T-Rex in high heels. Fortunately, Colin Trevorrow manages to execute the end result very well and so the movie is just plain fun.