Kangaroo Jack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kangaroo Jack Reviews

January 6, 2017
Bad movie but great memories.
½ November 26, 2016
Since when does touching a woman's breasts and making gay jokes qualify as family entertainment?
½ November 24, 2016
Kangaroo Jack was good for 1 huge laugh, which was where Charlie and Louis are laughing hard and hard then it transitions to Louis crying but Charlie is still laughing because Louis just realized he put $50,000 inside the red jacket he just put on Jack just for fun and so Charlie is hitting Louis like a punching bag for being such an idiot putting all that money inside the wallet Jack's wearing. And then after that, the movie becomes unwatchable dribbling nonsense.
½ October 28, 2016
Christopher Walken has put his name to some very weak films and he always seems to get away with it. This is one of them. A mafia comedy set mainly in the Australian outback with all the stereotypes that they can safely get away with and a stupid story about a Kangaroo that runs off with their money.
½ September 1, 2016
This... is... GARBAGE!
½ August 12, 2016
This movie is so racist, I was so offended. How did they even get the guns into the country, Australia has strict gun law? There are so many plot holes it's rediculous.
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
Pretty funny, Deserved way more credit, Ok it was very silly but it was different and to this day it still makes me laugh.
July 25, 2016
Barely any kangaroo. Misleading. This should have been an adult movie. You could have replaced it with a rock and the movie still would have went out the same.
May 27, 2016
One of those painfully unfunny "kids" movies you can't let your children watch for actually being crudely misguided
½ April 24, 2016
"Australia, the Land Down Under... home to 20 million Kangaroos..." What a great start to a movie!

The only problem with the movie Kangaroo Jack is that Kangaroo Jack, a lively marsupial that we were lead to believe was the main character, is not the main character. That's right, in fact, the main characters are Charlie Carbone (Jerry O'Connell) and Louis Booker (Anthony Anderson) from Brooklyn. This movie was not what one might have expected. We were lead to believe it was about Kangaroo Jack, an animated talking marsupial who resides in Australia, however, it spends about half of the movie in Brooklyn fleshing out the character roles of Charlie and Louis. By the way, it doesn't do a great job of that either.

This movie is a slapstick family comedy that will be a hit for little ones who don't think much about story lines, or lowbrow humor, or having sexual innuendos go over their head.

Here's a quick summary of the movie. It begins with a flashback to introduce the main characters and then flashes forward into the lives of Charlie (Jerry O'Connell) and Louis (Anthony Anderson). Louis has a job he needs help with and some to find out it was delivery stolen TVs. After a police chase scene they end up where Charlie's mob boss step dad was storing stolen goods. This makes Sal (Charlie's step dad) very angry and he send them on a mission to Australia. This was basically just a ton of bland chase scenes and a very strange ending.

For a family film, this one was pretty violent. It seems that everyone brandishes a gun at some point and it crosses the line a bit with this quote from Mr. Smith where he says, "I'll chop you into snags and feed you to the crocs." Add to that the fact that the only female role is an overly sexy wildlife foundation employee and we end up with not the most family-friendly image.

In essence, the comedy was nothing above juvenile, the violence was a bit over the top for a family comedy, and, most importantly, Kangaroo Jack only has a handful of parts to play. If you were expecting the lively kangaroo from the trailer to take the show, then this movie will disappoint you. He simply does not play as big of a part in the movie as the trailer led us to believe.

I don't even want to mention the fact that the whole time it felt as if the director's didn't know whether to make the kangaroo as close to natural as possible or to make him the lively talking kangaroo we saw in the trailers. If only the airplane lavatory scene could have saved this film from an onslaught of poor reviews and disappointment.

This movie is great for audiences with low attention spans and ones who don't care about the plot, or really anything that makes the movie good. As for the rest of us, don't waste your time. You're better off watching Elf which was also released in 2003. It took the comedy aspect of this movie and made it flourish.
February 18, 2016
This movie has good scenery and I don't like how it takes place in Australia it might make you think to go there. What I think is funny is that The kangaroo had the money and they are trying to get him back. So this is a funny movie. Give it a try
February 14, 2016
"Kangaroo Jack" contains poor performances, a thin plot line and typical cliché laughs to win the hearts of children all at the same time involving violence and dirty jokes to keep parents at bay, too. It's a bizarre mixture that just doesn't work.
February 1, 2016
Stupid stupid stupid. Everything about this movie is terrible and I do not recommend it at all
½ November 12, 2015
Quite funny at time.
September 22, 2015
I honestly expected worse from a movie called "Kangaroo Jack"! B
½ September 13, 2015
not as bad as I thought it would be. bits of toilet humor saved it.
September 10, 2015
Very misleading trailer (not that it mattered much). Added one star because Estella Warren is gorgeous
½ August 31, 2015
A funny comedy, and a must watch
½ August 27, 2015
A sort of guilty pleasure