Kangaroo Jack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kangaroo Jack Reviews

June 2, 2018
Hey kids, do you want to see a wacky family comedy about two guys who get constantly kicked by a rapping CGI kangaroo? Well, too bad because the kangaroo isn't the main character, he only occasionally appears in a pathetic attempt to justify the title, it's mostly two guys chasing him and you know that bit where he raps in the trailer? Sorry but it's a dream sequence that was only meant for the trailer. Instead, you get a mix between an unfunny family comedy and an unfunny crime comedy. Because surely, unintentional sexual harassment is what every 8-year-old wants to see in their movie about a Looney Tunes kangaroo. Yes, this movie is not as family-friendly as the advertising may have led you to believe. While the movie was released at a time when all PG-rated comedies were trying to be edgy in the wake of Shrek's success, the reason why it didn't work here because there's no subtlety. The script casually admits saying crap like "...make your testicles fall off" and "We're having a very intimate, non-gay moment". While children are going to learn about this stuff eventually, at least don't mention them verbatim. If Disney can write a song about an old man lusting for a much younger woman and wanting to avoid damnation without directly saying "Sex is evil and I am horny", then surely you can make some improvements as well, Warner Bros. I'll admit Christopher Walken was the best thing about this movie and I got a laugh in just one scene which for me was basically if the writers of Austin Powers made a kids' movie(?). The humour is terrible, the action is unexciting, the characters are generic, the content is VERY PG-13, the CGI kangaroo is nightmarish and not very convincing even when he's not CGI and this movie also has the most insulting special features I've ever seen. If you go to the bonus features menu on the DVD, everyone behaves as if the kangaroo is a big part of the movie. Must be some slow days for his voice actor. There's even a behind-the-scenes on HOW THEY MADE CAMELS FART!!! It says a lot about the quality of your movie when your crowning achievement in sound design was flatulence. Kangaroo Jack is awful!
May 17, 2018
Greatest movie of all time! Fuck whoever says anything else..
April 27, 2018
My fav movie ever! SO FUNNI
October 29, 2017
Kangaroo Jack is so terrible because it lacks an identity for who its made for.
jamrcla
September 23, 2017
Pretty funny, Deserved way more credit, Ok it was very silly but it was different and to this day it still makes me laugh plus the kids will love it even if there's little bits that will be abit strong for some up tight parents.
½ September 14, 2017
Comedy equivalent to road kill.
September 14, 2017
I've never heard or seen this film & I never will watch it.
½ September 4, 2017
This... is... GARBAGE!
June 11, 2017
This movie is so underrated. Its a gem of fun.
May 17, 2017
Not worth watching a boring movie with not a good plot
January 6, 2017
Bad movie but great memories.
½ November 26, 2016
Since when does touching a woman's breasts and making gay jokes qualify as family entertainment?
½ November 24, 2016
Kangaroo Jack was good for 1 huge laugh, which was where Charlie and Louis are laughing hard and hard then it transitions to Louis crying but Charlie is still laughing because Louis just realized he put $50,000 inside the red jacket he just put on Jack just for fun and so Charlie is hitting Louis like a punching bag for being such an idiot putting all that money inside the wallet Jack's wearing. And then after that, the movie becomes unwatchable dribbling nonsense.
½ October 28, 2016
Christopher Walken has put his name to some very weak films and he always seems to get away with it. This is one of them. A mafia comedy set mainly in the Australian outback with all the stereotypes that they can safely get away with and a stupid story about a Kangaroo that runs off with their money.
½ August 12, 2016
This movie is so racist, I was so offended. How did they even get the guns into the country, Australia has strict gun law? There are so many plot holes it's rediculous.
July 25, 2016
Barely any kangaroo. Misleading. This should have been an adult movie. You could have replaced it with a rock and the movie still would have went out the same.
May 27, 2016
One of those painfully unfunny "kids" movies you can't let your children watch for actually being crudely misguided
½ April 24, 2016
"Australia, the Land Down Under... home to 20 million Kangaroos..." What a great start to a movie!

The only problem with the movie Kangaroo Jack is that Kangaroo Jack, a lively marsupial that we were lead to believe was the main character, is not the main character. That's right, in fact, the main characters are Charlie Carbone (Jerry O'Connell) and Louis Booker (Anthony Anderson) from Brooklyn. This movie was not what one might have expected. We were lead to believe it was about Kangaroo Jack, an animated talking marsupial who resides in Australia, however, it spends about half of the movie in Brooklyn fleshing out the character roles of Charlie and Louis. By the way, it doesn't do a great job of that either.

This movie is a slapstick family comedy that will be a hit for little ones who don't think much about story lines, or lowbrow humor, or having sexual innuendos go over their head.

Here's a quick summary of the movie. It begins with a flashback to introduce the main characters and then flashes forward into the lives of Charlie (Jerry O'Connell) and Louis (Anthony Anderson). Louis has a job he needs help with and some to find out it was delivery stolen TVs. After a police chase scene they end up where Charlie's mob boss step dad was storing stolen goods. This makes Sal (Charlie's step dad) very angry and he send them on a mission to Australia. This was basically just a ton of bland chase scenes and a very strange ending.

For a family film, this one was pretty violent. It seems that everyone brandishes a gun at some point and it crosses the line a bit with this quote from Mr. Smith where he says, "I'll chop you into snags and feed you to the crocs." Add to that the fact that the only female role is an overly sexy wildlife foundation employee and we end up with not the most family-friendly image.

In essence, the comedy was nothing above juvenile, the violence was a bit over the top for a family comedy, and, most importantly, Kangaroo Jack only has a handful of parts to play. If you were expecting the lively kangaroo from the trailer to take the show, then this movie will disappoint you. He simply does not play as big of a part in the movie as the trailer led us to believe.

I don't even want to mention the fact that the whole time it felt as if the director's didn't know whether to make the kangaroo as close to natural as possible or to make him the lively talking kangaroo we saw in the trailers. If only the airplane lavatory scene could have saved this film from an onslaught of poor reviews and disappointment.

This movie is great for audiences with low attention spans and ones who don't care about the plot, or really anything that makes the movie good. As for the rest of us, don't waste your time. You're better off watching Elf which was also released in 2003. It took the comedy aspect of this movie and made it flourish.
February 18, 2016
This movie has good scenery and I don't like how it takes place in Australia it might make you think to go there. What I think is funny is that The kangaroo had the money and they are trying to get him back. So this is a funny movie. Give it a try