Kingsman: The Golden Circle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Reviews

February 17, 2018
Step up from the original and can?t wait for number 3
½ February 17, 2018
i watched this when i was a bit bored, and to be fair, i was expecting it to be a bit shit. It turns out i'd underestimated it though.... This could quite possibly the shittest film I've ever seen. The dialogue is terrible, the jokes are far too laboured and the action sequences are.. for want of a better word, wank. They also managed to hit a level of crudity that i have never before seen outside of a Michael Bay movie - "Oh wow! he planted a tracking device on a baddie by fingering her! Hilarious!"
And if this isn't enough, it has a ridiculously long runtime, I'm guessing the director held held the editing suite at gunpoint lest they dare cut short any of his ridiculous, possibly cocaine fuelled ego trip.
I ended up watching this as a displacement activity, instead of cleaning the house... Which i regret, because spending 2 hours unblocking the drains, mopping floors and scrubbing cat shit out of the carpet would have been much more enjoyable and far more rewarding than sitting through this drivel.
½ February 17, 2018
The need of a new story ruined the characters and their importance.
Not As Good As the First Film, But Still A Fun time
February 16, 2018
Brilliant! As good as the first movie, if not better.
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
(2017)

Plot:
"Kingsman: The Secret Service" introduced the world to Kingsman - an independent, international intelligence agency operating at the highest level of discretion, whose ultimate goal is to keep the world safe. In 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle', our heroes face a new challenge. When their headquarters are destroyed and the world is held hostage, their journey leads them to the discovery of an allied spy organisation in the US called Statesman, dating back to the day they were both founded. In a new adventure that tests their agents' strength and wits to the limit, these two elite secret organisations band together to defeat a ruthless common enemy, in order to save the world, something that's becoming a bit of a habit for Eggsy.

Review:
Being a fan of the first movie, I was really looking forward to seeing how Eggsy (Taron Egerton) had progressed as an agent but now that I've seen the movie, it just felt the same as the original Kingsman. Don't get me wrong, there are some great action scenes, and the some of the new characters were a great addition to the franchise but the concept seemed to follow the same guidelines as the first one, and a lot of the action scenes were really far fetched. The director also killed off all of the interesting characters, and I missed the Eggsy's "bad boy" image, which was what made the original movie so great. Anyway, in this movie Eggsy is forced to takedown the most powerful woman in the world, Poppy (Julianne Moore), after one of her agents, who went to the same training school as Eggsy, threatens to kill him. Poppy then users all of her powers to destroy the Kingsman agency, so Eggsy joins forces with his old agency pal, Merlin (Mark Strong) to revenge his fallen comrades, while he's building a new life with his girlfriend Princess Tilde (Hanna Alstrom). All of the clues track them to another agency in Kentucky, called the Statesman, and while they are using there resources to track down Poppy, they come across there old agency pal Harry Hart (Colin Firth), who was saved by the Statesman when he got shot in the eye. Poppy, who gained her wealth from selling drugs around the world, is fed up with being in hiding in the middle of nowhere, so she puts a killer drug into her drugs and threatens the president that she will kill everyone if he doesn't legalise her drugs. Confusing but pretty straight forward! Although the president doesn't care if all of the criminals die or not, the agency are out to save the world, so they hunt for the antidote, which will also save Eggsy's girlfriend who has taken Poppy's lethal drug. I liked the new characters from the Statesman agency, especially Tequila (Channing Tatum) and Whiskey (Pedro Pascal), and Champ was a great choice for the head of there agency but I don't think that we have seen the most from that agency yet. I was impressed with the attention to detail, and some of the gadgets, like the suitcase and the umbrella, were great but the character building wasn't that great because there was way to much going on. None of the new characters had a back story and the new agency seemed to pop out of nowhere. With that aside, it's quite an entertaining film and it's non-stop from the beginning to end but I still prefer the first movie for it's originality and wit. Watchable!

Round-Up:
This movie was directed by Matthew Vaughn, 46, who also brought you Layer Cake in 2004, Stardust, Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class and the original Kingsman. He also produced Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, Mean Machine, Harry Brown, The Debt, Fantastic Four and Eddie The Eagle, so he's had quite an impressive career to date. It's always hard to make a sequel to a successful movie, so I can understand the pressure that he was under to make this film, which is why he decided to introduce an American agency. Personally I liked the fact that the first movie was based in England, because the whole focus was on Eggsy, who was trying to become a well spoken person, coming from a bad boy background. Now that he has found his feet, it seemed more like a old school Bond film but the director tried to stay true to the characters by bringing back Harry Hart, who was pretty distant through the whole film. Elton John made me laugh throughout the movie and Julianne Moore was perfect as the villain but I still was expecting more from this sequel.

Budget: $104million
Worldwide Gross: $410million

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy
Cast: Taron Egerton, Mark Strong, Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Channing Tatum, Jeff Bridges, Halle Berry, Elton John, Bruce Greenwood, Emily Watson, Pedro Pascal, Edward Holcroft, Hanna Alstrom, Thomas Turgoose, Keith Allen, Michael Gambon and Sophie Cookson. 6/10
½ February 13, 2018
Kingsman appears to be a real "love it or hate it" franchise. It's kind of like Austin Powers, with all the Bond-mocking spy tropes, only way more violent. Personally, it's a guilty pleasure. Here, after the Kingsman facilities in the U.K. are bombed, Eggsy and Merlin must seek the help of Statesman, their American equivalent. It delivers on all the high-tech and over-the-top action of the first movie, even if it doesn't rack up a body count like its predecessor. It's not a very serious movie, but it's great fun. It's still really violent though. It's got plenty of guns, whips, electric lassos, and all that stuff. Oh, and a guy gets shredded by a meat grinder. I can honestly say, that's the most brutal death I've seen on the big screen, possibly ever. There are a few scenes in this movie that make me uncomfortable, although that's not a problem with the movie. The world building, with all of the British and American stereotypes, is actually quite enjoyable and makes for some funny moments. It's an alright movie, but it has a few major flaws. First off, it seems like there were actors who had other priorities, because some of the new characters don't get nearly as much screen time as they should, and it seems like it sets them up for big scenes. Julianne Moore as Poppy, the villain, is still pretty good, but she's no Richmond Valentine. But then again, very few villains are better than Richmond Valentine. Most of the other new characters are forgettable, because they don't get much screen time. They totally wasted Channing Tatum with a character who barely got any screen time. Agent Whiskey was probably the best of the new characters, although the twist with him at the end was a real pisser. The issue with the characters is that it seems like there's a plot in motion, but the right characters aren't used in the right places. But that's alright because Kingsman doesn't appear to be a major franchise. If Marvel or DC put out a movie like this, it would be really bad. But Kingsman isn't much more than a fun time at the movies, and in that regard, it succeeds.
½ February 13, 2018
Para que hicieron esta secuela. Un desastre. Una historia traída de los pelos que mas aburre que entretiene
February 13, 2018
Questo film non ha nulla da invidiare al primo e la scena di Merlino mentre canta Take me Home mi ha fatto commuovere quanto quella di Yondu in GotG vol II
½ February 12, 2018
While not as good as the first one, the movie was still a whole ton of fun with new characters, new weapons, and being overall creative, and wouldn't mind if they made a third one..
February 12, 2018
Obviously this wasn't going to be as good as the first one, which hit the public out of nowhere. But i did enjoy this film. It's a little bit too long but it upholds the charm of the first film and the comedy elements. The villain isn't as gripping as the previous, and the plot is pretty similar when taken to the bone. But the formula works. Can't blame them for that. The introduction of an American secret service made for something new, which added to the original charm that the film held. The characters are just as good as they were the first time round. Even for a light-hearted comedy you do care about the main characters to some extent. The action sequences were of course brilliant. Obviously its lost the shock factor of what i can only call awesome, but that doesn't mean they aren't still good. Anyone who watched the first film more than once will understand that. Sometimes it does play off and rely on the first film too much, but that isn't to take away from what is still an enjoyable and fun film.
February 11, 2018
Terrible sequel. Only a few good scenes. Terrible plot, big name actors that do absolutely nothing. The first was a great movie.
February 11, 2018
slow start, dragging middle and painful final. some epic action scenes but needs more substance. number one got so much right this just couldnt follow suit (mind the pun)
It is such a good film!
½ February 10, 2018
The first one felt like a young James Bond spy thriller/origin movie that had great action, heart, a good villain, and humour sprinkled throughout. The Golden Circle was disappointing. The villain was cartoonish and they went too joke heavy. During scenes where millions of lives were on the line, they're going for a cute punchline. Some of the action felt like a rehash of the original. I loved the original so much. Too bad they couldn't recapture that magic here.
½ February 10, 2018
I hate to say it, but after much thought I just have to conclude that I'm a bit astonished at how bad Kingsman 2 is. I mean, do not get me wrong...there are so many great people in this, and so many great ideas. But this is a horrible goulash of just awful pacing, soundtrack use, directing...it's more than a mess. Frankly, with as many good pieces as they had to work with, this is a travesty. I loved the first Kingsman, as well as Stardust and Kick Ass. Matthew Vaughan definitely was in my good book. But I can't even fathom what on earth happened here. Without giving anything away in case you do see it, I can only point to the way they absolutely waste the talents of Channing Tatum, Julianne Moore, Jeff Bridges, and Halle Berry. On top of that, they take great joy in not only killing beloved characters, but doing so completely pointlessly in ways that make no sense even in terms of this crazy spy world movie. One particular characters death is just mind-blowingly poorly done all the way through, from writing, to directing; it will have you scratching your head for days afterward asking "but...they wouldn't have done that...he wouldn't have done that...it doesn't make any sense...".
The hard part is the visuals have a lot to offer, the opening scene and a couple near the end are fantastic action scenes (though none are as good as the best from the first Kingsman), .... there just seems like so much possibility here. But it's SO bad, so disjointed and senseless, honestly you'll wish you hadn't watched it.
February 10, 2018
My ovaries were still exploding when Taron appeared and the emotion when Merlin died, it's just cruel Jane and Matthew. So cruel. But thanks for Taron tho
February 10, 2018
The first one was lame and this one is lamer, hateful main character, weird villains, dumb plot, idiotic set-pieces, shameful all-around. Well-made at least.
February 9, 2018
Not a bad film, but it's morals were all in the wrong place; made it hard to swallow. Drugs feature in real life and of course many films, but to positively advocate them is extremely wrong. Disappointed.
½ February 9, 2018
terrible....not fun, not exciting...just annoying