The Kite Runner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kite Runner Reviews

July 18, 2016
I'm biased because this is the first premiere I ever went to. Premiere or not, it fearlessly sticks to the book when it would have been so easy to pull its punches and lighten it up.
February 2, 2016
Great Story. I think the creative staff did a great job of recreating a book. Very seldom can a movie do a great job of making a book come to life.

I think part of the success that this story had is that this is a story of the human heart. I think it has really made me realize that Afghanistan was a beautiful place, that has been torn by war for 3 decades. I pray that soon it is returned to a beautiful, peaceful place.

It has made me understand the Afghan's story and the Taliban story. I never understood why or how the Taliban treated their people the way they did, and still don't but think I have a better understanding.
January 30, 2016
Beautifully filmed, illuminating, and at the same time, with parts that were quite difficult to experience. GREAT MOVIE!
½ December 31, 2015
This film had me engaged right from the start. Fantastic characters, good story, and all around fine filmmaking. The casting is perfect and the performances are truly what makes this film so interesting. I genuinely wanted to find out what makes each character tick.
December 6, 2015
"The Kite Runner" is a gripping drama that tackles difficult content and gives us a glimpse into modern Afghan life. It also gives an interesting perspective into kite flying tournaments, which I never realized we're a thing. The film's acting performances are so realistic that you will forget that you are watching fiction. You will feel frustration and anger toward some of the actors because they are so convincing. The story is adapted from the 2003 New York Times bestseller of the same name to deliver a combination of heartwarming moments (the childhood friendship of Amir and Hassan) and heart wrenching ones (racism against Hassan, the portrayal of the Taliban). The highs and lows are connected by excellent character development and the theme of loyalty. I was under the impression that this was a family movie... Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it is a foreign language film, and even more when I discovered some of the content! A few details are suggested instead of shown to keep the film tasteful, but this is definitely a film better suited for mature audiences. If you are in the mood to have a good cry or to have your faith restored in peoples' ability to change and do the right thing, "The Kite Runner" is for you. If you are not in the mood for either of these things, stay far away.
November 9, 2015
The book is a lot better than the film because in the film they missed out some important scenes.
October 10, 2015
A beautiful adaptation of the novel!
½ October 7, 2015
As is so often the case, the film adaptation doesn't quite capture the magic of the book. It starts well, with the first act being the most compelling (the betrayal is just as gut-wrenching as in the book). However, the impending danger and constant jeopardy that is triggered by the Russian invasion and thereon after isn't really conveyed, as the tone is too quickly shifted with the move to America.
In short, this film tends to ignore the wider picture, skipping over the politics to focus on a rather smaller story (fascinating though it is). Films like Hotel Rwanda or Incendies have much more to say about class, ethnicity, and the sacrifice of friendship and innocence during conflict. It's a shame that these elements from The Kite Runner novel were not included, as it would have added context and gravity to the desperate situation the characters find themselves in.
½ September 1, 2015
The Kite Runner is a long film with moving material that just seems out of its place.
June 6, 2015
This movie is great for the reason that it give's up and interesting narrative that doesn't leave us bored out our mind with a damn well job acting as well..i mean near the end it might get sappy, but all in all it was still a great experience 8/10
April 20, 2015
i hated this book. movie probably sucked to. im not even gonna bother checking it out. this book was crap.
April 1, 2015
loved this the first time I seen it
March 6, 2015
Good book adaptation!
½ March 3, 2015
Tries to pull at your heartstrings and succeeds.,,,,good luck not needing a tissue at this uplifting ending.
February 15, 2015
this may be interesting
February 13, 2015
the book was too far better.
½ February 10, 2015
If you read the book first, stay away from the movie. If you haven't, then give it a shot. It's not a terrible movie, but doesn't do the book justice.
½ January 18, 2015
Historia de culpabilidad y redenciĆ²n , pero que peca de melodramatismo y poca verosimiltud , lo mejor las escenas de las cometas al inicio.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A drama movie based from a popular book but i haven't read it so i can't compare. I thought the movie tho was quite good with emotional and great script. Story focus on the hard and sad life in Afghanistan and friendship of 2 young boys with their families.. Usually this is not my type of movie i pickup but time to time i watch them. Overall a well made drama movie in the same spirit as Babel and more.
August 27, 2014
Very simplified version of the book - the book is a must-read!