Knowing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Knowing Reviews

August 26, 2016
Not really sure what I just watched.
August 17, 2016
My all time favorite
August 12, 2016
This movie was amazing. No idea why the bad reviews. Cages best movie.
July 28, 2016
Errrrr, OK, I guess.....

6/10
½ July 18, 2016
Abit of a lackluster ending but a gripping film, The effects were ok the story was good and different, On the whole an entertaining film.
June 3, 2016
I've watch "Knowing" a few years back, rewatched it on Netflix, decided that it was so bad that I have to write a review down to warn people to STAY AWAY from this movie. (And I'll even use proper English, instead of some weird number code, wink wink.)

Knowing is about some weird alien plot to steal children of Earth during the apocalypse. The movie have no highlights, no action sequence, no life lessons (except implying that maybe god and angels are all aliens, a bunch of cold hearted, uncaring overseer). And absolutely nothing to look forward to, except maybe Nicolas Cage if you're a fan.
½ April 24, 2016
The trailer for this movie actually gave it a decent looking plot and a cool idea, which was somewhat right, but failed to show us all the things that broke it. The idea of all the dates of disasters that killed a large number of people on a found piece of paper is cool and original for sure, and if done correctly could have been really cool actually. But instead we get this... I've never been a fan of Nick Cage, although he has been in some decent movies, however hear he's yet again just kinda blah with less than impressive acting supported by a unimpressive script. The weird as hell creepy guys that followed their families around and eventually took their kids turned out to be aliens that we're looking for humans to continue the race I guess. Yes, ALIENS. Where the hell did that come from, because it totally ruined a bad movie, and made the ending one of the stupidest plot twists ever. The scary aspects of the movie weren't overly scary, but were creepy and just had us asking what was even going on. The rocks that were given by the aliens and that were in the camper were never explained, they were just kinda there and marked where the ship would be coming is my best guess. The CGI for the disasters wasn't amazing but not total crap, the plane crash was pretty cool I'll admit, the train less so as it was just kinda outta control, but the fire effects were just garbage. There's literally so much wrong here that I'm forgetting it, simply because I can't fill my brain with that many prove kms happening in such a short time. I watched this purely out of the idea of having all the dates of oncoming disasters being found and witnessing them happen, but instead found aliens, the end of the world, crazy demon kids from horror movies, the world catching on fire, child abduction, and too much time with Cage. Feels like a toned down 2012. Has a good laugh at times I guess.
April 21, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed it and I wasn't looking to find faults with it, I just sat back and went with the film - it's great fun but don't look for happy endings, just one of hope. It's basically a sci-fi thriller concerned with the apocalypse that's initially exposed through a code given to a young child and many year's later by Nicholas Cage's scientist character. His character is already dealing with loss when he's convinced that he's cracked a code (contained within a school time capsule) reveals the date and location of tragedies eventually leads to a really big event. The scenes are filmed well and one is almost watching a character becoming slowly insane with his new found knowledge, as viewers we sympathise with him, it's his journey as a scientist, father and a son. Despite initial thoughts this is not an alien invasion film but one that has a biblical element underlying it. I feel other critics have been too harsh here and I would recommend it to anyone who has a liking for apocalyptic films or those with Nick Cage in them - he's really good in this. It's a couple of hours worth watching with a mug of tea in one hand and a packet of biscuits in the other.
½ April 13, 2016
All I am knowing is this movie sucks
April 1, 2016
From creepy to kind of sad, this movie was better than expected.
½ March 29, 2016
Typical nicholas cage movie
March 20, 2016
im glad im not the only person that really liked this movie after reading roger ebert's review(which made me like it even more.) when i walked out of the theatre i was like everyone else, that was one bizarre movie, but after a while i realized thats what i kind of liked about it. to me it felt kind of different. i liked the interesting risks it took. it felt somewhat original, which alex proyas is usually good at. anyway i could still see how people could hate it, its just im not in that group.
March 17, 2016
The great man has to deal with some Nostradamus type shit. The first half is decent and enjoyable but the latter part is really poor and ruins what was a very promising premise. The CGI is extremely dodgy Aswell.
February 28, 2016
For weeks I have been waiting; waiting to watch that one film, that elusive film that would warrant not only a positive review but true praise. I went into Knowing hoping with all my might, if the 30 second trailer was anything to go by this effects-driven supernaturally-touched sci-fi extravaganza would be the one.

I was only half right, well to be fair three quarters. The movie had so much promise and base, well for at least the first hour. If you were actually able to look passed Nicolas Cages over acting, the story premise of whether life is a predetermined fate and or simply a random string of events truly captures you and commands attention.

There is a However. The final cornball out-of-place 1970's close encounters of the dreadful kind last 20 minutes negates all that came before extinguishing any hope the film may have making you want to flee the theatre screaming why did you ruin it? Either that or sit there mockingly humming black and white rerun sci-fi tunes.

Knowing begins at the opening of a new elementary school in 1959, in celebration of the lunch students are asked to submit ideas to help commemorate. Deciding on the burial of a time capsule, students are requested to draw a picture of what they believe 50 years into the future will look like.

Whilst drawing; the winning student, a troubled Wednesday Adams looking young girl Lucinda Embry (Lara Robinson), becomes visibly possessed, covering both sides of her page in seemingly obscure numbers. Although disheartened by Lucinda's continual antisocial and detached behaviour, the teacher places her offering into the capsule nonetheless.

Fast forwarding 50 years, newly widowed MIT professor and astrophysicist John Koestler (Nicolas Cage) and his hearing "scrambled" son Caleb (Chandler Canterbury) are attempting to cope with his wife's death. John spends his days teaching but his night's finding the bottom of a whisky bottle.

During the 50th anniversary unearthing of the time capsule, Caleb receives Lucinda's bizarre offering. Deciding it must be some kind of puzzle; Caleb takes it home against school wishes. John confiscates the letter intending to return it to the school. However, as he sits in his drunken evening state and realises that there may be something too seemingly unrelated pattern of numbers.
John spends the night obsessed; googling and researching each pattern relentlessly. Reflecting on his zealous circling patterning, John identifies hidden amongst the numbers is every major human catastrophe taken place since its burial. Listing in order the date and the specific body count (and unbeknownst at the time, the location).

John appeals to his MIT colleague and best friend (Australia's Ben Mendelsohn) and the daughter of Lucinda, Diana Wayland (Another Australian Rose Byrne) attempting to convince them that not only has he not slipped off his own axis and gone mad, but that only he knows where, when and how many people will be affected by the next incident on his list.

Whilst John is running towards each upcoming preordained occurrence, a plane crash, a train derailment; Caleb is being communicated with and visited by a group of albino looking men known as "The Whisperers". Who are they? And are they here to harm or help Caleb?

Knowing is a strong mainstream specimen of modern sci-fi, using striking music and shock visual effects in real-life relatable transport disasters.

Oversimplifying and overdoing everything from character development to plot points, Knowing feels the need exacerbate each side of the religion versus science argument to excruciating detail. Is life random or destined and can we stop it either way?

Unwilling to leave anything to the imagination, every possibility is spelt out; Social and technological breakdowns, familial and philosophical resolutions and the preposterous montage of disaster and demise.

Without giving anything away, the finale with its queasy vomit-inducing subtext is unnecessarily over-the-top is merely more than tacky. Attempting to batter viewers into submission with overused clichés over-exposed blinding lighting and religiously prophetic post-apocalyptic euphoria was mildly offensive.

The Verdict: Knowing initially shows a lot of promise, both in the trailers and through the first 80 minutes of the actual film. However with such a ridiculous climax there was no time left for salvation. If you aren't willing to wait for DVD, by all means go see it, but take my advice and walk out before you see the light. You'll know what I mean!

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 03/04/2009
February 24, 2016
Continuing the recent run of fair to good but not great Nicolas Cage vehicles (Ghost Rider, Next, Bangkok Dangerous) 'Knowing' combines elements of 'The Number 23', 'Next' and last year's 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' remake whilst creating a decent enough premise of it's own. Cage does what Cage does leading us through a mystery/thriller storyline - with some excellent disaster scenes, not to mention an awesome finale - with an aftermath that will surely divide audiences.
February 3, 2016
I don't know what's wrong with you people. Overlook it's deficiencies. It is cool.
January 31, 2016
Great!!
the visual effects were amazing and the story was very original
to see absolutely
January 30, 2016
I understand why there are so many bad reviews on this movie..
it's because it pissed people off when they see movies that express the extinction of human triumph. in this film, there is honestly no way out. I liked this movie alot because it was a unique story and it truly made me want to watch the movie until the sad end.
January 14, 2016
At times, the movie had me watching closely, breathing shallowly and at others I found myself scratching my head, wondering why the writers chose to go "that" direction. I'm not sorry I watched it; wish it had been a little more coherent.