L.A. Confidential - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

L.A. Confidential Reviews

July 16, 2017
very good movie, where the characters have their own unique personality and style that conflicts with one another, but works out well for everyone to work together. Great Film
½ June 22, 2017
L.A. Confidential is very well acted by its great cast, but otherwise immensely boring and almost unwatchable, weakly developed in characters, so uninspired and needlessly complicated in its storyline and technically not that well made too. It is one of the most overrated films I have ever seen and I am thoroughly baffled at why everyone loves it so much.
June 18, 2017
Voluptuosamente cativante. Você quer heróis imaculados e vilões corruptos? Curtis Hanson te oferece tudo isso com muita sofisticação e glamour hollywoodiano.
June 17, 2017
good noir film that brought the world russel crowe and guy pierce
June 2, 2017
1928 Was 69 Years Old In 1997.
½ June 2, 2017
As a Chinese spectator, I can not admire more when it comes to L.A.Confidential in many regards. Without a single detail missed, the director delivered us a complex but tremendous clear- cut story full of many kinds of characters, more precisely, different faces of sorts of men who work as a same title: policeman, plus the picturesque motion image of L.A. especially,that L.A. in 1950s. the movie definitely push the boundary ahead with regard the same category.

Three different cops, say, Edmond is that politician kind who wholeheartedly want to climb to the top of heap, never give a damn about rumors that may come from his colleagues, and officer Bud, who believe that justice must be served and maintained only by violence, because this is what those villains do to the society, which should be used against them either. Sergeant Jack, who works as a real movie star in the bureau for the reason that he just always can grab some tabloid information and can bust scandal stars by privately collaborate with so-called "Hush-hush" magazine''s editor.

In my view, these three policemen are by no meas technically that exemplar-kind, they all in a way lost themselves as time goes. However, a vital point: Night-Owl murder case somehow connected them to each other, and just because of this, some signs of human nature were made appearing as the deep dive into that case goes. Take one line for example. " Why'd you become a cop?", a simple but evocative and profound question must arouse that conscience which may have long gone in Jack's heart. Of course, such a veteran like Jack impossibly forgot his motivation, but that doesn't matter, what matters was that he must realize he should take his own responsibility for his job's sake, and we do not have to bother pointing out the inside change of Edmond. Ironically, a man died in front of a gun who not long before had done asking another man "even if it means paying the consequences", while the latter probably was flirting with that hooker and enjoying his time. Maybe, in a way, we can consider it a sign indicates accomplishing one heavy task sometimes brings a certain risk either, the screenplay just chose Jack and wrote this character dead. Till the end, Bud got what he yearned for and so did Edmond. Power and women, two seems by any means undetachable elements made their different ways head to two different people's palms, and that indeed made this impeccable thriller open exciting new territory while still basing on classic structure of police-and-bandit film.

L.A. Confidential, deserves no less than four-stars ranking if totally reaches no more than five. Well-designed screenplay(albeit it based on that novel), fantastic performance of characters, ravishing landscape, impeccable background music, all without exception made this movie stand out.
June 1, 2017
Frankly I consider this movie as perfect both in cast as in its script and development.
½ May 18, 2017
Both the film and score are easy equals, and great companion pieces, to Chinatown. A bevy of supporting star talent allows Pearce to shine in his own starmaking turn.
May 8, 2017
This film has a complex and at times mystifying plot involving organized crime's decline in Los Angeles and the dirty cops who fill the power vacuum thus created. Each cop and detective gets their own distinct personality and character which drives the story. It also makes for a rich portrait of a workplace in that the culture of the LAPD is exposed and shown to be a product of the identities of the officers who make it up and the decisions they make when confronted with conflicts and roadblocks to their ambitions. There's suspense, wonderful ensemble acting, a great soundtrack, and well-chosen settings that make a great portrait of postwar Los Angeles. This film is a loving tribute to the worlds and the styles of Film Noir and Raymond Chandler garnished with more contemporary attitudes towards the police.
May 6, 2017
A really great noir thriller. The story locks us in from the first moment and doesn't let us go until the odd coda. Everything works beautifully in this film, but special kudos to great performances from all the leads and even the secondary actors. They are all portraying great characters, and do it beautifully. It is impossible to choose the best from amongst Crowe, Pearce, Spacey, Basinger, DeVito and Cromwell.
April 16, 2017
L.A. Confidential has a complicated and interwoven plot. Crowe and Pearce's stories are the most interesting, and arrives in a satisfying conclusion.
March 23, 2017
My favorite movie for SO many reasons. Always the right thing to watch in any situation.
March 15, 2017
It's a movie that is a very original entry in the genre of mystery crime dramas. I enjoyed this movie almost all the way through. It took a little while to get going but the characters are established in an effective way. I also thought the mystery element of the movie was handled well and I wasn't able to figure it out until the reveal near the end. I think it is a well-made movie that will make you think and is full of dramatic and action-packed moments. I think fans of this genre will find plenty to enjoy here.
½ March 7, 2017
The pacing can sometimes slow to a crawl, but when it gets good, it gets GOOD! B
½ February 24, 2017
A juicy and entertaining little noir that somehow manages to never putter or trip up.
February 22, 2017
Two years after delivering us the great The Usual Suspects (1995), Kevin Spacey goes on this other epic crime adventure, with the help of impressive actors, Guy Pearce and Russel Crow. L.A Confidential is a wise movie, with even some suspenseful moments, which is more common in horror movies than serious crime movies, some entertaining gun fights and bloody scenes, and the 1950's settings was a terrific choice, it sets the mood just right. Recommended !!
February 19, 2017
L.A. Confidential is a prime example of a crime movie. It manages to keep keep a long storyline exciting throughout the whole movie and bring across an atmosphere the viewer can really feel himself into. Enemies become friends and friends become enemies, but L.A. Confidential extends imaginations of a corrupt political system to new dimensions. When the pursuit for justice becomes self defense or even revenge, L.A. Confidential is just getting started.
February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by James Ellroy. A strong, well made, well cast, American crime drama set in the 1950s. Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, James Cromwell, Kevin Spacey, and Kim Basinger all help to make this film memorable.
½ January 28, 2017
L.A. Confidential (1997) C-138m. ??? 1/2 D: Curtis Hanson. Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, James Cromwell, Kim Basinger, Danny DeVito. Masterful examination of corruption among Los Angeles police department in the 1950s. Spacey is grimy police officer working for sleazy tabloid. Crowe is brutal cop. Pierce is his alter ego, playing a straight policeman. They all get involved in an investigation of a series of murders. Hanson perfectly brings to life 1950s L.A. to vivid life, and his actors couldn't be better. Brian Helgeland and Hanson scripted from James Ellroy's novel (they both won Oscars). Basinger also won supporting actress Oscar in beautifully made film. Off the Record, on the QT, and Very Hush Hush!
January 2, 2017
L.A. Confidential is a complex, absorbing noir led by a trio of captivating performances from Kevin Spacey, Russel Crowe, and Guy Pierce.