L.A. Confidential - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

L.A. Confidential Reviews

December 5, 2017
****
'L.A. Confidential' is an excellent crime-noir, and has all the ingredients you would expect from such a genre: great acting, a twisty-turney overly-complicated plot, a love interest, and plenty of shoot-outs. It's well-made and engaging, and features a classic score and impressive cinematography. It's not perfect - the ending is a little weak, I thought. Without spoiling anything, I think it would have been much better to reveal the truth instead, and this would have been more in-line with the characters also. Despite this, it's still a great watch and a classic noir that should be seen.
October 16, 2017
Shoulda beat Titanic for best picture. One of the greatest movies ever made.
September 27, 2017
One of the best movie of all time. I love that the tree main characters have different personality's
September 20, 2017
Director, Curtis Hanson (The River Wild, and 8 Mile) directs a crime thriller set in the 1950's. This film is filled with a great cast of actors who all deliver great and powerful performances. This film is filled with suspense and has some great and intense action sequences sprinkled throughout. This film is a modern take on noir films set in the 1950's, and is based off of the James Ellroy novel, L.A. Confidential. This is one great leap for director, Curtis Hanson, as he's directed some pretty great films (The Bedroom Window, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, The River Wild, 8 Mile, etc.) The list goes on. This is a must see for everyone!
½ September 15, 2017
Great flick with a great cast! Possibly Guy Pearces best performance in a movie?!
September 10, 2017
With top-notch performances, a brilliantly written and complex plot with great twists, as well as a huge amount of development within the arcs of the multiple characters, 'L.A. Confidential' is a masterpiece of modern-day noir cinema. Despite so much going on, it's never confusing or messy, not wasting any screen time on something that doesn't advance the story. It's atmospheric and wildly entertaining with everything coming together for an explosive finale that will have you thrilled to no end.
September 7, 2017
L.A. Confidential is another film-noir inspired masterpiece that reminds us why many films take influence in the genre's style
½ September 3, 2017
L.A. Confidential is an incredible movie. Curtis Hanson does a fantastic job of directing this movie. He somehow manages to merge three different cops storylines all perfectly together with each other. This is definitely an old school crime noir film. The acting is fantastic from Guy Pierce, Russell Crowe, and Kim Basinger. This film has a great script, fantastic cinematography, and amazing acting. This film will keep you on the edge of your seat and you are always guessing to who the bad guy is. My only flaw with the film is that I wish they would of ended it a few minuets before because I disliked a decision they made that felt a little unbelievable, other than that this is a perfect film. This is a must see film! One of the great crime drama's of all time!
½ August 4, 2017
I had a hard time understanding the many characters. A second viewing might allow me to fully appreciate this film, but I don't think a second viewing will happen.
½ July 31, 2017
Well-paced and unpredictable, LA Confidential makes good use of its impressive script.
July 16, 2017
very good movie, where the characters have their own unique personality and style that conflicts with one another, but works out well for everyone to work together. Great Film
½ June 22, 2017
L.A. Confidential is very well acted by its great cast, but otherwise immensely boring and almost unwatchable, weakly developed in characters, so uninspired and needlessly complicated in its storyline and technically not that well made too. It is one of the most overrated films I have ever seen and I am thoroughly baffled at why everyone loves it so much.
June 18, 2017
Voluptuosamente cativante. Você quer heróis imaculados e vilões corruptos? Curtis Hanson te oferece tudo isso com muita sofisticação e glamour hollywoodiano.
June 17, 2017
good noir film that brought the world russel crowe and guy pierce
June 2, 2017
1928 Was 69 Years Old In 1997.
½ June 2, 2017
As a Chinese spectator, I can not admire more when it comes to L.A.Confidential in many regards. Without a single detail missed, the director delivered us a complex but tremendous clear- cut story full of many kinds of characters, more precisely, different faces of sorts of men who work as a same title: policeman, plus the picturesque motion image of L.A. especially,that L.A. in 1950s. the movie definitely push the boundary ahead with regard the same category.

Three different cops, say, Edmond is that politician kind who wholeheartedly want to climb to the top of heap, never give a damn about rumors that may come from his colleagues, and officer Bud, who believe that justice must be served and maintained only by violence, because this is what those villains do to the society, which should be used against them either. Sergeant Jack, who works as a real movie star in the bureau for the reason that he just always can grab some tabloid information and can bust scandal stars by privately collaborate with so-called "Hush-hush" magazine''s editor.

In my view, these three policemen are by no meas technically that exemplar-kind, they all in a way lost themselves as time goes. However, a vital point: Night-Owl murder case somehow connected them to each other, and just because of this, some signs of human nature were made appearing as the deep dive into that case goes. Take one line for example. " Why'd you become a cop?", a simple but evocative and profound question must arouse that conscience which may have long gone in Jack's heart. Of course, such a veteran like Jack impossibly forgot his motivation, but that doesn't matter, what matters was that he must realize he should take his own responsibility for his job's sake, and we do not have to bother pointing out the inside change of Edmond. Ironically, a man died in front of a gun who not long before had done asking another man "even if it means paying the consequences", while the latter probably was flirting with that hooker and enjoying his time. Maybe, in a way, we can consider it a sign indicates accomplishing one heavy task sometimes brings a certain risk either, the screenplay just chose Jack and wrote this character dead. Till the end, Bud got what he yearned for and so did Edmond. Power and women, two seems by any means undetachable elements made their different ways head to two different people's palms, and that indeed made this impeccable thriller open exciting new territory while still basing on classic structure of police-and-bandit film.

L.A. Confidential, deserves no less than four-stars ranking if totally reaches no more than five. Well-designed screenplay(albeit it based on that novel), fantastic performance of characters, ravishing landscape, impeccable background music, all without exception made this movie stand out.
June 1, 2017
Frankly I consider this movie as perfect both in cast as in its script and development.
½ May 18, 2017
Both the film and score are easy equals, and great companion pieces, to Chinatown. A bevy of supporting star talent allows Pearce to shine in his own starmaking turn.
May 8, 2017
This film has a complex and at times mystifying plot involving organized crime's decline in Los Angeles and the dirty cops who fill the power vacuum thus created. Each cop and detective gets their own distinct personality and character which drives the story. It also makes for a rich portrait of a workplace in that the culture of the LAPD is exposed and shown to be a product of the identities of the officers who make it up and the decisions they make when confronted with conflicts and roadblocks to their ambitions. There's suspense, wonderful ensemble acting, a great soundtrack, and well-chosen settings that make a great portrait of postwar Los Angeles. This film is a loving tribute to the worlds and the styles of Film Noir and Raymond Chandler garnished with more contemporary attitudes towards the police.
May 6, 2017
A really great noir thriller. The story locks us in from the first moment and doesn't let us go until the odd coda. Everything works beautifully in this film, but special kudos to great performances from all the leads and even the secondary actors. They are all portraying great characters, and do it beautifully. It is impossible to choose the best from amongst Crowe, Pearce, Spacey, Basinger, DeVito and Cromwell.