The Ladykillers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ladykillers Reviews

½ July 22, 2018
Hilarious! Great movie and one of Tom Hanks best characters.
July 12, 2018
A lot better than I figured it would be. I had never heard of this back in 04 or don't remember it. The ratings are lower than they should be. One of Tom Hanks most underrated films. Definitely worth a watch for sure.
½ May 15, 2018
I can scarcely contain my glee when I see this movie, I have seen it many time as the language of Tom Hanks is just magical, one of my top movies ever
January 25, 2018
Non sarą di certo il film pił spiccato, divertente o intelligente che i Coen abbiano prodotto, ma questo strano remake riesce ad avere il suo fascino. Si tratta di una storia che porta tiepide risate, con un tocco molto dark che rende il film una black comedy a tutti gli effetti. I personaggi sono ben caratterizzati e le loro interazioni sono la parte migliore della pellicola, con interpretazioni molto intense e sopra le righe. Si tratta di un'esperienza molto leggera e temporanea, un filler senza troppe pretese della filmografia di questi grandi registi.
½ January 21, 2018
A fun, character driven movie I dug.
½ August 8, 2017
A funny film that is dark in it's own comedic way, and is certainly a feel good film that shouldn't be as criticized as it is.
July 23, 2017
Very poor film. Nothing like the original.
April 26, 2017
Sad to see Tom Hanks play a charicature in a terrible comedy next to Marlon Wayans.
April 23, 2017
It's a shame the genius of this film was overlooked because of its rating. Had they cleaned up the language this film would have done much better with a wider audience and a different rating.
½ January 25, 2017
This movie was bust a gut hilarious the first time I saw it. It seemed not as funny my second watch. Now, I take advantage to see my favorite parts every time it plays on one of the premium channels. There are some classic lines. "I smite, you smite, he smite...we done smite," "Jackass you done blewt your goddamn finger off," "IBS, You be what," I could go on. Let's not forget the Colonel's longwinded, high falutin, pompous speech.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 20, 2016
Irreverent dark comedy of the greatest brothers Coen. Good interpretation grotesque and cruel to Tom Hanks. Ben flew between jokes and hilarious scenes
November 27, 2016
The Ladykillers is directed and written by the Coen Brothers, and it stars Tom Hanks, Irma P. Hall, Marlon Wayans, and J.K. Simmons in a black comedy about a group of bank robbers that rented a place with the senior lady as the house owner, and while they try to plan to rob the casino, the lady complicates the situation which makes the group decide to kill her. In terms of Coen Brothers' filmography on them as directors, this is apparently their worst one so far, and watching it on DirecTV, I didn't really understand why it had mixed reviews as this is a fun remake to watch. Tom Hanks is fantastic as a bit of a villain that plays a character that I've not seen from either him or from anyone, and it's enjoyable to watch him act weird. Irma P. Hall is great in it, even if it took her character some time to get used to in the beginning, and the other actors are fun, which I'm glad to see Marlon Wayans be funny again. The characters are memorable, and the humor is pretty funny, even if the first act is not quite as funny as the second half, which is hilarious. There are parts that get too silly or weird for a Coen Brothers movie, and there's some style in there that is definitely a trademark from the directors. The camerawork is impressive looking, and the church songs are something to get you dancing, even if it may not be that necessary except for developing Irma's character. The Ladykillers is not one of the Coen Brothers' best movies, but I enjoyed this weird film that the directors still got it even if it's apparently their worst one in terms for critics.
October 14, 2016
It's undoubtedly got the visual flair of the Coen's best works, and the dialogue is always engaging, but not as great as it would be if it were given by characters rather than caricatures. And it all help but feel inconsequential in it all.
½ October 4, 2016
really funny!hippie hop hahaha.. tom hanks's got everything a movie needs to succeed =D.
September 24, 2016
Truly enjoyable movie.
½ August 17, 2016
When I watched this for the 1st time I didn't know anything abt the original so I enjoyed the film. Better to watch this before the original...
½ August 11, 2016
The chen bros cant make a bad movie but they can make an average one with for them is bad. There is a lot in here they have done before and usually excel at but doesn't work this time.
July 23, 2016
Brilliant film. Hanks was phenomenal.
July 22, 2016
***
It's no masterpiece, but this Coen Brothers comedy gets far too much hate. Some jokes don't hit, but others really do, and the film greatly benefits from the talents of Tom Hanks, and cinematographer Roger Deakins.