The Ladykillers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ladykillers Reviews

April 26, 2017
Sad to see Tom Hanks play a charicature in a terrible comedy next to Marlon Wayans.
April 23, 2017
It's a shame the genius of this film was overlooked because of its rating. Had they cleaned up the language this film would have done much better with a wider audience and a different rating.
½ January 25, 2017
This movie was bust a gut hilarious the first time I saw it. It seemed not as funny my second watch. Now, I take advantage to see my favorite parts every time it plays on one of the premium channels. There are some classic lines. "I smite, you smite, he smite...we done smite," "Jackass you done blewt your goddamn finger off," "IBS, You be what," I could go on. Let's not forget the Colonel's longwinded, high falutin, pompous speech.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 20, 2016
Irreverent dark comedy of the greatest brothers Coen. Good interpretation grotesque and cruel to Tom Hanks. Ben flew between jokes and hilarious scenes
November 27, 2016
The Ladykillers is directed and written by the Coen Brothers, and it stars Tom Hanks, Irma P. Hall, Marlon Wayans, and J.K. Simmons in a black comedy about a group of bank robbers that rented a place with the senior lady as the house owner, and while they try to plan to rob the casino, the lady complicates the situation which makes the group decide to kill her. In terms of Coen Brothers' filmography on them as directors, this is apparently their worst one so far, and watching it on DirecTV, I didn't really understand why it had mixed reviews as this is a fun remake to watch. Tom Hanks is fantastic as a bit of a villain that plays a character that I've not seen from either him or from anyone, and it's enjoyable to watch him act weird. Irma P. Hall is great in it, even if it took her character some time to get used to in the beginning, and the other actors are fun, which I'm glad to see Marlon Wayans be funny again. The characters are memorable, and the humor is pretty funny, even if the first act is not quite as funny as the second half, which is hilarious. There are parts that get too silly or weird for a Coen Brothers movie, and there's some style in there that is definitely a trademark from the directors. The camerawork is impressive looking, and the church songs are something to get you dancing, even if it may not be that necessary except for developing Irma's character. The Ladykillers is not one of the Coen Brothers' best movies, but I enjoyed this weird film that the directors still got it even if it's apparently their worst one in terms for critics.
October 14, 2016
It's undoubtedly got the visual flair of the Coen's best works, and the dialogue is always engaging, but not as great as it would be if it were given by characters rather than caricatures. And it all help but feel inconsequential in it all.
½ October 4, 2016
really funny!hippie hop hahaha.. tom hanks's got everything a movie needs to succeed =D.
September 24, 2016
Truly enjoyable movie.
½ August 17, 2016
When I watched this for the 1st time I didn't know anything abt the original so I enjoyed the film. Better to watch this before the original...
½ August 11, 2016
The chen bros cant make a bad movie but they can make an average one with for them is bad. There is a lot in here they have done before and usually excel at but doesn't work this time.
July 23, 2016
Brilliant film. Hanks was phenomenal.
July 22, 2016
***
It's no masterpiece, but this Coen Brothers comedy gets far too much hate. Some jokes don't hit, but others really do, and the film greatly benefits from the talents of Tom Hanks, and cinematographer Roger Deakins.
June 20, 2016
One of my favorite movies!
May 4, 2016
The Coen Bros get a forever pass thanks to past greatness but this movie stinks. Tom Hanks is surprisingly hilarious like 80's Tom Hanks-ish but the rest of the movie is rotten especially Marlon Wayans' character.
March 1, 2016
underrated but not their best work. Totally understandable story - jk Simmons is great and gives a shout out to our hometown. Grossinger hotel
½ February 5, 2016
"The Ladykillers" is yet another excellent comedy from the Coen brothers and Tom Hanks offers up a fine performance as the deceitful southern smooth-talking crook, "Professor Goldthwait Higginson Dorr."
½ February 1, 2016
I dunno why this coen bros movie got such a bad wrap. it's a great story, hillarious, awesome characters
½ January 31, 2016
If you are a Coen Brothers fan, I can see why this movie doesn't live up to expectations of their other films. But I thought it was a nice, subtle dark comedy of robbery, and reflecting stereotypes of culture of present day (present as of 2004), and the Christian-orientated southern culture.
January 31, 2016
basically, what old southern black people think educated white and asian men act like.