The Ladykillers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ladykillers Reviews

November 27, 2016
The Ladykillers is directed and written by the Coen Brothers, and it stars Tom Hanks, Irma P. Hall, Marlon Wayans, and J.K. Simmons in a black comedy about a group of bank robbers that rented a place with the senior lady as the house owner, and while they try to plan to rob the casino, the lady complicates the situation which makes the group decide to kill her. In terms of Coen Brothers' filmography on them as directors, this is apparently their worst one so far, and watching it on DirecTV, I didn't really understand why it had mixed reviews as this is a fun remake to watch. Tom Hanks is fantastic as a bit of a villain that plays a character that I've not seen from either him or from anyone, and it's enjoyable to watch him act weird. Irma P. Hall is great in it, even if it took her character some time to get used to in the beginning, and the other actors are fun, which I'm glad to see Marlon Wayans be funny again. The characters are memorable, and the humor is pretty funny, even if the first act is not quite as funny as the second half, which is hilarious. There are parts that get too silly or weird for a Coen Brothers movie, and there's some style in there that is definitely a trademark from the directors. The camerawork is impressive looking, and the church songs are something to get you dancing, even if it may not be that necessary except for developing Irma's character. The Ladykillers is not one of the Coen Brothers' best movies, but I enjoyed this weird film that the directors still got it even if it's apparently their worst one in terms for critics.
October 14, 2016
It's undoubtedly got the visual flair of the Coen's best works, and the dialogue is always engaging, but not as great as it would be if it were given by characters rather than caricatures. And it all help but feel inconsequential in it all.
½ October 4, 2016
really funny!hippie hop hahaha.. tom hanks's got everything a movie needs to succeed =D.
September 24, 2016
Truly enjoyable movie.
½ August 17, 2016
When I watched this for the 1st time I didn't know anything abt the original so I enjoyed the film. Better to watch this before the original...
½ August 11, 2016
The chen bros cant make a bad movie but they can make an average one with for them is bad. There is a lot in here they have done before and usually excel at but doesn't work this time.
July 23, 2016
Brilliant film. Hanks was phenomenal.
July 22, 2016
***
It's no masterpiece, but this Coen Brothers comedy gets far too much hate. Some jokes don't hit, but others really do, and the film greatly benefits from the talents of Tom Hanks, and cinematographer Roger Deakins.
June 20, 2016
One of my favorite movies!
May 4, 2016
The Coen Bros get a forever pass thanks to past greatness but this movie stinks. Tom Hanks is surprisingly hilarious like 80's Tom Hanks-ish but the rest of the movie is rotten especially Marlon Wayans' character.
March 1, 2016
underrated but not their best work. Totally understandable story - jk Simmons is great and gives a shout out to our hometown. Grossinger hotel
½ February 5, 2016
"The Ladykillers" is yet another excellent comedy from the Coen brothers and Tom Hanks offers up a fine performance as the deceitful southern smooth-talking crook, "Professor Goldthwait Higginson Dorr."
½ February 1, 2016
I dunno why this coen bros movie got such a bad wrap. it's a great story, hillarious, awesome characters
½ January 31, 2016
If you are a Coen Brothers fan, I can see why this movie doesn't live up to expectations of their other films. But I thought it was a nice, subtle dark comedy of robbery, and reflecting stereotypes of culture of present day (present as of 2004), and the Christian-orientated southern culture.
January 31, 2016
basically, what old southern black people think educated white and asian men act like.
½ January 29, 2016
The performances ruin everything as each one make the characters too weird to be funny and the only person I'm referring to is Marlin Wayans because he sucks the funny out of this with his annoying and rude mannerisms and Although this is a rare role for Tom Hanks he makes it less special due to his boring,weird and creepy delivery. And what makes this weirder is the wardrobe doesn't seem to match the time period.
½ January 28, 2016
Had never even heard of it... but I enjoyed it. Big complaint was that it was near impossible to tell the time period this took place in until half way through, and even at the end I am honestly not quite sure.
January 21, 2016
It is a tired re-try of the Coen brothers' obsession of southern gothic, biblical horror, and bumbling criminal hilarity. The story is predictable and too trite to be disappointed openly.
January 20, 2016
I was pleasantly surprised at this movie. It has a cartoon like intelligence to it reminiscent of the golden days of Looney Toons. Also, I do not want to over-state this, but I feel that this is a Top 10 career role for Tom Hanks. I could not take my eyes or ears off of him! I really enjoyed this movie.
January 17, 2016
You know that saying about pizza, even when it's bad it's still pretty good. I guess you could say the same for the Coens because, honestly, out of all of their films I've seen, this might be the 'worst' one of them. I still haven't watched their entire filmography. But, even with the fact that it's not the Coens at their best, this still ends up being a perfectly enjoyable movie. Stylistically speaking, this is still very much a Coen brothers film. The characters are idiosyncratic and the dialogue is, typically, top-notch. Which is why it's really disappointing that the film's elements never really come together as effectively as one would think they should given all the talent on board in front of and behind the cameras. The cast is top-notch, with Tom Hanks being a really inspired casting choice for the lead as he clearly relished the chance to play a different character than he would normally play. GH is a character that would say just about anything to get his way, he's well-spoken and educated and he uses that to his advantage. He's an anachronism, he looks and sounds more like an old plantation owner more than anything else. The character is well-written and he's, clearly, the most memorable and entertaining part of the film. The rest of the cast, with the exception Irma P. Hall as Marva, while really good, don't really get as much to do or are as interesting GH ends up being. I don't wanna say they're one-dimensional, but they're there because this is a caper movie, after all, and you know different people with different sets of skills. The interplay between the cast is quite good and that's a pretty big part of why the film ends up being as fun as it is. As far as Coens' films go, this is probably one of their more easily accessible and digestible, at least out of the ones I've seen, I know Intolerable Cruelty is a little more mainstream than this, this is still rated R after all, but I don't think that's where the problems of the films lie. Again, the story just doesn't really click as well, I didn't really care for the caper part of the story itself, they just don't do a good job at getting you intrigued about it. You're interesting in where it's heading after the fact, you don't really care about the planning of it and the caper itself. You could also blame the fact that this is a remake, but I wouldn't use that, because the film does still feel like a Coen movie. It's got all the trademarks, so I don't know what you can blame it on. Mid-career slump? Who knows, but their next film after this was No Country For Old Men, one of the best movies of the 2000s. True Grit, which I thought was excellent, was another remake. So if anything is to blame for this film not being up to Coen brothers' usually lofty standards, it might've been a slump they were going through. Even with that, I still enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Good cast and good dialogue help overcome the planning of the caper and the caper itself just not being that exciting to follow and the characters, minus GH and Marva, not being developed as well. Still, if you have Netflix, and you want something that'll keep you entertained for a relatively short time, then this movie is perfectly solid for that. It's not one of the Coens' best efforts but, by that standard, if Uwe Boll directed this movie then it would be his best movie, so that tells you something about how great the Coens are and how bad Boll is.