Larry Crowne - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Larry Crowne Reviews

½ September 5, 2017
Kinda cute, kinda silly. Easy acting for two box office draws that just wanted a quickie for some easy cash. Was it ever in the theaters?
September 5, 2017
I think it should be obvious that we're living in economically difficult times. The economic crash of 2008 was disastrous for the United States and its middle-to-lower class families. This film, released 3 years after that economic crash, was certainly very timely at the moment of its release. Obama's presidency put a dent in the unemployment rates (as much as other parties will refute that, the numbers don't lie), but it's still not smooth sailing for a lot of people. There was a movie like this I saw a few months ago and it was called Get a Job. It looked at different people, mostly millenials, struggling to find a steady job that pays well and makes them happy. It also looked at someone who's a little bit older and how difficult it was for them to get back in the game and finding a job at a more advanced age. Ironically speaking, the older character in Get a Job was played by Bryan Cranston, who plays a character in this movie as well. I think Get a Job failed in the fact that it tried to focus on too many characters' stories without putting much detail into any one of them. I think this movie simplifies that, since it focuses on Larry's journey back to college to get a degree for himself so he won't get downsized again. I'll be honest, the only reason I probably even gave this a shot is because I love Tom Hanks. That's really the only reason honestly. I love Tom Hanks and, even if the film might not be great, his likability will make any movie an easy watch. And that's precisely what I can say about this movie. This might be one of the most inoffensive movies I have ever seen. It's about as harmless and as friendly as it can possibly be. And, really, that might be one of the best things about it. There's not many movies like this out there, films that, really, have no antagonistic characters (outside of Larry getting fired right after the movie starts). The tone of the movie is very positive. Larry, while struggling after a divorce and now losing his job, always maintains a positive attitude about what he's doing. Larry befriends everyone around him, falls in love with his teacher, etc, etc. I don't wanna say this is bubblegum pop, because I've seen some bubbly South Korean rom-coms that fit that description more than this one, but it's pretty harmless. There's nothing inherently wrong with a film being harmless, but it just has to be one that's entertaining to watch. And, honestly, outside of Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, George Takei and Bryan Cranston (in the scenes that he is in), there's really not much to this at all in the slightest. And I mean in terms of comedy. There's a few chuckles, for sure, but there's not what I would say a consistent tone as it relates to the comedy. I don't really think they could have mined for gold with this concept. It's just not something that's set up for that. But I do think the film fails to capture what people going through this are really going through. Though, to be fair, I don't think that's what they were going for. And I've always said that you can't judge a movie for not having something that it was never intended to have. So I know I sound like a hypocrite having said what I said. The casting is certainly solid, but I think the scripting leaves a lot of the heavy lifting to Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. As I mentioned, they're great together. Their chemistry is easygoing and enjoyable, but I believe that even two seasoned actors such as Tom and Julia need something more to work with. And Tom co-wrote (and directed) the damn thing. Again, I get that he (and Nia Vardalos) wanted something a little lighter. Something where you can just watch and not have to worry about antagonizing villains or anything of the sort. They didn't wanna bring you down past Larry getting fired at the beginning. Everything after that is positive in tone and I can appreciate that. We do need films like this. Shit can't always be bleak and depressing, there needs to be a balance. I just wish they had made more of an effort to craft a more intriguing story with characters that have some semblance of depth. I would say that this movie is watchable, but it's not what I would call average either. It falls just slightly short of that. I can't really recommend it, but it gets the job done if you're looking for something that's easy to watch without much in the way of conflict. I love you, Mr. Hanks, but this certainly isn't one of your best films.
August 24, 2017
Really like movie and cast of characters
July 16, 2017
Not that great, but what can I say? Hanks, Hanks, Bitch I'm Tom Hanks...
½ June 18, 2017
It was super cute! Idk why everyone dumped on it. Tom hanks and Julia Roberts are awesome.
½ June 18, 2017
Una comedia romántica con Julia Roberts y Tom Hanks no es la gran cosa pero resulta entretenida.
½ April 18, 2017
I think Larry Crowne often gets a bad rap. My only actual criticism is that Larry didn't have kids; and they didn't backstory his ex-wife. It could have made the film more compelling and more realistic. That being said; the film definitely captures the challenges of the foreclosure/recession era. There were a substantial number of people ages 30ish to 50ish who had to hit the reset button from 2009-2012. People seem to want to block that out. Larry Crowne serves as a gentle reminder that is ok to be down but not out, and persistence and hard work the values this country were founded on. Quite frankly it was one of my favorite movies. Then, again, in 2012; I got divorced, lost my house and ended up going back to school (community college) to start a new career. So I might be biased. Still, even if I related more to Mr. Crowne's story than the average Joe, I think having a little Larry Crowne or Miss Tainot in you is a blessing.
½ February 22, 2017
OMG. Not even one redeeming scene for this super boring movie.
½ February 15, 2017
Great film - really can't understand the bad reviews
½ January 9, 2017
Fun, positive, and uplifting drama, with a touch of romance. Hanks and Mbatha are both charming. The whole tone is delightfully positive.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 31, 2016
Sadly so much talent wasted by a very bland script.
October 29, 2016
Lighted hearted and good natured
August 16, 2016
O jeitão anos 80 e as gargalhadas de Julia Roberts até ajudam, mas nada consegue salvar LARRY CROWNE - O AMOR ESTÁ DE VOLTA da completa bobagem que é.
½ August 8, 2016
Cute movie. I enjoyed it.
½ August 6, 2016
The pairing of my favorite actor and actress failed to impress because every good movie needs a good story, even shallow romcoms. The movie is watchable if you like Hanks and Julia, but mostly fails to entertain cravings of any genre.
July 6, 2016
There were some nice messages but the presentation was out of pace I think.
May 11, 2016
A harmless comedy full of cliches which i'm going to forget in less than a week.
April 12, 2016
I enjoyed this movie, it was was light and amusing. It's nice to occasionally not be bombarded with fast action and noise, and yet be entertained...
April 9, 2016
It's not awful and there are things far worse than this featherweight, bland comedy, but man, what were you thinking, Mr. Hanks?!?! It's a lighthearted film and both Hanks and Roberts are damn likable, but I just didn't see the point of why this film had to be made. Stories like this have been told many times, so why make another conventional comedy? Larry Crowne is immensely forgettable and so damn flimsy. Not awful, but not good either.