The Lavender Hill Mob - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lavender Hill Mob Reviews

September 10, 2016
reel good crime/heist/caper movie UK style
May 7, 2016
Brilliant comedy with outstanding performance by Alec Guinness.
May 11, 2015
Not one of my favourite Ealing comedies...worth a watch though
½ February 15, 2015
A pleasant enough watch, though not as good as 'The Ladykillers' or 'Kind Hearts and Coronets.'
January 28, 2015
An inventive heist comedy where things, as one might anticipate, go a bit off. Regardless of the financial outcome, our protagonists win by coming alive while attempting something extraordinary (if unlawful).
January 23, 2015
The Lavender Hill Mob is the story of a bank clerk, that is in charge of shipments of gold, who gets the idea that he could easily steal a fortune with a little help from some criminals. He is played by Alec Guinness who does a superb job of making the character very innocent and unassuming with vast dreams. His primary conspirator is a man who makes gold-painted souvenirs and has all the right equipment to disguise the riches when they want to smuggle it out of the country. One of the most hilarious scenes of the film is the moment when they decide they need a couple more experienced thieves on their team, and they bait some guys into robbing their shop so they can catch them and then convince them to join up. It is one of the funniest moments of "gathering the team" I have ever seen in a heist film. Naturally, as one would expect in a comedy like this, things don't go quite as planned.

There is a comedy of errors that fill The Lavender Hill Mob, and I was entertained by most of it. However, unlike Kind Hearts and Coronets (another Alec Guinness film I saw recently) I just wasn't connecting with the plight of the characters. They seemed to make several bad decisions, and I wasn't laughing as much as I felt like I should be. The story is still solid, and I can see people getting a lot of enjoyment from this movie, it just didn't grab me as well as other films in this genre have in the past. One other reason you might enjoy watching this film is for the cameos of people who weren't famous at the time but would become famous later. Audrey Hepburn, Robert Shaw, Desmond Llewelyn, even Mr. Belvedere pops up in this film. Most of them have very minor appearances, but it is fun to spot familiar faces. So I will say that this is a recommend, but I wouldn't go out of your way to seek it out.
January 20, 2015
Entretenidisima, el cine en su mejor expresi√¬≤n, una de mis favoritas.
August 5, 2014
(First and only viewing - 11/8/2013)
May 1, 2014
Highly entertaining, much like "The Man in the White Suit". Sir Alec Guinness is truly a wonderful actor.
½ April 2, 2014
The perfect heist is patiently planned by the one person no one would suspect, a meek bank teller only months away from retirement (Alec Guinness). He's had years to consider every detail; and only days to recruit and rehearse his gang.

Watch for Audrey Hepburn's first major movie cameo in the opening restaurant scene!
March 12, 2014
(77%)
A true classic comedy that is as much a joy to watch now as it was way back in the 50's. The pacing is perfect as there is never a dull moment because the great writing always pushes the plot forward so effortlessly, it never bogs down once. It's A genuine treat that is worth tracking down for some innocent light-hearted fun.
January 3, 2014
Very funny, high energy and clever writing elevate this crime caper to a pretty intense height. Not to mention some super inventive shots for the time period. Fans of classic comedy should see this no question!
December 27, 2013
Classic Ealing comedy about a banker who decides to steal £1 million if the gold bullion he has been looking after for his career. Great performances & lovely set-ups help this caper canter along until it's brilliant unexpected finale.
November 20, 2013
Remade with Tom Hanks many years later, this is the ultimate British caper film with a very fine Guinness leading the way. A tight script produces wonders.
November 16, 2013
Here's a random offering that stacks up to be a pleasantly enjoyable black 'n white - playing out in madcap fashion, a lighthearted batch of thieves led by none other than Alec Guinness manage to heist a bank truck full of gold buillon, causing chuckles and sometimes outright laughs all along the way (especially during the final chase scene where Alec and his friend have to escape from a giant exhibit hosted by... the police). 4/5 As far as old-fashioned studio flicks go, this is a B&W that won't bore - the script is fast-paced and there are enough big-screen moments (a stunning shot from atop the Eiffel Tower turns into disabling vertigo) to warrant this a certified fresh afternoon movie classic.
October 1, 2013
Alec Guiness is perfectly charming as the apparently meek Bank supervisor with a dream he desperately wants to fulfill in this fabulous comedy.
May 24, 2013
A trustworthy bank bullion supervisor decides to take advantage of his situation by setting up a gang with an artist and two robbers, and organise a robbery. The Lavender Hill Mob can certainly be taken as a solid example of the type of film making wide use of dark and witty humour which Ealing Studios produced. Set in the British working class, which seemed to widely inspire the renowned production house, the screenplay by T.E.B. Clark is flawless in its cleverness. The cast, including Alec Guinness as the everyman with a darker second personality, is superb. The film as a whole is a timeless classic.
April 24, 2013
Fun, inventive and witty crime caper.
½ March 25, 2013
If you haven't seen any of the comedies that Sir Alec Guinness made at Ealing Studios in the 1950's, then I highly recommend that you do. The Lavender Hill Mob is a heist film like no other, in which mild-mannered bullion office clerk Guinness masterminds a scheme to get the gold out of the country. Charles Crichton directs this so as to raise the tension and also to release the wackiness. Even after watching this many times over the years, I still chortled. See also The Ladykillers, The Man in the White Suit, and Kind Hearts & Coronets.
½ March 22, 2013
Entertaing story with not enough Sid James and too much of the awkward non-comedy actor Alec Guinness.