Leap Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leap Year Reviews

February 20, 2017
- I watched this again and enjoyed it just as much. The reviews weren't great, which I don't get. Amy Adams and Matthew Goode both give excellent performances, and the scenery is great. Plenty of funny parts and well worth a watch.

- I actually quite liked this one. I'm not sure why the critics were so harsh to it, yest it is cheesy and predictable, but it's also fun and enjoyable. The 2 leads are fantastic, Adams is gorgeous and quite funny, and Goode is funny and charming as well. The scenery is gorgeous as it's set in Ireland. Trust me, you could do a lot worse then this film for a rom-com so give it a try!
½ February 1, 2017
Amy Adams delivers the fuck out of a terrible, terrible script.
½ January 29, 2017
An offensive mess of ignorant cultural stereotypes and utterly predictable tropes. Utter waste of time and effort.
½ January 27, 2017
Typical romantic comedy and completely predictable. The beginning felt extremely forced with dialogue and acting. I could have skipped the entire beginning of the movie. The story and dialogue got better closer to the end and chemistry is apparent between Amy's character and Matthew's.
The cinematography was breath-taking, especially the ending scenes on the cliff.
All in all, not a favorite but I wouldn't mind rewatching some of the better clips (the shower scene, the "missing the bus" scene, and the ending where she confronts him in his bar). Plus, I'm a huge Matthew Goode fan so I would rewatch it just for him ;-)
January 6, 2017
I love this movie, surprised more people don't feel the same.
January 4, 2017
Regardless of the reviews. I absolutely adore this movie. It's corny, fun, and one feel good movie.
December 18, 2016
A very cliche little film, held together by Amy Adams who gives her usual good performance. She works well with Goode, even if he looks a little bored. But the silliness of the premise drags any good moments down a bit and making Adam Scott's character so unlikable was a mistake which drags the film down further.
½ November 20, 2016
Basically, Matthew Goode is too good for a film like this. He's meant for what we consider indie films. This was trite and not interesting. Amy Adams does this type well, but I didn't buy the chemistry between them, and I found the movie boring and contrite. Cliche' as it could possibly be, and it didn't do anyone any favors.
November 10, 2016
I never really find romantic comedies funny at all, and this one had me literally laughing out loud so that itself should just show how much I enjoyed this film.
August 27, 2016
What a slut. Left her man of 4 years for a guy she knew for less than a week.
August 21, 2016
A nice little mindless romantic movie that has a predictable ending. I wish I had subtitles for the heavy Irish accent.
May 23, 2016
I enjoy a good romantic comedy, but honestly, I am not a fan of the genre. Leap Year is everything a romantic comedy should be: cheesy, sweet, and downright dull, tedious, and predictable. The film will leave you wondering if there is any way you can make up for that hour and a half you just lost.

The cliched plot is not even the biggest problem, it is a combination of an empty script, the conclusion, and what causes the 'conflict'. It is ridiculous to think a woman is so desperate to marry a man, that she will follow a tradition by a culture she does not even follow in order to do this. The tradition being that woman can propose to men on leap year, and the man has to say yes. Come on. I can safely said I was irritated fifteen minutes into the movie. If there is anything to be praised about this film, is the always enchanting acting of Amy Adams. Her appearance along with Adam Scott's performance, create a believable chemistry throughout the movie that is again and again, ruined by the bare plot.

Leap Year is an example of the typical romantic comedy that tries a little too hard to hide the lack of plot and script, with good acting and gorgeous scenarios. No one is doubting the beauty of Ireland, or the always amazing performance of Amy Adams who shouldn't be getting involved in this kind of blasphemy. But I am doubting everything else in this movie..along with my decision to watch it in the first place.
½ April 21, 2016
not as bad as i expected... could ve made it better by not making it unrealistic at the end...
½ April 9, 2016
Cliched? Yes, far too predictable to have substance. But what do you expect with romantic, chick-flick, comedies? You expect to feel better at the end, and you expect decent acting at least. You get both with this.
April 8, 2016
Una comedia romántica más, pero tiene una gracia especial por los protagonistas. Muy tierna/divertida para pasar el rato.
April 6, 2016
A fun and quirky romantic comedy, Leap Year delivers a lot of laughs. A woman frustrated in her relationship decides to pay a surprise visit to her boyfriend while he's on a business trip to Dublin and use an Irish tradition that allows a woman to propose to a man on Leap Day (February 29) to propose to him; but her plans are thrown for a loop when her plane is diverted and she's forced to hire a guide to get her to Dublin. Amy Adams and Matthew Goode have great chemistry together and delivery some very good performances. And the comedy is well-done, with a nice mix of clever jokes and slapstick. Still, at its core Leap Year is a stereotypical romantic comedy that sticks to formula.
April 3, 2016
Love their chemistry. Great ending to the movie. No idea why she was with the first guy. Such an ass.
March 1, 2016
A nice feel good flick on a rainy morning!
February 29, 2016
It's a shame Leap year happens every 4 years!
½ February 29, 2016
A decent romantic comedy film that has great acting and beautiful scenery.